• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Yep. Basically this.

It's all about the production and her charisma IMO.

Which is more than can be said for most people's faves these days.

VbxME.gif

(although a friend of mine went to see her when she brought the "intimate" leg of her tour to the US, and he said that she was very energetic and interactive with the audience. And 100% live. So a lot of it might have to do with how choreographed the staging is..)

I love that G-Fex and Peru are here.

And Ke¢ha love? This thread is going in the right direction.

rVZjW.gif

Peru you need more GIFs if you want to be taken seriously

Lil' Kim coming for Minaj.

Re: Lana: What a terrible song.

lol @ little monsturds taking over the comments section. Can't fucking get away from the little misfits.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
hi pop thread! i've been hungover all day.

but you guys were talking about kylie while i was gone! i'm so proud of you gorls.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Not exactly pop, but hell...

Welp, Lil' Kim (The Queen Bee) must have gotten in touch with Madonna's Photoshop team, because she's looking pleasantly snatched in some new promo pics:

1lsPj.jpg

And promo for what, you might ask? Why, her upcoming, Live Nation-backed tour.

Yeah, I didn't know she still had that kind of clout, either. But I'm excited!

Lil' Kim the Queen Bee so you best take heed. Shall I proceed? (Yes Indeed.) I'mma throw SHADE if I can't get paid!

Lil' Kim still holds a special place in my heart. I need her to come back for real and get over the whole Nicki Minaj thing.

Lil' Kim still holds a special place in my heart. I need her to come back for real and get over the whole Nicki Minaj thing.

Meh. I want to know why hip hop female artists get so offended when a new one gets popular/"replaces" them. Now that Madonna's irrelevant, I don't see her shit talking Gaga or dissing Britney Spears. Minaj didn't say anything bad about Kim, why is she so mad? They should be doing songs together

Mumei

Meh. I want to know why hip hop female artists get so offended when a new one gets popular/"replaces" them. Now that Madonna's irrelevant, I don't see her shit talking Gaga or dissing Britney Spears. Minaj didn't say anything bad about Kim, why is she so mad? They should be doing songs together

Her Ambassador does that for Her. It is beneath Her.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Meh. I want to know why hip hop female artists get so offended when a new one gets popular/"replaces" them. Now that Madonna's irrelevant, I don't see her shit talking Gaga or dissing Britney Spears.

Madonna did. She called Gaga 'reductive'.

Minaj didn't say anything bad about Kim, why is she so mad? They should be doing songs together

Nicki came at Kim on Roman's Revenge. I'm not sure if that was first or not, but she's no saint.

Nemesis_

Her Ambassador does that for Her. It is beneath Her.

Without Pho my life in Pop-GAF would be boring. But sometimes I do feel like he is a character poster who will not actually THINK ABOUT THINGS and just BLINDLY FOLLOW Madoldna. I love Madonna, kind of, well, not really (just Confessions) but sometimes shit gets ridiculous

Mumei

Without Pho my life in Pop-GAF would be boring. But sometimes I do feel like he is a character poster who will not actually THINK ABOUT THINGS and just BLINDLY FOLLOW Madoldna. I love Madonna, kind of, well, not really (just Confessions) but sometimes shit gets ridiculous

Speaking of Pho, paging.

royalan

Listen to Minaj's early mixtapes. LOTS of subliminal pot-shots at veteran rap females, which isn't unusual and wouldn't have been an issue...if her early look wasn't about 80% Lil' Kim, 20% Foxy.

There was also behind-the-scenes drama around the time Lil Kim was recording with Young Money right before Nicki Minaj blew up. Only thing we got from that period was this hot track: Pussy Purr.

"Itty Bitty Piggy" had a lot of youtube femcees coming at her. Keys being the highlight (damn, I really wish this girl had turned into something, because she straight up ETHERED Nicki)

Madonna did. She called Gaga 'reductive'.

Nicki came at Kim on Roman's Revenge. I'm not sure if that was first or not, but she's no saint.

She called Born This Way reductive, which is true; it outright jacks a Madonna melody. But outside of that Madonna has been pretty cordial towards Gaga and the rest of the new generation of pop stars

Nicki only addressed Kim after Kim had continuously attacked her in interviews and disses, which is perfectly fair imo. It wasn't a case of Nicki determining that in order to take the top spot, she had to destroy Kim; she ignored her and blew up, then Kim got salty. It's pretty sad.

royalan

She called Born This Way reductive, which is true; it outright jacks a Madonna melody. But outside of that Madonna has been pretty cordial towards Gaga and the rest of the new generation of pop stars

Nicki only addressed Kim after Kim had continuously attacked her in interviews and disses, which is perfectly fair imo. It wasn't a case of Nicki determining that in order to take the top spot, she had to destroy Kim; she ignored her and blew up, then Kim got salty. It's pretty sad.

Read my last post.

Eh... as far as I'm concerned Missy Elliot is the best rap gurl.

I see no lies here. Fuck this male vs. female crap, Missy Elliot was one of the most innovative, creative forces in Hip-Hop for years, period.

She's also who Minaj is jacking a lot of her latest swagger from. I mean, anything in this video look familiar?

Nemesis_

You should listen to Body Talk LAST unless you want a downhill experience (though chronologically it has been uphill for Robyn).

Yeah, I always try to listen chronologically. So far Robyn Is Here is, well, less than underwhelming. lol.

Read my last post.

I've heard some of her mixtape stuff and at the time it struck me as typical hungry mixtape rapper stuff; rap is full of subliminal disses. Also at the time, Kim wasn't relevant which makes me hesitant to agree that Minaj was trying to knock her from the top of anything.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Oh, can we turn this into a Missy Elliot appreciation thread?

She's someone who understands how to be different and stand out without coming off like trying too hard. Nicki tries the same thing and comes off so fake.

royalan

I've heard some of her mixtape stuff and at the time it struck me as typical hungry mixtape rapper stuff; rap is full of subliminal disses. Also at the time, Kim wasn't relevant which makes me hesitant to agree that Minaj was trying to knock her from the top of anything.

Not trying to knock her from the top, but definitely throwing pot-shots at her, which Kim took more to heart than other femcees because Minaj at the time was such a carbon-copy of her. How are you going to pop shots at the bitch whose style you've near-completely ripped off?

I mean: slightly NSFW

And it wasn't a case of Kim trying to be relevant, because this beef started before Nicki blew up, hell before she even had an album out. Nicki was still a nobody outside of the hip-hop scene when the beef started.

(Also, there HAS to be darkroom beef from when Kim was working with Young Money. Both rappers have alluded to it, without outright spilling the tea.)

royalan

Missy Elliot lost all credibility when she lower herself to this,

she is no longer relevant

I'll admit that was a dark moment for Missy, but it wasn't major enough to be a blight on her own body of work. lol

We'll see, though. She too is dropping an album this year.

(Wow, this year might not be so bad, after all...)

Koodo

Banned
The stain of Garbaj will probably fade into the ether by year's end.

Along with LMFAO.

Can you imagine an album containing both of these flops?

Nemesis_

The way you feel about Miss Elliott collaborating with Katy Perry is the same way I felt when I saw you posted a 1D related GIF.

DMeisterJ

Banned
no

http://i.minus.com/ibx6BNti7d541r.gif[IMG]

you girls can remain pressed, Starships is still holding strong on the top 10 and she has Pound The Alarm, Automatic, and Whip It in her arsenal. She will thrive throughout the whole year[/QUOTE]

Nicki was a [s]one-hit wonder[/s] scratch that, she doesn't even have a #1 single, who alienated her whole userbase by making a 1/2 rap, 1/2 pop album that excelled at neither, and then had a nervous breakdown when she didn't sell any albums.

Mau ®

Eh... the way it's been building on radio, Starships will be peaking in about 2-3 weeks. SuperBass on the other hand was almost eternal for a pop song.

Marius_ I love how you shade me for my Rih stanning, yet you're stanning for the most generic pop gurl. I mean, as a rap gurl she's cool I guess, as a pop artist her shit is just sad.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Nicki was a one-hit wonder scratch that, she doesn't even have a #1 single, who alienated her whole userbase by making a 1/2 rap, 1/2 pop album that excelled at neither, and then had a nervous breakdown when she didn't sell any albums.

Nicki has had 2 number 1 one albums while Missy has had 0 after releasing 7 albums, no wonder you stan for her she is the same as Rihanna
iy5qCOQg38FNT.gif

Sis, now you shading Gaga in order to boost Nicki Minaj. Think about that for a mo'
I was referring to 1D there who are already taking The Beatles wigs so early in their career
ibzAk7ZgxrY5QV.gif

Nemesis_

Wait, Minaj's personalities are actually results of trauma?

So she's clinically got a mental illness?

Why has she not got help? I FEEL BAD for SHADING HER NOW.

I was referring to 1D there who are already taking The Beatles wigs so early in their career

ghrMG.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom