• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Jezbollah

Nothing to do with the BBC's intelligence.

The government's first step in trying to destroy the BBC has been successful. Over the next few years they will cut it down to a point where it's marginalised so their sponsor has the market to himself.

And what about the Olympics?

I had hopes that without Top Gear, they could spend that money on F1 instead. It would've been such a better investment, too. Fuck.

Jezbollah

Priorities.

Indeed.

So, I looked at the existing major sporting rights that the BBC holds. It is as follows:

Football:
Match Of The Day (highlights)
FA Cup (Live, until 2018)
FIFA World Cup (Live Shared with ITV)

Tennis
Wimbledon (Live, until 2017)
Australian Open (Live, Finals only, with one additional men’s semi finals)
Queens Club (Live)
Eastbourne (Live)
Davis Cup Tennis (Live, shared with Eurosport, until 2017)
ATP World Tour Finals (Live, shared with Sky Sports)

Rugby Union
Six Nations (Live, shared with ITV until 2021)
Autumn Internationals (England Highlights, Live for Scotland/Wales)

Rugby League
Challenge Cup (Live, semi finals and finals only)
Four Nations (Live)
Rugby League World Cup (Live)
Highlights show containing action from: Super League, Magic Weekend, Super 8s, Grand Final)

Olympics
Summer Olympics (Live)
Winter Olympics (Live)

Commonwealth Games (Live)

Athletics
European Athletics Championship (Live)
London Marathon (Live)
Great North Run (Live)
Diamond League (Live for British rounds and final two meetings, and selective live coverage)
IAAF World Athletics (Live, until 2017)

Golf
British Open (Live, until 2017)
US Masters (Live for Thursday and Friday, shared with Sky Sports)
BMW PGA Championship (highlights)
Scottish Open (highlights)
Women’s British Open

Snooker
World Snooker Championships
Masters
UK Championships
Welsh Open

Other Sports:
Alpine Skying World Cup (under Ski Sunday banner)
University Boat Race
Invictus Games
Badminton and Burghley Horse Trials (highlights)
NFL - Coverage of the International Series games from Wembley, and live coverage of the Super Bowl

I think the BBC's strategy is clear here - the demographic of those who watch these events are clearly a large percentage of the population who probably cant or wouldn't pay for Sky - I am thinking the age group of 30-70 in both sexes.

The fact that someone said that cutting F1 could cover Match Of The Day coverage until 2019 makes the decision a no-brainer IMO, as much of a shame that is.

One of the most popular shows in the world versus a dead motorsport. Yeah... Top Gear was far better value.

I don't know. I think I'd rather watch Hamilton win 19 races in a row than another attempt of Clarkson trying to be funny.

Look at me, internet dude hating on a popular show!

dubc35

Anyone know how solid F1 is on Sky? Might be time to get Sky for next season but if they're gonna ditch it as well I won't bother.

I'm not sure on pre/post-race coverage but their on track coverage isn't too bad. Crofty yells a lot but Brundle is as good as always IMO.

Ronbo on ALO's R&R during Brazil qualy:
"I chuckled to myself, to be honest," Dennis said when asked about the moment. "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. There's nothing wrong with a bit of humour. And Fernando is as hard-working as he is talented, be in no doubt of that.

Anyone know how solid F1 is on Sky? Might be time to get Sky for next season but if they're gonna ditch it as well I won't bother.

Brundle and Kravitz is good, Crofty is annoying, Hill useless and Herbert likeable but pretty much says the obvious.

I think Brundle and Kravtiz give it a little edge over BBC, can't stand Eddie.

P.S.: Wonderboy's following is a cult. Fact.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Formula-e practice red-flagged because Vergne's car stopped. Green-flagged but immediately red-flagged again because Vergne was still walking on the track instead of off-track....

CWld-ozWwAAwv8d.jpg

edit: lol, he found a random bicycle. Where are the scooters?

CWlffnqU8AENC5S.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wasn't much of a fan of the sport prior to the BBC taking over from ITV in 2008-ish so I don't have much of an opinion right now. Is DC under contract at the BBC? I always enjoy him so perhaps he could go to ITV?

We had this with brindle when F1 went to sky originally. We lost one good commentator and got lucky with DC. Not sure what will happen with ITV. Quite enjoying the Suzy/DC combo on BBC

Seems a short sighted move that won't really save a huge amount of money but will lose them a lot of goodwill.

What's this about the player loophole? Is that people pretending they only ever watch live TV on I player which currently doesn't require a license fee? Why can't they close it more quickly?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm not changing provider just for F1 but I might see how expensive sky sports is to add to Virgin media. Will see what ITV coverage is like first.

Edit: lol - £29 for sky sports including sky F1, plus £7 if I want them in HD. Sod that

I'm not changing provider just for F1 but I might see how expensive sky sports is to add to Virgin media. Will see what ITV coverage is like first.

Edit: lol - £29 for sky sports including sky F1, plus £7 if I want them in HD. Sod that
I don't have Virgin, so I'd get Now TV for it. Wouldn't get a dish on the wall just for F1.

Zeknurn

Villeneuve's car was damaged too much after his incident in qualifying which means he won't be taking part in the race.

Zeknurn

I also thought about Audi. Or another German manufacturer... Maybe even Mercedes. Imagine that :p

I don't know if Mercedes has shown any interest but BMW is a prime candidate considering they already provide the safety car.

Dragon is the Williams of Formula E.

Great stuff from Di Grassi though.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I don't know if Mercedes has shown any interest but BMW is a prime candidate considering they already provide the safety car.

Well, Mercedes is expanding their interests, so Formula E could be another target for them. If not them, so BMW is the logical candidate.

First pit stops

Top Bottom