• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Ryne

Hamilton is already complaining about neck pain because he hasn't been to a fitness studio in months. Blessed professional.

That's not what he said.

Hamilton attended a sponsor event in Barcelona on Tuesday night and said then that, while he felt good, he was also sore after his first stint in a Formula One car since last November's season-ending race.

"It's like doing a workout if you haven't been to the gym for a couple of months or something like that," motorsport.com quoted him as saying. "Then the next day you have that soreness. It's exactly the same.

"So the back of my neck, because of the G-forces we are pulling is crazy... I feel my neck a little bit and my lower back."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...keep-drivers-fresh-675348/?v=2&s=1&q=hamilton

Yeah, someone twisted his words purposely.

RoKKeR

Looks like another positive day for Haas. Strong lap count and good timing. (albeit on softs) Performing about as well in testing as you could hope for a new team like them.

The Manor looks great.

XlOUei5.jpg

That does look good.

Honda's new boss is saying the objective for this season is regular Q3.

He did not attend the Arai School of Hype.

P.S.: New quali system is a mess.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
So now we're getting qualifying akin to elimination ala forza and other games?

Could be interesting if ratifyied

It won't change much. It's not true elimination where the last on the track is gone, just the slowest. Here's how it's going to work out: Everybody goes out at the beginning of a session, drive as fast as necessary to reach the next session. The best will be at the top. The rest can then decide when they do their second lap. The last racers will go to the pit and immediately do another run. During that run some racers will be eliminated as it takes about five minutes for a stint with one fast lap including changing the tires, but every 90 seconds somebody is eliminated. They can't do more than two or three laps at all because of tire set limitations and they can't do multiple runs on a given set because they have to start the race with the set they had during their best lap. So nothing will change - which is why this easily passed the teams consent.

It really only changes when racers will do their second stint in a session, leading to less traffic for the top teams, leading to less surprises. Of course the first few minutes will now be more crowded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35655208

I have a feeling Mercedes isn't as fast as they think they are. They are pounding round with remarkable consistency, but so was Ferrari in 2011 and they ended up firmly behind RBR and McLaren once the season started and everyone turned up the wick.

AMuS reporting that Mercedes brought only medium component tyre for first four days of testing

Not sure why they did that. Hubris? Medium is probably the most important tyre race-wise, but considering Mercedes' only true weakness in 2014 and 2015 was turning on softer compounds, it's baffling that they haven't even tried the soft or supersoft.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35655208

I have a feeling Mercedes isn't as fast as they think they are. They are pounding round with remarkable consistency, but so was Ferrari in 2011 and they ended up firmly behind RBR and McLaren once the season started and everyone turned up the wick.

We will get clearer picture next week. But I think that they know precisely how fast they are, so it is all PR smokescreen.

[
Not sure why they did that. Hubris? Medium is probably the most important tyre race-wise, but considering Mercedes' only true weakness in 2014 and 2015 was turning on softer compounds, it's baffling that they haven't even tried the soft or supersoft.
They wont even test soft compound (from the same article), only supersofts and ultra softs next week. Looks like they have engine/car evaluation this week (long, heavy runs), next week they will test qualification stuff (short, light runs). Other teams are also running on mediums for most of the time...

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
New Mercedes nose mountings are ridiculous. If they actually hold it'll make Haas look a bit daft.

90VbCT7l.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Even if that holds on track, how on Earth will they hold when you accidentally go a bit wide and hit a curb?

nekkid

They weighed 4 kg in 2004, are now probably down to less than 2 kg with new composite materials. They could hold with much less, they can't because of crash test regulations.

That's static. Under aero load that will be significantly higher.

ramparter

Banned
Material weight doesn't matter that much. The force applied by the air when going full speed on straights is several times higher.

edit: beaten

jdw_b

That new nose is pretty impressive.

The mountings are tiny, and notice the little opening on the underside for the S-Duct

jey_16

Banned
the design on that Merc is absolutely gorgeous, makes everyone else look like toy cars

the Ferrari penis nose is making me angry, they could have at least done it like RBR/STR

nekkid

the design on that Merc is absolutely gorgeous, makes everyone else look like toy cars

the Ferrari penis nose is making me angry, they could have at least done it like RBR/STR

This statement, haha.

mclem

It won't change much. It's not true elimination where the last on the track is gone, just the slowest. Here's how it's going to work out: Everybody goes out at the beginning of a session, drive as fast as necessary to reach the next session. The best will be at the top. The rest can then decide when they do their second lap. The last racers will go to the pit and immediately do another run. During that run some racers will be eliminated as it takes about five minutes for a stint with one fast lap including changing the tires, but every 90 seconds somebody is eliminated.

Can they complete their current lap?

Lach

It's basically, that instead a buch of drivers get eliminated at the end of Quali-Sub-Session, its always one single driver at shorter intervals.

No, I think it's the slowest time on the board at that point.
Whaaa? That's even more stupid than it already sounded, which is saying a lot. This is going to make qualifying extremely hard to follow. My biggest issue is how boring it'll make Q3. Were this a video game it'd be awesome! Endless action! All cars on track! Lap after lap! But F1 doesn't work that way.

Someone mentioned yesterday that it might be a good format for Formula E with the short tracks. Or the NASCAR/Indy ovals.

"Race MVP" sounds so, ugh, no. This is F1. No trophies awarded on the basis of social media participation, please. Those kind of tech tie-ins can stick with the more appropriate atmosphere of Formula E.
It's basically, that instead a buch of drivers get eliminated at the end of Quali-Sub-Session, its always one single driver at shorter intervals.
Which is silly since everyone goes out twice per session anyway. This will prevent people from going out mid-session or gambling on tyre strategies. Q3 will be one hot lap per car other than the final 2, which is just boring.

nekkid

Whaaa? That's even more stupid than it already sounded, which is saying a lot. This is going to make qualifying extremely hard to follow. My biggest issue is how boring it'll make Q3. Were this a video game it'd be awesome! Endless action! All cars on track! Lap after lap! But F1 doesn't work that way.

Someone mentioned yesterday that it might be a good format for Formula E with the short tracks. Or the NASCAR/Indy ovals.

"Race MVP" sounds so, ugh, no. This is F1. No trophies awarded on the basis of social media participation, please. Those kind of tech tie-ins can stick with the more appropriate atmosphere of Formula E.

I dunno. It won't mean a lot to those at the front, but it sounds like a nice way of recognising the often exceptional performance of someone in the midfield.

Lach

Just watched yesterdays Ted's Notebook.

I love the discussion on the Red Bull paint, wether it's some nano level hydro (or aero-) phobic stuff that helps the car go faster.

I spent some time last year thinking about this, wether that might be a thing teams could do to get faster, maybe even with painting certain patterns on the car. Back then I thought there would at most be microscopical advantages to be gained, but if this is indeed what RB are going for (which is still speculation) there might be more possibilites.

Top Bottom