• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyon

Banned
Well the worldwide tour that made her the biggest earner in 2011 showed the dedicated masses around the world, and I can confirm that not only was the show great, her fans are loud and many also in this non-English-as-first-language country. Not so much single top 3s, though, but album-wise yes.

Britney was last year's highest earner(female musician i mean) and #4. Idk what you mean. Or you mean tour gross?
I know T-Swift is huge in the Netherlends tho

Artemisia

Banned
I'm actually curious as to what you didn't like about it. Did you listen to The Family Jewels at all?

Also you're welcome, KOG ;) ~hugz~

The first time I listened to it, I didn't quite enjoy it that much. But then I figured that I just had to listen more often to get more familiar with the tracks so I could properly jam to them etc. I had to do the same with Ceremonials and 4.

After listening multiple times I still wasn't feeling it. Many of the tracks were just missing something. Either the chorus was weak (Primadonna, Radioactive), I didn't like the beat, it was repetitive (Homewrecker, Living Dead), or just plain awful (Hypocrates).

But the album does have some great tracks. Starring Role is the fucking best and so is Lies. Power and Control is excellent too.

Majmun

Not here for the Mehrina circle jerk

meCvN.gif

Sai-kun

Banned
The first time I listened to it, I didn't quite enjoy it that much. But then I figured that I just had to listen more often to get more familiar with the tracks so I could properly jam to them etc. I had to do the same with Ceremonials and 4.

After listening multiple times I still wasn't feeling it. Many of the tracks were just missing something. Either the chorus was weak (Primadonna, Radioactive), I didn't like the beat, it was repetitive (Homewrecker, Living Dead), or just plain awful (Hypocrates).

But the album does have some great tracks. Starring Role is the fucking best and so is Lies. Power and Control is excellent too.

I think we can all agree that Hypocrates is terrible.

emot-colbert.gif

Very interesting opinions you have though ;) I'm glad you at least gave it a shot instead of dismissing it just because you didn't like one thing. I can deal with that! Lies is literally amazing, even from just a production standpoint. It's amazing.

Not here for the Mehrina circle jerk

meCvN.gif

Not here for the shitposting

wFhEY.png

lmao xoxo

Kyon

Banned

Oh US not WW lol cause WW is what I meant with Britney. But anyways I loved TSwifts first album and I bought two copies haha. That's the time Perra debuted. Our Song>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I see you all ignoring Ellie from the last page.

Not amused.
She's used to being ignored by the PLANET her whole life hun.

Artemisia

Banned
Oops! I've actually had it on repeat for a little while.

Tinie Tempah really kills the track unfortunately. I am a hardcore Ellie stan tho, so I am still very ready and very excited for LP2.

Truth. He's so awful and unnecessary.

And if this darker production is indicative of the rest of the album then I am VERY EXCITED.

Sai-kun

Banned
Truth. He's so awful and unnecessary.

And if this darker production is indicative of the rest of the album then I am VERY EXCITED.

I am very ready for it. I don't mind her folk-y pop but she has an amazing voice for a more electronic sound. See: Summit (feat. Ellie) by Skrillex.

G-Fex

Favorite track? (aside from, I'm guessing, Bubblegum Bitch)

Homewrecker, and of course Primadonna ;)

So many good songs though, teen idle, Valley of the dolls, power and control, state of dreaming,how to be a heartbreaker.

Mwa-ha the whole thing is just delicious!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
MIA shade earlier...ch... Not here for that. Kala and Arular slay your faves and you will deal.

|\/|/\Y/\ tho...
ikXOi4ww3zHNU.gif

header.png

iRWmvn1GoolB0.gif
iRWmvn1GoolB0.gif

Ties

Banned
Homewrecker, and of course Primadonna ;)

So many good songs though, teen idle, Valley of the dolls, power and control, state of dreaming,how to be a heartbreaker.

Mwa-ha the whole thing is just delicious!
Yaaaaaaaas.

Good to see Marina touch so many hearts.

Sai-kun

Banned
I might check out Marina but it's been getting such bad writeups. We're talking 'competition for Xtina'.

Bad like this 'review'?

Clash Music said:
One of the later additions to the U k’s current-ish wave of ‘credible’ female pop-stars, Marina rocked up in early 2010 with her debut album ‘The Family Jewels’. And of course, we all knew it wouldn’t be long until one of them slipped up, whether it be La Roux or Little Boots or whoever else is bothering the dizzy heights of thirty these days; a femme-fatality. ‘Electra heart’ is an ingloriously languid statement of Marina’s demise, the final stamp of disapproval on her flailing excuse of a musical career. There is actually a song called ‘Bubblegum Bitch’ on this album. ’nuff said.

Fucking joke of a review that actually counted in Electra Heart's Metacritic rating. Makes me sick.

For what it's worth, it's got a 7.3 user rating, which I think is a lot more accurate. Also, if you check out the OP of the Marina thread, all the songs have youtube links, so you can give it a listen and then decide if you'd like to purchase it (or whatever). Electra Heart is by no means the Greatest Album Of All Time (and not even as good as her first album, The Family Jewels), but it's a hell of a record and I think everyone could probably find a track/sound that they like off of it instead of just dismissing it because mariah_don't_know_her.gif.

I'm going out tonight for my birthday (23! Woo) and as far as I know Marius will probably be at the same place, so I told him that I was gonna get a picture of us and show POP-Gaf. Worlds will be COLLIDING. This club tends to play a fuckton of Born This Way songs so I have a feel we'll have a good night.

P.S. Marius, I'll be in the red Dr. Pepper shirt. xoxoxo

Sai-kun

Banned
Can't tell if that's La Roux shade or LB/Marina shade...

Ellie, La Roux, Little Boots, and Marina are the ultimate group of Pop Princesses. None can match them.

It's really excellent... but nothing is as good as Stimela thus far. Easily her best stuff yet.

And it's good that they're .wav files! Lossless audio is the lifeblood of DJs and audiophiles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom