• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

John Legend & Kelly Clarkson shade Britney.

Well, Kelly says she is a "performer." Which is true.

tumblr_llbqylAAtN1qddfro.gif

The most relevant thing to happen for John Legend all year.

pStsR.gif

No, you didn't say it, you IMPLIED it. It's why you used the RIHANNA .gif, and it's why you brought up the fact that she DIDN'T make it last year. You IMPLIED she wouldn't make it again, and you CLOCKED yourself when she came in ABOVE the ATTENTION WHORE. ADMIT you were WRONG, and I'll never post the pic that will haunt you forever again. OR, you can remain PRESSED, CLOCKED, and BOTHERED.

Mumei, LOOK at what YOU have DONE.

tumblr_m2unk3Dnrf1r3gb3zo1_400.gif

Bladenic

Why does Kelly look like she has no boobs in that video..?

And lol at everyone trying to make Rihanna being one spot above Gaga into some kind of huge triumph. I like(d) them both, but let's be serious, Rihanna only wishes she could attain the same level of success as Gaga. And besides, she beat Gaga by one million in a year where Gaga released one album and no tour, versus Rihanna's tour plus both her albums were released in almost the same year. So yeah Rihanna stans, let's chalk this up to be some huge victory when it clearly is not.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Why does Kelly look like she has no boobs in that video..?

And lol at everyone trying to make Rihanna being one spot above Gaga into some kind of huge triumph. I like(d) them both, but let's be serious, Rihanna only wishes she could attain the same level of success as Gaga. And besides, she beat Gaga by one million in a year where Gaga released one album and no tour, versus Rihanna's tour plus both her albums were released in almost the same year. So yeah Rihanna stans, let's chalk this up to be some huge victory when it clearly is not.

LIES

Rih only released one album last year, not two. Let's NOT start making SHIT up. And it doesn't matter what she did or didn't do this year. She is ABOVE the ATTENTION WHORE, and that's THE POINT.

Bladenic

LIES

Rih only released one album last year, not two. Let's NOT start making SHIT up. And it doesn't matter what she did or didn't do this year. She is ABOVE the ATTENTION WHORE, and that's THE POINT.

I said almost. Loud was released at the end of the year so I'm sure a hefty amount of sales came in 2011, while Talk that Talk was released near the end of the year but most of it's sales came in 2011 since it didn't sell that much (lol). Not to mention the bevy of singles and whatnot. Like I said, this isn't the huge triumph you all are trying to make it, but I suppose that's the point of being a stan.

Carry on.

DMeisterJ

Banned
When I see a post like this, I think the person who wrote it has Tourette's or something.

Not really.

So which one of you is Alyssa?

zybBj.gif

She is so AMAZING. The STUPID grandmother didn't UNDERSTAND what she was going THROUGH.

I said almost. Loud was released at the end of the year so I'm sure a hefty amount of sales came in 2011, while Talk that Talk was released near the end of the year but most of it's sales came in 2011 since it didn't sell that much (lol). Not to mention the bevy of singles and whatnot. Like I said, this isn't the huge triumph you all are trying to make it, but I suppose that's the point of being a stan.

Carry on.

WRONG. LOUD came out at the BEGINNING of NOVEMBER. It's sales were PRIMARILY in 2010, with some in 2011, OBVIOUSLY. And it DOESN'T matter. However she got ABOVE the ATTENTION WHORE, she DID.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

Carry on.

It is true, this is the only receipt they have had in a LONG time that shows any GLIMMER of SUCCESS in the Goat's joke of a career

They will go back to being pressed once Gaga's tour outsells the Industry WHORE's career

iwWBptYt4UyWf.gif

Bladenic

She is so AMAZING. The STUPID grandmother didn't UNDERSTAND what she was going THROUGH.

WRONG. LOUD came out at the BEGINNING of NOVEMBER. It's sales were PRIMARILY in 2010, with some in 2011, OBVIOUSLY. And it DOESN'T matter. However she got ABOVE the ATTENTION WHORE, she DID.

You're right. That's all that matters.

iyBH8joEmsZ1k.gif

botty

Banned
It's so funny how pressed Gaga fans get when their mama monster shows signs of a decline. Here's to hoping she reverts back to her quality days.

tumblr_llbqylAAtN1qddfro.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
gaga and flawbyn fans going at it?

I'm here for this.

Godbyn remains unbothered.

http://i.imgur.com/0MEoJ.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

I don't see this SNAGGLETOOTHED loser on the Forbes list.

She WISHES she was the superior ROBYN. ROBYN (Rihanna) Hood may give her some success once she's tired of the limelight.

I don't see this SNAGGLETOOTHED loser on the Forbes list.

She WISHES she was the superior ROBYN. ROBYN (Rihanna) Hood may give her some success once she's tired of the limelight.

No, the limelight will tire of Flawbyn once it's done using her.

Meanwhile, Godbyn's two decade reign of flawlessness continues unabated.

ILTkp.gif

Majmun

Robyn is unshadable, unlike Bjork. I just can't. Don't know where to start.
Definitely a pop deity to me. I even shade my Queen Beyonce from time to time. But Robyn?

wlUhy.gif

royalan

If Robyn somehow under-delivers with her next album, this thread is gonna be a MESS.

The only way Robyn could disappoint me is if she releases an album that sounds like Body Talk pt. 4.

I love the sound she cultivated in the Body Talk series, but I'm ready for an evolution from her, tbfuckingh...

I love the sound she cultivated in the Body Talk series, but I'm ready for an evolution from her, tbfuckingh...

Given the evolution in sound from Robyn to the Body Talk era - the two albums she released on her own label and had total control over - I would bet on it.

ZOYQ8.gif

I can't even look at the "critical reception" section of Robyn and Body Talk's Wikipedia page, it's just too beautiful.

R90Qy.gif

Yeah check out her older stuff, as long as you're aware it's from a totally different era and when she had less control over her sound.

But Keep This Fire Burning? One of her best singles! Shame it wasn't released overseas. And the 2008 remake of it is kind of gross.

ibx3W0kfzftDrB.gif

Trigger

So why isn't Robyn popular?

Wikipedia said:
Commercial performance

In 2007, Robyn signed a North American distribution deal with Interscope Records. She was asked by Interscope to include a rapper on the album to highlight its hip hop elements. In an interview with Metro Sweden, Robyn said she understood why the label wants her to include a rapper, but did not want to "work with Akon or some other lame rapper. I want to work with someone who's gangsta, like Snoop [Dogg] or Method Man".On 29 April 2008, Robyn was finally released in North America and debuted at number 100 on the Billboard 200, selling 7,000 copies in its first week. It would only spend one week on the charts, and has sold 33,000 copies in the US as of June 2010."Dream On" later appeared on the North American release of Robyn without Ola Salo's vocals.

It's odd that she's received little attention in the state. She's a POP-GAF darling.

Majmun

rqE1V.jpg

IJzzf.jpg

No other fave* could

tD519.gif

*except for Jesuselle Monae

KhCIt.jpg

God I can't wait for the new Monae album this year.

2010 was such a phenomenal pop year with Body Talk and The Archandroid. No other year could.

yUUI6.gif

I like Janelle, too!

I eagerly await her next move.

So why isn't Robyn popular?

It's odd that she's received little attention in the state. She's a POP-GAF darling.

The answer is pretty simple: she refuses to whore herself out for the industry. She has a distribution deal with Interscope in the States, but the publishing is all Konichiwa. It virtually ensures that she's absent from most radio and television. Nearly all of her success in the U.S. is due to word-of-mouth hype and critical acclaim, and she's done remarkably well given those circumstances.

I should add that she is remarkably successful throughout Europe, being one of the most recognizable pop acts on the continent.

Majmun

And where the FUCK are Janelle's two promised albums for this year? :|

Monáe tweeted that she is planning on releasing an instrumental version of The ArchAndroid. In an interview, Monáe stated that she plans to release two albums in 2012. In another interview with Forbes, Monáe also said that she plans to release an ArchAndroid inspired film

Wikipedia recipe

An Archandroid inspired film? Never heard about that one before, but I'm here for that

SRynR.gif

YESSSSSS

T5iuW.gif

Trigger

Artistry takes time. We can't expect Janelle to flood the market like some other artists.

The answer is pretty simple: she refuses to whore herself out for the industry. She has a distribution deal with Interscope in the States, but the publishing is all Konichiwa. It virtually ensures that she's absent from most radio and television. Nearly all of her success in the U.S. is due to word-of-mouth hype and critical acclaim, and she's done remarkably well given those circumstances.

I should add that she is remarkably successful throughout Europe, being one of the most recognizable pop acts on the continent.

That's a shame, but it's good to know she's doing well in Europe.

I'm not even sure why Janelle is trying the two-album thing. Just give me one masterpiece and redeem 2012.

Of course, I wouldn't have any qualms with it if she manages to release two high-quality albums. She is probably the best person for the job.
iM6R3aoGNasqP.gif

Robyn has BLOSSOMED into AN ARTIST. Her early days were rather DIRE imo; late-90's SCANDIPOP is GRATING on the ears... unless it's Aqua.

When you look at similar artists that have been around for near or over a decade - Britney, Christina, Beyonce, etc, you can't HELP but look DOWN on their OUTPUT and complete LACK OF CREATIVE GROWTH in COMPARISON.

tumblr_leicnusRRY1qfy0g6o1_500.gif

Icicle

I have my issues with this thread from time to time* but the near universal love for Robyn is just inspiring.

I have listened to nearly a dozen of Robyn's "best" songs and not liked a single one of them. A few years ago when I found out that she sang one of my 90's jamz, "Show Me Love", I wasn't sure how to reconcile my conflicting opinions.

I eventually concluded that she must have expended all of her talent and beauty into making that song, because the 'current Robyn' is nothing more than a hobgoblin with an awful sound.

most of the time

Yeah, I'm that bitch.
SBKSm.gif

Edit: Lawl, I dislike Janelle too, but to a lesser extent. She gets so much praise and I don't understand it at all.

(I feel like such a troll right now. I am a fan of most pop acts to some degree, and my shit list is quite small! I usually dislike artist's for getting "undue praise," so they inevitably come up quite often)

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I have listened to nearly a dozen of Robyn's "best" songs and not liked a single one of them. A few years ago when I found out that she sang one of my 90's jamz, "Show Me Love", I wasn't sure how to reconcile my conflicting opinions.

I eventually concluded that she must have expended all of her talent and beauty into making that song, because the 'current Robyn' is nothing more than a hobgoblin with an awful sound.
iQ9LxsNk2L1hD.gif
iQ9LxsNk2L1hD.gif

iOoo4vgpBbw2T.gif

What an UNSURPRISINGLY HORRENDOUS post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom