• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

mclem

Honda have sacked Arai and Sato for their failures over the past year, announcement to be made today according to Autosport.pt

That seems like curious timing. Why do it just before the start of the season? I could have understood right at the end of the previous one - getting fresh leadership into the Christmas break but right now it seems like the result can only be negative.

Well, unless it was effectively implemented last year and is only official now (gardening leave?)

frontieruk

Ha, I just saw the 2006 pole time.

1:14.648

Suspect it'll be a long ass time before we get back there.

were there big rule changes in 07? or did qualifying drop to ~1:20.5 due to the track changes?

New Holland chicane

Two more fast corners were neutered in 2007: Europcar and New Holland. Again, this was because the organisers felt the corners were being taken too quickly for the amount of run-off area available.

Like the other changed parts of the circuit the original corners are still there but are no longer used for Formula 1.

Zeknurn

I wonder if anyone this year would choose usofts on an unsuitable track like this (depending on Pirelli's selection) for the quali benefit fully expecting to do a mega short first stint?

According to Sky the ultrasoft tyres will only be available on "smooth street-track style tracks this year". But yeah, they had the same suggestion that it would be great if Pirelli brought them to several races this year if only to be used basically as qualifying tyres.

Actually, the only thing they've proven is that by having a severely more powerful engine package is such an advantage, that aero is fairly insignificant by comparison.

This is further proven by Red Bull and Toro Rosso last year, who are both said to have some of the best aero packages on the grid, completely crippled by a slightly lacking power unit.

Are you Adrian Newey by any chance?

They may have some of the best aero, but they are still lacking compared to Mercedes whose car doesn't really seem to have any shortcomings. For instance, RBR still has a very draggy car, so very inefficient downforce; Toro Rosso is better in that respect but they lack the overall downforce levels of the RBR.

Again, having a skinny car doesn't mean you have more downforce. For instance, in 2012, the MP4-27 had more peak downforce than the RB8 and yet was a much fatter car. The front wing is probably the most important aerodynamic piece on the car and that's where Mercedes probably have a big advantage.

Odd, I like them both from the on track pictures I've seen.

Really not sure how you could call the Ferrari shit looking. No accounting for taste I guess.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
The Red Bull looks incredible. The paint finish is just....

hhnnnnggg

Meanwhile. Ferrari looks like absolute shit

Interested in how they'll clean the matte paint between sessions. It's notoriously difficult to clean on road cars without polishing it out.

On a similar topic, I wonder if anyone has considered textured surfaces for aero benefit before? I know that dimples can improve aerodynamics - like a golf ball.

I remember reading about the manufacturer of suits for downhill skiers testing something similar based on the texture of shark skin.

Lunch break.

NtrKg1r.jpg

DD

Interested in how they'll clean the matte paint between sessions. It's notoriously difficult to clean on road cars without polishing it out.
Nothing looks better than a dirty race car:

audi-wins-lemans-620x350.jpg

On a similar topic, I wonder if anyone has considered textured surfaces for aero benefit before? I know that dimples can improve aerodynamics - like a golf ball.

I remember reading about the manufacturer of suits for downhill skiers testing something similar based on the texture of shark skin.

I think it's forbidden.

That seems like curious timing. Why do it just before the start of the season? I could have understood right at the end of the previous one - getting fresh leadership into the Christmas break but right now it seems like the result can only be negative.

Well, unless it was effectively implemented last year and is only official now (gardening leave?)

Annual reshuffle according to the Honda press release, Arai doesn't go until March 1st.

Honda insider at vtec forums:

You do not shame Honda racing or the dinosaur legends ex-Honda F1 engineers will get you.They hold so much power just like the old man!

What this states is that Honda is run by the wrong people at the moment. yes man over get it done men.

So a rogue r&d team with backing from the dinosaurs on their own time did a better job than the present F1 engineering team!

The final straw for him was the new TC designed by the 'Rogue R&D Engineers supported by retired ex-Honda F1 Engineers' won the internal comp!

Arai was 100% against their design so they did it behind his back with the blessing of the F1 Legends.

This is why it will not be ready until the first race.

Arai was just thick headed and was going to stick with last years failed design....keep on doing the say thing thinking it will do better cost him his job!

This new (F1 Legend) PU will be used in test 2 as he mentioned a few weeks ago.

ramparter

Banned
At least McLaren are putting a lot of laps. Usually when it comes to pre season testing this is much more important than lap times.

Staab

Yes, but, admittedly, with a barely updated 2014 car and a 2014 Ferrari engine :p
They now have a proper 2016 chassis and a 2016 Mercedes engine.

And Mercedes is the only team that so far used only medium compound

When I see the amount of laps they're putting down and compare them to Ferrari, I'm getting really worried again. I know they're on different schedules and whatnot, but most teams came with an evolution of the previous car, while Ferrari went mental again.

Someone hold me.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
When I see the amount of laps they're putting down and compare them to Ferrari, I'm getting really worried again. I know they're on different schedules and whatnot, but most teams came with an evolution of the previous car, while Ferrari went mental again.

Someone hold me.

Probably overthinking it. Although Mercedes seem to not be rising to the bait and being sensible.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Probably overthinking it. Although Mercedes seem to not be rising to the bait and being sensible.

I have a feeling that Ferrari is luring them to try a fast run on softer ryre, but they rather just cruise around the track on mediums, doing 12 or 22 lap stints...

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Someone hold me.

You don't win titles if you take no risks.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Rosberg at 115 laps already with 2 hours and 15 minutes to go. Alonso also in triple digits
Renault done for today.

Mercedes knows they have it in the bag. Last year they never used the super soft during the entire 12 days of testing.

I just cannot imagine what kind of panic would they create with low fuel run on ultra softs. Autosport forum would be down for whole week.

kmag

Rosberg at 115 laps already with 2 hours and 15 minutes to go. Alonso also in triple digits
Renault done for today.

I just cannot imagine what kind of panic would they create with low fuel run on ultra softs. Autosport forum would be down for whole week.

They're going to keep the illusion of a competition until the first race after which we'll get 2-3 months of promised upgrades from the usual suspects which won't close the gap at all. After which Hamilton and Rosberg will be comfortably ahead of the pack and everyone will start talking about next year.

Icefire1424

They're going to keep the illusion of a competition until the first race after which we'll get 2-3 months of promised upgrades from the usual suspects which won't close the gap at all. After which Hamilton and Rosberg will be comfortably ahead of the pack and everyone will start talking about next year.

Stop that. :p Some of us want to keep the dream of an actual competition alive!

Edit: Actually, I just don't want to think that Mercedes is actually sandbagging. If the Silver Arrow is considerably quicker than the field, I would have thought Hamilton would have "accidentally" put in a fast lap given how many he took yesterday.

Icefire1424

Hard to accidentally set a lap that fast when your car is completely full of fuel.

Ah, touche'. If it wasn't painfully obvious at this point, I've only been able to check in on the results of testing a couple times throughout the day. Missed that they were keeping a full load of fuel.

Ah, touche'. If it wasn't painfully obvious at this point, I've only been able to check in on the results of testing a couple times throughout the day. Missed that they were keeping a full load of fuel.

That's what they have done for the most part in 2014 and 2015. They never went for an all-out glory run at any time except for some qualifying simulation on the last day of the last test (on soft tyres mind you, not super softs).

They seem to be focusing on race sims/setups and tyre degradation under heavy fuel loads.

Lego Boss

I've got a mate who says it'll be 'closer' this time around.

If by closer he means that Ferrari will win four races instead of three he's right.

Mercs already have it. The only question is if Lolberg can challenge #blessed.

I've got a mate who says it'll be 'closer' this time around.

If by closer he means that Ferrari will win four races instead of three he's right.

Mercs already have it. The only question is if Lolberg can challenge #blessed.

I think the field will be more bunched up overall, but I'm not sure if anybody will get closer to the Mercs.

Top Bottom