• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
When will Rihanna lose her credibility

maybe once she gets some

tumblr_ly9b99XpKL1qetniqo1_500.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
not here for receipts while I was under the influence of POC or WHYB
iSeiJ634UaMAv.gif

now I need to stop posting because my 1000th post is coming
(omg I need to ban myself again )
and you gurls are not ready for it
iiQSH6PrVF9qT.gif

Faye's excellent "Water Against the Rocks" gets a digital release on the 25th, and there's a limited edition 7" that includes her first single, "Come to Me", that will arrive in mid-August.

It's good pop music.

L3wNd.jpg

And some of the more enlightened PopGAFfers have been jamming to Jessie Ware's awesome "110%" ever since HRD tipped us off. It was just announced that her album will be released on August 20. There's another song from the album that was uploaded to YouTube a few days ago, "Wildest Moments". It's a heavy, pretty ballad.

Fader calls her "outrageously elegant".

WryHa.jpg

Kyon

Banned

OMG someone played her in the early life of the DJ room and i was stanning *.* maybe it was you. I never added it to playlist so i never got the name or anything thanks for that <3

This should be #1 tbh

ibkJbnJt1N4h9x.gif

royalan

EgJTv.gif

Call Me Maybe is now the best selling digital single by an Idol!

ibuWfXYasMfyLX.GIF

Crazy that it's doing so well, but I think it's deserved.

CMM is just one of those moments where production, lyrics and vocal performance perfectly align to create flawless pop that you just can't get out of your head.

I had a dream last night that there was a RuPaul's Drag Race- type show except instead of drag queens it had the ladies of pop, and they had to walk the runway in their most iconic outfits, and then perform one of their signature songs each week. I'm pretty sure the final four were Beyonce, Rihanna (my subconscious is a Stan?), Lady Gaga and Britney Spears. Christina Aguilera was fifth but got booted coz the judges (Cher and Madge) were tired of her giving everybody a terrible attitude.

royalan

I had a dream last night that there was a RuPaul's Drag Race- type show except instead of drag queens it had the ladies of pop, and they had to walk the runway in their most iconic outfits, and then perform one of their signature songs each week. I'm pretty sure the final four were Beyonce, Rihanna (my subconscious is a Stan?), Lady Gaga and Britney Spears. Christina Aguilera was fifth but got booted coz the judges (Cher and Madge) were tired of her giving everybody a terrible attitude.

I....would watch that show.

But who would they impersonate for The Snatch Game?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Moblin making popgaf TOLERABLE once again.

ibumGdi23wuByC.gif

I had a dream last night that there was a RuPaul's Drag Race- type show except instead of drag queens it had the ladies of pop...

Makes sense: aren't our dreams directly affected by what we were doing/watching/thinking about shortly before going to sleep?

I dreamed that Francisco Lachowski let me touch his dick.

Us.

I....would watch that show.

They would just change that challenge to a trivia-off using questions about history and the arts.

The bottom two that week would be Britney and Rihanna. But in a live television TWIST (that had the girls GAAAAGGING) they disqualify Katy Perry for lying about being able to play the flute.

%5BHD%5D+Katy+Perry+Fails+at+Playing+Flute+California+Dreams+Tour+M-new.gif

royalan

They would just change that challenge to a trivia-off using questions about history and the arts.

The bottom two that week would be Britney and Rihanna. But in a live television TWIST (that had the girls GAAAAGGING) they disqualify Katy Perry for lying about being able to play the flute.

%5BHD%5D+Katy+Perry+Fails+at+Playing+Flute+California+Dreams+Tour+M-new.gif

Diva Kanye West has to be on the show, just so he can clock a 10th place finish and get into a fight with Pink backstage where he screams the famous line "BITCH I AM FROM CHICAGO!"

Xtina would probably be the one throwing drinks while yelling "I am sickening! BITCH!"

Britney would be Tati - super sweet but surprisingly bitchy in the confessional.

Beyonce is Tyra Sanchez...obviously

Madonna is Raven

Rihanna...can't find a fit for her

And God I'm thinking way too hard about this. Lol

The judges are Madonna, Cher and Tina Turner,

The contestants:

Katy Perry (Willam, sorta ironic and dead pan, and insanely pretty)

Rihanna (Morgan McMichaels, slutty and kinda swarmy)

Lady Gaga (Sharon Needles, obviously)

Beyonce (Tyra Sanchez, no personality but flawless runway)

Christina Aguilera (Phi Phi O'Hara, obviously)

Britney Spears (how is she NOT Tatianna?)

Pink (Raven? Kinda mean but does it in an ironic way)

Shakira (Yara Sofia?)

Adele (Latrice Royale, the mother hen and a boatload of personality to match)

Gwen Stefani (The Princess, eliminated early but people wished she stuck around)

... I WISH THIS WERE REAL.

Kyon

Banned
CRYING at the ACCURACY tbh.
Kiiii @ Gwen getting PUNCHED Jesus ChrisT. It's representing her UNDERRATED-ness. Best part about it is Messiah having NOTHING to do with that MESS. She wouldn't EVEN.

ibkJbnJt1N4h9x.gif

royalan

The judges are Madonna, Cher and Tina Turner,

The contestants:

Christina Aguilera (Phi Phi O'Hara, obviously)

ANYONE BUT HER!!! ;_;

I'd like to think Xtina's like season 1's Shannel. Always with an excuse for why SHE should have won the last challenge, and nearly walks off the show due to feeling like her talent isn't appreciated.

And while her drag wasn't consistently on enough to place higher than she did, she had moments that justified her being a serious contender (girl, when she JUGGLED down the runway??? And to this day the only contestant to lose her wig during the lipsync and it not look cheap.)

But Phi Phi? Phi Phi was just angry all the time, and for no reason.

Azealia Banks = Phi Phi

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Rolling Stone's Women Who Rock: The 50 Greatest Albums of All Time

50. Alanis Morissette: Jagged Little Pill
49. The Breeders: Last Splash
48. Bonnie Raitt: Give It Up
47. Lucinda Williams: Car Wheels On A Gravel Road
46. Salt N Peppa: Hot, Cool and Vicious
45. Taylor Swift: Speak Now
44. Siouxsie and the Banshees: Once Upon A Time
43. Lauryn Hill: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
42. Linda Ronstadt: Heart Like a Wheel
41. Cyndi Lauper: She's So Unusual
40. Yoko Ono: Walking on Thin Ice
39. Fiona Apple: Extraordinary Machine
37. Beyonce: 4
36. X-Ray Spex: Germ Free Adolescents
35. The Ronnettes: The Best of the Ronnettes
34. Go-Go's: Beauty and the Beat
33. Irma Thomas: Soul Queen of New Orleans
32. Dolly Parton: Best of Dolly Parton
31. PJ Harvey: Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea
30. Alicia Keys: As I Am
29. M.I.A.: Kala
28. Yeah Yeah Yeahs: It's Blitz!
27. Dionne Warwick: Presenting...
26. Janet Jackson: Rythym Nation
25. Heart: Little Queen
24. Hole: Live Through This
23. Donna Summers: Bad Girls
22. Liz Phair: Exile in Guyville
21. Carole King: Tapestry
20. Etta James: At Last
19. Joan Jett: Bad Reputation
18. Madonna: Like A Prayer
17. Sleater-Kinney: The Hot Rock
16. Labelle: Nightbirds
15. Patsy Cline: The Patsy Cline Collection
14. The Pretenders: The Pretenders
13. Mary J Blige: My Life
12. Janis Joplin: Pearl
11. Lady Gaga: Born This Way
It&#8217;s already hard to remember a world where we didn&#8217;t have Gaga, although we&#8217;re pretty sure it was a lot more boring.

Essential moment: "Edge of Glory," where a born glam-rocker earns her meat-dress bloodstains.
10. Bikini Kill: The Singles
9. The Supremes: Anthology
8. Blondie: Parallel Lines
7. Missy Elliott: Under Construction
6. Adele: 21
5. Patti Smith: Horses
4. Fleetwood Mac: Rumours
3. Dusty Springfield: Dusty in Memphis
2. Joni Mitchell: Blue
1. Aretha Franklin: I Never Loved A Man The Way I Loved You

iiQSH6PrVF9qT.gif

royalan

...that list has Beyonce's 4 and Alicia Keys "As I Am" (which isn't even her best album tbh) placed higher than L-Boogie's R&B STANDARD "Miseducation of Lauryn Hill". So side-eyeing this list.

...get that high placement though, Missy!!!

Bladenic

Not only am I getting slayed HARD by European music at every turn (your faves can't I'm afraid) and hearing Euphoria CONSTANTLY (euphoric indeed), but I got to listen to Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto, Gotye's Mirrors, and... Lana Del Rey's Born to Die on the plane ride. Excuse me I meant to say GODplay (Princess of China and Every Teardrop icant), GODtye (omg so good), and Lana GOD Rey (omg whole album she's coming our faves's careers won't survive tbh). I was especially impressed by Lana since I hadn't heard her stuff at all.

MDNA was also on the selection... LOL

My uncle also tried to play one of the shit singles from MDNA and I nearly vomed. SKIPPED that stuff and smacked him for having that.

Also saw Where Have You Been's video a few times. RihALLAH slaying Europe too, how can Shitty Garbaj even hope to compare tbh

royalan

Not only am I getting slayed HARD by European music at every turn (your faves can't I'm afraid) and hearing Euphoria CONSTANTLY (euphoric indeed), but I got to listen to Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto, Gotye's Mirrors, and... Lana Del Rey's Born to Die on the plane ride. Excuse me I meant to say GODplay (Princess of China and Every Teardrop icant), GODtye (omg so good), and Lana GOD Rey (omg whole album she's coming our faves's careers won't survive tbh). I was especially by Lana since I hadn't heard her stuff at all.

MDNA was also on the selection... LOL

My uncle also tried to play one of the shit singles from MDNA and I nearly vomed. SKIPPED that stuff and smacked him for having that.

Also saw Where Have You Been's video a few times. RihALLAH slaying Europe too, how can Shitty Garbaj even hope to compare tbh

I'm playing Lana at work as I type this, and I'm thinking that I'd really like to hear what a Lana collaboration with a hip hop artists. She has a very urban flow in a lot of her songs. I could totally see her singing the hook on a Kanye song.

SaintZ

I'm playing Lana at work as I type this, and I'm thinking that I'd really like to hear what a Lana collaboration with a hip hop artists. She has a very urban flow in a lot of her songs. I could totally see her singing the hook on a Kanye song.
Well, there's always this. It sounds pretty good IMO.

Trigger

Any list that puts Adele before Missy is probably shit anyway tbh.

Wasn't this what Lana and her people intended with the whole "gangster Nancy Sinatra" stuff? Off to the Races, Radio, Lolita, and a few other tracks have an urban vibe to them in their production. I worry about her mixing with the hip-hop crowd, but musically it would be a natural transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom