• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Zeknurn

@ScarbsF1
Here's what the 2017 Halo solution is really going to look like 52mm CDS steel tube mounted over the cockpit
CcmzZYAXIAAF80a.jpg

Someone left a bicycle handlebar on my F1 car.

Business

It'll be fun to see how they represent that bar in racing games with F1 cars... Gonna need a VR headset to make it decent.

Ark

F1 2016 |OT| This thread is no longer available due to a copyright claim by FOM

or

Formula 1 2016 |OT| Thread is no longer available due to a copyright claim by FOM

I'll use the second one :p

That roll hoop is not only hideous, but how are they supposed to see anything?!

Aiii

So not worth it
His line of sight is low enough that only the middle pillar is in the way.

Yeah, that's what I figure as well.

I'm sure people a lot smarter than me have figured this one out. And hey, that's what a test is for.

It might be ugly, but they have to put safety before aesthetics.

spuckthew

Driver feedback will be super important for this. It's one thing coming up with an idea that, in principal, should work, but it's another that works in reality too.

If most of the drivers complain about visibility, they'll have to adapt it or change the idea completely.

It's a lot bulkier than I was expecting but it's not that bad. However, it does look very much like an add-on. Eventually, I would expect the whole cockpit area to be redesigned to accommodate devices like these because right now, you've got something new being stuck over a design dating back to 1996.

Zeknurn

If it could've prevented the outcome of Bianchi's accident, I'm all for it.

I believe the consensus is that nothing would have been able to absorb the impact in Bianchi's accident. This solution is primarily for deflecting tyres and large debris from other cars.

yami4ct

Not sure what this comment means. You'd rather have someone die or severely injured like Massa than implement an important safety feature on the car?

Would this have stopped Massa's injury? I was under the impression he got hit by a really small piece of debris/bolt. Something like the Halo seems specifically designed to combat large debris like flying tries and large pieces of the actual car.

Those dangers don't seem to happen often in F1, but better safe that sorry. I'm happy to give up a bit of atheistic for driver safety, and I don't think it looks that bad. The ramifications for driver vision are concerning, though, and it's a question I've had about the concept since that Mercedes mockup came out. I suppose that's why they're testing it this season so they can get all the bugs worked out.

Jezbollah

So basically F1 is reacting to an Indycar incident (with all the intricacies that may or may not apply between the series') on a different form of racing (oval) with different cars...

I actually think this Halo design puts the drivers in more danger - it places another structure in front of the drivers head that can be equally used to injure them than they might prevent injury.

Aiii

So not worth it
Would this have stopped Massa's injury? I was under the impression he got hit by a really small piece of debris/bolt. Something like the Halo seems specifically designed to combat large debris like flying tries and large pieces of the actual car.

Those dangers don't seem to happen often in F1, but better safe that sorry. I'm happy to give up a bit of atheistic for driver safety, and I don't think it looks that bad. The ramifications for driver vision are concerning, though, and it's a question I've had about the concept since that Mercedes mockup came out. I suppose that's why they're testing it this season so they can get all the bugs worked out.

Of course it's still entirely possible something might hit a driver in between the gaps, but looking at the picture on this page at least 50%~60% of the drivers helmet is now obstructed by the halo, making the space on where even a small piece of debris can hit a driver is that much smaller.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
That halo is probably helpful in situations where one car falls on top of another.

Like when Schumacher crashed in Abi Dhabi in 2012:

hqdefault.jpg

Or Alonso's near-miss in Spa:

_62629411_mmf1spascreengrabs.jpg

Assuming that the structure would survive such crashes.

Mastah

Not sure what this comment means. You'd rather have someone die or severely injured like Massa than implement an important safety feature on the car?

Yes, I'm watching motorsport on four and two wheels for almost 20 years to satisfy my blood lust and I'm against any device which would reduce my satisfaction from watching drivers die.

Or alternatively I want to see rules properly inforced, not band aids which do nothing to root of the problem. Track thuggery accepted by Whiting, contrary to what regulations say, was one of the main reasons for Bianchi's sad demise and is a cause of many accidents in single seaters around the world, because unfortunately disgraceful racing behaviour trickles down the ranks, when nothing is done about it at the top.

Freak accidents do unfortunately happen and if something can be improved without changing core formula I'm all for it (like adding additional visor strip after Massa's accident or securing nosecone after Wilson's death). But if you destroy what was one of the reasons to admire these guys, put ugly solution while accepting pissing on racing rules, then yes, I will loudly and clearly say "no".

Actually they're more reacting to an F2 incident, Surtees being struck by a wheel.

Formula, which didn't have wheel tethers in place (not to mention F2 doesn't exist anymore). I think they are now mandatory in at least major junior formulae.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ferrari already with problems, exhaust this time.

Mercedes doing the same stuff compared to last year - they put fast times at the beginning of the stint and then try to be as constant as they could be. Obvious pace masking.

Please tell me Claro didn't pay a dime for that placement.

That looks terrible and it opens a can of worms.

And I agree with Mastah.

Jezbollah

That halo is probably helpful in situations where one car falls on top of another.

Like when Schumacher crashed in Abi Dhabi in 2012:

hqdefault.jpg

Or Alonso's near-miss in Spa:

_62629411_mmf1spascreengrabs.jpg

Assuming that the structure would survive such crashes.

Is the Halo going to be detachable? I assume so given that the driver still has to get out of the car within the mandated (six??) seconds.. I personally wouldnt be confident if a removable device is supposed to protect against the forces a car generates if it is projected laterally onto it..

All these considerations are of course being considered by the FIA... It'll be interesting to see if this actually happens.

Personally, I think they're better off looking into improving the tethering mechanism.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
His line of sight is low enough that only the middle pillar is in the way.

It looks like a thong.

The middle is going to be a real strain on the eyes. Try to hold something in front of you. You can actually see through it but it remains there as a ghost image. And you get dizzy after a short time. It's a real distraction and I don't think this is how the final thing will look like.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
They should just use force fields. Works for the Enterprise.

Aiii

So not worth it
Meanwhile, Alonso is outpacing Toro Rosso and clocking the third best time overall,
on supersofts vs mediums for everyone else
, Wax Free was right!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
According to Ferrari, Kimi Raikkonen has said the visibility was "OK" when he ran the halo for an installation lap this morning. The design is an early prototype that it has produced itself and is pretty close to what it expects the final shape to be
From Autosport live coverage

Ferrari brought 'Halo' to the press center (probably to mask their other issues /PRESS)

Zeknurn

The middle is going to be a real strain on the eyes. Try to hold something in front of you. You can actually see through it but it remains there as a ghost image. And you get dizzy after a short time. It's a real distraction and I don't think this is how the final thing will look like.

There's already a high speed camera in the same place, so all this does is make the obstruction a bit higher.

Top Bottom