• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 Off-Season |OT| Haas to get better, right?

They've actually just lost the rights to the Australian Open Semis and Final to Eurosport, so I think all they have left is Queen's, Wimbledon, Davis Cup and a couple of Tour Finals matches. Nobody would fight them for Queen's as long as it remains a 500-class tournament, but I wouldn't be surprised if Wimbledon is shared with Sky within 5-10 years, with much of the earlier rounds coverage on the outside courts going Sky-exclusive.

Zeknurn

Vergne turning into Piquet after failing to make the turn was shitty. That's a sure penatly.

Buemi is on another level. Alain needs to figure out why his son is so much slower.

Piquet
TadkV.gif

DD

I hope di Grassi wins this year. He should be the champion on season 1 if they din't had given him that stupid penalty.

semttulo30ose.jpg

tomtom94

Hamilton won last year, though. It's not really surprising there's less excitement this year, especially considering he wrapped it up ages ago, has been a bit of a diva recently, and it's a strong field of achievements (especially Murray, who I called winning it as soon as it was announced)

Jezbollah

everyone above lewis did a better job in sport for their country than lewis so fair scores

Or: More people who watch BBC who don't pay for Pay TV saw them achieve something than saw them on Sky.

Danny Kent won the UK's first Grand Prix motorcycling championship for 38 years this year, which is something I would say is as good as what Andy Murray achieved, but he was not a finalist.

SPOTY is a glorified, skewed popularity contest. The only reason it means anything is the history of the award when it actually was worth a shit.

Lego Boss

I assume that's votes for sports personality of the year. Pretty disturbing to see how much support Tyson Fury had too.

I think a lot of people are voting for Fury becasue he is a genuine character in a sport (or at least a division) which has been devoid of them for a LONG time.

I don't agree with what he says, but let's be honest, he has people (along with Joshua) interested in heavyweight boxing again and that is an achievement in itself.

Also, it's not like he is just talking for the sake of it. Yes he talks bullshit, but he delivers in the ring, he's not telling people that he's going to eat his children and then getting destroyed (Tyson v Lewis) or making excuses for his defeats (Haye v Klitshcko).

At least Fury backs up the trash-talk with performance. In all honesty, F1 could do with taking a lesson on having some characters in its ranks. We talk about Raikkonen like he's got 'character'. He doesn't fucking do anything! Hamilton has gone onto some parody-crossover music tip, Rosberg is just bitter.

It's saying something when Alonso and Button are the Morecambe and Wise of the paddock: 'yeah let's laugh at the losers who were once the best in the world'.

It's a damning indictment as to how far the 'sport' has fallen. F1 could do with some Fury's in its line-up. It's dull as ditchwater at the moment.

tomtom94

Sad. I was a big fan of the BBC coverage, and if there was one good thing about the move to Sky it was them bringing Ben Edwards to my attention.

My main curiosity is how C4 are going to get a presenting team on three months' notice.

Maybe Channel 4 can stage a F1 vs Grand National event. Get some ramps set up for the cars to jump the fences and shoot a few cars during the race.

Thank god it hasn't gone to ITV. I remember the Jenson Button wankfest from those days. Made me hate the guy. Even did a piece on his no name missus at the time, and her musical career attempt.

kvk1

Just give me an online package Bernie. Full live coverage of the entire weekend on the main website. I will pay an arm and a leg. Just, give it to me man. Fuck.

Ruruja

Fair play to C4 running it without adverts. Hope they do a great job.

They were after F1 when BBC sold it to Sky and planned to do ad-free races then too.

jdw_b

Fair play to C4 running it without adverts. Hope they do a great job.

They were after F1 when BBC sold it to Sky and planned to do ad-free races then too.

Yeah quite happy with Channel 4 having a go. At least someone has picked up some live races anyway, I'm too cheap to get a Sky Sports sub

Unconfirmed Member
Why is it Sky's fault when the BBC can't adhere to a contract they signed?
Not to mention that this is the second consecutive contract they have had to end early. In the first instance they went to Sky to block Channel Four bidding for the rights.

Fucking BBC scum! Channel 4 would be the exclusive broadcaster and had all of the races live if it wasn't for them fucking about years ago.

Just keep that knob Rick Edwards well away from F1.

Channel 4 has taken a minority stake in the sports production company part-owned by BT presenter Jake Humphrey and former Formula 1 driver David Coulthard.

Whisper Films, set up in 2010 with former BBC Sport producer Sunil Patel, has made programmes for brands related to Formula 1 including Red Bull and Shell, as well as for the BBC and ITV.

Zeknurn

Is it more likely that Channel 4 will continue with at-location presentation like BBC or move to a studio setup? If it's the latter they should poach Jake Humphrey from BT.

s_mirage

Fucking Sky.

Cunts.

This isn't Sky, this is 100% BBC. It was the BBC wanting out of their contract, while screwing over any other FTA broadcaster, that let Sky in in the first place.

Why don't they dump the Match of the Day highlights programme instead? It costs £204 million for a three season deal, excluding paying all of the pundits. But of course, who cares about live sport when football fans must be appeased?

f0rk

Is it more likely that Channel 4 will continue with at-location presentation like BBC or move to a studio setup? If it's the latter they should poach Jake Humphrey from BT.

There is no way Jake Humphrey would leave being front man for BT Premiership football for F1.

Why don't they dump the Match of the Day highlights programme instead? It costs £204 million for a three season deal, excluding paying all of the pundits. But of course, who cares about live sport when football fans must be appeased?
They would drop MOTD if it didn't get so many viewers.

This isn't Sky, this is 100% BBC. It was the BBC wanting out of their contract, while screwing over any other FTA broadcaster, that let Sky in in the first place.

To be fair the viewing figures for MotD will be much higher.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, I am missing something.

If I understand you guys correctly, aside from the change of channel nothing really changes? You still get your 10 races on non-subscription based TV?

So... What's the problem exactly over what you had last season?

s_mirage

To be fair the viewing figures for MotD will be much higher.

They may be, but I question whether a publicly funded broadcaster should be prioritising highlights coverage of one sport over live coverage of a number. Especially on the basis of individual ratings.

The BBC have given up live coverage of virtually everything they had, not just F1.

Haven't been keeping up with the finer points of the regulation changes for next season. Are we expecting the cars to look fairly similar to this past season? Are all the big changes coming in 2017/18 season?

Jezbollah

Known (high quality) quantity vs unknown. The BBC F1 coverage is deservedly well loved in the UK.

It's well loved, but not by so many it seems.

To answer the MOTD quesion, MOTD plays into the core BBC Sports demographic of people who cant/wont get Pay TV - given that it's been a tradition since 1964, that the rights for 3 years is the same for F1 rights for one year, and that it attracts almost the same amount of viewers for a highlights program after 10pm than the F1 gets live, then it's a no brainer.

s_mirage

To answer the MOTD quesion, MOTD plays into the core BBC Sports demographic of people who cant/wont get Pay TV - given that it's been a tradition since 1964, that the rights for 3 years is the same for F1 rights for one year, and that it attracts almost the same amount of viewers for a highlights program after 10pm than the F1 gets live, then it's a no brainer.

Where are you getting that piece of info from? Everything I can find online suggests that, over equal lengths of time, the combined amount that Sky and the BBC were paying for the rights wouldn't have even matched the old MoTD deal, let alone their new one (which increased ~£25 million despite bidding against no-one).

Top Bottom