• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

I was meh on it until the ending. The way the theme swells as warp nacelles first appear is fantastic.

Yeah! That's what I liked the idea towards the build up of music, just needed a better selection of music. However it should keep the little 'Star Trek' motif at the end as the ship warps away.

antonz

So it seems the prequel comic for the new movie introduces characters we might have expected and then swapped genders on another

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Bones > The Doctor > S2-S7 Bashir >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Phlox > Pulaski > Crusher > S1 Bashir

Zzoram

I want him to do all of S3 and S4 of Enterprise.

I've been thinking about it lately and S3 of Enterprise has some similarities to Voyager but did a lot more with the idea of being an isolated ship in a foreign and hostile new region of space. Enterprise realized a lot of the potential Voyager never did. For one, damage to Enterprise persisted to the next episode while Voyager seemingly replaced chunks of hull between every other episode without any difficulty despite having no allies.

Zzoram

So Enterprise would be a lot easier to like if the opening titles weren't so... wet. Actually, it's just the song - it's not 'Star Trek'. The montage of exploration and discovery is nice. I also apologise as I'm sure this is a topic that is mentioned every month within this thread.

Ya I really liked the montage of exploration for the intro. The song was just too upbeat for the darker premise of the show though.

The mirror universe version of the intro was amazing though.

Almighty

I never liked The Doctor I always thought he was overrated. I think it's mostly do to him being the one decent character on Voyager so the crap he was surrounded by made him look very good in comparison. I liked Bashir the best myself. Well once they figured out what they were doing with the character that is.

Zzoram

Bones and Bashir are my favorite doctors. Bones for his chemistry with Spock and Bashir for character development.

The Doctor was pretty annoying. Sure his poor bedside manner was funny at times but he wasn't really likable beyond that because his character was usually a jerk. In some ways he was like Neelix, only he actually had a useful skill to accompany his obnoxiousness.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
tumblr_m05u0wsczr1r1hqhbo1_500.jpg

Crusher #1

Been sporadically watching the movies since the GF got me the set on BR for Xmas.

After Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. I had high hopes.
Last night I watched Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

WTF is this!.
We must time travel to get some whales to save the world. It makes no sense, How are whales all dead surely the federation could have brought them back with all their tech.

How do the whales know their job in the future?

Spock relegated to a typical offbeat sidekick for kirk. Scotty and Bones just blatantly disrespecting Temporal Prime Directive, The goofy Chekov chase stuff with the navy crew and the goofy chase music that went with it.

The Doctor > Bashire > Bones > Crusher > Phlox > Pulaski

Crusher in a few episodes is god tier but episode to episode she is pretty weak.

Cheerilee

How do the whales know their job in the future?

The probe knows how to speak whale language.

The probe was asleep for many, many years. It woke up and tried to ask the whales what time it was, but the whales didn't answer (because they were all dead), so it just started repeating itself and asking louder. Then Kirk arrived with whales. The whales said "Dude, shut up already. It's 1986." The probe said "Whaa? It can't be 1986. It feels like I've been asleep a lot longer than that." And the whales said "No dude, trust us, it's 1986. Go away now, you're scaring our humans."

And then a few years later, the probe came back and killed the last of the whales.

maharg

idspispopd
Been sporadically watching the movies since the GF got me the set on BR for Xmas.

After Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. I had high hopes.
Last night I watched Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

WTF is this!.
We must time travel to get some whales to save the world. It makes no sense, How are whales all dead surely the federation could have brought them back with all their tech.

Between 1986 and Star Trek IV the world is supposed to have been ravaged by massive worldwide wars and at least one more or less dark age. So it's not really a given that they'd be able to do that.

Still, you're thinking about it too much.

Re: Doctors, Bones and The Emergency Medical Hologram (The Doctor's already taken dudes) are the best, no contest. Bashir gets bonus points for the most lolworthy plot twist in Trek history (
ZOMG HE WAS A CHANGELING ALL A... FOR A WHILE... OR SOMETHING
), I guess.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It amazes me how many people praise that episode as an example of Enterprise at its best.

It's a well-constructed episode except for the fact that it reaches the complete wrong decision and has no idea how evolution works.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Between 1986 and Star Trek IV the world is supposed to have been ravaged by massive worldwide wars and at least one more or less dark age. So it's not really a given that they'd be able to do that.

Still, you're thinking about it too much.

Re: Doctors, Bones and The Emergency Medical Hologram (The Doctor's already taken dudes) are the best, no contest. Bashir gets bonus points for the most lolworthy plot twist in Trek history (
ZOMG HE WAS A CHANGELING ALL A... FOR A WHILE... OR SOMETHING
), I guess.

Fuck, I had forgotten that plot twist. lol

Bashir was the best. His chemistry with O'Brien was amazing, he had great character development, and some great episodes like The Wire and Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges.

Bashir was great.

His (sorry for this) 'Bro-mance) with O'Brien, his chasing of Dax and fascination with Garik are some of the best character development in a TV series.

I watched two more ToS episodes:

Patterns of Force - Once you get past the sheer "hahahahaha wtf", it's not a bad episode except for one pretty key flaw which is that it never has a good explanation for the episode's premise.

So... The gang goes to a planet to check up on a Federation historian who was assigned to observe a developing planet. When they arrive, they're surprised to find that...

HE TAUGHT THEM ALL TO BE NAZIS!

Like, seriously. It's planet Nazi. Swastikas, Gestapo, the works. Kirk and Spock beam down to the surface and immediately get hassled. They beat up the pair of Nazis and steal their uniforms, which, as Spock points out, looks pretty convincing on Kirk. But a Jewish Space Elf doesn't pass as easily, so they're discovered pretty quickly. Kirk and Spock are stripped of their shirts and whipped in a scene that would seem brutal, except the neon pink marker drawn on Kirk to look like wounds is pretty immersion-shattering. Same with Spock's green "wounds". Also, holy hell Leonard Nimoy has his shirt off. He's a gangly, hairy man.

Anyway, they escape, meet with the Resistance, call in Bones for backup, take down the Reich, and get out of Dodge. When they meet the Federation historian and ask why he turned the planet into Nazis, the answer is basically "IDK, LOL; something about Nazi efficiency".

Anyway, fairly crappy episode conceptually, but nice espionage action-y parts, I guess. The other one was...

By Any Other Name- Actually a pretty solid episode. I dug it. Kirk and co beam down to a planet to respond to a distress call claiming to be from a crashed ship. But surprise! It's really a trap by four powerful people from the Andromeda Galaxy, a loooong way from home and needing a ride back. They have guns that can just freeze a person in their tracks and/or turn them into rocks, which they do with literally the whole crew except for Kirk, Spock, Bones and Scotty because like the audience, they've realized that pretty much everyone else is expendable. They hijack the ship and start heading home (a trip that will take 300 years).

But as it turns out, they've only recently assumed human forms and they're not used to all the fun that comes with it. So each of our four heroes decides to show one of the hijackers a good time. Scotty gets his new friend crazy drunk until they're both passed out on the floor. Kirk, naturally picks the girl and hooks up with her. Bones shows his guy the wonders of drugs. Spock just sits around and plays chess with the other guy.

In the end, the Andromedans decide to turn the ship around and live in our galaxy as humans, because damn... human indulgence is FUN.

This was actually a pretty good one!

EDIT: Oh, and I liked how there was actually some continuity in this one. They mentioned stuff from previous episodes a couple of times.

Next up is The Omega Glory.

lunchtoast

Anyone going to see the season 3 finale in theaters next month? There's a theater 40 min from me that's playing it and I've never seen it before. In the middle of season 3 right now.

maharg

idspispopd
Anyway, fairly crappy episode conceptually, but nice espionage action-y parts, I guess. The other one was...

Hey now, give the concept some credit. At least they had an *excuse* for the parallel earth concept in this one. More than most 60s SF along those lines had.

Honestly, should humanity ever be in a position of being advanced aliens to developing civilizations, I give that good odds of actually happening.

^^ Hah.

I still want to sit down and do 2-3 sentence reviews/critiques of the end of S3 and up to where I am in S4 Enterprise, but it's quite a bit to go through at this point.

I'll get the last episode I watched out of the way here then while it's still fresh on my mind:

S4/10 - Daedalus:

The inventor of the transporter? Surely this episode will deliver some interesting technobabble at least? And...nawp. It's like an ultra-watered down analogue of The Visitor, with characters who we don't care about who only appear in this episode, and otherwise no setup. Oh, and T'Pol not interested in boning Trip again. Yet. Though the little bit of continuity from the Kir'shara story arc is decent I suppose.

Hey now, give the concept some credit. At least they had an *excuse* for the parallel earth concept in this one. More than most 60s SF along those lines had.

Honestly, should humanity ever be in a position of being advanced aliens to developing civilizations, I give that good odds of actually happening.

I think that the episode is being furthermore shortchanged in terms of concept. The Nazi Party's reforms in the 1930s were astonishingly effective at turning a war-torn, enfeebled nation in a severe depression with a 33% unemployment rate into a superpower with a soaring economy and virtually no unemployment in a handful of years. They started ridiculously beneficial industrial and public works projects, gave their populace strong sense of self-worth, crime was shattered for a time. According to outside observers at the time, poverty ceased to be a thing in the country. Were it not for the, you know, whole thing about being evil and trying to take over Europe and killing dissenters along with groups that were seen as racially or otherwise inferior and encouraging sexual discrimination and so forth, we might very well today be looking back and seeing Fascism as a distasteful but necessary political development of the 20th century which had the historical side-benefit of preventing Communism from expanding into Europe. But then, it is fairly likely that you could not have had the good without much of the bad, and that's the fundamental discussion brought up by the episode.

So I think the episode's concept was pretty solid. It's somewhat idealistic in how the character thought that it would be possible to have the positive reforms that the Nazis introduced while having a minimal or even nonexistent introduction of the negative aspects, and it would have been nicer if they went into some better degree of detail regarding this. But I nonetheless find it an extremely interesting thought experiment.

Maybe I am shortchanging it. I just wish that clarification would've happened in-episode. Or at least closer to it. Memory Alpha says this:

The episode's thesis that Germany, and especially Nazi Germany, was the "most efficient" state in history, was popular in 1960s America; it is, however, strongly denied by modern historians that point to the many bloated, competing bureaucracies with ill-defined areas of competence that existed in that period, mostly financed with stolen and expropriated funds.

...and I do kind of remember the "Nazi Efficiency" narrative being a lot more common even in the 80's. I think it's a notion that used to be a lot more prevalent, enough so that Patterns of Force didn't even have to explain it much. Kirk's monologue at the end kind of did, I guess.

Maybe I am shortchanging it. I just wish that clarification would've happened in-episode. Or at least closer to it. Memory Alpha says this:

Hmm. Looking it up, I thought this exchange was pretty straightforward and clear about the reasoning that Gill used:

Star Trek said:
GILL: Planet fragmented. Divided. Took lesson from Earth history.
KIRK: But why Nazi Germany? You studied history. You knew what the Nazis were.
GILL: Most efficient state Earth ever knew.
SPOCK: Quite true, Captain. That tiny country, beaten, bankrupt, defeated, rose in a few years to stand only one step away from global domination.
KIRK: But it was brutal, perverted, had to be destroyed at a terrible cost. Why that example?
SPOCK: Perhaps Gill felt that such a state, run benignly, could accomplish its efficiency without sadism.
KIRK: Why, Gill? Why?
GILL: Worked. At first it worked.

And, of course, it makes at least a little more sense than Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Planetary Development. ;)
do not click on above link until your next report

...and I do kind of remember the "Nazi Efficiency" narrative being a lot more common even in the 80's. I think it's a notion that used to be a lot more prevalent, enough so that Patterns of Force didn't even have to explain it much. Kirk's monologue at the end kind of did, I guess.

For some reason, this reminds me about that old quote about Mussolini getting the trains to run on time (succinctly defeated by Mr. Snopes).

It's interesting and rather timely here that Omega Glory is next up on your list. E Plebneesta!
(I don't think it was particularly good, but there are some amusing bits scattered in there)

Enterprise S4/11 - Observer Effect

This bottle episode doesn't serve much purpose except to prove that aliens are almost at the assholery level Archer and Phlox are in Dear Doctor, but end up not going full stupid. Oh and human compassion blah,blah mushy wushy reasons.

Edit: The SFdebris episode on this one is a bit less harsh than I would have assumed, but pretty accurate in terms of criticism.

I was watching that HD render of Voyager's theme song I linked to in my last post, and I really started to appreciate how awesome some of the ship designs in Star Trek got. Voyager, Enterprise-E, Enterprise-D, Enterprise-A, Excelsior class, Prometheus class, whatever class Equinox was, and so on.

Ship designs in Abramsverse can't compare.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't think ship design was ever a problem in modern Trek really. Enterprise had those sick Vulcan cruisers which are some of my favorite ships in the franchise.

I don't think ship design was ever a problem in modern Trek really. Enterprise had those sick Vulcan cruisers which are some of my favorite ships in the franchise.

Yeah, the Vulcan cruisers are pretty badass.

Weakest ship design in the series?

Solar sailer from DS9. Come at me.

Design was not one of Voyager's problems. Intrepid Class ship is such a good looking ship and all the sets worked as well.

Really? Even the dumbass moving nacelles?

Just found out that they released an expanded OST for Generations last october. I remember them saying they were going to release one last year but completely forgot about it till now.

Edit:
I wouldn't call it the worst, but I do think the Galaxy Class is pretty ugly.

You sir are on notice. Galaxy is the best looking class of all. No other class comes even close.

Love the episode where riker gets abducted during sleep, at the end he says they had bad intentions....too bad they didnt follow up on that episode

Also saw the killing game voyager today, really cool episode on naZi aliens

I've always disliked the Reliant. It's such a boring design.

I'd probably like it better if it had a more unique saucer and nacelles, and didn't just rip them off the Enterprise refit.

Top Bottom