• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Not as important as these bald Norwegians

LB_Jay-Z_stargate_143747k.jpg

:bow

Stargate gave me "What's my name".

Trigger

Nicki should decide if she's pop or hip-hop before worrying about anyone coming for her.

Also: I never knew who Stargate was before POP-GAF. This thread is educational.

royalan

Nicki should decide if she's pop or hip-hop before worrying about anyone coming for her.

Also: I never knew who Stargate was before POP-GAF. This thread is educational.

All shade aside that's really my probably with her. Nicki Minaj as a hip-hop artist is believable. Nicki Minaj the "Pop" act is a desperate, thirsty, crusty, do-anything, flop of a mess.

I get that her people want her to cross over, but all one has to do is study Lil Kim in her prime to see that it's possible for a female rapper to cross over on the strength of Hip-Hop.

Last time I ever checked for Nicki Minaj.

Peru

Eh, I don't believe in labels, she can do what she wants, the problem is her pop side has been really boring. Like Starships and half the new album, just bland Red One regurgitation. "Superbass" was good pop. But I do like her the best genuinely rapping, yeah, and being hysterically funny. Not sappy or bubblegum-y.

B-Dex

We all know that the talentless hack WHORA JONES sucked all dem dicks to get her grammy sweep then fell off the face of the earth.

New album? NO ONE CUR. They shill it at the till at starbucks.

tumblr_m12p1jY3hj1r3m3j0.gif

Trigger

Eh, I don't believe in labels, she can do what she wants, the problem is her pop side has been really boring. Like Starships and half the new album, just bland Red One regurgitation. "Superbass" was good pop. But I do like her the best genuinely rapping, yeah, and being hysterically funny. Not sappy or bubblegum-y.

And she should drop it. She sounds more unique and vibrant when rapping. Her pop genuinely feels really half-assed with all the bad vocals and half-baked beats.

royalan

I agree.

Along those lines, I think Azealia Banks' 212 is a all-around great example of a rapper crossing over into Dance Pop without compromise. Great fucking track.

And yeah, Iggy's stumbled a bit in her transition to TI's label, but I believe that she's got some bangers coming following a more proper relaunch. Her Ignorant Art mixtape stuff was pretty damn good, and the fact that she's a white girl from Australia (of all places) with model looks and spitting with a genuine flow makes her pretty fascinating.

Who are they? The white one resembles Godanuary Jones.
Azealia Banks
PrpCT.jpg

Iggy Azalea
dyezR.jpg

Two fierce, up-and-coming femcees. Each better than Nicki Minaj by a country mile.

I also love Robyn's Indestructible (superior version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phT-aezh-KA

SO GOOD

You chose wisely.

3LaEP.jpg

Robyn's acoustic versions of her songs always have this sad, sweet quality to them. Some of the ones available on the YouTube:

The best version of Be Mine.

AMAZING VERSION OF DANCING ON MY OWN.

Gorgeous live version of Oh Baby.​

Usmej.gif

Also, get over your Björk hate. This performance of Unison is incredible, and it's one of the rare times she chokes up during a song.

Also, I think Unravel represents her creative peak; it's one of the most beautiful things she's ever been involved with. Fittingly, there are several intense performances of it.

Actually, the entirety of Homogenic is great mood music. The journey through the album is sublime.​

LGjRt.jpg

Majmun

#Epicpost

Robyn's voice is so moving. She really kills it and knows how to deliver emotions through her singing. She does that really well. Ballad or dance...she will slay me.

Oh, and Bjork...

lrycD.gif

Dunno, maybe I should give her another chance. It took me quite a while before I acutally started to like Florence and the Machine.

I'd be sad and depressed if I posted like that too.

Don't hate

ZEzFi.gif

B-Dex

Robyn's voice is so moving. She really kills it and knows how to deliver emotions though her singing. She does that really well. Ballad or dance...she will slay me.

Oh, and Bjork...

lrycD.gif

Dunno, maybe I should give her another chance. It took me quite a while before I acutally started to like Florence and the Machine.

MOVING? YEAH FAR FAR AWAY.

I ain't here for that grating euro-trash.

Sai-kun

Banned
okay, here's my (depressing-ish) Godplay goods for yall

Violet Hill ("If you love me, why'd you let me go?")

Warning Sign ("I started looking for a warning sign, when the truth is, I miss you")

Shiver ("I'll be waiting in line, just to see if you care")

Princess of China ("Could've had a castle, worn a ring, but no, you let me go")

The Hardest Part ("And the hardest part, was letting go, not taking part")

U.F.O. ("Lord I don't know which way I am going, which way the river's gonna flow")

Mylo Xyloto/Hurts Like Heaven ("Oh you, use your heart as a weapon, and it hurts like heaven")

Maybe I'll do a positiveGodplay post later (in a bit!)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I also love Robyn's Indestructible (superior version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phT-aezh-KA

SO GOOD

9Z9uQ.gif

When Pt. 2 came out I was like there's no way that the synthed up version can be beat this but in reality I just wasn't ready for the slaying that Robyn brought with the synth version of Indestructible. I understand that now and I have learned to deal with that amount of slaying.

Thread for people with shitty taste is ->

Majmun

Vile, blasphemous talk.

You're in a POP thread, and Robyn is a POP Deity. Better show some respect.

@godelsmetric

The synthed version is still better than the majority of currently released pop singles, but the original version is unbeatable. Both versions are classics, though.

Robyn's cover of Hyperballad is amazing.

This is false.

The orchestra is amazing; her vocals and the crappy second-rate synths that kick in are not. As much as I love the girl, most of her covers are subpar.

As Pho noted, Björk looked none too pleased while Robyn was mangling it.

iYOSgBQ4lGBdB.gif

Kyon

Banned
This is false.

The orchestra is amazing; her vocals and the crappy second-rate synths that kick in are not. As much as I love the girl, most of her covers are subpar.

iYOSgBQ4lGBdB.gif

this is the only thing close to shade we will ever see from mob at his fave

Trigger

This is false.

iYOSgBQ4lGBdB.gif

I noticed that expression in the video. Bjork is vicious.

Robyn is also responsible for one of the genuinely best pop covers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zVECruSI3k

Truth!

Her covers of Prince (Jack U Off and When Doves Cry [which is constantly being pulled from YouTube and isn't worth seeking out]) are simply grotesque, though. Her cover of Godson's Since U Been Gone is laughably awful. Her version of Janice's When I Think of You is a terrible cover of a terrible song and she should feel terrible for doing it.

I actually kind of like her cover of Propecia Keys' Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart, though.

Girl needs to work on her covers.

COSqv.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Does she really need to? Her music's better than anything she covers tbh.

Maybe Prince notwithstanding. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom