• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told myself to stop posting so much about Kelly Clarkson, but OMG SHE COVERED SHANIA TWAIN TONIGHT <3333

My inner grade-schooler is freaking out.

Good music by association: Neon Gold, who put out some of the early Marina singles (along with ones from Ellie Goulding, Passion Pit, and Gotye) just released the first EP from St. Lucia this week. Super shimmery baleric pop that's perfect for the upcoming warmer weather. I loved "The Old House Is Gone" last summer, and these new tracks are even better. Stream it on Soundcloud.

And cross-posting from the electronic music thread: Oh Land, "White Nights" (Skeet Skeet mix) Digging the hell outta this one.
Quoting for new page, love all this!

SpiffyG

Oh my godddd I'm so hyped. The studio version seems even better than the live one!

unce unce unce unce
I want the full version already. The video looks like a cross between Oh No! and Hollywood. Which is exactly what I thought it would look like. I've watched it way too many times. Soooooo excited! First radio play is on Monday so hopefully we won't have to wait long!!

SpiffyG

I might indulge with you two in this hype.

Someone give me my first Marina gif.
Yay!! All aboard! Here ya go,

ibVZ55byarnnb.gif

edit: I'll give you some options. Maybe one of these will strike your fancy.

iGjx3fnFkxEfP.gif

ibvIvc4yoKdd8Z.gif

ibkFy2CtI3nhI6.gif

iLYZy50YogLtG.gif

iVrQZkcISG4z4.gif

ib1BMAQuIEzorA.gif

ieJcnrQUxykTa.gif

i0nNZJSwTAZaM.gif

So much awesome imagery in just the teaser. I can't fucking wait!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Lana Del Rey is giving a free show down the street from my apartment tomorrow afternoon. If I weren't working all day, I'd probably go check out the dead-eyed puppet in person... at the very least, there are likely to be lots of cute semi-hipster boys there.

Lana Del Rey is giving a free show down the street from my apartment tomorrow afternoon. If I weren't working all day, I'd probably go check out the dead-eyed puppet in person... at the very least, there are likely to be lots of cute semi-hipster boys there.

People still go to concerts to listen to music?

q6jdw.gif

Sai-kun

Banned
Leaving for NYC in 5 hours to see Morningwood's final show on Sunday! I'm really excited cuz I've never seen them before, but really sad cuz I'll never see them again. I post some of the leader singer's solo stuff later though :) She's got a great sound.

Bladenic

Actually I meant going back to people fighting back and forth lol. Although I just now discovered this topic and read through it, so I didn't really pay attention to how much activity was going on before. All I know is that I was cracking up a few times, especially at the nicknames you all give to your favorite singers and that battle between the Madonna and Janet Jackson fan.

Icicle

Don't worry, Chris, Janet will respond in due time. Those mega-posts take a lot of time, and I'm in my last week of classes. I haven't been able to return fire yet.

If enough people demand a response, I might just get my act together and deliver the shade/gifs/drama this weekend. It's gonna be a double post, so look forward to it!

cdpZs.gif

Edit: Realizes this is possible announcement of announcement, :lol

Icicle
(Today, 04:51 AM)

tumblr_m0o99t6SM71qljse3o1_500.gif

Don't worry, Chris, Janet will respond in due time. Those mega-posts take a lot of time, and I'm in my last week of classes. I haven't been able to return fire yet.

If enough people demand a response, I might just get my act together and deliver the shade/gifs/drama this weekend. It's gonna be a double post, so look forward to it!

cdpZs.gif

Edit: Realizes this is possible announcement of announcement, :lol

tumblr_lzeopfLMMp1qd6q0t.gif

Mau ®

Rumor has it the future Queen of Pop Rihanna has recorded a duet with The Wanted.

1D's caruurrr
rih3.gif

I hope Rihanna fucks Jay and there's a sex tape involved. Imma go cray cray
2.gif

Delio

One Direction will be the musical guests on SNL April 7th! Sofia Vergara will be the host.

Their album Up All Night debuts in North American on March 13th. Get ready ya'll.

ZGgLh.gif

I knew there was a rumor that they would be on SNL. Thanks to Niall slipping it out anyways. Have you preorder the Yearbook edition of the CD?

Rumor has it the future Queen of Pop Rihanna has recorded a duet with The Wanted.

1D's caruurrr
rih3.gif

I hope Rihanna fucks Jay and there's a sex tape involved. Imma go cray cray
2.gif

Wow my pop kings are getting around. So proud of them.

Sai-kun

Banned
I don't know if it was for something else, but I saw a cute boy on the street today wearing a hoodie that said "One Direction" on it. I was like "hey i think i know them"

SXSW Festival! Time to find some "up-and-coming" pop acts to lay claim to and stan for. I've looked at the pop music lineup and here are some descriptions that stood out to me:

Charli XCX- "If you don't know Charli XCX yet, give it five minutes. The teenage prodigy's about to explode into 2012. Armed with a rampant imagination, a plethora of dark, emotive pop songs, and backed by a growing army of top producers and worldwide fans, Charli is not like your run-of-the-mill musician."

DWNTWN- &#8220;We're kind of a folk band, but we just happen to make electronic music. We listen to a lot of Johnny Cash, but we also love bands like Crystal Castles."

Friends- "Sensual, provocatively percussive pop comes naturally to Friends. But you may be surprised by &#8220;I&#8217;m His Girl&#8221; &#8211; the second single from the Brooklyn newcomers &#8211; and just how cool and pop it is. As rapturous as Blondie&#8217;s best, and as stylish as Neneh Cherry&#8217;s tip-top pop gem &#8220;Buffalo Stance,&#8221; it&#8217;s the finest fusion of lo-fi indie cool and soulful urban textures of 2011."

Graffiti6-"Colours, the debut album from Britain&#8217;s Graffiti6, is as vividly vibrant as both the project&#8217;s moniker and its album title suggest: an uncategorizable mélange of pop, psychedelia, R&B, and British Northern Soul that fully capitalizes on the soaring uplift of Jamie Scott&#8217;s emotionally transparent voice and gift for melody and TommyD&#8217;s irresistible rhythms and inventive production."

Kimbra- "Maybe you know her independent hit singles Cameo Lover and Settle Down, which won her 1st place in the Pop Category of International Song writing Competition;
or you&#8217;re one of the 3,000,000+ total views of her stylish videos on YouTube."

Princeton- "Princeton is a minimalist pop band from Los Angeles, California. After the release of their debut album on Kanine Records, they toured with Sleigh Bells, Phoenix, Camera Obscura, White Rabbits, CSS, Ra Ra Riot, among others."

SPEAK- "Always striving for original, innovative melodies SPEAK garnered noteworthy attention with their 2010 debut EP, Hear Here and received overwhelming industry praise. Austin Chronicle asserted they are 'poised to change the musical landscape' and gave the quartet 4 stars, the publication&#8217;s highest rating, while The A.V. Club declared it 'smooth electronic seduction, spiked with a little venom.'"

ZZ Ward- "Where dirty blues and beats collide: Meet ZZ Ward, a singer/songwriter whose artistry spins on a luminous axis of voice and soul."

SpiffyG

I fucking love Charli XCX and I like Princeton and Kimbra. The rest I haven't heard just yet. I'll watch their vids when I'm not on a shitty connection.

Oh, and Primadonna is premiering at 12PM GMT on March 12th on BBC Radio 1. That's 5am where I live. And the video will follow a few hours later.

Bladenic

So can we talk about some Euro Pop and even latin pop? I gotta rep Alexandra Stan (<-- lol) since she's from my home country and both Mr. Saxobeat and Get Back (ASAP) were banging songs. Also, she's so sexy.

Get Back - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgeODQbcTjo

Mr. Saxobeat - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAhHNCfA7NI&feature=related

And I never seen anyone talk about Shakira, but can we all agree that she's godly? And dayum shake them hips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3-GiVIE8gc&ob=av2e

And RBD is such a guilty pleasure.

Besame sin miedo - http://youtu.be/0uTeLakTVaw

Nuestro Amor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbS5ybo3i7k&feature=related

Rebelde - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOEFbXU_Oq0

Btw Anahi > Maite > Dulce Maria

Cute song. And while I sometimes dislike her voice in other songs, it works very well here.

Not really liking how they're already giving her this "trash-classy 50s girl persona" though.

Sai-kun

Banned
Not really liking how they're already giving her this "trash-classy 50s girl persona" though.

Just to clarify, I'm like 99% sure that 100% of the imagery and stuff is her idea. Don't ask me why she chose it, but yeah.

I really like that still of her around 1:55, covering her hand with her face. She is just too damn pretty. I also really like the song, but I wish it was a little more Marina. I can't really explain it, but it just ain't The Family Jewels. I suppose that's sort of the point, but :(

SpiffyG

Cute song. And while I sometimes dislike her voice in other songs, it works very well here.

Yes, that was all her idea. For better or worse. haha. If you haven't seen The Archetypes yet, it's a good place to start. She kinda explains what she's doing in a pretty cryptic way. lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww8lYVerLo4

Just to clarify, I'm like 99% sure that 100% of the imagery and stuff is her idea. Don't ask me why she chose it, but yeah.

I really like that still of her around 1:55, covering her hand with her face. She is just too damn pretty. I also really like the song, but I wish it was a little more Marina. I can't really explain it, but it just ain't The Family Jewels. I suppose that's sort of the point, but :(
Well, she is exploring the American Dream (again) in Electra Heart, so that explains why she's dressed in iconic American styles.

She would get nowhere by releasing The Family Jewels Part 2, so she's doing something very different. Although, this might be more different than some of the other stuff on the album since Dr. Luke was involved in the making of this song. I still think it sounds like a natural progression. She toned down the vocal acrobatics (which turned most people off to her music), simplified the lyrics a bit (at least on this song), but at the same time there's humor and she's not taking herself too seriously.

While I was watching this video I couldn't stop laughing at her in that curly up-do because at least I think it was supposed to be a spoof. The whole thing is a spoof. Electra Heart looks like it's turning out to be a giant spoof of pop-stars and fame. Hopefully I'm explaining it correctly.

edit: Also,

tumblr_m0s8opBdI51qjvv7qo1_r1_500.gif

boobs

edit 2: Is this the scene you are referring to?

tumblr_m0s8zkT34o1qlp45ro1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom