• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rihdonna invented modern pop music. She is a lyrical genius and talented dancer. Her shows, sales, appearance and personality slay your faves into the 9th layer of hell.

Sai-kun

Banned
Stanning for a lesser-known here.

Little Boots has some new stuff coming out, the first of which is Every Night I Say A Prayer, which is gonna be out on April 23rd.

The Tensnake remix is already out, though, and can be heard and downloaded: >Here<

I really like it. I like the direction LB is going in. Definitely more dancey than some of the stuff off her first album, Hands.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Stanning for a lesser-known here.

Little Boots has some new stuff coming out, the first of which is Every Night I Say A Prayer, which is gonna be out on April 23rd.

The Tensnake remix is already out, though, and can be heard and downloaded: >Here<

I really like it. I like the direction LB is going in. Definitely more dancey than some of the stuff off her first album, Hands.

MAYBE OBVIOUS question but did you hear the demo version of stuck on repeat? it was about infinity times better than anything on the final album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwCRduFEMI0

Poor brave Nicki

I wonder where she is

PGn7rVpnbq2ulek57PIvv0uQo1_400.jpg

Kyon

Banned
She called her Barbz too ratchet on twitter?
rih1.jpg

fucking mess. she tweets just like them too. Not here for that.

How you gonna shade your stans aka the ones that brought your ass outta poverty and bankruptcys? and worst of all irrelevance? SMH
rih17.gif

She's falling hard i just cant help but laugh, all the blogs hate her and want her to erase herself from the industry. Just..............

ibeuzhE12layTe.gif

royalan

First she mooches off of Lil' Kim's leftover swag. Then Gaga. Now she's trying to copy Britney and Mariah???

You haven't earned a public breakdown yet, Hunty...

That said, I do hope she's alright...

Mumei

First she mooches off of Lil' Kim's leftover swag. Then Gaga. Now she's trying to copy Britney and Mariah???

You haven't earned a public breakdown yet, Hunty...

That said, I do hope she's alright...

'Twas my first thought. It did seem rather early in her career for this stage.

And yes, hopefully she is alright.
And hopefully she never returns to music.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
so how many of us know about

Rachelcomeandgetit.jpg

because it's surprisingly amazing

"Bold, swaggering and accomplished...Quite simply, it's the pop album of the year [...] Come and Get It is quite simply a pop tour-de-force that deserves to sell a billion copies. Please, don't let this end up as a forgotten classic."
BBC Music

This utterly mediocre performance (in terms of its genre, at least) is astonishing when you consider that the album was masterminded by the finest songwriters and producers in the game...but its failure becomes utterly mind-boggling when you actually listen to the thing."
Allmusic

The Guardian placed it in their article "1000 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die" list.

all real quotes

Kyon

Banned
Sclub is already making a comeback this year to slay all our faves and show them how its done

8lhp6.gif

EDIT: arent you like 7 years late sis? lol that albums old

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
babe it's not a new album

it's her old album

i am just clueing people in because only about three people bought it

DMeisterJ

Banned
I can't wait for WHYB to smash.

Rih hasn't had a summer smash since Take a Bow/Disturbia did it in 08. I need this to happen so I'm not bored while driving.

Rih hasn't had a summer smash since Take a Bow/Disturbia did it in 08. I need this to happen so I'm not bored while driving.

EVERY song the QUEEN RIH releases is a summer smash.

She's such a talented and versatile artist... I can't...
iCVvlibFCUmMq.gif

Mau ®

Dull and predictable. But that's essentially your m.o. I cannot fault your for being stale tbh. You cannot help it
rih17.gif

Yes! Cheers would've smashed during summer if they had not released the snoozefest that was California King...

Koodo

Banned
I woke up today with a glow unseen since I came out of my Mother's womb.

A new chapter in my life has been RIHVEALED, and I have been RIHBORN. I simply cannot wait for my ears to be caressed with HER SUMMER SYMPHONY as I travel in HER GLORY.

A new chapter in my life has been RIHVEALED, and I have been RIHBORN. I simply cannot wait for my ears to be caressed with HER SUMMER SYMPHONY as I travel in HER GLORY.

Sis, this new RIHVELATION has RIHINVIGORATED my BODY, RIHVITALISED my MIND and RIHDEEMED my SOUL.

I hope when I die that I am RIHBORN in HER IMAGE.

G-Fex

I am not convinced of the Rihanna goodness.

I lost faith in her.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
The Huffington Post spilling the true tea

"Indie Pop": Indie Rock's Pop Culture Moment
"Indie Rock is about to have a big Pop Culture moment," I told a friend recently. The minute the words came out of my mouth, I of course realized how utterly ridiculous that sentence sounds. Inherent in the word "indie" is something that exists completely outside, or independent of, the mainstream. Nevertheless, there seems to be no denying that after a half decade where American Top 40 radio has been exclusively dominated by the electronic dance music and house-influenced sounds of Lady GaGa, Rihanna, RedOne and their ilk, the continued mainstream success of artists like Foster the People, Gotye, Fun., and their peers suggest that we may be on the precipice of a broader willingness to embrace more varied and eccentric music, the music we used to think of as exclusively "indie."

The seeds of this change in tastes is no clearer than in the career of our superstar du jour, Adele. Adele released her debut album 19 in 2008 to rapturous acclaim. 19 had a number of hit songs worldwide including the global smash "Chasing Pavements," which went to number 1 in the UK and even yielded her a best new artist Grammy. However, none of these accolades helped her music break through in the highly codified and deeply controlled world of American radio, leaving Adele and her music squarely in the "indie" category of the American music scene circa 2008-9. Two years later, Adele released her follow up, 21, which while clearly building and expanding on the retro, soulful vibe of 19, was certainly not a massive overhaul of her sound by any stretch of the imagination. As we all now know, 21 has gone on to yield three number number one singles on US top 40, a trunk full of awards and has gone to be the highest-selling album in America since 2004. Indeed, Adele's music may fit more easily into what Americans have traditionally considered as "indie," but it is also more popular than much of what we more clearly associate with being "pop" in 2012.

This trend toward "indie"-ness, or embracing fringe culture, is somewhat fitting for our time. Oddly enough, one of the most unabashedly mainstream artists working today, Lady GaGa, seems to have spearheaded this movement towards accepting and even elevating those who had historically been considered outsiders. Her message to her young fan base that being "different" is the new "cool" has played a huge role in legitimizing and popularizing "indie"-ness: While GaGa's music is by no means "indie," her mantra "You were born this way!" tells her massive young fan base that trying to fit into any preconceived box of "coolness", or mainstream-ness if you will, should never take precedence over being yourself. In other words, she has helped make it cool to be uncool. Of course, with GaGa this sentiment is reflected far more in her message and her visuals than in her actual music.

So what does this mean for Indie Rock's future tango with Top 40 radio and Pop Culture at large? Of course, the meaning of "Pop Music," and indeed "indie" music as well for that matter, has always been malleable by definition, and what we think of as a marginal genre can quite suddenly take its place as the defining element in Popular Music. It happened with hip hop and grunge rock 20 years ago, with house and electronica in the past few years and it appears to be happening again with the contemporary indie rock scene. It's increasing popularity, however, seems only fitting in a time where our culture is trending towards a widespread embracing of individual differences in new ways. Legalizing and embracing gay marriage and campaigning to end bullying in high schools are just a few examples of how the new "cool" in American culture seems to be enfranchising what had previously been viewed as fringe cultures. It seems only fitting, then, that the soundtrack to this time period should be music that was itself once viewed as fringe culture. In any case, it's nice to see Americans flocking to a definitively quirky and subtle tune like "Somebody That I Used To Know" over, say, the latest Pitbull/RedOne Collaboration. And that is something that even the most die-hard indie rock fan can, oddly enough, thank Lady GaGa for.

where is the lie?
ibq99hIp27rzcw.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom