• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

VAMPIRE DIARIES FANS, I KNOW SOME OF Y'ALL ARE IN HERE

Can we talk about how your girl is a FLOP?

What is this Ellen performance Kermit the Frog vocal MESS. PURE MESS. THAT POOR STAGE.

Kat Graham, you've been trying for years, but I think now's the time to HANG IT UP.

flopney0ouw.gif

Majmun

hang on to your wig when phono gets unbanned sis

Ho'nomezer knows where to find me. I'll stand tall.

3UTWx.gif

Remain PRESSED until then, Phono

BR6hr.gif

VAMPIRE DIARIES FANS, I KNOW SOME OF Y'ALL ARE IN HERE

Can we talk about how your girl is a FLOP?

What is this Ellen performance Kermit the Frog vocal MESS. PURE MESS. THAT POOR STAGE.

Kat Graham, you've been trying for years, but I think now's the time to HANG IT UP.

What a mess. Ciara-lite. But doesn't know how to dance. And probably doesn't know how to put out a hitsingle. Oh wait, Ciara doesn't know either. Makes Kat an even worse offender. Has FLOP written all over it.

Majmun

Ciara is a beast when it comes to crazy moves.

Nice find, it's great comparison material. It makes the Kat Grahahaham performance look like a dull church sermon.

But poor Ciara. The thing is struggling so hard for a hitsingle. I wonder if her next album will deliver. She has potential...

royalan

Ciara is a beast when it comes to crazy moves.

Nice find, it's great comparison material. It makes the Kat Grahahaham performance look like a dull church sermon.

But poor Ciara. The thing is struggling so hard for a hitsingle. I wonder if her next album will deliver. She has potential...

Yeah. Ciara is kind of a flop these days, but she has so much potential. Great performer, and her debut "Goodies" era was about as flawless as a debut could be.

I also loved "Promise". Kinda liked "Never Ever"

But she really lost her footing when she split off from Jazzy Pha (the man behind all of her "Goodies" hits) and tried to ditch the Atlanta scene. She was the Princess of Crunk; not the Princess of Hollywood.

I think she knows this next album is her last chance at maintaining a music career, so I hope the reason she's been so quiet lately is that she's really working hard on a comeback album. Because she really needs a hit something at this point (single, album, hell buzz track), probably more than any other artist I can think of.

Peru

All of Ciara's recent albums have had plenty of great songs, just not a hit (but which real rnb girl gets a hit these days?). "Ride" came close.. "Promise" remains the best song EVER, though.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Can we stop all this talk about basic bitches and move onto one of the top ones? Of course

Rihanna

Today is the 5-year anniversary of the album that launched her from stardom to idol status, Good Girl Gone Bad. Yes, the album that has had the others opressed, depressed, and repressed trying to have as much of an impact as it had. Three Hot 100 #1s (Umbrella, Take a Bow, Disturbia), a Top 3 Hot 100 (and #1 dance song classic) Don't stop the music, and millions of albums sold.

Since GGGB, Rih has went on to keep the other pop-stars on their toes, worried about their future with numerous hits and flaw-free singles and albums that has continued keeping the haters PRESSED.

Who else?

zYjCP.jpg

ec20fb7f.gif

#HappyBirthdayGGGB

^ Trending WW right now

Mumei

Today is the 5-year anniversary of the album that launched her from stardom to idol status, Good Girl Gone Bad. Yes, the album that has had the others opressed, depressed, and repressed trying to have as much of an impact as it had. Three Hot 100 #1s (Umbrella, Take a Bow, Disturbia), a Top 3 Hot 100 (and #1 dance song classic) Don't stop the music, and millions of albums sold.

I don't see #1 album anywhere in that list.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Moving quickly on from lessers, I've been listening to the new Scissor Sisters album and it's really good.

They've definitely moved on from their Night Work sound. It's not quite as sexy. But there's some real dancefloor fillers (Shady Love feat. Azealia Banks, Only The Horses, Somewhere) and some classic Scissor Sistersy songs (Baby Come Home, Keep Your Shoes On, San Luis Obispo).

It's not as consistent and coherent as Night Work (which I felt was their best yet) and no heights quite as high as Invisible Light, but it's pretty much great all the same. Too many ballads tho tbh.

Scissor_Sisters_2225758b.jpg

Flaw free HOLY SISTERS OF THE SCISSOR do it again tbh. It's getting mixed reviews and I can see why tho.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I don't see #1 album anywhere in that list.

This excuse is really tiring. Adam Lambert just got a #1 album with less than what Rihanna's has debuted with. If she was to release an album around this time you know it would be number for a few weeks.

Her number 1 hits speak for themselves
iRCAxjPbmC0k0.gif

This excuse is really tiring. Adam Lambert just got a #1 album with less than what Rihanna's has debuted with. If she was to release an album around this time you know it would be number for a few weeks.

Her number 1 hits speak for themselves
iRCAxjPbmC0k0.gif

pretty much

the girl has been a success by any reasonable definition of the word

pretty much EVERYONE here has sheepishly admitted to liking at least a few tracks at some point

it's time to come out of the closet, guys

iRCAxjPbmC0k0.gif

royalan

Y'all do know that the person featured in the gif you're using to stan for Rihanna is Tyra - self-proclaimed Queen of the Beyonce Stans...

lol

Trigger

I wouldn't know. Here in the first world we only have quality programming.

Touche. Even as an American I can't throw shade at the BBC. There are some really quality stuff there.

Rihanna...what in the reductive remix hell...?

Where Have You Been.....feat. Flo-Rida

This is so awful. I can't. WHYB has officially jumped the shark for me.

TLhei.gif

Flo Rida has surpassed Will.I.Am and Pitbull in terms of sheer awfulness and ubiquity. Why does he get so much work?

royalan

...it didn't when you first heard it?

True tea - I was never checking for it. I just wanted to be nice and not provoke the rabid Navy.

That said, this got me to thinking...remember back in the 90s/early 2000s when remixes used to be big deals? Wasn't just a ploy for more airplay; artists used to completely rearrange tracks, re-record vocals, and get really creative in reinterpreting their standard hits.

Heck, some of my favorite acts released entire remix albums:

J To Tha L-O - The Remixes (actually went #1 on Billboard Hot 100)
OM0Ob.jpg

Standout Track - "I'm Real Murda Remix Ft. Ja Rule"

Destiny's Child - This is the Remix
DmuED.jpg

Standout Track - "Bootylicious (Rockwilder Remix)" (Better than the original, in my opinion)

Just two good examples off the top of my head.

Now all these hoes do is shoehorn another artist onto the same track in a desperate attempt to force a #1.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I am not here for false shade. That remix is just Flo Rida trying to get work, he did a remix for We Found Love as well.

Stick to collabing with J.lo, Flo. Rihanna aint here for it
tumblr_lr4y3yN74L1r2hybuo1_500.gif

Mumei

I know. I said I wanted to say that...

She just . . .doesn't give you the reason.

pretty much

the girl has been a success by any reasonable definition of the word

Oh, she's a success, sure.

But she's not an icon. She's not a legend. She's not a queen.

pretty much EVERYONE here has sheepishly admitted to liking at least a few tracks at some point

it's time to come out of the closet, guys

iRCAxjPbmC0k0.gif

Me?

iO3tx8XPGzNoI.gif

Such two-facededness....should be ashamed, tbh

As I said in the plug.chat - I don't believe Moblin's Rihanna stanning for a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom