• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
YASS ADELI! Slay 2013 with a new album!

Also, POP OT has passed 1000 posts. Celebration!

iVWiSWplFbzPz.gif

Sai-kun

Banned
top 5 by a good margin!

Also, Coldplay is FINALLY on Spotify, so if you have it but don't have their stuff, go check it out :)

DMeisterJ

Banned
I wish ADELE would come out with a new album this year so Gaga can remain seated, but I don't want ADELE to turn into Rihanna by diluting herself (no shade Rih, you're still my number 1).

Anyway, I'd like you congratulate POP-GAF on making it to 1k. Even all the pressed, deluded, seated, dragged, and bothered stans for helping make it thus far. It must be hard to stan for Ciara, Keri Hilson (had to say her own name due to irrelevance), Kelly (both of them), LDR, Xtina, and the others whom I can't be bothered to remember due to lack of hits, but I salute you.

Majmun

SALUTE BITCHES

2k post, here we come!

HxdNk.gif

SNNXK.gif

I'd also like Adele to wait with her next album. The current album could deliver another #1 hit or two. "Rumor has it" is her next single. Guarrantee hit. Turning Tables also has the potential to be huge.
So yes, Adele('s producers), wait. There's no haste.

Koodo

Banned
I've been jamming to Part Of Me, no shame. I support its #1ness, especially since it won't count towards Teenage Dream's tally.

Christopher

I can't get behind Nikki guys sorry she's awful. Britney, Christina, Adele and even Gaga I can stomach as far as pop goes but Nikki Minaj is just awful.

Mau ®

I've been jamming to Part Of Me, no shame. I support its #1ness, especially since it won't count towards Teenage Dream's tally.

Im surprised you like it, I feel is her most basic single yet lol.

Anyway, Usher's new single Climax. This year's Motivation yass!

Britney should never

5Bq5P.gif

I'd also like Adele to wait with her next album. The current album could deliver another #1 hit or two. "Rumor has it" is her next single. Guarrantee hit. Turning Tables also has the potential to be huge.
So yes, Adele('s producers), wait. There's no haste.

Yeah, I agree about the wait. Also glad to hear that she's trying to be more upbeat with the next album; the dance remixes of her stuff are great. I'm just not sure if she can pull that off live...

Mumei

Britney should never

5Bq5P.gif

Yeah, I agree about the wait. Also glad to hear that she's trying to be more upbeat with the next album; the dance remixes of her stuff are great. I'm just not sure if she can pull that off live...

Are there any examples of her doing uptempo stuff live? I can't think of anything offhand, but I'm not exactly an expert here.

Koodo

Banned
Im surprised you like it, I feel is her most basic single yet lol.
It's very basic but the context of Perra's divorce made me like it.

You go gerl!

I think she's strictly referring to the lyrical content rather than the production itself. 19 had happy songs but they were barely uptempo.

Kyon

Banned
I can't believe you hoes haven't listened to King of Hearts by Cassie. Just released this morning and the video slays
5Bq5P.gif

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Just a good natured poke at how excitement/gif frenzy often trumps looking back at the thread to see both of those things were posted earlier. :)

I used to stan for Cassie's Me and U back in the day. IIRC she appeared on the scene at the same time as Rihanna
I was team Cassie all the way.
Then after Cassie disappeared I was sure that Rihanna would too...but then Umbrella happened. Oop.

I looooove Starships. Bouncy, random, silly pop. I like that every once in a while.

"Part of Me" however I don't care much for. Such a formulaic Katy Perry song. It'll be hugely successful though.

Yeah, I know Adele was talking more about the mood than the style, but hopefully happy Adele means dance-y Adele.
I feel like there could be some backlash if Adele went the dancey-route. A huge reason for her success is because she was one of the few artists on top 40 to not be doing dance-pop.

I was hoping that Top 40 this year would be a little be more varied but a quick look at the charts makes me think it's just as bad as the last few years
S1tfK.gif
Even my girl Kelly had to put out her danciest song yet to be allowed to slay.
S1tfK.gif
S1tfK.gif

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
SecretMoblin will back me up on this: Adele needs to hook up with someone like Todd Terje, Aeroplane, Soulwax, Lindstrom, etc... I don't want a full-on dance pop transformation, but she could hang on to her audience and still bring the heat.

SecretMoblin will back me up on this: Adele needs to hook up with someone like Todd Terje, Aeroplane, Soulwax, Lindstrom, etc... I don't want a full-on dance pop transformation, but she could hang on to her audience and still bring the heat.

Mmmmm, now you're speaking my language. Terje or Lindstrøm would be the likeliest candidates; Lindstrøm in particular has a knack for working his sound into various styles. A properly-engineered nu-disco Adele would sound amazing and probably wreck the dance charts and the Billboard Hot 100. She can still do ballads, but another album full of them will get stale very quickly.

And there's all kinds of precedent for a hot dance producer turning a pop collab into something incredible. Stuart Price made a gross, aging Madonna sound kind of OK, so I'd love to hear what a skilled producer could do with Adele's voice.

Mau ®

It has been confirmed Chris Brown is NOT featured on Rih's Birthday Cake. Haters did try tho

I bet itll be J. Cole or Drake yasss!!!! Next #1 for Rihsus.

Koodo

Banned
Beyoncé has grown on me ("4" is actually quite good). I support her coming back and punching Rihanus all the way back to Barbados.

gj6gl.gif

Majmun

Adele spends another week at #1 in the Billboard charts.

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/adele-s-21-hits-20th-week-at-no-1-van-halen-1006195752.story

20th week at #1 with 237,000 sales...

And three of her songs are in the top 10.

Adele's "Set Fire to the Rain" is forced backwards -- falling 2-4 -- though it increases in sales: 187,000 (up 14%). Clearly thanks to her Grammy buzz, she has two more songs in the top 10: "Someone Like You" rallies 23-9 with 128,000 (up 91%) and "Rolling in the Deep" (which she performed) zooms 39-10 (126,000; up 174%).

O_______________________O

She's really unstopadele

From that same Billboard article:

fun.'s ascent to the top pushes Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" down a slot to No. 2, despite a sales gain. It sold 260,000 and was up by 10%.

2HyUk.jpg

Explain yourself, Crumpet! This has to be your fault somehow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom