• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

She's a simple country girl whom speaks of first loves. Dull? Nah, just her speaking from the heart.

Nemesis is innocent in a non country way

You could have stopped at "Simple."

ilT4TiSw2IAdG.jpg

G-Fex

It's not always about being number one!, it's about dueling with innocence, broken hearts, and first times at love. And most importantly putting the needs of others ahead of your own. And that's something T-Swift has done,every single song of her life.

tAztal.jpg

Peru

I don't know how much time I've spent discussing with idiots who believe that chart to be whole truth, who don't listen to her actual music or know what the fuck they're talking about when misquoting Taylor, and are forcing beliefs on her which she's never stood for nor can be found in her music. This is a girl who sang about sex in her first frikking single, and has done so several times since, whose whole Fearless campaign including 'Love Story' was about how the naivety of the 'princes and fairytales' comes crashing down when you reach adulthood (see Love Story's coupling song White Horse) - NOT about how cute princesses are.

"Innocence" has never once been part of her music or image. It's an invention from anti-feminist*, sexist idiots who are threatened by someone who claims to be strong and independent and actually is so , actually was thoroughly involved in every aspect of her career from the start and increasingly so for every year since, who has complete creative and financial control, who should be hailed as a fucking feminist icon nevermind the best pop songwriter of the last five years.

(* You know sometimes I like jezebel and find it to be an important place but there's a very ugly truth about a lot of otherwise intelligent writers, feminist and otherwise, and that is that when it comes to pop music and pop artists, especially females, you seemingly don't have to know what you're talking about to talk about it in judgemental and absolutist terms. Fuck off)

Bladenic

I'd hardly say that I'm a Ke$ha stan since Kelly is my fave probably.

And did someone mention Shania? Are we ever gonna get a new album from her?

Peru

100% accurate? I'm talking about people going off about her defining characteristics.

I don't care if people hate her music. It's when they misrepresent her basic ideology and image with lies and bigotry I flip, and I feel nauseated thinking about the number of times I've written the same basic paragraphs. It's about more than music, it's politics.

I'm definitely ready to go through her songs and lyrics line by line to talk about how much I love her way with words, how great and unique her perspective on youth is and otherwise why she's great musically, though, but haters usually don't go there.

Peru

They can be as harsh as they want, but that idiot above exemplifies my point: Here's an artist and businesswoman who is, in practical, real-life terms, stronger than any other pop artist. Complete control, as said, over both her creative output, her tours, the design of her stages, administrative business decisions (as portrayed in several candid pieces in the New Yorker etc.) and so on.. Someone who does what she wants on her terms, basically, and STILL people say that "she's the innocent princess" or "a little girl" or I dunno, thinking she needs to be protected from bullying). And the reason? Because of curly blond hair, flowery dresses, glossy album covers, whatever. Outdated perceptions of social roles, gender roles, ideas of femininity.

She's a great singer, btw. It's not all about belting. She owns those stories. I've seen her live and not a note was off. Youtube lives confirm it. Getting better at award shows as well last year, don't know exactly what threw her off there before.

Nemesis_

I do think her timbre is much more grating than Taylor's...

I really hate to say anything bad about Taylor Swift.

I hate her, but I have never seen her do anything offensive as a person. Rihanna is offensive to all five senses, I can safely insult her with no guilt.

G-Fex

They can be as harsh as they want, but that idiot above exemplifies my point: Here's an artist and businesswoman who is, in practical, real-life terms, stronger than any other pop artist. Complete control, as said, over both her creative output, her tours, the design of her stages, administrative business decisions (as portrayed in several candid pieces in the New Yorker etc.) and so on.. Someone who does what she wants on her terms, basically, and STILL people say that "she's the innocent princess" or "a little girl" or I dunno, thinking she needs to be protected from bullying). And the reason? Because of curly blond hair, flowery dresses, glossy album covers, whatever. Outdated perceptions of social roles, gender roles, ideas of femininity.

She's a great singer, btw. It's not all about belting. She owns those stories. I've seen her live and not a note was off. Youtube lives confirm it. Getting better at award shows as well last year, don't know exactly what threw her off there before.

She's really pretty too <3

Peru

I'm a masochist for participating in so many pop communities where the only quality other than 'fierce' is 'basic', but I'm not going to stop overreacting on this subject. I plan to not spend more time ranting tonight, tho, so let's move onto something everyone agrees on. Like I dunno.. Scatman John.

hqdefault.jpg

Mumei

I really hate to say anything bad about Taylor Swift.

I hate her, but I have never seen her do anything offensive as a person. Rihanna is offensive to all five senses, I can safely insult her with no guilt.

Oh, I agree that Rihanna is so much more offensive. But Taylor Swift offends my ears, and that's still important.

iO3tx8XPGzNoI.gif

I've never heard her not sound wretched, and I'm not just talking about belts.

Mumei

It's not like that's some one-off opinion, just read the professional reviews of her shows. Or watch the youtubes or whatever http://youtu.be/cvhnQkEldAA

I sort of wish you had included a link to a professional review (though I am skeptical about professional reviewers' opinions about singing).

And I'll actually admit that that was not as bad as some of the stuff I've heard of hers. But it wasn't great, and it wasn't even good. She sounded breathy and she had awful projection and resonance (and don't tell me it's not all about belting; you should have good projection and resonance on non-belted parts, too). She sounds like an amateur who has a decent sound to her voice but isn't technically gifted. She sounds like the "naive" sound here.

Peru

And I'll actually admit that that was not as bad as some of the stuff I've heard of hers. But it wasn't great, and it wasn't even good. She sounded breathy and she had awful projection and resonance (and don't tell me it's not all about belting; you should have good projection and resonance on non-belted parts, too). She sounds like an amateur who has a decent sound to her voice but isn't technically gifted. She sounds like the "naive" sound here.

I just linked the latest lives I'd watched, but that vocal trainer checklist isn't really relevant here. Has nothing to do with what I consider good singing -- emotion, personality, expressiveness. I've never claimed she's technically the strongest singer, but she sings her own songs and is the only person who could do that. And she's on point live, with the exception of some TV mishaps. That's my point.

Mumei

I just linked the latest lives I'd watched, but that vocal trainer checklist isn't really relevant here. Has nothing to do with what I consider good singing -- emotion, character, personality. I've never claimed she's technically the strongest singer, but she sings her own songs and is the only person who could do that. And she's on point live, with the exception of some TV mishaps. That's my point.

And that's all I was talking about.

I think that a singer who gets the, er, vocal trainer checklist and sings with emotion, character, and personality is better than the singer who only has emotion, character, and personality (or in the remix version of your post, emotion, personality, and expressiveness), and if I had to pick just one, I'd pick the former since while I can appreciate great technical singing that I don't connect with emotionally, I can't appreciate "emotionally perfect" singing that is mediocre technically.

I actually like her. The Mariah stans on the other hand...

is1fVyhl6Y69h.gif

Peru

while I can appreciate great technical singing that I don't connect with emotionally, I can't appreciate "emotionally perfect" singing that is mediocre technically

That's crazy to me. Means you've excluded at least 50% of the great classics of pop and rock and roll of the past 70 years.

I mean, I love Mariah at her peak for all the impressive gymnastics she can pull off, but that's one type of music.

Mumei

That's crazy to me. Means you've excluded at least 50% of the great classics of pop and rock and roll of the past 70 years.

Eh.

Well, I scale my expectations somewhat. The thing is, I find nothing more irritating to listen to than weak, unsupported, breathy singing. It is like a limp handshake to me. So decent breath support throughout (and particularly the verses), a base level of resonance and projection; those are the things that are most important to me. Of secondary importance to me is pitch; I'd like it to be mostly good, but since my pitch isn't perfect, I don't mind if there's mistakes on occasion since I have a history of not hearing bad pitch stuff on first listen unless it was happening throughout the performance (See: Cavanagh, Hollie). So I'm not saying I expect operatic vocals out of pop singers; I listen to opera for operatic vocals. And if I am listening to something that isn't really about the vocals and is driven more by the melody or beat, I usually just try to ignore the voice unless it is Rihanna egregiously bad.

And I get appreciating singers primarily for their emotion, character, or expressiveness; it actually is a large part of why I like Whitney and Mariah and in particular Dusty so much; they just also happen to be spectacularly good technical singers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom