• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
No, there was a Superbowl commercial I belieb.

Lol @ this random ass band outdoing Madonna

tumblr_lpn1u9njSu1qlrmdso1_400.gif
RIP

Our Grandmother vogued for our sins.

Kyon

Banned
Is that why "We Are Young" is charting so high?

Gross.

Get your reductive ass back in here, the Madge thread is flopping even harder than this one.
I believe that's 100000% right. Glee cast did it better than the original. The song is boring though :/ Glee does wonders on itunes though so..

Kyon

Banned
I can't stand Jessie J, everyone also hates her lol Domino is decent though..... But I sometimes put in Last Friday Night lyrics o_O anyone think Domino and LFN sound similar?

Cynosure

We are a lot alike lol stan wise i mean your taste is flawless btw sis

tumblr_lwkpiiSRvn1qfnpyt.gif

ibriJTlGtek6oZ.gif

I must say the OP's header and xtina mention makes me pressed. This thread is suppose to be gaf pop OT, not Koodo's pop OT.
If I am to grace my presence here, I demand that gets rectified.

until then...

5y0cQ.gif

Cyno's really good at this.

But I still loathe Xtincta and think there needs to be more of my Scandinavian Sistas in here. Something something pressed stan something faves something #dead.

Oh, and here's a GIF:

nbmpd.gif

Sai-kun

Banned
But I still loathe [artist] and think there needs to be more of my [better artist] in here. Something something pressed stan something faves something #dead.

Oh, and here's a GIF:

This is like the perfect template for posting here. Should be added to the OP imo.

Kyon

Banned
agreed. Maybe people will understand standom more that way lol Koodo should put the definition of stan in the OP

Kyon

Banned
LOL @ dat bitch re releasing left overs from Teenage Dream tho
5gBJ0.gif
5gBJ0.gif

Guess she has to eat the Dr Luke scraps cause she aint ever gonna get another hit
Zw3dO.gif

Koodo

Banned
Robyn's pijama pants are so gross.

I will add a STANIPEDIA section at some point (lifted entirely from the Bible, of course). I'm also thinking of shoving a Billboard 100 & 200 section; we can watch together as ADELE racks up 3498534 more weeks at #1 and your faves cry out in terror.

I'm also thinking of adding a GREAT LIVE PERFORMANCES section (I could start this one asap); this will be based entirely on submissions posted here, so y'all will need to post links PLUS brief info (ARTIST - SONG - VENUE). Limit one performance per artist.

Kyon

Banned
All the boys of One Direction are cute. But at the end of the day Chris Brown will always be my one and only.

Mumei

I just read a pretty great article about Michael Jackson:

The Misunderstood Power of Michael Jackson's Music said:
More than two and a half years after his untimely death, Michael Jackson continues to entertain. Cirque du Soleil's crowd-pleasing Michael Jackson Immortal World Tour is currently crisscrossing North America, while a recent Jackson-themed episode of Glee earned the show a 16 percent jump in ratings and its highest music sales of the season. Even Madonna's halftime Super Bowl spectacle harkened back to a trend first initiated by Jackson.
But there is another crucial part of Jackson's legacy that deserves attention: his pioneering role as an African-American artist working in an industry still plagued by segregation, stereotypical representations, or little representation at all.

Jackson never made any qualms about his aspirations. He wanted to be the best. When his highly successful Off the Wall album (in 1981, the best-selling album ever by a black artist) was slighted at the Grammy Awards, it only fueled Jackson's resolve to create something better. His next album, Thriller, became the best-selling album by any artist of any race in the history of the music industry. It also won a record-setting seven Grammy awards, broke down color barriers on radio and TV, and redefined the possibilities of popular music on a global scale.

Yet among critics (predominantly white), skepticism and suspicion only grew. "He will not swiftly be forgiven for having turned so many tables," predicted James Baldwin in 1985, "for he damn sure grabbed the brass ring, and the man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo has nothing on Michael."

Baldwin proved prophetic. In addition to a flood of ridicule regarding his intelligence, race, sexuality, appearance, and behavior, even his success and ambition were used by critics as evidence that he lacked artistic seriousness. Reviews frequently described his work as "calculating," "slick," and "shallow." Establishment rock critics such as Dave Marsh and Greil Marcus notoriously dismissed Jackson as the first major popular music phenomenon whose impact was more commercial than cultural. Elvis Presley, the Beatles, and Bruce Springsteen, they claimed, challenged and re-shaped society. Jackson simply sold records and entertained.

It shouldn't be much of a strain to hear the racial undertones in such an assertion. Historically, this dismissal of black artists (and black styles) as somehow lacking substance, depth and import is as old as America. It was the lie that constituted minstrelsy. It was a common criticism of spirituals (in relation to traditional hymns), of jazz in the '20s and '30s, of R&B in the '50s and '60s, of funk and disco in the '70s, and of hip-hop in the '80s and '90s (and still today). The cultural gatekeepers not only failed to initially recognize the legitimacy of these new musical styles and forms, they also tended to overlook or reduce the achievements of the African-American men and women who pioneered them. The King of Jazz, for white critics, wasn't Louis Armstrong, it was Paul Whiteman; the King of Swing wasn't Duke Ellington, it was Benny Goodman; the King of Rock wasn't Chuck Berry or Little Richard, it was Elvis Presley.

Given this history of white coronation, it is worth considering why the media took such issue with referring to Michael Jackson as the King of Pop. Certainly his achievements merited such a title. Yet up until his death in 2009, many journalists insisted on referring to him as the "self-proclaimed King of Pop." Indeed, in 2003, Rolling Stone went so far as to ridiculously re-assign the title to Justin Timberlake. (To keep with the historical pattern, just last year the magazine devised a formula that coronated Eminem—over Run DMC, Public Enemy, Tupac, Jay-Z, or Kanye West—as the King of Hip Hop).

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...stood-power-of-michael-jacksons-music/252751/

Koodo

Banned
Speaking of MJ...

Billboard said:
Should any song released from "Confection" reach No. 1, it would count as a Hot 100 No. 1 from "Confection" and not "Dream".

HIS record remains safe.

Ties

Banned
All the boys of One Direction are cute. But at the end of the day Chris Brown will always be my one and only.
You best get on yo feet because Rihrih about to claim back her piece of that chocolate.

Thanks Mumei, I'll give the full article a read during class tomorrow. Judging from the first paragraphs, it seems fairly interesting.

Kyon

Banned
You best get on yo feet because Rihrih about to claim back her piece of that chocolate.

Thanks Mumei, I'll give the full article a read during class tomorrow. Judging from the first paragraphs, it seems fairly interesting.
No he's not LOL people are so uninformed.

Anyone else jam to this ~13 years ago?

It was a weird combination of terrible songwriting, brilliant production, aggressively mediocre vocals, and some great pop melodies. Plus, it gave us some fantastic music videos. Kelis' voice has never been good, though she cleaned up her performances after Kaleidoscope. You can actually hear the audience mocking her during this performance of "Caught Out There". If her label would have played its cards right, she could have ended up like Rihanna: a terrible singer with some great pop hits. It's a damn shame all of her future musical endeavors were so godawful.

And here's a GIF, I guess:

GLzsj.gif

Mumei

Robyn's pijama pants are so gross.

I will add a STANIPEDIA section at some point (lifted entirely from the Bible, of course). I'm also thinking of shoving a Billboard 100 & 200 section; we can watch together as ADELE racks up 3498534 more weeks at #1 and your faves cry out in terror.

ss4Ux.gif

I'm also thinking of adding a GREAT LIVE PERFORMANCES section (I could start this one asap); this will be based entirely on submissions posted here, so y'all will need to post links PLUS brief info (ARTIST - SONG - VENUE). Limit one performance per artist.

Hm. I am not familiar with (or *cough* have no respect for *cough*) a lot of the live oeuvre for many recent singers, but I'll list a few favorites for the ones I do know. And yeah, I know you said one, but I'm making you narrow it down. Don't worry, you'll
hopefully
like them!

Kelly Clarkson
Stuff Like That There (Some Tour Thingy)
Up To the Mountain (St Kilda)
Because of You (Sony Connect Sets)
Jesus What a Wonderful Child w/ Fantasia

Adele
Someone Like You (BMA)
Rolling in the Deep (no idea)
Rolling in the Deep (Live on Soundcheck)
Set Fire to the Rain (Royal Albert Hall)

Beyonce
Resentment (Wynn Las Vegas)
Halo (Acoustic)
Listen (Oprah)
Sweet Dreams / Dangerously in Love / Sweet Love Medley (Wynn Las Vegas)

Special bonus mention to this performance of Emotions for making Celine stop and listen. Not the best overall performance (she's improved immensely as her career has gone on, I think), but I like that moment.

Lady Gaga
Speechless (Acoustic, Blackpool)
Paparazzi (VMA 2009)
Bad Romance + Speechless (AMA 2009)

Great article.

Stranger In Moscow >>> many discographies.

I love everything about that song *except* that like... weird scratchy thing going on in the beginning of the song. I don't know why that was done or what it is supposed to be, but it gives me a headache, so I usually skip ahead to avoid it.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Cassie fiiinally released the "King of Hearts" single today. Not sure how I feel about it right now: it's a pretty different beast from the teasers and preview leaks, but my biggest issue is that it's a song without a climax. After the first minute, you've pretty much heard the whole song. It never builds to anything significant... At least it's prime fodder for remixing.

Sai-kun

Banned
Good news, everyone! Coldplay's latest single has been announced, and it's my second favorite track off of MX! It's Princess of China, featuring Rihanna :) And they're performing it at the Grammys on Sunday! I can't wait to hear itttt! I'm so hyped.

Saw Kelly Clarkson in concert last night.

tumblr_lz5phvsNo91qm2ywq.gif

tumblr_lz5pk0SZ7A1qm2ywq.gif

tumblr_lz5pkexzmw1qm2ywq.gif

tumblr_lz5pm87i701qm2ywq.gif

tumblr_luvv20f5B51qayjuf.gif

Flawless. Only complaint is she removed some songs to preserve her voice for the Grammy awards. And she sang a song from From Justin to Kelly as her fan request song. WHO WAS REQUESTING THAT?

Other than that, best concert yet. ♥

Mumei

Thanks for posting that krypt and thanks for updating the OP with it, Koodo~

I'm think more people would see it here than would have seen it in the other topic, anyway.

Edit: I forgot to include this collection of live performances, most of which were not included in the aforementioned list. And since it's supposed to be a proper tribute and not just a collection of some of my favorite performances:

Live in South Africa 1994
Live in Brunei 1996
Welcome Home Heroes 1991
Nelson Mandela 70th Birthday Tribute / Freedom Fest 1988

Here are a couple complete concerts that were uploaded on Youtube as well.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Thanks for those concert links, Mumei. Welcome Home Heroes is a good encapsulation of the Whitney material I tend to favor. Looove "I'm Your Baby Tonight."

Mumei

Thanks for those concert links, Mumei. Welcome Home Heroes is a good encapsulation of the Whitney material I tend to favor. Looove "I'm Your Baby Tonight."

It's my favorite concert of hers. She was amazing on all of the songs.

Edit: Bah! One of the links is gone already. The Tonight Show 1985 link. Jerks.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I'm loving Starships, it was about time new dance music was released

Starships were meant to fly, hands up and touch the sky
isqjKyFcYKAkW.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Adele:

"I am f***ing off for four or five years. If I am constantly working, my relationships fail. So at least now I can have enough time to write a happy record. And be in love and be happy. And then I don't know what I'll do. Get married. Have some kids. Plant a nice vegetable patch"
Yas!!

The good things: I am attentive. I will do anything for my man. I am a good cook. I'm funny. Always want to have sex - Well, most girls don't!'

wGSA2.gif

but then she posted this on her blog

I’ve a few days off now, and then it’s the Brit Awards here at home and then I’m straight into the studio. BOYYAHH! 5 years? More like 5 days!

zWz7n.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom