• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

She went back to mimicking Gwen? Or is it that old?

That old.

But as for the song...well, glad that it has that classic "The Fame" sound because lyrically it's a repetitive #MESS.

It sounds like something a 16-year-old D student would write on the inner-fold of her Lisa Frank glitter dolphin notebook after getting into a fight with her boyfriend over his car.

Nemesis_

but we never had a full HQ studio version till now

this too much, tbh

RUB THAT GLITTER AND GREASE AROUND GREASE AROUND
ibEFjKIPSnNr3.gif

Oh my fucking god. I never thought this would happen.

oUojZ.gif

It's really just an interlude song though, I never took it too seriously as a full song.

FUSARI be PRESSED about SOMETHING.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Definitely an interlude song and not much more, still, love that synthy sound. Part of why I love 'I Like it Rough' so much.

SaintZ

Kelly Rowland has great songs :D I'm on mobile rn but you should check out :Lay It On Me, Motivation, Commander. Just a few of her singles.
Right? Is she gonna include her Destiny's Child songs or what?
You should check out Motivation *.*
I watched the Motivation video and the song is ok. But I seriously didn't know it existed, heh.
I like it! But again, I liked most of the Gwen-esque songs from The Fame that everybody seems to hate.

I had to take a flight and I've been busy the whole day so I was expecting for either National Anthem or Summertime Sadness to leak by now. Kinda glad I haven't missed the event.
Also: fellow Lana-bots: is this "leaked" demo of "Lucky Ones" a real thing? It just showed up on Twitter about 10 minutes ago and is making the rounds. It sounds better than the album version, frankly.
The vocals sound exactly like the ones in the album version. It just sounds like a remix of that song so who knows. Speaking of demos, I LOVE the Demo Version of Dark Paradise, I have been listening to it non stop (for some reason I just discovered it two days ago lol... too bad is a really short song).

Mumei

My first post here in POP-GAF :) Just wanted to check if anyone here is following Duets? The gulf in quality between Jennifer Nettles and her team is ripping the others apart.

Probably one of my fav ever renditions of My Heart will go on- performed during last week's show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67kOopYHaJI&feature=related

Welcome!

I don't believe anyone here is watching Duets, though. Maybe Crumpet still is; I know he watched the first episode or two.

My first post here in POP-GAF :) Just wanted to check if anyone here is following Duets? The gulf in quality between Jennifer Nettles and her team is ripping the others apart.

Probably one of my fav ever renditions of My Heart will go on- performed during last week's show

Mmhm, Jennifer's got this locked up. I think J Rome got first place in every episode I've seen.

Welcome!

I don't believe anyone here is watching Duets, though. Maybe Crumpet still is; I know he watched the first episode or two.

I mainly just catch Kelly's duets on Youtube now. I am completely burned out after the talent show deluge I was caught in this season. Looking forward to returning to my favorite scripted shows
and The X-Factor
next season!

Mau ®

AwGpNa6CIAA-WIE.jpg

RihALLAH and Jay-Z performing at the BBC Olympics Festival in the UK *.*

Tomorrow RihALLAH headlines it *.*

5. RIHANNA - Where Have You Been: 116.758 (+ 2.530)

Highest update of the day again. Is this what flopping looks like according to you gurls?

Ch...

botty

Banned

Hey, welcome.

I thought Duets was cancelled... guess not.

Well, that performance was better than any charice rendition.

ibkJbnJt1N4h9x.gif

Mau ®

Link TBH

http://i.minus.com/ibkJbnJt1N4h9x.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vAoExlNBRMs"]HERE TBH[/URL]

It's not the song Nem posted tbh. He did try though ;)

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibkJbnJt1N4h9x.gif

Mau ®

5. RIHANNA - Where Have You Been: 119.316 (+ 2.558)

cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif

It keeps slaying with the highest updates all week now!! Where da baboons at??!?!

Majmun

I'm trying to get into Fiona Apple. Have been listening to Tidal and The Idler Wheel, but I just can't get into it. Listened to the albums three times and only a few tracks click with me.

I guess she now belongs in the same category as Bjork. The "I don't get this" -category. Too bad
I8VkT.gif

Nemesis_

I just finished watching this so I thought I would WRITE MY OPINIONS and perhaps KICKSTART SOME DISCUSSION ON OLD SCHOOLish POP

tIEWt.png

BEAUTIFUL POLE DANCING TITS at the beginning, what a STRONG OPENING with Erotica. I'm not gonna lie, it moved quite a bit. *O*

Pwpzt.gif
j7Kkj.gif

Vogue was pretty boring too in this tour, everything was just so blase and had no where near as much impact as what she did on previous shows. Fever was also incredibly underwhelming and she did this absolutely FRIGHTENING shoulder dance move that made me nauseous.

2F9qz.gif

Rain is a really boring song and did nothing for me at all. Express Yourself seemed to be the start of a second act that looked a lot more disco and a lot more kitsch/cheesy than the more EROTIC/SEXY opening. She also seemed a lot NICER this show, the tone of the whole thing seemed to be a lot more happier - people might understand what I mean if you compare her Blond Ambition Express Yourself to The Girlie Show's Express Yourself. Deeper and Deeper was an incredibly GAY and OVER THE TOP performance but I guess it seemed to suit the song but then that OBVIOUS ORGY at the end was also quite hot. It moved AGAIN and then continued on through the rest of the act. It was literally a HOT MESS.

Kqg5d.gif
tOJG4.gif

Some weird DANCE INTERLUDE and then we get some MARLENE DEITRICH inspired LIKE A VIRGIN. I like the way she mixes it up with this song but the middle eastern inspired version she played on Blond Ambition still remains my favourite. BYE BYE BABY - what kind of LIP SYNC.

ihzeMCaejp9oq.gif

La Isla Bonita is not really one of my favourite Madonna songs and the performance here didn't change my opinion at all. The military rendition of Holiday also seemed AWKWARD for such a carefree song >_>

The encore of Justify My Love made me a huge fan of the song though, no idea why, it was just GUD but I was surprised that the performance itself was nowhere near as risque as the video clip - and that seems to be the "thing" Madonna does with her performances in her early days. It was nice to see her wearing Aussie colours at the end. TOO BAD SHE WOULD ABANDON AUSTRALIANS FOR THE NEXT TWENTY YEARS.

kYGrA.gif

Of all the tours I've watched this far, this one has definitely been the sexiest and has definitely MOVED MORE BLOOD than the others but for some reason Madonna looks her UGLIEST. The interludes in particular were much better thought out than Blond Ambition, actually looking like interludes rather than awkward shuffles where Madonna leaves while people keep dancing.

yuKCt.gif

Really weird how the setlist was so short and was missing so many of her "hits" too.

Lucky Star? Material Girl? Dress You Up? Who's That Girl? Papa Don't Preach? Live To Tell? True Blue? Open Your Heart? LIKE A FUCKING PRAYER?, Cherish?

Such a weird tour with a small set list and I see it had very few dates - why is that?

DROWNED WORLD NEXT.

Mau ®

I've never seen any of Madonna's tours prior to Drowned World. Im also not here for Madonna pre-Ray of Light.

Drowned World is a bit of a mess if you ask me. It's good at parts and then bad at others.

You'll soon see Confessions Tour tho *.*

Nemesis_

I've never seen any of Madonna's tours prior to Drowned World. Im also not here for Madonna pre-Ray of Light.

Drowned World is a bit of a mess if you ask me. It's good at parts and then bad at others.

You'll soon see Confessions Tour tho *.*

I have been slowly making my way through them chronologically and it's interesting to see how radically different she appears both visually and put personality wise with every tour and every era, I guess.

The Virgin Tour was quite basic and her first show, whereas Who's That Girl was much more mature and felt a little bit more theatrical. Blond Ambition has a bit of an angry almost bitter feel to it but you can't deny its impact on today's pop acts - while The Girlie Show scales this back quite noticeably and makes Madonna APPEAR to be quite a NICE AND FUN PERSON and dresses up her performance with this kind of kitsch almost parodic feel. But she juxtaposes this with an incredibly sexy opening act that literally got a RESPONSE from me >_>

It's also interesting to see how tours were before the advent of technology and such, things were so different and interludes were literally just people dancing while the star goes backstage to get changed. I am excited to Drowned World because it's quite ahead technologically compared to her first four tours and because it's in fucking widescreen lol. I have heard Drowned World is quite boring from others though.

I am also like you, I didn't really like any pre-Ray of Light Madonna at all but there are some stand out tracks, particularly the "speaking" ones like Erotica and Bedtime Stories and Justify My Love that I do appreciate. But thats half the reason I am looking forward to Drowned World, Reinvention, Sticky and Sweet and especially Confessions because they are the albums that made me a semi fan.

I'm also interested to know why she didn't promote Bedtime Stories with a tour at all, or implement it in her Drowned World tour. I'm sure that could sadden you ITZ =P

I really enjoy doing this especially for an artist as ever changing as Madonna but once I'm done I might see if I can look at some other pop shows too.

So far

Blond Ambition > The Girlie Show > Whos That Girl > The Virgin Tour

Bladenic

RihALLAH slaying Europe with Where Have You Been too, just like America. She's inescapable. RihALLAH WORLD DOMINATION shall continue for years to come tbh.

royalan

I was #SLAYED before I got to the first chorus.

If anyone needed proof that Wynter could be more than good-but-forgettable dance pop (and yeah, LOTS of people did), this is proof.

It's like if Sade and Leona Lewis got together, had a baby, and had it baptized by Portishead-esque trip hop. This sounds absolutely unlike anything on radio today - retro-but-fresh and not sounding at all dated. The chorus is especially mesmerizing. If she can capture this sound over an entire album (and get better people), Wynter could have something great on her hands.

Between this and Azealia Banks' "Liquorice" I'm really loving this trend of incorporating heavy 90s influences into modern pop.

According to Billboard:

• Gordon is prepping a self-released collection of four free EPs called "The Human Condition" - the first of which, "Doleo" (Latin for "pain") is out July 9.

• "Doleo"'s lead single "Stimela" was inspired by Hugh Masekala's anti-apartheid song of the same name and features a chorus sung in Zulu and African-pop production reminiscent of early-80s Genesis and solo Phil Collins.

• Elsewhere, Gordon explores rock, trip-hop and what she calls "down-south hip hop and Celtic, classical music" that delves into deeper thematic material than the bubbly dance cuts for which she's best known.

2283659-wynter-gordon-human-condition-ep-412.jpg

How exciting
ibgGsvQNtl58gr.gif

P.S. You can download Stimela for free at her Soundcloud.

royalan

I always get nervous when acts go the Free EP route (*cough* lookin' at you Teairra Mari*cough*). It could be a sign of greater things to come, but more often it's a sign of #THEEND.

She better be prepared to tour like crazy and whore herself out to whatever media source will have her, because all that studio time (for FOUR EPS??) ain't gonna pay for itself.

I *think* - though I certainly could be wrong - that it's more about positioning than it is a sign of something amiss (or something a#mess). After struggling for years to have a mainstream hit, I think her people want her to have word-of-mouth hype, and free EPs are a good way to get attention on all the music blogs.

There are obviously people at the label who believe she could be the Next Big Thing. Hopefully they're right and she strikes gold this time...

Bladenic

Wynter Gordon still exists? Pretty sure she should stop, nobody will ever know her outside of Sugar.

Meanwhile Rihanna continues to slay the world dead. Your faves, when? How? Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom