• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Would have been even more unbelievably stupid to make them the correct size for a ship that size. The sails probably would have needed to cover an area the size of a Borg Cube, or bigger.

Well, not really, they could at least try to be somewhat realistic. At least make them the size of a football field or ten, it would make some sense...

jstripes

Banned
I've always disliked the Reliant. It's such a boring design.

I'd probably like it better if it had a more unique saucer and nacelles, and didn't just rip them off the Enterprise refit.

The Reliant is one of my favourites. Mainly because it's such a different configuration.

Walshicus

The Reliant is one of my favourites. Mainly because it's such a different configuration.
Denmouth2.jpg

I love the Miranda design, but even better was the kit-bashes you could make from it and a few Centaur parts.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Also want to add that I always like the Nebula Class design as well. It gets rid fotheugly Galaxy Class neck and streamlines it into awesomeness.

USS_Prometheus_ventral%2C_Second_Sight.jpg

maharg

idspispopd
Also want to add that I always like the Nebula Class design as well. It gets rid fotheugly Galaxy Class neck and streamlines it into awesomeness.

USS_Prometheus_ventral%2C_Second_Sight.jpg

That looks like a Galaxy class that stubbed its toe.

I like the neck of the Galaxy class. But then I also think the Miranda (with torpedo launchers) and Constitution-Refit classes trounce everything that most people in this thread think is beautiful, so whatever. I don't even understand promoting the looks of the Defiant-class when it's just a giant shuttle, basically.

The 80s-early 90s period of Trek design is when they really got the naval-in-space look down pat. Before that it was too bulby and after that too angular.

Volimar

I really like the Nebula Class too. I hoped to see a sister class to the Sovereign Class like the Nebula was to the Galaxy.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I accidentally got super into next gen. I've watched an episode every night for a few weeks now. So goooooood.

The 80s-early 90s period of Trek design is when they really got the naval-in-space look down pat. Before that it was too bulby and after that too angular.

For once we agree on something.

Oberth Class out loud, bitches.

Or the Galaxy Class. I swear, Geordi LaForge is a TERRIBLE engineer. The single most important safety protocol on the entire ship NEVER FUCKING WORKS.

Dude, Geordi was a great engineer. They rarely needed to eject it since they didn't let situations go that far unlike Voyager who popped them out like used tampons (lol thanks to CarbonatedFalcon for the tampon metaphor).

So I accidentally got super into next gen. I've watched an episode every night for a few weeks now. So goooooood.

Cool. What season/episode are you on?

Dude, Geordi was a great engineer. They rarely needed to eject it since they didn't let situations go that far unlike Voyager who popped them out like used tampons (lol thanks to CarbonatedFalcon for the tampon metaphor).

That's funny because one of the earliest criticisms I read about the USS Voyager was that it looked like a maxipad.

I really like the Nebula Class too. I hoped to see a sister class to the Sovereign Class like the Nebula was to the Galaxy.

Sovereign class might be my favorite. Such a good looking ship.

Sovereign_class.jpg

I always liked the Akira class too.
USS_Thunderchild.jpg

Ambassador class
USS_Enterprise-C.jpg

So many good ship designs. Too bad they're all crap in the Abrams universe.

maharg

idspispopd
I really hate the nacelles on the sovereign class. Things look about as big as the entire galaxy class drive section.

I really hate the nacelles on the sovereign class. Things look about as big as the entire galaxy class drive section.

That and you could clearly see a design trend for smaller nacelles in the tng classes. Honestly, the ship designs from First Contact and on really blew chunks.

Well if we count "unofficial" ships in the discussion I almost like the Bellerophon Class from Star Trek Online the most. The design looks really great in my opinion up until one point... and that being the point where they decided it would be good to overdesign the hull as if it came out of Pimp my Starship :/

Now some might argue that without that overdesign it will look like a Intrepid Class again and that might be true though it fixes what I dislike about it, the movable nacelles were fine but they were a bit too small :(

If we only count "show" ships I doubt I could decide between the Intrepid, Galaxy and Sovereign Class :p

Just watched the episode "Waltz" in Deep Space Nine. Alaimo does a fantastic job playing an unhinged Dukat. I've never hated, yet felt so much pity for a character before.

Enterprise J - I can't decide if its briliant or stupid. On one hand it provides an extremely small profile when being attacked head on. That means it can probably avoid hitting something. But on the other hand its a large profile if you can't reduce your target profile.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, No

This thing is supposed to be so big it has transporters instead of turbolifts to get around.

It's a really silly design.

It doesn't help that they were trying to get a super far future Enterprise that looked like a derivative of the NX-01 instead of the rest of Starfleet's Enterprises.

On the other hand, at least we got the D'Kyr class out of the show.

Zen

Banned
The J is a parody of Federation designs, my god.

At least we got the veery Awesome Enterprise design out of Enterprise (Enterprise > Voyager by a huge mile).

The Equinox is such a sexy compact ship. I've always had a HUGE soft spot for the design. It seems so efficient and punchy were as a lot of StarFleet designs have that very elongated look that can make them seem a little... indulgent. I wouldn't want every design to follow the more efficient idea of the Equinox, but I respect how it bucks the trend while still retaining the core elements of a classic Federation Starship.

I also always have absolutely loved to Oberth class Starship. Maybe I just have a thing for shitty starships? But its design is so unique when compared to the rest of StarFleet, I would love to have seen any media in the ST universe dealing with a crew on said ship. As a research (or was it exploration?) vessel, it seems so different from most of the other non enterprise ships we ever get privy to, which always seemed to be presented as Pepsi versions of the real McCoy.

Miranda Class also gets special mention, to a lesser degree as does its successor

USS_Thunderchild.jpg

But honestly? God Tier

USS_Enterprise-C.jpg

Such a beautiful fusion of ST era designs. It looks so... stubborn.

Nah, going through TNG there are a lot of situations where the warp core ejector failed. Really hilarious.

In honor of Shatner's birthday, Hulu has every single episode of TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and Enterprise up and free on their site until 3/31!

Top Bottom