• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

Yeah... I flat out hate that halo. I didn't have any strong feelings on it, but seeing it attached to the car, yeesh.

I'm hoping Red Bull's solution is better.

Zeknurn

Raikkonen is at it again - and this time it's an especially quick lap, 1:23.009.

That's the SECOND fastest we have seen at either test.

Wow, we weren't quite expecting that - the Finn wasn't on the supersofts as you might expect, but the yellow-marked softs.

His 1:23.009 time was even faster than the lap Mercedes managed on softs with Rosberg on Day One. The Ferrari was 0.013s faster.

We don't know fuel loads of course, but that's certainly a lap to turn heads late into testing!

FERRARI AND KIMI ARE BACK. SEASON SAVED.

Jezbollah

OK, Kimi's set a time 0.1 off the fastest in all the Barcelona tests set by (I think Rosberg) on the same tyres.

Don't know about fuel loads - but this is a good sign.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yup. At least in the old days anyway.

Edit - Fastest lap of the tests by Kimi. 1m22.765s.

Kimi is on ultrasofts.

Rosberg was on softs (not even supersofts, regular softs) for the previous fastest lap.

Also, Kimi with his 2016 engine is only .885 a lap quicker than Verstappen's 2015 Ferrari on softs.

Risgroo

Kimi is on ultrasofts.

Rosberg was on softs (not even supersofts, regular softs) for the previous fastest lap.

Also, Kimi with his 2016 engine is only .885 a lap quicker than Verstappen's 2015 Ferrari on softs.

Kimi did a 1m23.009s on softs, so I'm sure there's more to come from the ultra-softs.

Aiii

So not worth it
Kimi did a 1m23.009s on softs, so I'm sure there's more to come from the ultra-softs.

Has there been an official statement on the expected gap between supers and ultras?

---

Kimi's left front tire after that run:
CcnpBEHW0AAiHR_.jpg:large

Aiii

So not worth it
Uhh... yeah?

Kimi did a faster lap on softs than Rosberg's. It's what we were talking about up the page.

I'm just saying that it's very unlikely this means Ferrari are that much quicker this year, given how Rosberg set that time on (way) slower tires.

Maybe I should have quoted dan27 or brotkasten.

Aiii

So not worth it
I read the quote in Zeknurn's post, read the reply by dan27, it didn't seem terrible to add some context.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I understand that F1 testing is boring and they are trying to keep it light but I wish the BBC live stream would stop all their meme bullshit, it's so annoying scrolling through all the updates trying to figure out what's actually happened.

Theorry

I think when we see the first 2017 car and a improved halo i think we will be fine.
Now we are all used to a 2016 car with no Halo so it looks weird.

Lach

Quick question about the testing that just popped into my head.

Are the teams allowed to only bring one car to the test? Or are they in theory allowed to switch it from day to day? I know Rosberg/Hamilton use the same car when they both test on the same day and switch out the seat, but I was wondering if the drivers that test on separate days already have their "own" car...

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Has there been an official statement on the expected gap between supers and ultras?

---

Kimi's left front tire after that run:
CcnpBEHW0AAiHR_.jpg:large

Pirelli said they expect the difference to be .5 seconds, even though Vettel squeezed out a .7 difference compared to the supersoft. I wonder if Mercedes will even run the ultrasoft. Last season there were some races where their car was eating up tires again more than other teams and the ultrasoft seems to disintegrate after three laps.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Are the teams allowed to only bring one car to the test? Or are they in theory allowed to switch it from day to day? I know Rosberg/Hamilton use the same car when they both test on the same day and switch out the seat, but I was wondering if the drivers that test on separate days already have their "own" car...

At this point in the season they simply don't have built another car. They have to pass the crash tests, so they only work with one car until that is done. Most teams passed the crash test days before the first actual test. Since they are changing the aero parts a lot until the first race it doesn't make sense to build a second car - when you can only use one per day in the tests.

Theorry

I believe they just use one chassis now. Alot of work to have two chassis ready for testing i believe.

---

08b76c01-8a88-41bc-88cf-c0e300ae1018_800.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Thx for the replies. I'd have thought with less than three weeks to go they'd have both chasis ready....

Well, you don't want to build an entire extra car if you're still potentially modifying parts and stuff, since you can only run one car on track due to the rules anyways.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That Halo is better than I thought, but it's quite wide in at the fork.

I also fully expect the teams to add fins to it like the front wings.

Top Bottom