• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

tomtom94

Ultrasoft tyres really don't seem worth it at this point, at least from an outsider's perspective

To play Pirelli advocate, they aren't really designed for Barcelona, they're designed more for street circuits like Monaco where otherwise there simply isn't the camber to degrade the tyres.

Zaru

To play Pirelli advocate, they aren't really designed for Barcelona, they're designed more for street circuits like Monaco where otherwise there simply isn't the camber to degrade the tyres.

I know that they'll only be available at street circuits in the first place and might not even get to a proper temperature in the current conditions, but still

Xun

Looks like these are part of the Channel 4 F1 team, the full line up to be confirmed next week:

Steve Jones
David Coulthard
Ben Edwards
Lee Mckenzie
Mark Webber
Susie Wolff
Karun Chandhok

James Allen has been replaced on 5Live by the ITV Formula E commentator and is expected to join as well.
Good stuff!

I think Channel 4 will do a good job.

Aiii

So not worth it
Best overall laptimes of the 2nd test:
1. Ferrari SF16-H - 1:22.765 (Raikkonen day 3)
2. Mercedes W07 - 1:23.022 (Rosberg day 1)
3. Toro Rosso STR11 - 1:23.134 (Sainz day 4)
4. Williams FW38 - 1:23.193 (Massa day 3)
5. Force India VJM09 - 1:23.251 (Hülkenberg day 3)
6. Renault RS16 - 1:23.933 (Magnussen day 2)
7. Red Bull Racing RB12 - 1:24.427 (Ricciardo day 4)
8. McLaren MP4-31 - 1:24.714 (Button day 4)
9. Sauber C35 - 1:24.760 (Nasr day 3)
10. Manor Racing MRT05 - 1:24.913 (Wehrlein day 3)
11. Haas F1 VF-16 - 1:25.255 (Grosjean day 4)

Laps per team:
1. Mercedes - 619 laps
2. Toro Rosso - 602 laps
3. Ferrari - 501 laps
4. Williams - 479 laps
5. Force India - 456 laps
6. McLaren - 453 laps
7. Red Bull Racing - 448 laps
8. Renault - 433 laps
9. Sauber - 406 laps
10. Manor Racing - 227 laps
11. Haas F1 Team - 193 laps

Laps per engine:
1. Mercedes 2016 - 1.781 laps
2. Ferrari 2016 - 1.100 laps
3. Renault 2016 - 881 laps
4. Ferrari 2015 - 602 laps
5. Honda 2016 - 453 laps

Well folks, looks like "Qualifying Knockout" has the full go ahead from the WMSC, FIA, FOM starting the first race of the season in Melbourne.

From Autosport :
The three qualifying periods will remain, with Q1 to run for 16 minutes, with the slowest car eliminated after seven minutes, and then every 90 seconds thereafter until 15 remain to head into Q2.

The second period is to run for 15 minutes, and will follow the same process as Q1, with the first driver to be eliminated after six minutes until eight remain.

For the 14-minute Q3, the first driver will be knocked out after five minutes, with the session continuing until only the man on pole is left standing.

At least it won't be a weird half new, half old system...
We'll see how it goes but I'm not a fan by the sounds of it.
It's like the Royal Rumble meets F1. I hope that Vince McMahon shows up to do post race questions.

Chris R

Qualifying could use some changes to make it more exciting over the course of the entire thing but I'm not sure if the proposed changes are the best way to do that.

Aiii

So not worth it
The changes are more about changing up the grid on Sunday than about making qualifying more interesting.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
It does encourage drivers to post a good time early on instead of just pushing out one quick lap at the end of the session.

Rainy qualifying might really jumble things around though!

mclem

Looks like these are part of the Channel 4 F1 team, the full line up to be confirmed next week:

Steve Jones
David Coulthard
Ben Edwards
Lee Mckenzie
Mark Webber
Susie Wolff
Karun Chandhok

James Allen has been replaced on 5Live by the ITV Formula E commentator and is expected to join as well.

I'm curious to see how Steve Jones does, the few things I've seen him on he's come across as a very capable presenter - if, perhaps, a wee bit on the smug side. It's been a while since I last saw him host something live, though, and that thing (Let's Dance for Comic Relief) did require a bit of a knowing nod and wink to the audience, so the style might well be a bit different.

One thing I didn't watch him in was Hair, a talent show for amateur hairdressers on BBC3 - bear with me - but I follow gameshows a lot and I find this account encouraging from a recent retrospective on BBC3's works in that field

Hair (2014) turned out to be a show made with love, gently encouraging its contestants to make the best of themselves, and to produce jaw-dropping creations. Steve Jones (2) gave a superb performance as host, he pretended to know nothing so he could ask just the right questions.

Might possibly be a bit oversimple for the aficionado audience, but given it's a new channel for the sport I can understand wanting a bit of a push towards accessibility.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Rosberg said for Motorsport that Merc and Ferrari are close and it is possible that red team is ahead. Putting some smokescreen on actual car performance?
Meanwhile Williams guys and gals are certain that they are very close to the Ferrari and they do not even mention the Mercedes team.

And AMuS guys found out that Mercedes ordered 60 sets of medium and only 4 sets of soft compound.Well, I hope they know what are they doing :p

Aiii

So not worth it
Rosberg said for Motorsport that Merc and Ferrari are close and it is possible that red team is ahead. Putting some smokescreen on actual car performance?

And AMuS guys found out that Mercedes ordered 60 sets of medium and only 4 sets of soft compound.Well, I hope they know what are they doing :p

Rosberg is full of shit and even he knows he's not fooling anyone.

It's okay, the midfield seems to be so close it's going to be a fun season if we just pretend that whoever comes in third is what matters.

There's no-one who knows anything about the sport that believes Ferrari is ahead. Maybe within a third of a second... maybe, but not the same, and definitely not ahead.

RoKKeR

I have that weird fear that Haas is going to end u on P17 or something at Melbourne.

Hopefully not!
It's possible. They are a new team, growing pains are to be expected. The second week seemed a bit tougher for them, but overall it seemed like a positive testing session for sick a new team.

I would love to see that Vettel is pretty close to the Mercedes and Rosberg still have the edge over Hamilton like the end of last season.

The drama would be delicious.

Massa

You don't take points from Kimi.

_86062954_kimiraikkonencollideswithvaltteribottasinrussia.jpg

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ferrari / Merc race sim analysis: http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...mercedes-ferraris-race-simulations-in-testing

All well and good, but of course we have no idea what engine modes they were using.

And race sims were made on different days and on different time of day. Plus there is a wind factor, because it was quite windy on two afternoons and drivers could experience a bit of traffic.

But Ferrari will bring a new aero upgrade parts to Melbourne and Mercedes will not <-- at least some diehard ferrari fans are spreading this nonsense on several forums

Mastah

"F1 right now? The cars are too slow, they've taken all the joy out of driving, in any case, I still have a few years left at the top level, two more at least and then I'll see what my body says. I'm curious to see what the cars will be like in 2017, I'll get into one and then think about the future. I don't know what I'm going to do after 30 years at the wheel, but when I stop, it's over, all of it. No turning back. Before that, I'd like to do Le Mans and go back to karting, which I've always loved".

http://en.as.com/en/2016/03/04/other_sports/1457114363_007326.html

"I'd like my son to remember me as a fighter, I'm not the most talented, or the best on wets, or on dries, or in Monaco, but in equal cars and equal conditions, I'd beat them all".

alonso-wink.gif

sam777

I still respect the fuck out of that man. I also believe that he will give everybody a run for their money in a one on one. Him not winning a title with Ferrari because Grosjean had to torpedo him at Spa will never stop hurting. He deserved a title with Ferrari.

This always pisses me off when I think back on it.

I still respect the fuck out of that man. I also believe that he will give everybody a run for their money in a one on one. Him not winning a title with Ferrari because Grosjean had to torpedo him at Spa will never stop hurting. He deserved a title with Ferrari.

Lost a title, gained a life.

That's not how it works though.

It wasn't like he was remarkable unlucky over the entire season in 2012.

Zaru

I never cared much about Alonso but when I looked at the numbers, I realized he was only 7 points away from equalizing Fangio's number of titles. So close yet so far.

Dilly

Banned

I will never root for Grosjean because of it, so much trauma.

Aiii

So not worth it
I have argued before that Alonso is somewhat overrated. It still seems to me he is a good driver, but not a great one. He has the skill on track, but to me appears to lack the skill to lead a team to work just that extra bit harder for him. The kind of things guys like Hamilton or Vettel are able to inspire, those teams go the extra mile to give those guys the exact car they need to succeed, while Alonso is left to complain about how shit his cars and engines are.

That's an interesting aspect of being a "complete" driver that I'd never really considered before. I got the technical aspect, but never the leadership one.

tomtom94

It occurred to me over the summer that Alonso would almost definitely be a triple world champion if he hadn't been petulant and blocked Hamilton in qualifying in Hungary 2007.

I think the major issue with judging his legacy is it's difficult to know just how much he outdrove the 2012 Ferrari and how much of the struggles of those years were down t him.

Unconfirmed Member
Looking back I would say the strategy error during the Abu Dhabi GP in 2010 was much more annoying than the Spa incident.

Alonso is the prime reason why F1 was so enjoyable to watch in 2010 and 2012 despite having a dominant manufacturer. His 2007 McLaren season was also hugely entertaining. When he has a car capable of winning races the season that unfolds is usually unforgettable.

It's a shame he most likely won't win a third WDC because he is definitely in that category of drivers who have done so.

f0rk

That's an interesting aspect of being a "complete" driver that I'd never really considered before. I got the technical aspect, but never the leadership one.
Schumacher clearly had it as well.
I think being in the right team is part of it as well, no one thought Hamilton leaving for Mercedes would play out for him as well as it has.

He just seems to have made the wrong moves.

Hamilton going to Mercedes from what appeared to be a strong McLaren team seemed crazy at the time but he saw something coming.

Vettel is great but definitely owes his success to being in the right place at the right time. But it also his technical skills and drive to know how to get them to make the car perfect for him.

Alonso jumped to a weak Ferrari team then now to a weak McLaren, fantastic driver but wrong place at the wrong time, for the second half of his career.

andshrew

It's a struggle to forgive Alonso for what he and Ferrari did to Massa in Germany 2010. He can talk all he likes about how he would beat them all on equal terms, but the reality is that whenever he's been on equal terms with a competitive team mate in a race winning car he always creates some controversy.

I say give him Rosberg's Merc seat next year and lets see how he does against Hamilton now. Although the thought of the McLaren becoming a decent car only for him to be beaten by Button or Vandoorne would be pretty entertaining too.

Top Bottom