• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzFpF8xWVtQ

Catchy song, great video.

The first world is saving pop, one single at a time.
So this is the first Idol winner?

Not too bad.
iD33WWtgiHV9e.gif

I can't even front, it's fucking terrible. I bet his teeth are just as awful as everything else about him.

I am easily trifled when people come for the Goddess of Idol in order to champion some other talent show lessor. That said, I don't know enough/care enough about Will Young to shade the fool beyond insults that apply to everyone from the UK
c3ed7b23.gif

Bladenic

LOL trashing Godson yet shoving these boring uninspired messed down our throats.

Also, which one is Cheryl Cole from that Girls Aloud cover? None of them look like her lawl.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
LOL trashing Godson yet shoving these boring uninspired messed down our throats.

Boring? Uninspired? 'Boring and uninspired' could be a Belly Lardson ALBUM TITLE.

Let me know when Belly Lardson gets 8.5 from Pitchfork, sis. Even their indie darling bands don't often get those kinds of scores.

The only other popstar who gets that from them is SUPERIOR GODBYN CARLSSON.

I'm glad we are taking Pitchfork of all outlets into account, those pop experts! People who stan for a Metascore are almost as bad as people who stan for Nielsen Soundscan.

P.S. Robyn is flawless, and I'm confident enough to say that without having to have my opinion validated by tastemakers, who are normally unnecessary when it comes to Pop music.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
All I'm saying is that pop stars don't get 8.5 from Pitchfork by being 'boring and uninspired'.

Belly Lardson is practically the living AVATAR of 'boring and uninspired' though.

Since you're so hung up about Pitchfork, let's see how they really feel:

Minor player Pink revolted into rock: her confessional teenbeat became part-template for Avril (tolerated), Ashlee (mocked), and Kelly (embraced).

"American Idol" and the whole global merry-go-round of reality TV pop properties are more than just hit shows-- they're the largest and most public acts of rock criticism ever committed. They take the "everyone's a critic" truism and say, "Yes, and what's more, we trust you to be good critics on our terms-- to an extent." The show mixes a series of performances with a series of arguments-- amongst the judges, between judges and performers, between judges and the public, and across a million blogs, message boards, offices, and living rooms. All the arguments are about the same thing: What makes a star? Though after a while the question shifts to "what does it take to win 'Idol'?" which is a bit less interesting. And if you really want to narrow it down, the argument is simply: "What's the best way to get something tolerable out of Simon Cowell's definition of pop?"
Answering this question has led to some immense records-- "Since U Been Gone" is a lot of people's favorite pop single of the decade, and still has a gigantic impact on the kind of music new stars (not to mention Kelly Clarkson herself) are asked to make. But more commonly there's a weird disconnect between what reality TV produces and what's happening in the rest of pop. It's become a cliché to point out that Madonna would never have won "American Idol", but Cowellite icon Mariah wouldn't have either, at least judging by her street-smart, collaborative 00s output.

Songs about wresting your self-respect back from a bad lover have an unfortunate tendency to turn into shrill, one-sided attacks. All-American belter Kelly Clarkson, however, had a much less petty take on self-empowerment: "Your loss, sucker. I'm still gonna live my life. And better than ever before."
So, sure, "Since U Been Gone" gave us one of the most blunt rallying cries of the last ten years, a perfectly realized sing-along chorus that will be a karaoke staple for years. But it's fair to say that no one, even her early post-TV partisans, figured on an "American Idol" winner turning out such a great rock song, let alone a 21st-century indie rock pastiche given a world-conquering pop glaze by Swedish impresario Max Martin. But homage to certain new millennium New York bands isn't why the song transcends. It's Clarkson's go-for-broke performance, those reality show-honed pipes finally put to expressing the unfiltered joy of newfound freedom. --Jess Harvell

Searched the site, couldn't find a thing about Will Young. Oops.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Hung up on Pitchfork? Sis you were the one who tried to turn down the tea, and now you're the one running off to pull up off-hand references from their archives. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Hung up on Pitchfork? Sis you were the one who tried to turn down the tea, and now you're the one running off to pull up off-hand references from their archives. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Yeah, I don't use Pitchfork except to expose the hypocrisy of those whose musical tastes are molded by a 1-10 number.

Off-hand? They named it the 21st best song of the 2000s, which is where that final snippet comes from.

They even ranked it higher than Godbyn's "With Every Heartbeat".

The real question, of course, is whether Pitchfork-related tea even matters.

QbxhY.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yeah, I don't use Pitchfork except to expose the hypocrisy of those whose musical tastes are molded by a 1-10 number.

At what point did I claim this, exactly? All that I said is that you don't get an 8.5 from Pitchfork by being a boring and uninspired pop artist. Now you're claiming that I'm a 'hypocrite' whose 'musical tastes are molded by a 1-10 number'? Can you spell non-sequitur, hun?

If you don't want to go by Pitchfork then Borelly Uninspiredson still shouts tediously over yawn-inducing pop-rock backing tracks. No numbers needed.

Off-hand? They named it the 21st best song of the 2000s, which is where that final snippet comes from.

They even ranked it higher than Godbyn's "With Every Heartbeat".

The real question, of course, is whether Pitchfork-related tea even matters.

QbxhY.gif

I'm not going to let your facts get in my way.

At what point did I claim this, exactly? All that I said is that you don't get an 8.5 from Pitchfork by being a boring and uninspired pop artist. Now you're claiming that I'm a 'hypocrite' whose 'musical tastes are molded by a 1-10 number'? Can you spell non-sequitur, hun?
The hypocrisy being you championing this 8.5 review (which I have still yet to see) and then dismissing the receipts of Kelly's critical acclaim from the very same outlet. Basically the point I'm trying to make is that these critics scores for pop music are useless, and why bring them up in the first place.

If you don't want to go by Pitchfork then Borelly Uninspiredson still shouts tediously over yawn-inducing pop-rock backing tracks. No numbers needed.
Now I don't mind you saying this because it's just you and your own
woefully misinformed
opinion!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The hypocrisy being you championing this 8.5 review (which I have still yet to see) and then dismissing the receipts of Kelly's critical acclaim from the very same outlet. Basically the point I'm trying to make is that these critics scores for pop music are useless, and why bring them up in the first place.

I wasn't dismissing them
although given that they must have been written during a carbon monoxide leak they should be dismissed tbh
, I was saying that you accused me of riding Pitchfork's dick and then ran off to drag up whatever they'd said about Kelly over the years.

droppdtcpm82.gif

(which I have still yet to see)

Choice receipts:

So it's no surprise that their greatest hits, arriving after only three album's worth of singles, is as exhausting as it is captivating, a whirlwind trip through bizarre but lovable pop gadgetry that may leave the uninitiated reeling.

But Girls Aloud don't need to steal my heart when the rest of me has already been seduced by their deathless hooks and multi-genre pyrotechnics, starting from new wave drum & bass and expanding to embrace elements of electroclash, big beat, and even skiffle, in songs stuffed to the gills with two, three, sometimes four different choruses, sounding like patchwork assemblages of the best bits of a hundred fantasy pop songs, smoothly and effortlessly changing gears at a moment's notice.

'Boring and uninspired'?
ibvlqo4vdgnicyeryv2.gif

I wasn't dismissing them
although given that they must have been written during a carbon monoxide leak they should be dismissed tbh
, I was saying that you accused me of riding Pitchfork's dick and then ran off to drag up whatever they'd said about Kelly over the years.
Yeah, but the reason I ran and got those receipts was because I figured I would be speaking your language!

Choice receipts:

'Boring and uninspired'?
ibvlqo4vdgnicyeryv2.gif
Oh, I thought we were talking about Will. I do like Girls Aloud
05t3w.gif

P.S. I think you're confusing me with Chris, who was the one who actually called your music boring and uninspired.

botty

Banned
Enough of all this lessor talk.

SHE is coming...

2TdwT.png

I can't wait to see how she reinvents herself, and teaches these hoes how originality is done.

tumblr_lt47ekznke1qdf8w1o6_250.gif

ymtdmr8m85.gif
ymtdmr8m85.gif
ymtdmr8m85.gif
ymtdmr8m85.gif
ymtdmr8m85.gif
ymtdmr8m85.gif
ymtdmr8m85.gif
ymtdmr8m85.gif
ymtdmr8m85.gif

Bladenic

I actually meant just that one song to be boring and uninspired, I never heard a song by Girls Aloud and I like Leona alright lol.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Let's get a history of Xtincta's 'original reinventions' to date.

'The Britney':
Christinaaguilera-christinaaguilera.jpg

'The Shakira':
02_-_Mi_Reflejo.jpg

'The Mariah':
04_-_My_Kind_Of_Christmas_-2-.jpg

'The Tramp':
Christina_Aguilera_-_Stripped.jpg

'The Still Basic':
B2B_Official_Album%28HQ%29.jpg

'The Robyn':
Christina_Aguilera_-_Bionic.jpg

Maybe next she could try copying SUCCESS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom