• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Frankly, I'm disappointed that the people who *haven't* read any spoilers have generally stopped speculating now that they know that some unknown answer has been confirmed. Screw that, I'm going crackfic on this one:

He's obviously future mirror universe Picard. That's why he has a 24th Century French accent and a ship that looks suspiciously like future Enterprises in some subtle manners. He has hair for the same reason that mirror-Spock had a goatee.

Thank goodness I'm not a writer. ;)

If Picard was in the new movie i'd scream like a school girl in a beiber concert.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I hate Seth MacFarlane, but the Writers Room extra on the season 3 Blu-Ray is pretty good. Lots of nice insights into episodes. A surprising amount of Gene bashing at the start (Roddenberry Box stuff).

Fuchsdh

Huh? It's on Netflix instant. I watched it last night.

Anyway, cross-posting this from the STiD thread:
The one on Instant isn't the directors cut, though. I guess it doesn't make a huge amount of difference but its one of maybe three directors cuts I can think of that are unequivocally better than the original (whereas STVI is slightly worse thanks to the reedit.)

I hate Seth MacFarlane, but the Writers Room extra on the season 3 Blu-Ray is pretty good. Lots of nice insights into episodes. A surprising amount of Gene bashing at the start (Roddenberry Box stuff).
I'm really torn on that content. Sounds really interesting but I can't stand MacFarlane. I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up!

Loving the S3 Blu so far. After suffering through the first two seasons on Blu this one really drives home what a huge leap forward in quality the show took with the third season.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm really torn on that content. Sounds really interesting but I can't stand MacFarlane. I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up!

Loving the S3 Blu so far. After suffering through the first two seasons on Blu this one really drives home what a huge leap forward in quality the show took with the third season.

Ill give MacFarlane credit that he really lets the writers talk. He's the moderator and really doesn't distract.

Fuchsdh

Ill give MacFarlane credit that he really lets the writers talk. He's the moderator and really doesn't distract.
I think he's a smart guy, he's just either full of himself or lacks introspection (ie when he was saying jokes about the Boston Marathon were tasteless.) Just an example of how not all fans should be let near the franchises they love.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The Visitor

tumblr_m5y5twPapT1qjehm8.gif

This here is a pretty fun thread to read.

It's a very in-depth discussion involving fan-editors exploring how to modify TMP to make it tighter and give it more of a TOS feel. They discuss both big elements (perhaps gutting out and replacing entire effects scenes) and smaller bits (putting an age-appropriate photo of the actor who played Commodore Decker into Wil Decker's room as a family photo), and it's pretty interesting to see everything that goes into this sort of collaboration.

I'm only a third of the way through so far, so I don't know if this actually reached a final stage. I hope so but won't keep my expectations up.

Anyway, somebody was asking about fanedits in the Wrath of Sherlock thread, so I figured I should continue it here, where the topics are a bit more free-wheeling. :)

The one on Instant isn't the directors cut, though. I guess it doesn't make a huge amount of difference but its one of maybe three directors cuts I can think of that are unequivocally better than the original (whereas STVI is slightly worse thanks to the reedit.)

If I really enjoyed the versino on Netflix, would it be worth picking up and watching the Director's Cut down the line?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was just wondering, does anyone have the 2009 movie box sets?

As someone who owns all the movies on DVDs, is it worth upgrading? They seem to be on sale at the moment, probably because of the imminent release of the movie, but the selling point seems to be new extra features recorded by current Star Trek alum (Moore, Coto) than the actual transfers or anything.

(I also read that they reverted back to the theatrical cuts of all the movies, which is a strange choice to make considering...)

Fuchsdh

If I really enjoyed the versino on Netflix, would it be worth picking up and watching the Director's Cut down the line?

Eh, I dunno. The edits make one of the character's reactions make a whole lot of sense, there's some character beats here and there, but I can't say fundamentally that anyone who was just casually watching would notice a lot of the differences.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, TWOK Director's Cut is my preferred version - go for that one if you can. But, if you can't get a copy of that, you'll be fine with the theatrical cut.

I had never seen a Harlem Shake that made me laugh until now.

I still don't get it at all. A friend came over during one of my parties and showed off a few of them. From what I've gleaned, there's dancy music, and one person or a small group dances, but everybody else looks bored. Then at the midpoint suddenly all the girls are topless, and everybody's excitedly dancing, and ... that's it?

I don't get why it's clever or interesting. Except for the boobs, I mean. And the Trek thing above seemed to lack even that.

It's basically just a huge "So what?" from me, but I'm probably missing a deeper critique of social mores just below the surface of the seemindly bland narrative.

syllogism

kharma45

I still don't get it at all. A friend came over during one of my parties and showed off a few of them. From what I've gleaned, there's dancy music, and one person or a small group dances, but everybody else looks bored. Then at the midpoint suddenly all the girls are topless, and everybody's excitedly dancing, and ... that's it?

I don't get why it's clever or interesting. Except for the boobs, I mean. And the Trek thing above seemed to lack even that.

It's basically just a huge "So what?" from me, but I'm probably missing a deeper critique of social mores just below the surface of the seemindly bland narrative.

They're mostly all shite but since it was Star Trek I enjoyed this one.

Fuchsdh

All the shit that made the Galaxy class so ugly removed, resulting that one beautiful design.

Really? I've always thought they were kind of awkward, like a kit bash.

That said, I don't think there's any one starship design that totally works. Even my beloved Enterprise refit/A has some awkward angles to it, although I think the Galaxy and Ambassador classes are among the least photogenic.

Oh, since people on GAF might find this amusing, flashback to my art school days--the E made out of cardboard for my freshman space research class. Made the engineering hull a bit too big, but that's because I had to stick some dowels in to support the thing later on (I think I stole my roommate's mug as a counterweight too.) Still was a blast to make, since I suck at sculpture, and I was kind of amazed my measurements translated into something that's recognizable.

lS7c4xf.jpg

I seen Star Trek Into Darkness today. I won't spoil it but I will say that I really enjoyed it. It has a mention of something relevant in DS9 which I liked. Its better than the first movie.

Cheebo

Banned
I seen Star Trek Into Darkness today. I won't spoil it but I will say that I really enjoyed it. It has a mention of something relevant in DS9 which I liked. Its better than the first movie.

From checking trekbbs's list of references there is a number of DS9 references amongst other series.

I love how they actually included a model of the original NX-01 and Cochran's little warp ship from First Contact in one of the starfleet scenes in the background.

Walshicus

From checking trekbbs's list of references there is a number of DS9 references amongst other series.

I love how they actually included a model of the original NX-01 and Cochran's little warp ship from First Contact in one of the starfleet scenes in the background.

Not just that, but the old XCV 330 class "ring-ship" Enterprise was in the scene too.

Watching Season 2 of Voyager. Neelix isn't as annoying as he's claimed to be. He's certainly no Jar Jar Binks. In fact, I actually kinda like him.

maharg

idspispopd
Watching Season 2 of Voyager. Neelix isn't as annoying as he's claimed to be. He's certainly no Jar Jar Binks. In fact, I actually kinda like him.

A big part of it is that there's 7 seasons of him and he's there well past having any particular reason to be.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

He's utterly useless. He came onto the ship under the guise of being an expert on the territory they were in but he was lying his ass off. Plus he can't cook for shit. Plus Tuvix

Fuchsdh

I think Neelix can be chalked up to a lot of deficiencies of Voyager in that they ignored the premise. They ended up playing him for awkward laughs instead of treating him as a survivor, as an expert in the territory, etc.

What made it worse was once or twice every season you got an episode that completely hit the right notes for what you thought Voyager was supposed to be--the best later example I can think of is "Night". There was a lot of promise built into Voyager, but it turned into a slightly over baked TNG retread. That said, there's still plenty of solid entertainment in it.*

*I know lots of people like the earlier stuff more, but I think the middle (post Seven) seasons were the best. Eye candy aside, Jeri Ryan could act, and the writers seemed to find a character they knew how to right interesting stuff for. I never really liked Kes--she just didn't do much besides her Jedi mind tricks.)

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Catching up on Enterprise on Netflix. I'm probably alone on this but I loved the Xindi and the whole Xindi story arc.

Enterprise would have been cool if they had interesting characters. They were more bland than Voyagers. I dont even remember the pilots name he was so forgettable.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Enterprise would have been cool if they had interesting characters. They were more bland than Voyagers. I dont even remember the pilots name he was so forgettable.
I think I like the Enterprise crew better and I actually like Captain Jonathan Archer.

Fuchsdh

I honestly can't think of any god-awful actors in any of the series. They just got watered down by the writers, but every one of them stepped up to the plate and gave some good performances during their run.

(Man, Beltran started tuning out halfway through the series though.)

Top Bottom