• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

flyover

It just wouldn't be a Voyager episode unless the shields go down and/or they have to consider ejecting the warp core.

That makes sense given the episode, though I had been hoping it would be Yesterdays Enterprise and BoBW part 1. Definitely going to see it in theater when it happens, the S2 one was great.

Yeah, it would be nice if they did a second theatrical showing for this season. Yesterday's Enterprise and some other episode. (Deja Q would probably be the most likely candidate, though there are plenty of good options. Just hope Captain's Holiday wouldn't be one of them...)

Volimar

I didn't mind the action based of the concept. Stranded alone on the other side of the galaxy is going to make for a lot of episodes of the ship getting beat up. If only they had had a chance to visits the space hippies home world.

Then again, I'm pretty forgiving of my sci fi.

I didn't mind the action based of the concept. Stranded alone on the other side of the galaxy is going to make for a lot of episodes of the ship getting beat up. If only they had had a chance to visits the space hippies home world.

Then again, I'm pretty forgiving of my sci fi.

It would be like shoehorning a big battle sequence with the probe in Inner Light. Its unnecessary to the story and is there for its own sake.

flyover

So, which episodes will get the theatrical release for seasons 4-7?

4: Reunion and Clues

This is the toughest season to pick. I could be (and wouldn't be surprised if I am) off on both choices. Plenty of above-average episodes, but not a lot of TNG classics. I could see Family being selected, just as a coda to the BoBW story. Data's Day if they want a Data episode. And maybe they'll just go with the season finale (and Season 5 opener): Redemption. Other notables: Remember Me, The Wounded, The Drumhead, First Contact.

5: The Inner Light and Darmok

There are so many classic, well-regarded episodes this season: Cause and Effect; I, Borg; Unification I and II; Conundrum. But it's also the easiest season to pick, because Darmok and The Inner Light are the most iconic standalone episodes of the entire series. Personally, I like Cause and Effect better than Darmok. But the only way the latter doesn't get shown is if they don't want two episodes that isolate Picard from the rest of the crew for almost the entire time.

6: Chain of Command I and II

If they decide not to go with a two-parter, then it'll probably be Relics and Tapestry. Other notable Season 6 episodes include Ship in a Bottle, Frame of Mind, and Timescape. There's also a chance it's Descent, but I think "There are four lights!" will get the nod, if it's a two-parter.

7: Sub Rosa, twice in a row

Obviously, no way it's anything but All Good Things. If they pick a couple episodes to show in an airing separate from the finale, it'll be Parallels and The Pegasus (which also happened to be the two episodes on either side of the mid-season hiatus). Lower Decks is also from Season 7 and would be an interesting choice, but I don't think it would make the cut, because of its focus on characters other than the main cast.

Here's the list of all TNG episodes at IMDb, by rating:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092455/eprate

Haribo

Banned
I've watched all of TNG, VOY & DS9 as well as the movies from Generations onwards. Before I watch the original movies (then Enterprise) I want to see the best episodes TOS has to offer. We watched' The Trouble with Tribbles' straight after seeing DS9's 'Trials & Tribblations', and 'Where no man has gone before' this evening. After a bit of googling I've devised this list:

The Corbonite Manouver (S01E10)
Balance of Terror (S01E14)
The Squire of Gothos (S01E17)
Arena (S01E18)
Space Seed (S01E22)
Taste of Armageddon (S01E22)
The Devil in the Dark (S01E25)
The City on the Edge of Forever (S01E28)
Amok Time (S02E01)
Mirror Mirror (S02E04)
The Doomsday Machine (S02E06)
Journey to Babel (S02E10)
The Enterprise Incident (S03E02)
The Tholian Web (S03E09)

Missing anything essential?

B.K.

If they pick a couple episodes to show in an airing separate from the finale, it'll be Parallels and The Pegasus (which also happened to be the two episodes on either side of the mid-season hiatus). Lower Decks is also from Season 7 and would be an interesting choice, but I don't think it would make the cut, because of its focus on characters other than the main cast.[/I]

They should edit The Pegasus and the Enterprise series finale into one episode and screen it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I've watched all of TNG, VOY & DS9 as well as the movies from Generations onwards. Before I watch the original movies (then Enterprise) I want to see the best episodes TOS has to offer. We watched' The Trouble with Tribbles' straight after seeing DS9's 'Trials & Tribblations', and 'Where no man has gone before' this evening. After a bit of googling I've devised this list:

Arena (S01E18)
Space Seed (S01E22)
Amok Time (S02E01)
Mirror Mirror (S02E04)
The Tholian Web (S03E09)

I would add The Galileo Seven (S01E13) and The Ultimate Computer (S02E24).

maharg

idspispopd

Arena (S01E18)
Space Seed (S01E22)
Amok Time (S02E01)
Mirror Mirror (S02E04)
The Tholian Web (S03E09)

Why don't you just watch the whole thing? After spending hundreds of hours watching the later shows, TOS seems like a pretty minor investment.

jb1234

I watched a couple Voyager episodes today. Its amazing how of the 3 episodes I watched all of them had to shoehorn a battle sequence in. Sparks fly out of consoles and the cast give status reports even when the episode is not an action episode. Its a stark contrast to TNG where action was limited due to budget/lack of CGI. They had to rely more on story than cheap action sequences.

Yeah, that's Voyager for you (and also Enterprise). The cast must have hated filming those sequences.

MC Safety

Arena (S01E18)
Space Seed (S01E22)
Amok Time (S02E01)
Mirror Mirror (S02E04)
The Tholian Web (S03E09)

Watch Piece of the Action. It's great fun. And Where No Man Has Gone Before is a very good episode as well.

About the assertion that Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Khan in Into Darkness:

They're all so very young, though. I mean, have Carol Marcus and Kirk even boned yet? And doesn't Cumberbatch wear Starfleet attire in the trailer? Wouldn't that rule out Khan?

They're all so very young, though. I mean, have Carol Marcus and Kirk even boned yet? And doesn't Cumberbatch wear Starfleet attire in the trailer? Wouldn't that rule out Khan?

If he is Khan it won't be the same story as in ST2. But it's basically a powerful, revenge seeking character. Even if they don't call it Khan, isn't it basically Khan anyway? His real name might not be "John Harrison" or he might take the title of Khan once he does something bad. John Harrison sounds like an alias or fake name just because it is so generic sounding. If you're spending millions of dollars on a big budget blockbuster, why call one of your characters Joe Schmoe? It's probably going to Khan in some form or another at this point. If it wasn't Khan they would've likely officially denied it.

maharg

idspispopd
If he is Khan it won't be the same story as in ST2. But it's basically a powerful, revenge seeking character. Even if they don't call it Khan, isn't it basically Khan anyway? His real name might not be "John Harrison" or he might take the title of Khan once he does something bad. John Harrison sounds like an alias or fake name just because it is so generic sounding. If you're spending millions of dollars on a big budget blockbuster, why call one of your characters Joe Schmoe? It's probably going to Khan in some form or another at this point. If it wasn't Khan they would've likely officially denied it.

So assuming, and this may or may not be a stretch, that there's any respect for the source material, the problem with "it's someone seeking revenge so Khan" is that Khan wasn't seeking revenge until TWoK. He had no desire to destroy or avenge anything in Space Seed, only to dominate and control.

Also I don't think this crew would have denied anything about any possible character. This is great fucking press either way.

Zzoram

People seem to be very confused about this.

He can be Khan and the story doesn't have to be the same as Star Trek II's story. If he's Khan, another ship found the Botany Bay. This is plausible because Nero's attacks and Vulcan's destruction has militarized Starfleet and they may have a larger fleet exploring space than they did in the Prime universe.

Also, he can still be out for revenge against the normal humans that ran him off Earth, it doesn't have to be a personal revenge against Kirk. Or maybe he's out for revenge for the rest of his crew that may have been killed or experimented on by Starfleet.

Zzoram

appew-2-t.jpg

Prominent spinal ridge? Is John Harrison a Klingon disguised as a human? Maybe Arne Darvin from The Trouble with Tribbles?

It would explain some of his strength, and maybe that jump they show is a trick, maybe it is a low gravity environment.

maharg

idspispopd

He can be Khan and the story doesn't have to be the same as Star Trek II's story. If he's Khan, another ship found the Botany Bay. This is plausible because Nero's attacks and Vulcan's destruction has militarized Starfleet and they may have a larger fleet exploring space than they did in the Prime universe.

Also, he can still be out for revenge against the normal humans that ran him off Earth, it doesn't have to be a personal revenge against Kirk. Or maybe he's out for revenge for the rest of his crew that may have been killed or experimented on by Starfleet.

Ugh. I can tell you I'm not confused about any of this, and I don't think his story has to be the same at all.

What I'm saying is that Khan, when he woke up off the Botany Bay, was not interested in revenge against either any individual human or against humanity in general. He wanted to rise back to the top and he saw the Enterprise as a means to that end, but he wasn't out for revenge.

And frankly, if they change him to BE interested in revenge against "humans" I'll find him a far less interesting character. Yet another reason I don't want *this* to be Khan (even though I'm *entirely ok* with them doing Khan in general).

None of this explains why Codename Harrison is wearing Starfleet attire in the trailer. My only guess is that he's wearing something they issue to prisoners, but why would it have the Starfleet logo on it? Makes little sense.

Like Maharg, I'm not opposed to them doing Khan. However, it'd be one helluva cosmic coincidence if another ship stumbled upon the Botany Bay. The Enterprise alone coming across it was like one in a billion or something.

Saying that it's Khan because they haven't denied it doesn't make a ton of sense since they haven't denied that it could be Trelane or Gary Mitchell or just about anyone else yet, either.

Okay so I started watching Enterprise. 6/7 episodes in so far.

First thing that stands out is the theme song, OH GOD WHY?!?! Probably trying to cash in on the train at the time that led Firefly to also choose a shitty theme with vocals.

Related - it's absurdly obvious that they've tried to sex it up compared to other Treks. Just comes off as artificial.

Still, I have a morbid curiosity that has kept me watching. The pre-Kirk setting is pretty interesting - fascinating to watch them use transporters on people as a last resort for example, rather than completely casually.

I like the Doctor here, though pretty much all the Star Trek doctors are good characters except for Beverly Crusher (while I wouldn't say she's horrible, certainly a step below all the rest.)

Anyway, will definitely watch more. Isn't it only supposed to get good in the last two seasons? Either way, I needed something new since I've run out most every other sci-fi TV show. I do have TOS to get through (I've only seen a few select episodes), but I'll get to that after Enterprise since I'm already waist deep here.

Edit: Forgot about the wild Weyoun sighting. That was fun.

None of this explains why Codename Harrison is wearing Starfleet attire in the trailer. My only guess is that he's wearing something they issue to prisoners, but why would it have the Starfleet logo on it? Makes little sense.

Khan spent a fair amount of Space Seed in a redshirt, complete w/ arrowhead.

Zzoram

Okay so I started watching Enterprise. 6/7 episodes in so far.

First thing that stands out is the theme song, OH GOD WHY?!?! Probably trying to cash in on the train at the time that led Firefly to also choose a shitty theme with vocals.

Related - it's absurdly obvious that they've tried to sex it up compared to other Treks. Just comes off as artificial.

Still, I have a morbid curiosity that has kept me watching. The pre-Kirk setting is pretty interesting - fascinating to watch them use transporters on people as a last resort for example, rather than completely casually.

I like the Doctor here, though pretty much all the Star Trek doctors are good characters except for Beverly Crusher (while I wouldn't say she's horrible, certainly a step below all the rest.)

Anyway, will definitely watch more. Isn't it only supposed to get good in the last two seasons? Either way, I needed something new since I've run out most every other sci-fi TV show. I do have TOS to get through (I've only seen a few select episodes), but I'll get to that after Enterprise since I'm already waist deep here.

Edit: Forgot about the wild Weyoun sighting. That was fun.

There are a few good episodes in S1 and S2 but the bulk of the good stuff is in S3 and S4.

In fact, S3 and S4 are almost entirely good.

Zzoram

It's rumored that the original song to be used in the credits was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvEcaR9Cj7k

Faith of the Heart was far more appropriate than this.

It grew on me and was fine until they decided to make it upbeat during the season that turned the show dark. It's almost like the person who made the theme song update decision had no idea that S3 was going to be a full season dark arc.

It would've made WAY more sense for the theme song to get darker and depressing in S3 than go upbeat.

Were there discrepancies other than the looks of the characters? Like, did they mess up the original plot with new dialog?
My biggest beef in this regard is that they play it as Riker going through this historical simulation to try and decide what to do about his current problem, in regards to keeping a classified secret from Picard. At the end he decides he's going to talk to Picard about it. However, we know from the old episode that Riker keeps his trap shut until after they find the Pegasus.
FatboyRoberts said:
Khan spent a fair amount of Space Seed in a redshirt
When I first read this I didn't think you were referring to the actual shirt, but
292px-MarlaMcGivers.jpg

Volimar

My biggest beef in this regard is that they play it as Riker going through this historical simulation to try and decide what to do about his current problem, in regards to keeping a classified secret from Picard. At the end he decides he's going to talk to Picard about it. However, we know from the old episode that Riker keeps his trap shut until after they find the Pegasus.

Further proof that everything that happened on Enterprise was in an alternate timeline caused by the Borg incursion in First Contact. How else can you explain the fact that Riker and Troi are both clearly older than they were when this issue came up in TNG. In the alternate timeline, they didn't find the Pegasus until later, and this time Riker made the decision to confide in his captain.

Just screwing with you

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Like Maharg, I'm not opposed to them doing Khan. However, it'd be one helluva cosmic coincidence if another ship stumbled upon the Botany Bay. The Enterprise alone coming across it was like one in a billion or something.

Saying that it's Khan because they haven't denied it doesn't make a ton of sense since they haven't denied that it could be Trelane or Gary Mitchell or just about anyone else yet, either.

The one scenario I could see: another ship finds Botany Bay and brings Kahn and co back to Earth. He doesn't try to take over immediately, as this is Earth and not an isolated starship. He lies about his identity, joins Starfleet to show what a patriotic Earther he is, and works his way up for a few years while scheming how to turn things to his advantage.

appew-2-t.jpg

Prominent spinal ridge? Is John Harrison a Klingon disguised as a human? Maybe Arne Darvin from The Trouble with Tribbles?

It would explain some of his strength, and maybe that jump they show is a trick, maybe it is a low gravity environment.

Or the actor is thin.

It's rumored that the original song to be used in the credits was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvEcaR9Cj7k

Iirc, that's the music they used in the promotional commercials for Enterprise before it first aired. If my memory in that regard is right, then I personally think people are confused about the matter and think that the usage meant that it was initially meant as a theme song.

As mentioned earlier, the actual lyrics of the theme they ended up using fit with the show (~it's taken a long time to finally get to where we need to be, and we're not going to let anybody hold us back from this destiny, because we're strong enough to reach the stars; we can do anything~). They took a risk and went in a different direction here instead of doing Yet Another Instrumental Piece. It didn't work for most people. Frankly, as it's one of the few, few risks they actually took with the series, I applaud it.

The one scenario I could see: another ship finds Botany Bay and brings Kahn and co back to Earth. He doesn't try to take over immediately, as this is Earth and not an isolated starship. He lies about his identity, joins Starfleet to show what a patriotic Earther he is, and works his way up for a few years while scheming how to turn things to his advantage.

That's a fine enough story ­— if it wasn't compressed into one movie. The original Khan movie worked well because (among other reasons), they planted the seed* for it a decade and a half earlier. So it had particular meaning. Had they somehow used the first movie in some clever way (that we didn't really notice before, but it was in our faces the whole time) to break ground for this story, then it would feel better than, say, the TNG "bottle story" movies where a "revenge" character is introduced in the same film they were defeated in.

* pun only slightly intended

Ein Bear

Have just finished my Enterprise run through. Maybe it was just Stockholm Syndrome setting in, but I was kind of bummed to get to the end, was quite enjoying the show in Seasons 3/4. At any rate, if fucking Voyager got 7 Seasons, Enterprise definitely deserved a couple more. Would have liked to have seen where they'd gone with it, felt like they were getting into the swing of things by the end.

Shame the finale was so crappy. It's always nice to see Riker and his magnificent beard, but this really wasn't the time.

Have just finished my Enterprise run through. Maybe it was just Stockholm Syndrome setting in, but I was kind of bummed to get to the end, was quite enjoying the show in Seasons 3/4. At any rate, if fucking Voyager got 7 Seasons, Enterprise definitely deserved a couple more. Would have liked to have seen where they'd gone with it, felt like they were getting into the swing of things by the end.

Shame the finale was so crappy. It's always nice to see Riker and his magnificent beard, but this really wasn't the time.

Fan service or not, season 4 is pretty great. If the series had been as good during season 2, we could have gotten full 7 seasons. And maybe we'd be watching the next Trek series after Enterprise by now... oh well.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Have just finished my Enterprise run through. Maybe it was just Stockholm Syndrome setting in, but I was kind of bummed to get to the end, was quite enjoying the show in Seasons 3/4.

Nope, that's fairly normal. Those were the better seasons.

antonz

Enterprise was going to start moving into fun territory as far as established lore. They just waited too long to replace Berman and take Braga away from Lead Writer. Braga's best work is All Good Things and while that is certainly an accomplishment everything before and after was mediocre at best.

I find Enterprises 4 seasons more enjoyable than Voyagers 7 overall

I'm still slooowly working my way through TOS. I just watched The Apple. Okay episode, but a bit of a letdown after just seeing the crazy iconic Mirror, Mirror the episode before. It seems like the "Prime Directive" concept is still developing in this. In fact, it's a big part of it. The premise is that the people on this planet are all under the control of a nearby machine in a cave. The machine keeps them all immortal, healthy, attractive, etc. And they're happy. They don't reproduce or anything... they don't even know how. They just bask in the sun eating exotic fruit, smiling and joking.

When they get there, Spock and McCoy get into a big philosophical argument about it. Spock says they have no right to interfere, and McCoy says fuck that, these people are slaves and it's unnatural. Kirk sides with McCoy, and has Scotty fire up the lasers and blow the hell out of the machine from space. The episode ends with Spock still a little uneasy about what they did, and Kirk and McCoy respond by cracking jokes at his expense. The end.

Meanwhile, Chekhov is part of the landing party along with a one-off blonde crew member, and oh my god, it's just instant make-out city from the second they hit the ground. Kirk even has to tell them to cool it. Definitely not behavior that would fly later in the series. Or in any military ever.

Next up the The Doomsday Machine, which I'm aware is one of the signature episodes of TOS, won a bunch of awards, etc.

Okay, excuse the double post. I just watched Kirk vs Unicron, aka The Doomsday Machine on my lunch break. Man, that was great. Beginning to end, that was a fantastic representation of TOS. I guess it was meant to be based on Moby Dick a little bit? Whatever the case, that was one of the best ones yet. Commodore Decker was a great tragic character, all the regular crew was at their best, the pacing tension and acting were all top notch. So good.

I'm really digging TOS right now. S1 took me several months of just watching an episode here and there, but it really has clicked with me lately.

EDIT: Okay now it's the next day. Just saw Catspaw. Dumb Halloween themed episode, haha. Fun, though, kind of. Same ol' "we got trapped on a planet by aliens with psychic powers" shtick, though.

EDIT: Last night I watched the next one, too: I, Mudd. Another kind of comedy relief episode, but a good one for sure. It was cool to see Harry Mudd come back from season 1. He is an awesome character, just a hilarious scumbag. I feel like I've seen Kirk "talk a computer to death" several times now, but this time was pretty good... the whole gang just goes crazy and turn into the Animaniacs, irritating the androids until they just spark and smoke and shut down.

Metamorphosis is next.

My quest to watch all Star Trek has continued into the meat of TOS Season 2.

Metamorphosis - Pretty good. It was a sad story. A female alien cloud monster was in love with a stranded Zephram Cochran, a man who was famous in history and should have been dead for 150 years. I read afterwards on Memory Alpha that an aged version of the same character is played later by James Cromwell. So that's something. I liked the episode.

Journey to Babel - fantastic, one of the best I've seen yet, maybe THE best. Cool to see some background on Spock... I kind of vaguely remember Sarek from TNG years ago, but I sure didn't expect to see him OR Spock's mom step out of the ship. Great script, so cool to see all the other aliens... great stuff. Exciting "surgery during a battle" scene.

Friday's Child - Eh. Pretty good episode, but kind of a let down after the last two good ones. For a bit I thought they were implying that it really was Bones kid, as in he'd impregnated her when he was on the planet before. That would've been a lot better. Man, that tribes costumes were beyond stupid, holy shit. Kind of cool that Julie Newmar was in it.

The Deadly Years - This is the one where everybody catches a virus that makes them really old. Pretty mediocre. That hearing to relieve Kirk of command was sooooo dragged out.

Obsession - Kirk remembers an evil cloud monster from ten years ago that they cross paths with. Okay episode. Doomsday Machine was a much better Moby Dick redo, though. And it was pretty unfortunate to run two "Kirk went crazy and we had to take his ship away" episodes in a row. Netflix has the non-remastered version up for some strange reason, so it was kind of interesting to see that, as it's the only episode like that.

Wolf in the Fold - One of my least favorites of all so far. It starts out pretty good with the fellas visiting a brothel and a murder mystery, but the killer turns out to be the dismembered spirit of Jack the Ripper?? What the HELL. And the process by which they figure that out is ridiculous... one of the victims (the Mayors wife) said a weird word just before she was killed. They google the word and figure out that it's an alternate name for Jack the Ripper, then correctly conclude that it must be him in spirit possessing everybody.

The Trouble With Tribbles - Ah, now that was back to form! Great to finally see the iconic episode. I've always knows about it, basically, but good to finally see it. Great, snappy script, great fight scene, it was funny, and the remastered version went ALL out. It seems like they spent a lot on the new GC, more than any of the previous ones. If I have one complaint, it's that everyone was a little exaggerated: Scotty and Checkov were kind of portrayed as bigger idiots than normal, Spock had more of a stick in his ass, Kirk was more standoffish than usual... but hey, that's fine. It was great dialogue, great plot, cool to a few civilians and some Klingons being antagonistic. Solid stuff, I see why it's such a classic.

Next up is The Gamesters of Triskelion...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The Trouble With Tribbles - Ah, now that was back to form! Great to finally see the iconic episode. I've always knows about it, basically, but good to finally see it. Great, snappy script, great fight scene, it was funny, and the remastered version went ALL out. It seems like they spent a lot on the new GC, more than any of the previous ones. If I have one complaint, it's that everyone was a little exaggerated: Scotty and Checkov were kind of portrayed as bigger idiots than normal, Spock had more of a stick in his ass, Kirk was more standoffish than usual... but hey, that's fine. It was great dialogue, great plot, cool to a few civilians and some Klingons being antagonistic. Solid stuff, I see why it's such a classic.

Out of order, but you really should watch the Deep Space Nine followup episode, "Trials and Tribbleations" ASAP.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
5: The Inner Light and Darmok

There are so many classic, well-regarded episodes this season: Cause and Effect; I, Borg; Unification I and II; Conundrum. But it's also the easiest season to pick, because Darmok and The Inner Light are the most iconic standalone episodes of the entire series. Personally, I like Cause and Effect better than Darmok. But the only way the latter doesn't get shown is if they don't want two episodes that isolate Picard from the rest of the crew for almost the entire time.
I imagine it'd be unification, due to the Nimoy factor.

Zzoram

Or the actor is thin.

Iirc, that's the music they used in the promotional commercials for Enterprise before it first aired. If my memory in that regard is right, then I personally think people are confused about the matter and think that the usage meant that it was initially meant as a theme song.

As mentioned earlier, the actual lyrics of the theme they ended up using fit with the show (~it's taken a long time to finally get to where we need to be, and we're not going to let anybody hold us back from this destiny, because we're strong enough to reach the stars; we can do anything~). They took a risk and went in a different direction here instead of doing Yet Another Instrumental Piece. It didn't work for most people. Frankly, as it's one of the few, few risks they actually took with the series, I applaud it.

That's a fine enough story ­— if it wasn't compressed into one movie. The original Khan movie worked well because (among other reasons), they planted the seed* for it a decade and a half earlier. So it had particular meaning. Had they somehow used the first movie in some clever way (that we didn't really notice before, but it was in our faces the whole time) to break ground for this story, then it would feel better than, say, the TNG "bottle story" movies where a "revenge" character is introduced in the same film they were defeated in.

* pun only slightly intended

Who's to say Cumberbatch is defeated at the end of this movie? Maybe he survives and returns in Star Trek 2016. Or maybe he is defeated but manages to find/awaken the real Khan by the end of the movie, who disposes of him as if he's worthless trash, making Khan seem even more threatening than Harrison. Or maybe Harrison is Joachim and at the end submits to Khan's will and it turns out his actions were all part of a plan Khan set in motion.

maharg

idspispopd
Wolf in the Fold - One of my least favorites of all so far. It starts out pretty good with the fellas visiting a brothel and a murder mystery, but the killer turns out to be the dismembered spirit of Jack the Ripper?? What the HELL. And the process by which they figure that out is ridiculous... one of the victims (the Mayors wife) said a weird word just before she was killed. They google the word and figure out that it's an alternate name for Jack the Ripper, then correctly conclude that it must be him in spirit possessing everybody.

I have a theory that every genre show, if left to run long enough, will have a jack the ripper plot.

Interesting that my mention of the Enterprise theme sparked so much discussion. Maybe "Wherever You Will Go" would have been better, I don't know. But what's done is done, and though I dislike it, tough luck for me I suppose.

I'm a few more episodes in now. Easy to watch on a second monitor while playing EVE in another :p

I thought that may have been a water polo ball in Archer's quarters before, but it was neat to see him actually confirm/discuss it. Wonder if it will come up again later? I was just excited since I played in high school and it's a more unusual sport that you don't see mentioned much outside the Olympics.

Anyway, the temporal Cold War thing could end up being an interesting plot thread (last episode I saw was with that religious star thing). Does it run the series, or just Season 1? The seal on that door is clearly going to be broken at some point.

Out of order, but you really should watch the Deep Space Nine followup episode, "Trials and Tribbleations" ASAP.

Yeah, thanks to the MA article, I got kind of slightly spoiled or clued in to part what I'll be seeing there (just a little bit, though). But generally speaking, I plan to re-watch a few of these again someday before seeing their "sequels"... Space Seed before Wrath of Khan (all I know about WoK is that Khan comes back pissed, and at some point Kirk screams his name iconically), Trouble again before Trials, etc.

Top Bottom