• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
madgegrammy.jpg

She looks scary here.

It certainly wasn't a good look

1747610_orig.jpg

I mean, I love Mariah at her peak for all the impressive gymnastics she can pull off, but that's one type of music.
The best thing about Mariah IMO is that her vocal gymnastics are never just a show - at every turn, they enhance the emotion and meaning behind what she was singing.

I didn't fall in love with Mariah because she could reach those lofty notes - I fell in love with her because she knew exactly what note she had to hit to convey the appropriate feeling and had the technical and natural gifts to reach those notes, whether it was sky-high or crazy low.

It's what separates her from her 90s show off-y contemporaries, from the technically proficient but emotionally bereft lessors like Shanice or Chante Moore.

iUydNtbdOz1ku.gif

royalan

Wow, this page is drowning in spilledt tea.

Although, I do have to say I agree with The Mariah Stan.

I think Taylor Swift is dull, uninspired, and hinges her likability on girls' desire to be Pretty Pretty Princesses to such a degree that it's frankly becoming embarrassing the older she gets. I mean, go into a crowded room and yell out "Taylor Swift is in her 20s!" and see what happens.

We don't even have to get started on her vocals.

And if I have to sit through her "GEE GOLLY SHUCKS O-FACE YOU GUYS REALLY LIKE ME!?" routine (because that's what it is, a routine) one more freakin time after all the times she's gone platinum at this point...

My dislike in a nutshell: Taylor Swift embraces Tiny Tim Syndrome.

The thing about Mariah IMO is that her vocal gymnastics are never just a show - at every turn, they enhanced the emotion and meaning behind what she was singing. It's what separates her 90s show off-y contemporaries, from the technically proficient but emotionally bereft lessors like Shanice or Chante Moore.

Whew! Now there's two names I haven't heard in a while...

But "Chante's Got A Man" was my shiiiiiiiit...

Peru

I think Taylor Swift is dull, uninspired, and hinges her likability on girls' desire to be Pretty Pretty Princesses to such a degree that it's frankly becoming embarrassing the older she gets. I mean, go into a crowded room and yell out "Taylor Swift is in her 20s!" and see what happens.

And if I have to sit through her "GEE GOLLY SHUCKS O-FACE YOU GUYS REALLY LIKE ME!?" routine (because that's what it is, a routine) one more freakin time after all the times she's gone platinum at this point...

You're objectively wrong and offensive, read my posts again.

Koodo

Banned
Every bitch has its day. She blew her wad early. What's left for ADELLE now?
In 2012?

Outselling your fave. Punching down the Immaculate Collection. Joining Mariah, Celine and Shania as the only women with a studio album that sold over 30 million copies.

No wonder Mad-onna is desperate to work with her, but ADELE has no time for charity. She only stans for Kleptoncé anyway.

Mumei

The best thing about Mariah IMO is that her vocal gymnastics are never just a show - at every turn, they enhance the emotion and meaning behind what she was singing.

I didn't fall in love with Mariah because she could reach those lofty notes - I fell in love with her because she knew exactly what note she had to hit to convey the appropriate feeling and had the technical and natural gifts to reach those notes, whether it was sky-high or crazy low.

It's what separates her 90s show off-y contemporaries, from the technically proficient but emotionally bereft lessors like Shanice or Chante Moore.

iUydNtbdOz1ku.gif

Agreed. But you do Shanice too much kindness by calling her "technically proficient"; I think she's a step below that.

Wow, this page is drowning in spilledt tea.

Although, I do have to say I agree with The Mariah Stan.

Those things sum up the things I dislike about her. The shocked routine, the Pretty Pretty Princess routine (and Peru, she can be as take-charge as she likes in her personal and business life, but her lyrics I've heard and the image she's selling are completely in that wheelhouse), and the mediocre vocals.

In 2012?

Outselling your fave. Punching down the Immaculate Collection. Joining Mariah, Celine and Shania as the only women with a studio album that sold over 30 million copies.

You say that like being shoulder to shoulder with Shania is some sort of compliment.

It doesn't say much about taste or longevity.

Koodo, did u get ur hands on the Kylie CDs? i don't see u stanning for her.

I hope Ke$ha takes a shower before she comes back again. I just got the smell of her out of my car.
DMeisterJ was quoted saying music smells. News at eleven.

I'm looking forward to Ke$has new music. Animal and Cannibal aren't masterpieces, but damn they're great party music! I appreciate that. :)

Bladenic

You say that like being shoulder to shoulder with Shania is some sort of compliment.

It doesn't say much about taste or longevity.

Koodo, did u get ur hands on the Kylie CDs? i don't see u stanning for her.

Did you just insult the Country Pop Queen who's sold more records with only FOUR albums and a Greatest Hits CD than most of the current singers that release an album per year/bi-yearly? Tsk tsk.

LOL, Delio, I haven't watched any of ur 1D videos for fear that I might like them. What ever would I do with myself then?

Did you just insult the Country Pop Queen who's sold more records with only FOUR albums and a Greatest Hits CD than most of the current singers that release an album per year/bi-yearly? Tsk tsk.

I actually enjoy Shania, but let's be serious now. It was all about Mutt.

I'd hardly say that I'm a Ke$ha stan since Kelly is my fave probably.

And did someone mention Shania? Are we ever gonna get a new album from her?
Hi.

iVPKElJ103W1p.gif

P.S. I think Taylor Swift is actually a really good pop/country/whatever songwriter. Except that one song about Kanye was kind of eyeroll-inducing, but I'll just let that slide.

Bladenic

LOL, Delio, I haven't watched any of ur 1D videos for fear that I might like them. What ever would I do with myself then?

I actually enjoy Shania, but let's be serious now. It was all about Mutt.

Well I can't really disagree with that statement until she FINALLY releases a new album, which Lord knows when that will be at her rate. Not to mention it's been a DECADE since her last studio album. I still believe she can come back strong though.

Edit: Hi Crumpet. You just as salty as me that our queen was held back from having an 7+ week topper by fun?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
this thread has reached 100,000 views but its always the same people posting, stop lurking and start posting
I'm not here for you entertainment
tumblr_lzoa43ASf41r3zat8.gif

Well I can't really disagree with that statement until she FINALLY releases a new album, which Lord knows when that will be at her rate. Not to mention it's been a DECADE since her last studio album. I still believe she can come back strong though.

Edit: Hi Crumpet. You just as salty as me that our queen was held back from having an 7+ week topper by fun?
Didn't Shania develop dysphonia? There's a video somewhere where she's showing off her "new" voice and it's shockingly different from the Shania I remember.

And I would be salty but if the Xtina stans are taking credit for Moves Like Jagger, I would be more than happy to attribute fun's success to my other queen, Janelle Monae.
g6DIz.gif

Plus I'm betting Dark Side is gonna slay hard this summer, and I've never been wrong about how a Kelly track ends up doing commercially (except for Never Again
jnpKT6ffMVI34.gif
).

I was listening to some Aphrodite yesterday though, and Get Outta My Way is such a HOMOSEXUAL song. Lahv it.
g6DIz.gif

YES. Great album, I've been listening to her all day <3

tumblr_lp0x90HolZ1qdiy03o1_400.gif

Up was so good. I hope she can make a comeback, I really do.

this thread has reached 100,000 views but its always the same people posting, stop lurking and start posting I'm not here for you entertainment

Agreed, we need more stanning and more meltdowns. U are entertaining tho :p

Bladenic

Didn't Shania develop dysphonia? There's a video somewhere where she's showing off her "new" voice and it's shockingly different from the Shania I remember.

And I would be salty but if the Xtina stans are taking credit for Moves Like Jagger, I would be more than happy to attribute fun's success to my other queen, Janelle Monae.
g6DIz.gif

Plus I'm betting Dark Side is gonna slay hard this summer, and I've never been wrong about how a Kelly track ends up doing commercially (except for Never Again
jnpKT6ffMVI34.gif
).

I think so but she sounds better than ever now. Plus it's been a year since that OWN show where it showed her regaining her voice so I think it's about time for the album..

And Dark Side is soooo good. Hope it goes top 5 at least but I think it can reach the throne and cockblock everyone else. Just hope Ke$ha doesn't debut her new song at the same time for fear of one beating the other.

Koodo

Banned
And I would be salty but if the Xtina stans are taking credit for Moves Like Jagger
With the HORRENDOUS Payphone blowing up the charts, I think it's clear who made Moves Like Jagger reach the summit.

I can't believe I used to stan for Maroon 5 (barf). Songs About Jane still holds up.

Mumei

Maybe too much Idol has lowered my standards, but I think she's an OK singer.

I agree that she is indeed an okay singer. I was just thinking of some of her Christina*, I mean, larynx problems and jerry-built whistle register. She still has more going for her in terms of fullness of voice and whatnot than a lot of singers.

Hey, royalan. How are you? :)

Mau ®

Rihanna &#8207; @rihanna Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Calvin Harris is eaZily 1 of the most talented muthafuckers! And by far THE MOST HUMBLE person I work with...

More Rihalla-Calvin Harris smashes on the way.
cry1.gif

cry1.gif
cry1.gif
cry1.gif

Please give her more amazingness like "Feel So Close" and "Bounce"... not like "Call my name"
+wtf+.gif

royalan

I agree that she is indeed an okay singer. I was just thinking of some of her Christina*, I mean, larynx problems and jerry-built whistle register. She still has more going for her in terms of fullness of voice and whatnot than a lot of singers.

Hey, royalan. How are you? :)

Whatever. You guys are running out of time to hate, anyway. The album of the year is dropping soon....

God I wish she would bring one of her real shows to the US. Just once. Kylegend always puts on an epic show...

BR0TZ.jpg

iITHRH4wHeYtK.gif

God I wish she would bring one of her real shows to the US. Just once. Kylegend always puts on an epic show...

I went to the Showgirl Tour at Earls Court in the UK. It was great, the only negative is that she doesn't DO much on stage; just kind of stands around doing those spazzy hand-dances.

Mau ®

I went to the Showgirl Tour at Earls Court in the UK. It was great, the only negative is that she doesn't DO much on stage; just kind of stands around doing those spazzy hand-dances.

Yep. Basically this.

It's all about the production and her charisma IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom