• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

autograph2.gif

YASSSSS. WITH THE #NEWERA quickly approaching, it's time for the faithful to suit up!

botty

Banned
I can't wait for the Hagdonna stans to come and tell us that Gaga is a terrible person for trying to offer help to victims of bullying.

Well, considering Madonna has been popular all her life, she probably can not relate to victims of bullying. Lady gaga can, though.

I can't wait for the Hagdonna stans to come and tell us that Gaga is a terrible person for trying to offer help to victims of bullying.

There's nothing wrong standing up for the outcasts of society.

There is however a BETTER way of dealing with the hardships that life has to throw at you. Defiance and self-determination will always be a more POSITIVE life attitude than creating your entire identity as a victim.

1320.jpg

Well, considering Madonna has been popular all her life, she probably can not relate to victims of bullying. Lady gaga can, though.

This post is so hilariously wrong I'll leave it alone.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

There is however a BETTER way of dealing with the hardships that life has to offer. Defiance and self-determination l will always be a more POSITIVE life attitude than creating your entire identity as a victim.

1320.jpg

This post is so hilariously wrong I'll leave it alone.

I don't see how any of what Gaga is saying says 'create your identity as a victim'.

royalan

There is however a BETTER way of dealing with the hardships that life has to throw at you. Defiance and self-determination will always be a more POSITIVE life attitude than creating your entire identity as a victim.

The truest of tea.

Mau ®

My faves slaying the summer

2. CARLY RAE JEPSEN - Call Me Maybe: 167.655 (+ 2.355)

8. RIHANNA - Where Have You Been: 105.898 (+ 2.010) ▲

5kls2f.jpg
5kls2f.jpg
5kls2f.jpg
5kls2f.jpg
5kls2f.jpg
5kls2f.jpg
5kls2f.jpg
5kls2f.jpg
5kls2f.jpg
5kls2f.jpg
5kls2f.jpg

Mau ®

For reference, if this album comes out before the following:

In the time Justin Timberlake has been gone Rihanna has will have released 5 albums

Since Bionic, Rihanna will have released 3 albums

Rihanna's ENTIRE 7 album CAREER has taken place while JoJo has not been able to release ONE ALBUM.

My fave is so productive. Is yours as productive as RihALLAH?

I dont think so

tumblr_li7a9hNhlM1qewmu6o1_r1_500.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned

Not here for the Carly Rae stanning, Crump Rae.

!?!?!?

I thought Rihanna was having several seats this year on the album front?

;_;

#PRESSED cause Rih is about to block Xtincta from the charts again? You should be.

More WONDERFUL MUSIC from THE BAJAN QUEEN is coming.

tumblr_lstmirPH1W1qewmu6o1_500.gif

Loud Era sound plz and im HERE

Agreed. More music from Rih? If it's Loud era, I'm dead.

In the time Justin Timberlake has been gone Rihanna has will have released 5 albums

Rihanna's ENTIRE 7 album CAREER has taken place while JoJo has not been able to release ONE ALBUM.

I dont think so

#PRODUCTIVITY

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

I dont think so

My faves win, soz.

220px-The_Fabs.JPG

Koodo

Banned
Rihanus has turned comically similar to the Saw franchise, releasing a rushed mess every Halloween season.

The cow will run dry at this pace, and Talk That Tripe's massive drop in singles and album success from the previous era is an early sign that DUST is starting to settle in.

royalan

I prefer that my faves take time between albums to allow actual growth and creative reflection. It makes the album all the more interesting to listen to, analyze and savor - like a juicy ribeye...and not a McDonalds pattie.

DMeisterJ

Banned
People are so STEAM PRESSED and BOTHERED by Rih's productivity and continued success. As they should be.

I know the Rih hate comes from a DESPERATE place, so it's all good with me.

Mau ®

People are so STEAM PRESSED and BOTHERED by Rih's productivity and continued success. As they should be.

I know the Rih hate comes from a DESPERATE place, so it's all good with me.

I keep hearing the same #PRESSED opinions yet the Rihanna Reign carries on.

#EliteNaviShit #MAYAH #WeBadYouMad #neaux1curr

royalan

I keep hearing the same #PRESSED opinions yet the Rihanna Reign carries on.

#EliteNaviShit #MAYAH #WeBadYouMad #neaux1curr

While I wouldn't say that TTT was a flop....I definitely wouldn't consider it a smashing success or evidence of her reign. I mean, 5 singles and only one undeniable hit. Her big summer song struggling to stay in the top 10 (and a #1 showing pretty much guaranteed to not happen at this point).

I agree with Koodo. If anything I think Talk That Mediocrity's quickly fading relevance is a sign that Rihanna needs to cool it on the albums for a little while. Take some time off. Guest star on Girls next season. Do a Broadway musical. Get pregnant. Something.

Rihanna should put an anchor in her navy cruise ship while it's still afloat and let cooler people manage the pop scene for the rest of the year. Not here for another myriad of horny uninspired background noise for vibrator infomercials. I'd take new Katy Perry over Chlamydia Spice any day of the week.

horny, uninspired background noise, eh?

Dirty Pony I can't wait to hose you down
You've got to earn your leather in this part of town
Dirty pearls and a patch for all the Rivington Rebels
Let's raise hell in the streets drink beer and get into trouble

CS06e.gif

royalan

Rihanna should put an anchor in her navy cruise ship while it's still afloat and let cooler people manage the pop scene for the rest of the year. Not here for another myriad of horny uninspired background noise for vibrator infomercials. I'd take new Katy Perry over Chlamydia Spice any day of the week.
I nearly pissed myself.

Mumei

I prefer that my faves take time between albums to allow actual growth and creative reflection. It makes the album all the more interesting to listen to, analyze and savor - like a juicy ribeye...and not a McDonalds pattie.

1990 Mariah Carey
1991 Emotions
1992 MTV Unplugged
1993 Music Box
1994 Merry Christmas
1995 Daydream
1997 Butterfly
1998 #1s
1999 Rainbow
2001 Glitter
2002 Charmbracelet

what sort of stealth mariah shade

So what's the best Prince album for curious ears?
CS06e.gif

Purple Rain, Sign “☮” the Times, or 1999 if you want albums that are effectively "perfect", as much as that word has any meaning in the context of music.

Those are the three of his that consistently rank among the "greatest albums of all time" from various publications.

Edit: to expand just a bit:

Purple Rain is if you want to listen to an album with a great deal of cultural saturation

Sign “☮” the Times is if you want to listen to an album that summed up decades of soul and funk and propelled American R&B forward

1999 is if you want his album with the most obvious, direct influence on modern pop

There isn't a single bad song on any of the three.

Yes I am glad we are spending the whole page shading her since thats the only reason I brought her up
a brilliantly-executed plan tbh

royalan

1990 Mariah Carey
1991 Emotions
1992 MTV Unplugged
1993 Music Box
1994 Merry Christmas
1995 Daydream
1997 Butterfly
1998 #1s
1999 Rainbow
2001 Glitter
2002 Charmbracelet

Well, 90s Mimi gets a pass for being utterly flawless.

botty

Banned
1990 Mariah Carey
1991 Emotions
1992 MTV Unplugged
1993 Music Box
1994 Merry Christmas
1995 Daydream
1997 Butterfly
1998 #1s
1999 Rainbow
2001 Glitter
2002 Charmbracelet

If you really look at that list, and the purpose of certain albums, it makes sense compared to say... Rihanna's release dates.

Purple Rain, Sign “☮” the Times, or 1999 if you want albums that are effectively "perfect", as much as that word has any meaning in the context of music.

Those are the three of his that consistently rank among the "greatest albums of all time" from various publications.

Edit: to expand just a bit:

Purple Rain is if you want to listen to an album with a great deal of cultural saturation

Sign “☮” the Times is if you want to listen to an album that summed up decades of soul and funk and propelled American R&B forward

1999 is if you want his album with the most obvious, direct influence on modern pop

There isn't a single bad song on any of the three.
Gracias! It's a shame Prince is so internet-averse.

Mau ®

All I see here is people #PRESSED at the PROSPECT of a NEW RIHANNA album that is CONFIRMED to not come out until 2013, as she said herself.

Also, I like how WHYB is suddenly a non-hit when it's in the TOP 10 AND CLIMBING, not STRUGGLING like the Xtincta stan said. Getting 2M updates daily is struggling now? Pfff what was happening to Xtincta then?

Ch...

DMeisterJ

Banned
All I see here is people #PRESSED at the PROSPECT of a NEW RIHANNA album that is CONFIRMED to not come out until 2013, as she said herself.

Also, I like how WHYB is suddenly a non-hit when it's in the TOP 10 AND CLIMBING, not STRUGGLING like the Xtincta stan said. Getting 2M updates daily is struggling now? Pfff what was happening to Xtincta then?

Ch...

Seriously.

Most artists would dream of having the success Rih has had with "Talk That Mediocrity" or "Talk That Tripe". It's like I'm living in fantasy land where pop stars' songs make it into the top 10 all damn day, and I can list tons that haven't had the level of success that Rih had with Talk That Talk. How many #1s did Memoris of an Imperfect Angel get? Oh, 0. How many did MDNA get? Oh, 0. How many did Bionic get? Oh, lol.

If Rihanna is turning into SAW and losing quality, and not doing well, what the FUCK are the other pop girls doing?

Ch...

H520T.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom