• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GameCube Was Nintendo's Worse Home Console Failure.

Sorcerer

Great system. Nintendo screwed themselves over with those proprietary mini disks. Not even having the option to watch dvd's also made the other consoles more attractive at the time.

On the plus side, this is the most beautiful looking console I've ever seen:

tRI40bb.jpg

This is the most comfortable controller I've ever used:

714px-Nintendo-GameCube-Wavebird-Silver.jpg

This is one the best racers I've played:

Great system. Nintendo screwed themselves over with those proprietary mini disks. Not even having the option to watch dvd's also made the other consoles more attractive at the time.

They weren't really proprietary actually. They were Mini-DVD compatible, if Nintendo wanted to, and they decided not to, they could have supported Mini-DVD move playback and also got their discs to be at bigger sizes. They basically limited their options on purpose for whatever reasons.

That's like Sony releasing the PS2 on DVD's but restricting the size to 400 megs and making it so it can't play CD/or DVD movies when it could actually do so.

From a design perspective (mini-dvd's included) the gamecube was a work of art. At the time a 1.2gb size limit was absolutely not an issue. 90% of PS2 games were in fact <1gb. Also DVD playback was nice, but it didn't lead to much momentum for the xbox which could play them.

What crippled gamecube was poor marketing/positioning and lack of 3rd party support. That came about as a result of aggressive/predatory exclusivity poaching from Sony in particular (they basically killed Sega's Dreamcast with this) and from Nintendo's alienation of 3rd party devs during the previous generation. Keep in mind despite being more powerful and capable than the ps2 (as was the gamecube minus dvd playback) Xbox was also starved for exclusives and subsequently sales.

In short, what crippled gamecube most in my view, was the N64. That generation completely and utterly eroded Nintendo's relationships with key developers which it had developed over the 80's and early 90's. There was no question that final fantasy would stay on Nintendo platforms for example-IF the N64 had used CD's. But they went cartridge and the space limitations made that impossible. Nintendo's self inflicted wound in 1996 would haunt them for over a decade.

They then punched themselves in the face again by doing something so avoidable it defies belief; instead of calling the successor to the wii the wii 2, they called it a fucking wiiu and killed the massively successful Wii brand completely. Up until its discontinuation and to this very day, the vast majority of wii owners have no idea what a wiiu was or is.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Oh snap. Ol' boy got banned?! I just started to like seeing him post weird/off the wall stuff, just to see people point how wrong he was lol.

The GameCube was a terrible followup to the N64. I forgot about it not selling well. I do however recall the $99 price tag and thinking Nintendo would meet the same fate as Sega.

From a design perspective (mini-dvd's included) the gamecube was a work of art. At the time a 1.2gb size limit was absolutely not an issue. 90% of PS2 games were in fact <1gb.

More like 80.

The issues is a lot of the best selling PS2 games were above 1.2GB and Nintendo could have gone with a higher capacity but intentionally decided not to.

Then you have the Xbox games that were above 1GB which was more common than the PS2, and several cross-platform devs between GC and Xbox stopped putting games on the GC eventually.

Also PS2 exclusive poached the Xbox and yet they managed fine. Issue was the market didn't really want many of the GC's games.

Astral Dog

GameCube paved the way to the Wii so it wasn't that bad (sales wise)
Nintendo learned to focus on its strenghts and not on its weaknesses

Wii U was horrible but well in the end it was more like a prototype Switch, at least Nintendo developers learned to make hd games and all sequels are on Switch

Naked Lunch

The Gamecube is the worst Nintendo console. All of its major franchises had better installments on the previous gen's N64, and the GC has the worst mainline controller of all time. Im still pissed I bought one at launch.

bobone

Apparently I lived in a weird gaming bubble. From what I read online the PS2 was the God console and destroyed everything. But there wasn't much talk about the PS2 in my high school. And other than Halo there was zero talk of the Xbox.

There were the kids with the Xbox, usually stoner pot heads; and there were kids with the PS2, usually the jock/non gamer types. But everyone that was into games had a Gamecube (and a PC). And we all loved it.

Looking back on it, almost 2 decades later, you can pick the console apart, but that's not really fair to do without living through it.
The load times were almost cartridge fast (PS2 took minutes to save and load in some games).
The graphics were competitive, and in a lot of cases superior.
The WWE games and Smash and split screen shooters ruled.
The 2 exclusive Zelda's were amazing, and the extra discs let you play every other Zelda game from NES-N64.
Nintendo gave us Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Mario Soccer, Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Metroid Prime.
Capcom put out 6 Resident Evil games on it alone. Ubisoft had great versions of Tom Clancy games. Sega ported Skies of Arcadia and Sonic Adventures. Lucas did great Star Wars games. EA did all of the Need for Speeds, Call of Duty's, Medal of Honor's, those great Lord of the Rings games, SSX Tricky, NBA Street.

Not sure what you guys were playing in 2001-2005, but if you weren't any of that you were missing out big time.

. Ubisoft had great versions of Tom Clancy games. Sega ported Skies of Arcadia and Sonic Adventures. Lucas did great Star Wars games. EA did all of the Need for Speeds, Call of Duty's, Medal of Honor's, those great Lord of the Rings games, SSX Tricky, NBA Street.

Not sure what you guys were playing in 2001-2005, but if you weren't any of that you were missing out big time.

So multiplats that were better on Xbox? Also as for Splinter Cell:

splintercell_040703_in4.jpg

Top Bottom