• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

spuckthew

Re new quali:

They're basically just wording it so that it sounds all new and fresh and exciting. In reality it will be near identical to the current format. Currently, top teams do some laps and pit because they know they will go through. In the proposed new format, top teams will do some laps before the elimination timer and pit because they know they're safe. It might get the mid-low tier teams on track more, but only because they often rely on last-ditch attempts near the end of Q1 - or maybe Q2 if they're lucky - to get through. Again, it'll probably have negligible impact on top teams. I'll admit Q3 could be fun to watch.

Time ballast is bullshit though. Hope it doesn't happen. It will ruin a driver's stats if they would have got pole due to setting a faster time, only to have it removed with some bullshit and totally unnecessary handicap.

Zeknurn

vNVqxFI.jpg

xrnzaaas

Adding ballast is literally one of the worst ideas I've heard in a long time. And that's a big achievement since most of the proposals for changes in F1 are bullshit.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Adding ballast is literally one of the worst ideas I've heard in a long time. And that's a big achievement since most of the proposals for changes in F1 are bullshit.

We're now living in a world where Abu Double and Fanboost made it off the drawing board.

Nothing surprises me any more.

Staab

Who comes up with that shit, like seriously ?
It's like they're sitting in a room thinking "what could be the most artificial and weird way to change this sport up?!"

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Re new quali:

They're basically just wording it so that it sounds all new and fresh and exciting. In reality it will be near identical to the current format. Currently, top teams do some laps and pit because they know they will go through. In the proposed new format, top teams will do some laps before the elimination timer and pit because they know they're safe. It might get the mid-low tier teams on track more, but only because they often rely on last-ditch attempts near the end of Q1 - or maybe Q2 if they're lucky - to get through. Again, it'll probably have negligible impact on top teams. I'll admit Q3 could be fun to watch.

Time ballast is bullshit though. Hope it doesn't happen. It will ruin a driver's stats if they would have got pole due to setting a faster time, only to have it removed with some bullshit and totally unnecessary handicap.

It doesn't change stats, the polesetter will still have won the pole. Just in the starting grid he will be a bit behind. Since the best drivers are typically in the front rows in qualifying they only get a .2 second disadvantage between one another. That's not a lot. But it leads to more interesting races because they can't just drive away and turn on fuel and engine saving mode two laps into the race.

Time ballast is much weaker than the actual ballast we see in some series cause it doesn't influence race performance. It's a smart idea to counter the weak races we've seen by messing up the starting grid.

Zeknurn

To be fair, if I had that much money and raced cars for a living I'd be doing the same. I'd have a Rottweiler, though.

I wonder if someone has told him that basically all of those wheely things will blow up at some point. Maybe it was a gift from Rosberg?

Toro Rosso seems to have a lot of reliability issues. The test has been red flagged half an hour ago, because Sainz stranded.

I wonder if the packaging is too tight for the 2015 Ferrari.

John_B

Hamilton on some haters gonna hate.

Qualifying is pretty much how it should be at the moment. The only issue is a lack of teams that can rival Mercedes. It's been Hamilton versus Rosberg for pole two seasons straight. Add two more teams in the mix and the format is plenty exciting.

I think they are weakening the appeal of the sport with all these rules that shuffles things around to force exciting races. Are we seriously going to cheer the guy who came in third in qualifying as the driver of the day because the others were penalized for having more points?

They need to do the hard thing and get on top of how the cars are build. Mandate beauty, speed and keep all the cars in the same performance category. The grid is filled with great drivers. The races will be exciting if they are able to compete with each other.

nekkid

I really enjoyed Ted's rant about the quali rule change, and I agree.

I don't actually think this new 2016 quali format is that bad, but neither was last year's. The fact remains that the focus on change is entirely wrong.

Lach

I really enjoyed Ted's rant about the quali rule change, and I agree.

I don't actually think this new 2016 quali format is that bad, but neither was last year's. The fact remains that the focus on change is entirely wrong.

I actually like the new quali but at the same time think it's too complicated. Also there wasn't anything inherently wrong with the Quali's last year. There were plenty of times a team was waiting to run until the last moment and they had to pay the price for it....

Jezbollah

Seems like this new qualifying format is just trying to get the possibility of grid shakeup as high as possible without the artificial means such as reverse grids etc.

hadareud

The Translator
The Sky F1 liveblog is doing damage control for McLaren every other minute which is pretty funny.

That's damage control?

One team conspicuous by their absence on our evolving fastest laps chart for the Barcelona test remains McLaren.

To date, their fastest lap time is a 1:26.082 set by Fernando Alonso yesterday on the soft tyres – some four seconds off the benchmark of Sebastian Vettel on the ultrasofts and still almost a second down on today’s table-topper by Hulkenberg on mediums.
So how concerned should McLaren fans be?

Well the good news is that the new car is proving supremely reliable. In the opening two days of testing the MP4-31 recorded as many laps as the MP4-30 managed in both of last year’s tests at Barcelona combined.

As for outright pace, the team insist they haven’t yet gone looking for it. According to Alonso, his day behind the wheel was spent on system checks and all the things “that are not very exciting” to a driver. “Most of the day was spent running at the harder end of tyre compound scale, so we shouldn’t read too much into the absolute lap times,” added Matt Morris.

Which is reassuring.

What do you expect them to say?

They're shite, but they're telling us that they may not by quite as shit as it looks, but we think that they are even worse than it looks now and that everything about them that isn't shit yet will go to shit very soon?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Well the good news is that the new car is proving supremely reliable. In the opening two days of testing the MP4-31 recorded as many laps as the MP4-30 managed in both of last year’s tests at Barcelona combined.

Unless they are running the engine under full load, reliability is not automatically good news. One of their issues last season was that they oftentimes could not use the engine to the max without trashing it.

Kimi gets in the car, car turns to shit. Fantastic.

30 minutes before lunch break, Kimi heads out. Installation lap.

Ferrari is doomed.

"Cockpit protection to also be introduced in 2017. Currently the Halo concept is the preferred one. Other options being evaluated as well"

"Driver of the day award in the pipeline. Fans will get to vote for the Driver of the Day. The winner will be announced after the race"

Juicy Bob

Unless they are running the engine under full load, reliability is not automatically good news. One of their issues last season was that they oftentimes could not use the engine to the max without trashing it.
That is also a pretty odd thing for them to say.

Last year was their first time running the new car and engine. Now they've had a full season's racing with that engine. Of-fucking-course the car is going to be more reliable than last year's...

nekkid

Yes please...

I wouldn't expect it to make any difference. These engines are pretty frugal as it is, and are rarely filled to the brim. There will still be a trade off between weight and performance under a lift and coast condition, and the latter doesn't impact lap times a huge amount if they're a good driver.

A minimum fuel limit would achieve more, but is too complicated to define that moving target when track variations and environmental conditions have considerable impact.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Of-fucking-course the car is going to be more reliable than last year's...

Changes to the engine could have caused a regression in reliability. But yeah, it is highly unlikely that they would go back to the terrible state they found themselves in in early 2015. They now have much more data and experience with the engine.

Still, until they demonstrate some good engine performance while maintaining reliability, there is no reason to think that they are in a much better place now. And I still find it interesting that Arai got fired right after car and engine got integrated and tested together for the very first time.

darkinstinct

Yes please...

Wouldn't make a difference, refueling isn't ever going to come back. So they will still be stuck with the same overall fuel maximum. From there it's just math to get the right balance between car weight and fuel consumption, which they do nowadays already.

Aiii

So not worth it
"Last year we were not ready," said Alonso, speaking after his first day in the car. "This year we are going to take an important step forward, and let's hope it's a very important step.

"And in 2017 - I have three years of my contract - let's hope the step is even bigger to beat Mercedes.

"I think only McLaren-Honda can beat them. I still think the same."

Alonso has gone full Wax Free. Poor guy is delusional at this point.

dubc35

Good God that Haryanto interview was excruciating.

Interesting about reliability and thermal issues at Ferrari.

It was pretty bad. Ted kept it going pretty well but I think he was nervous and probably more nervous since English isn't his first language. I think he'll loosen up as the season goes on. But yes, it was bad. The contrast from K-Mag's interview early didn't help either, lol.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes decided to put both drivers in action, because it is better for their well being to be in car only half of the day, compared to marathon whole day sessions

And they are once more doing lap after lap after lap

Honda is in gimp mode, they've had a problem since day 1:

http://as-web.jp/news/info.php?c_id=1&no=71176

- certain issue(s) in certain part(s) around the inlet that we've been having for a while, but the components to rectify the issue could not be ready in time for this test, so we were running it knowing that we might be encountering trouble.
at the same time, we knew how to deal with the trouble if the expected trouble occurred indeed.

- Also after the trouble occurred, we wanted to gather as much mileage as possible even if scarifying the performance as a result, so we continued to run it by altering how to use it.

- We'd like to introduce revised/improved PU as soon as possible

http://streamable.com/pnqv

Lewis-Hamilton-Mercedes-Formel-1-Test-Barcelona-24-Februar-2016-fotoshowBigImage-33aff783-929651.jpg

darkinstinct

Mercedes decided to put both drivers in action, because it is better for their well being to be in car only half of the day, compared to marathon whole day sessions

And they are once more doing lap after lap after lap

Hamilton is already complaining about neck pain because he hasn't been to a fitness studio in months. Blessed professional.

Top Bottom