• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

Off to the Races should also be a single. Why is Lana ignoring it

http://i.imgur.com/qwM9G.gif[/MG][/QUOTE]

Why ruin her string of sappy, boring love songs by releasing something that's radio friendly?

[spoiler]I really do like Summertime Sadness though[/spoiler]

The embarrassing truth? Of what? That the people around Britney and her brainless stans are contributing to an embarrassing "feud" that neither artist has commented on in years? That X-Factor is so shameless in trying to build relevance for its upcoming season that it's digging up fossilized beef in the hopes that Britney's zergling stans will eat it up?

All the while Xtina, her team, and the show continue to keep it cool and classy.

You're giving me Myspace teas with all this pointless, hateful, ill-thought, one-sided, shortbus shade.

Don't even bother love, taking the rational route when arguing with Britney fans will serve you nothing. They will always cling to the fact that she's successful, regardless of how lifeless/uninspired/apathetic/terrible/embarrassing/laughable their icon is in pretty much every modern category. Nobody is arguing that Britney's successful. It's Britney Spears. Her fans will invest in anything her management team decides she needs to release, and she's got enough of those fans to find success unconditionally. But using that as a rebuttal to everything is just embarrassing. If anything, it shows me how foolish her fans look when defending her current success by saying that they're investing in it.

Come at us with a real rebuttal next time. I don't give a shit how much Britney Spears has grossed, coz that's beside the point. If anything it helps PROVE my point.

Cool down, ladies.

Have a glass of KITTEN *.*

2926253.jpg

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Don't even bother love, taking the rational route when arguing with Britney fans will serve you nothing. They will always cling to the fact that she's successful, regardless of how lifeless/uninspired/apathetic/terrible/embarrassing/laughable their icon is in pretty much every modern category. Nobody is arguing that Britney's successful. It's Britney Spears. Her fans will invest in anything her management team decides she needs to release, and she's got enough of those fans to find success unconditionally. But using that as a rebuttal to everything is just embarrassing. If anything, it shows me how foolish her fans look when defending her current success by saying that they're investing in it.

Come at us with a real rebuttal next time. I don't give a shit how much Britney Spears has grossed, coz that's beside the point. If anything it helps PROVE my point.

ooooh shade

SaintZ

Off to the Races should also be a single. Why is Lana ignoring it
Seriously, argh! I wonder if the Dark Paradise video is going to be like Carmen's though, just vintage footage pasted together. I love the whole album but if we weren't going to get OTTR as a single I would've preferred This Is What Makes Us Girls next, tbh (or Without You but being a bonus track hurts its chances :/).
Marius_ said:
but where is the Summertime Sadness video
The official page of Lana Del Rey on Universal-Music.de website revealed that “Summertime Sadness” is going to be released in Germany tomorrow (June 22) as the thrid single from “Born To Die”. The single will use the ‘Radio Edit’ and it will have an exclusive version on iTunes which will include two remixes: “Summertime Sadness (Extended Mix)” and “Summertime Sadness (Hannes Fischer Nightflight Remix)“. It was also revealed that the video will come out in ther site in few days.

Also, National Anthem is going to be released on July 8 (the single, the video idk). BTW, today is Lana's 26th birthday! :D
Ul2TD.gif

Kyon

Banned
I'm more than a bit worried with how people will react to Britney's commentary as a judge. Dat misogynistic media always trying to set up our fave gurls for failure. But Britney is pretty poorly spoken, which makes her sound uneducated, and the media would absolutely have a field day if she ever has her own "Is it chicken or tuna?" moment. I was quite surprised her handlers went for this gig with all the live shows she'll be doing. Hopefully she's had some elocution lessons or something; I'm not here to witness another Britney breakdown.

Attention all media outlets: Don't talk shit about Brit
wxvOK.gif

<3

She's been MURDERING as a judge from all the footage out there :"""""""""""""") sis she is getting so comfortable for the camera I wuv it. this is so good for ha

Why lordt? I can't clap for this at all. Why can't you just stand there and sing? My fave does it. lol. All this tired dancing AND singing to backing tracks, or just plain old lipping your performance. Who's fave played 21 SOLD OUT shows in the same venue, with a different setlist every night? Didn't need a dance troupe. Didn't need prerecorded vocals. And he hadn't had a hit record in about 10 or 15 yrs. oh yeah, that was my fave. lol.

Sorry to interrupt the whole stan war thing, but The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do, Fiona Apple's new album, has gotten an overwhelmingly positive reception from critics and is on track to be one of the most well-received pop albums of the year.

gfynp.jpg

Los Angeles Times said:
“The Idler Wheel” is an exquisitely rendered work, with as many thrilling moments of silence and space as with vocal drama. It’s essential 2012 listening for anyone interested in popular music as art. And like all great albums, it’s an encapsulation of all that has come before it as filtered through a singular aesthetic.
Link

Pitchfork said:
This is the most distilled Fiona Apple album yet. While her celebrated previous work was marked by eclectic musical flourishes courtesy of producers including Jon Brion and Mike Elizondo, The Idler Wheel is fearlessly austere in comparison.
Link

Paste said:
All the eccentricities seem to be intact on The Idler Wheel: the reliance on big words and jumbled phrasing, the delivery that’s somehow both intimate and operatic, the seemingly nonsensical poem-as-album-title. Even the album cover, so knowingly ugly and off-putting, cautions rather than entices listeners. A self-portrait, the image suggests a woman whose head is heavy with ideas both creative and destructive. In that sense, it’s a perfect match to Apple’s songs.
Link

Rolling Stone said:
From another performer, lines like those would be a deal breaker. But with Apple you can excuse them, and even learn to love them. Apple is a true eccentric. On The Idler Wheel..., surprises lurk around every corner.
Link

You guys should buy it. It's really quite good.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

You people still haven't addressed the fact that her MUSIC is as GOOD as it ever was.

Cynosure

Royalan said:
And Xtina didnt SUBMIT ANYTHING to FORBES? SHE DIDN'T SUBMIT ANYTHING because there was NOTHING to SUBMIT. Lets NOT.
...So what you're saying is, in that entire year, Christina Aguilera made no money? That she's just doing The Voice for free? That her feature on "Moves Like Jagger" she supplied pro bono?

On what planet...

3XiVp.jpg

Christina makes more in day's work than most us would make in many lifetimes.

IOmes.gif

They will always cling to the fact that she's successful, regardless of how lifeless/uninspired/apathetic/terrible/embarrassing/laughable their icon is in pretty much every modern category.

She not really as successful as the stans make her out to be.
sales of albums released around the same time, in million of the largest market:
21 - 9.3
Speak Now - 4
Born This Way - 2.2
Teenage Dream - 2.2
Pink Friday - 1.8
Loud - 1.6
4 - 1.1
Femme Fatale - 0.8

Soulscribe said:
Come at us with a real rebuttal next time.

soulscribe-4.gif

The 4 sign :eek:

vUkWL.gif

You people still haven't addressed the fact that her MUSIC is as GOOD as it ever was.
Mhm. This is why I don't mind her recent...um, coma. She basically had more "life" during Circus than Femme Fatale but that didn't make the album any better. Of course, I had never planned on seeing her live and I do want her to enjoy her career, but part of me wishes she would drop all the side-endeavors and focus on being more prolific in creating albums, Rihanna-style. The reason I like Britney is because she is like a vessel for very "of-the-moment" pop music- it's not usually groundbreaking but it's also not usually dated, and her good songs seem to stand the test of time better than most mainstream pop artists. I think every pophead has a Britney song or two they jam to, even if it's a secret to everybody. If she would drop all the promo/touring bullshit that she doesn't seem to care about* and just deliver us albums more often, I'd be a happy stan.

*Here's where someone will tell me how she looks so happy on stage and she chose to do The X-Factor of her own volition and other stuff I probably won't believe

Kyon

Banned
Wait... Xtincta stans wanna bring up albums now? I guess this is the only site that wouldn't laugh at the thought. It explains why they even have a PRESENCE here at all

Fq9fm.gif
Fq9fm.gif
Fq9fm.gif
Fq9fm.gif
Fq9fm.gif

Koodo

Banned
It's such a simple concept that the Little Periods are unaware of, for some reason. At the end of the day, music is consumed 95% through speakers; an artist's live performing or day-to-day presence is absolutely minuscule in comparison. If the music itself is good, that truly is enough reason to bother.

And that's the reason Xtincta is such a FAILURE. Not that I'm going to state the Floor Wetters have wrong taste since that's subjective, but a little self-awareness to realize their opinion is diametrically opposed to that of the world at large would be healthy. Xtincta is one of the worst rated "artists" in the industry for a reason, further evidenced by her ever-declining and now non-existent commercial success. The overwhelming majority just don't want to USE her music.

It never ceases to be laughable when the word "standards" is written in the same sentence as Xtincta, because no one would want their faves to dip to the "standards" set by Xtincta. That would be an insult even to Rihanus.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Is the Christina/Britney stan-war still happening? Arguing about which Reality TV Competition host is more relevant, sells more records, has more standars, what-the-eff-ever, is so basic.

botty

Banned
Is the Christina/Britney stan-war still happening? Arguing about which Reality TV Competition host is more relevant, sells more records, has more standars, what-the-eff-ever, is so basic.

The funny thing is... by the logic Britney stans use, Rihanna is the superior artist!

Kyon

Banned
The funny thing is... by the logic Britney stans use, Rihanna is the superior artist!

In singles yes. Everything Else?

Fq9fm.gif

Rihanna still PUNCHED Xtina out THAT game tho. So you can't even try THAT. The LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR is what your fave has BECOME. Anyone and their fave can drag ha. Even CARLY RAE STANS.

Fq9fm.gif

Koodo

Banned
Rihanus is at least listenable at times and won't be sending anyone on a one-way trip to a deafening case of TINNITUS.

Which just goes to show that some people stan for quantity, while others stan for quality.
Much like your fave who has a penchant for 20+ track albums of overwhelming filler.

When will quality over quantity cross her mind?

i42CajkTvSpLK.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

ikr, at least the Hags and the flawless Little Monster actually have ground to stan on
the rest is just...

iNRz2lsUzw7vV.gif

Kyon

Banned
SOUL is a LITTLE PERIOD now? To think being a little Cutter was the only THING. You should be EMBARASSED to be a Gaga stan and be a part of that POOL of FAILURE aka the XTINCA Club

Fq9fm.gif

Cynosure

Wait... Xtincta stans wanna bring up albums now? I guess this is the only site that wouldn't laugh at the thought. It explains why they even have a PRESENCE here at all

If Bionic is the only album Christina has, then Shitney's only album is Flop Fatale. Christina would then be last in the sales department, but Shitney would still be near her at the bottom.

At least Christina is not at the bottom of every category. She still ranks high in quality/talent.

Xtincta is one of the worst rated "artists" in the industry for a reason, further evidenced by her ever-declining and now non-existent commercial success..

This contradicts the fact that her tour grossings increased with each era.
I really doubt she cares much about album sales, which is why B2B was a double-disc album.

The Bionic era is not her only era.

iHNAUuXed1rEC.gif

Kyon

Banned
Well, Britney (or rather the people who control her life) thought Xtina had type of quality when they stole her Circus theme.

iHNAUuXed1rEC.gif

Are you sure you are an Xtina fan?
B2TB was a 20's themes era. Hilarious a few performances automatically make it a THEME. And the Circus theme isn't original hun.

oh man keep it COMING. It won't make Xtincta and LESS of a FAILURE or NON FACTOR in LIFE.

The only CIRCUS act here is XTINCTA and her PERIODS.

Fq9fm.gif

royalan

Lets break down the lies, misinformation, and neural diahrea put to type that is this post, shall we?

It's such a simple concept that the Little Periods are unaware of, for some reason. At the end of the day, music is consumed 95% through speakers; an artist's live performing or day-to-day presence is absolutely minuscule in comparison. If the music itself is good, that truly is enough reason to bother.

And this is really the sad thing about it. Of course, taste in music is subjective and everyone's entitled to like what they like, but the fact that so many of Britney's "fans" couldn't give a flying fuck about her as long as her barely-there vocals are added to some tracks is just saddening. Britney is a visible mess. But whatever, just keep pushing out them records.

And that's the reason Xtincta is such a FAILURE. Not that I'm going to state the Floor Wetters have wrong taste since that's subjective, but a little self-awareness to realize their opinion is diametrically opposed to that of the world at large would be healthy. Xtincta is one of the worst rated "artists" in the industry for a reason, further evidenced by her ever-declining and now non-existent commercial success. The overwhelming majority just don't want to USE her music.

Strike 1: Using Metacritic

Strike 2: Using a Metacritic aggregate score that doesn't even include her debut album.

Foul Ball: Claiming "non-existent commercial success" when she's recently gotten a #1 single to her credit, a successful television show, and a pending album due to be released this year.

Strike 3: Citing album "reviews" as the barometer for whether or not someone's music is wanted.

#ICANT at the sloppy desperation of these so-called receipts! Nor can I at the PRESSED DESPERATION on the part of the Little Prozacs/Little Lethargics/Little "Daddy Can I Spend My Own Money Today?"s (Still trying to decide what name suits you all best) to bring Christina into this. As if all of Britney's flaws are just magically erased by the existence of another artist. Talk about desperation. Talk about existential crises.

It never ceases to be laughable when the word "standards" is written in the same sentence as Xtincta, because no one would want their faves to dip to the "standards" set by Xtincta. That would be an insult even to Rihanus.

Yeah...Grammys, tens of millions of records sold, "Icon" status and respect amongst the industry. CHOIRS SINGING HER MUSIC. Those are some damn low standards.

botty

Banned
Are you sure you are an Xtina fan?
B2TB was a 20's themes era. Hilarious a few performances automatically make it a THEME. And the Circus theme isn't original hun.

oh man keep it COMING. It won't make Xtincta and LESS of a FAILURE or NON FACTOR in LIFE.

The only CIRCUS act here is XTINCTA and her PERIODS.

Fq9fm.gif

The circus aspect is a huge part of B2B and it's tour. The 20's might have been the era, but the theme was definitely Circus. Oh, and saying the Circus theme isn't "original" only magnifies the point that your fave wasn't being "original".

tumblr_m0dir6UBO81r6tqt6o2_250.gif

Koodo

Banned
This contradicts the fact that her tour grossings increased with each era.
I really doubt she cares much about album sales, which is why B2B was a double-disc album.

The Bionic era is not her only era.
Perhaps doing a quick check-up on the receipts FOR ONCE would be good for you.

R0RGj.gif

Stripped World Tour grossed over $70 million on a 48 date schedule. BTBT grossed over 90$ million on a 89 date schedule. AVERAGE GROSS took a laughable 76% DROP.

This is CONVENIENTLY IGNORING that the entire Stripped Tour (including the Justified leg) grossed more than Back To Basics (how prophetic).

Bionic Tour was cancelled and grossed approximately zero dollars.

She doesn't seem to care about critical or commercial reception, then. Perhaps she should care about SOMETHING.

Botty said:
Well, Britney (or rather the people who control her life) thought Xtina had some type of quality when they stole her Circus theme.
Yet another REVISIONIST DELUSION.

20120622-cn35yijsh42r3e1gjgnum432dm.png

NEXT.

And this is really the sad thing about it. Of course, taste in music is subjective and everyone's entitled to like what they like, but the fact that so many of Britney's "fans" couldn't give a flying fuck about her as long as her barely-there vocals are added to some tracks is just saddening. Britney is a visible mess. But whatever, just keep pushing out them records.

I think it could actually be a good "compromise" between her handlers/stans and Britney herself. She could just retreat to Louisiana and ditch the whole fame thing to raise her kids. Her only career responsibility would be recording music in a home studio or something. And since she would have more time to herself, her albums would hopefully showcase a happier/more personal side of her.

I'm probably being too idealistic but I can hope
ibfI13LcHC7D2B.png

And who knows, maybe she likes her life as it is now and we're all just bad at reading the signs. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom