• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Sounds like Ricciardo is out, if Red Bull doesn't show promise for 2017.

Facing what many believe could be another difficult season with Red Bull, who for 2016 will continue with Renault with the engines rebranded as TAG Heuer, Ricciardo admits his loyalty to the team will only go so far.

He told the Sydney Morning Herald: “It’s one of those ones. Of course there’s loyalty and that’s a big one and, sure, if I could choose any team that I want to win my first World title with, then it’s Red Bull.”

“But, he added, “at the same time, I don’t want to spend 10 years in the sport being loyal and not getting any championship from it, so you’ve obviously got to balance it.”

Ryne

Rumor that this is the new Renault livery. They did say it was gonna be more yellow last week. So could be it.

UqNga4o.jpg

Nice, bring back the yellow!

Zeknurn

Facing what many believe could be another difficult season with Red Bull, who for 2016 will continue with Renault with the engines rebranded as TAG Heuer, Ricciardo admits his loyalty to the team will only go so far.

He told the Sydney Morning Herald: “It’s one of those ones. Of course there’s loyalty and that’s a big one and, sure, if I could choose any team that I want to win my first World title with, then it’s Red Bull.”

“But, he added, “at the same time, I don’t want to spend 10 years in the sport being loyal and not getting any championship from it, so you’ve obviously got to balance it.”

He should be careful with what he's saying because he might end up without a seat.

Aiii

So not worth it
He should be careful with what he's saying because he might end up without a seat.

With both Sainz and Verstappen knocking on that RB door, and the other top teams being pretty much on lock for the next few years, perhaps.

I reckon Mercedes will be dropping Rosberg past this season, but I imagine they want a young driver that can take over for Hamilton as #1 driver in a few years and Kimi is on his last year at Ferrari probably, but no way Vettel is going to let Ricciardo have that seat. He might be shit out of luck.

Massa

With both Sainz and Verstappen knocking on that RB door, and the other top teams being pretty much on lock for the next few years, perhaps.

I reckon Mercedes will be dropping Rosberg past this season, but I imagine they want a young driver that can take over for Hamilton as #1 driver in a few years and Kimi is on his last year at Ferrari probably, but no way Vettel is going to let Ricciardo have that seat. He might be shit out of luck.

Vettel may love for him to get that seat. It would be his chance to do what he couldn't do at RBR, this time in much more favorable conditions.

Chris R

Ricky to take Kimi's seat and show Seb how it's really done yet again.

Shaneus

Interesting. I'm sure if he were to leave RBR he'd be able to get a seat elsewhere, but it depends where there's room. Could be Ferrari, could be Sauber, could be McL. Needs to curb his honesty just a little.

Zeknurn

Audi will take over the ABT Formula E team next season when the regulations continue to get relaxed. They don't need Formula 1 one bit.

I'm still surprised that Renault decided to commit to this dying sport. Especially since they're going to mill about in mid field until the next power unit change.

Much like with his life, Bernie is keeping this sport alive on borrowed time.

You think Red Bull would prefer a driver that is happy not to be in contention for championships?

I'm just saying that Red Bull would be prepared to drop a driver that isn't fully committed to the Red Bull brand and team.

The Toro Rosso looks like a Toro Rosso.
FwhpycX.jpg

Lach

Only way I know how to judge an F1 car is by the complexity of the front wing. Sauber C35's looks very basic. Overall Chasis looks better though than last years.

Aiii

So not worth it
The Toro Rosso might be my favorite as far as the design goes, beautiful lines and some very cool small aero bits on there.

Much better nose design than Ferrari, too.

I wonder if Ferrari is going shorten the nose throughout the year or if they're going to keep it, like last year. It looks so bad.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Much better nose design than Ferrari, too.

I wonder if Ferrari is going shorten the nose throughout the year or if they're going to keep it, like last year. It looks so bad.

They are using some intermediate version, because they cannot get true Mercedes like nose through the crash tests

Mercedes doing aero work this morning, 5 laps stints with car full of sensors

They are using some intermediate version, because they cannot get true Mercedes like nose through the crash tests

Mercedes doing aero work this morning, 5 laps stints with car full of sensors

Interesting and worrying, as always with Ferrari.

But at least they're challenging Mercedes in terms of sensors on their cars.

aNetHQe.jpg

I kinda want to see Kimi going off track, just so I could say "Kimi is plowing through the field!"

Theorry

TR is going quick.

--

The Buxton Blog ‏@thebuxtonblog
Well, the cars are definitely louder. Mercedes markedly so. First time in years I've closed my ears on straight to have a conversation.

I spent some time at the pit lane exit this morning and the cars are noticeably louder. The majority of people around me put their fingers in their ears as the cars passed down the pit straight. I don't think I ever saw that happen last season.
Lawrence Barretto

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
TR is going quick.

--

The Buxton Blog ‏@thebuxtonblog
Well, the cars are definitely louder. Mercedes markedly so. First time in years I've closed my ears on straight to have a conversation.

I spent some time at the pit lane exit this morning and the cars are noticeably louder. The majority of people around me put their fingers in their ears as the cars passed down the pit straight. I don't think I ever saw that happen last season.
Lawrence Barretto

I still fail to see how that affects me when 95% of the season I'm watching it on TV. And quite honestly the last couple of years I've quite enjoyed watching at the track and being able to talk to people, and hearing the tyre squeals.

...and as an alternate viewpoint, when I went to the races I felt like a significant amount of the appeal of the cars had been lost. Especially basically not being able to hear them until you're actually at the track (in the old days you could hear them from literally miles away from the track, which really build the excitement on the way in).

Mercedes on softs for the first time during testing.

1:23.022

7 days ago, Vettel did 1:22.810 on Ultra Softs, Ricciardo did 1:23.525.

Too soon call the season off?

nekkid

...and as an alternate viewpoint, when I went to the races I felt like a significant amount of the appeal of the cars had been lost. Especially basically not being able to hear them until you're actually at the track (in the old days you could hear them from literally miles away from the track, which really build the excitement on the way in).

If you're hearing the F1 cars as you're coming to the track, you're doing a GP weekend wrong.

Theorry

Mercedes on softs for the first time during testing.

1:23.022

7 days ago, Vettel did 1:22.810 on Ultra Softs, Ricciardo did 1:23.525.

Too soon call the season off?

Nah. Last two days we have a way better picture. Then everybody is going to run softs, low fuel etc.

nekkid

?

I assume you're talking about camping... in which case, fuck that. I camp only for Le Mans. F1 is all about ridiculous extravagance.

As in you should damn well be in your seat when they're on track.

Aiii

So not worth it
Alonso on the softs barely outpacing the other teams and still behind Toro Rosso, Williams and Ferrari on Medium tires. There's a severe risk of them being the backmarkers this season.

Top Bottom