• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

squid

I think I like the Enterprise crew better and I actually like Captain Jonathan Archer.

Yeah, I much prefer the Enterprise cast. Sure, Mayweather was pretty much the prime example of a bland, under-developed, under-used character. And Hoshi seemed to become less important every season. And yes, I really disliked T'Pol and Jolene Blalock's portrayal of her.

But the rest of the crew ranged from good to great IMO. Phlox was brilliantly handled by John Billingsley, Tucker was a well-acted, everyman character, Reed was one of my favourite characters of the show (who was criminally under-used IMO) and while the writing for Archer had some problems and inconsistencies, he was still pretty likeable (gotta love Scott Bakula).

The Doctor was the only really great character from Voyager IMO. The rest of the crew just seemed so bland :-/

Really? I've always thought they were kind of awkward, like a kit bash.

That said, I don't think there's any one starship design that totally works. Even my beloved Enterprise refit/A has some awkward angles to it, although I think the Galaxy and Ambassador classes are among the least photogenic.

Oh, since people on GAF might find this amusing, flashback to my art school days--the E made out of cardboard for my freshman space research class. Made the engineering hull a bit too big, but that's because I had to stick some dowels in to support the thing later on (I think I stole my roommate's mug as a counterweight too.) Still was a blast to make, since I suck at sculpture, and I was kind of amazed my measurements translated into something that's recognizable.

lS7c4xf.jpg

The E?

That doesnt look like the E to me, more like the first Enterprise or the A.

I've not seen any evidence for *why*. I thought she did a pretty good job of playing a Vulcan.

Me too. Playing an emotionless creature is the opposite of acting. Anyone could have done it. But they tried to give her some depth by giving her some emotion due to the angel dust addiction she picked up.

Enterprise would have been cool if they had interesting characters. They were more bland than Voyagers. I dont even remember the pilots name he was so forgettable.

this was brought up earlier in this thread by me. During season 3, the actor playing the pilot barely got any lines. He would just show to to the set, sit there pretending to fly, barely say one or two words and that's it. when I first saw the show, it was so bad and it reeked of racism to me (as to say the black guy was being ignored by everyone.)

Fuchsdh

The E?

That doesnt look like the E to me, more like the first Enterprise or the A.
The E as in the Enterprise, not the Enterprise-E. insert Scotty "Relics" quote here.

I think underused characters like Travis are one reason for why more open script submissions are a good thing. Sometimes the writers don't want to or don't know how to write a character, and they need some outside input.

The E as in the Enterprise, not the Enterprise-E. insert Scotty "Relics" quote here.

I think underused characters like Travis are one reason for why more open script submissions are a good thing. Sometimes the writers don't want to or don't know how to write a character, and they need some outside input.

Got ya!

Baleoce

Going through TNG again, just finished S3 "Who watches the watchers". Fantastic prime directive ep. "The Picard" xD

I've not seen any evidence for *why*. I thought she did a pretty good job of playing a Vulcan.

I think she gets a lot of hate because she was the obvious bit of flange and sex appeal for the program...despite the fact she was a decent actress and played one of the few quality characters on the show. (the other being the badass andorian/Re-Animator)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Catching up on Enterprise on Netflix. I'm probably alone on this but I loved the Xindi and the whole Xindi story arc.

No you're not.

People seem to like season 4, but for my money the ending stretch of Season 3 is the best thing in the series.

The Xindi arc, though not perfect, was such a breath of fresh air after season 2. Clearly for so much of that season it was like the show runners had no idea what the show was even supposed to be, so it was basically watered down Voyager episodes. That's right, not even watered down TNG, watered down VOYAGER.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Me too. Playing an emotionless creature is the opposite of acting. Anyone could have done it. But they tried to give her some depth by giving her some emotion due to the angel dust addiction she picked up.

That's just it, Vulcans aren't emotionless. They suppress them but they are still there. Characters like Spock, Sarek, and even Tuvok conveyed that. They didn't give a deadpan delivery of their lines. T'pol sounded like a bland, hollow character reading off cue cards. Heck, even Vorak on Voyager wasn't that bad.

Htown

It was super terrible because the original pitch for the character was that he was the one on the crew that was the most experienced space traveler, having lived on a slow-ass cargo ship all his life.

Would have been nice for him to give some insight to the crew on how to handle things over a long haul through the expanse with no resupply, but nope.

That's just it, Vulcans aren't emotionless. They suppress them but they are still there. Characters like Spock, Sarek, and even Tuvok conveyed that. They didn't give a deadpan delivery of their lines. T'pol sounded like a bland, hollow character reading off cue cards. Heck, even Vorak on Voyager wasn't that bad.

I realize that and yet i isee no difference between the Vulcan characters. T'Pol showed as much irritation as Tuvok did towards Neelix, condescension towards Archer, etc. But we're getting into a subjective area here on acting ability unless people have examples of how bad T'Pol is.

Fuchsdh

It was super terrible because the original pitch for the character was that he was the one on the crew that was the most experienced space traveler, having lived on a slow-ass cargo ship all his life.

Would have been nice for him to give some insight to the crew on how to handle things over a long haul through the expanse with no resupply, but nope.

I think we got one or two episodes where that came into play. Braga and Berman really should have stuck to their premises. But they ended up watering themselves down (aka "no shields but polarize the hull plating syndrome".)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Archer arguably being a worse captain than Janeway didn't help matters. Janeway had mood swings, but Archer was just incompetent.

"How dare they be offended that my dog pissed on their sacred trees!"

Htown

Archer arguably being a worse captain than Janeway didn't help matters. Janeway had mood swings, but Archer was just incompetent.

you won't see me defending anything from A Night in Sickbay.

That aside, I do like that Archer actually changed over the course of the series. When the show started he was clearly overoptimistic and naive. By the end of the show he actually carried himself like he knew what the hell he was doing.

maharg

idspispopd

Well, at least he never murdered one of his own crew members in cold blood.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

Okay, I don't remember that. What episode was this?

Edit: Wait, was that the epsiode? A Night In Sickbay?

Fuchsdh

Dax. She couldn't act her way out of a nutsac.
Again I think that was the writers coming up with a character they couldn't deliver. A being that's lived for hundreds of years doesn't have as much in the way of low-hanging fodder for story and characterization if they're already supposed to be so wise.

GQman2121

Banned
Just got press passes from my radio buddy to see this on Wednesday night. Didn't see the first one; know next to nothing about the franchise; and have little to no interest in outer space. I hope its at least a fun ride.

Nekofrog

Banned
Again I think that was the writers coming up with a character they couldn't deliver. A being that's lived for hundreds of years doesn't have as much in the way of low-hanging fodder for story and characterization if they're already supposed to be so wise.

No, she really can't act. I've seen her in other stuff, she's so stiff and wooden. Super bad casting in that area.

maharg

idspispopd

There's so many great things you can do with characters who are ancient and wise. Mostly around having them be surprised by a young world. Lots of low hanging fruit there.

Walshicus

she's so stiff and wooden. Super bad casting in that area.
Given she's playing a Vulcan, these two thoughts just don't compute.

Again, I've only seen her in Enterprise but I'd have judged her performance of the character to be one of the better in Trek-dom.

maharg

idspispopd
Given she's playing a Vulcan, these two thoughts just don't compute.

Again, I've only seen her in Enterprise but I'd have judged her performance of the character to be one of the better in Trek-dom.

Leonard Nimoy, Mark Lenard, Kirsty Alley, hell even Kim Cattrall all managed to perform vulcans without being "stiff and wooden". I think they were maybe going for something kind of awkward with T'Pol's character that never really worked but I think in the end the criticism is valid.

Fuchsdh

Leonard Nimoy, Mark Lenard, Kirsty Alley, hell even Kim Cattrall all managed to perform vulcans without being "stiff and wooden". I think they were maybe going for something kind of awkward with T'Pol's character that never really worked but I think in the end the criticism is valid.
Well if you want to partially justify it in-universe they were total dicks until Surak came back and whipped them into shape in time for TOS.

Baleoce

Romulan: "What happened to your eyes?"
La forge: "I was born this way.."
Romulan: "..and they let you live?! no wonder your species is so weak, they waste time and resources on defective children"

owch xD

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
On season 3 of DS9. I'm digging the characters a great deal more than TNG. While Sisko is no where near the level of Picard the supporting characters are far deeper than the ones on the Enterprise. I genuinely couldn't care less about Deanna, Crusher, Riker etc. The interaction between Odo and Quark is probably my favorite part of the show.

Fuchsdh

On season 3 of DS9. I'm digging the characters a great deal more than TNG. While Sisko is no where near the level of Picard the supporting characters are far deeper than the ones on the Enterprise. I genuinely couldn't care less about Deanna, Crusher, Riker etc. The interaction between Odo and Quark is probably my favorite part of the show.

After watching BSG and running through all the Star Trek eps I have a new respect for DS9. Bad ending aside, it pushed the more alien aspects of Trek and provided a dynamic where there could be conflict between characters, but they were still on the same sides. I think it's a good thing Berman and co. reined in Moore though.

And Quark/Odo is probably my favorite single pairing in the series as well.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I would have a hard time trying to write down which shot is more arse, Voyager or Enterprise. I tend to dislike VOY a bit less because it still had some of that old Trek feeling, while ENT is just one gigantic missed opportunity

both shows have an absolutely horrendous crew and a plethora of truly appalling episodes, but I guess VOY's best, like Equinox, Pathfinder, Message in a bottle, Year of hell and few more still are much better than ENT'S best

a new DS9 fan is born. I can only be happy about it

I would have a hard time trying to write down which shot is more arse, Voyager or Enterprise. I tend to dislike VOY a bit less because it still had some of that old Trek feeling, while ENT is just one gigantic missed opportunity
Definitely Voyager. It had two better written and acted contemporaries and was just a glorified Lost in Space.

Enterprise just tried to go in a new direction and failed.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
After watching BSG and running through all the Star Trek eps I have a new respect for DS9. Bad ending aside, it pushed the more alien aspects of Trek and provided a dynamic where there could be conflict between characters, but they were still on the same sides. I think it's a good thing Berman and co. reined in Moore though.

And Quark/Odo is probably my favorite single pairing in the series as well.
I liked the DS9 ending. The only issue for me was the terrible transition from the war ending to the prophets ending. And that stupid flashback scene for everyone.

Fuchsdh

I liked the DS9 ending. The only issue for me was the terrible transition from the war ending to the prophets ending. And that stupid flashback scene for everyone.
Including the flashback that doesn't make sense for Word since they didn't want to pay Terry for showing up in the finale?

My isse with the end of DS9 is that until the final run, the war was unevenly handled--one ep it's the most important thing ever, the next they're doing a horrible and slightly racist baseball episode. The best eps of the later seasons were the ones that completely committed to the arc.

As far as the actual finale, the book of Kosst or whatever it was called is nothing less than the worst plot point modern Trek has tried to use as an arc. The book and its powers never made any sense and the Pah Wraiths only ever worked for one or two episodes (like the evil Keiko one.)

maharg

idspispopd
As far as the actual finale, the book of Kosst or whatever it was called is nothing less than the worst plot point modern Trek has tried to use as an arc. The book and its powers never made any sense and the Pah Wraiths only ever worked for one or two episodes (like the evil Keiko one.)

It was just Moore's practice run for BSG.

My isse with the end of DS9 is that until the final run, the war was unevenly handled--one ep it's the most important thing ever, the next they're doing a horrible and slightly racist baseball episode.
Even in war, life still goes on, and that episode is one of the best in all of Trek.

Fuchsdh

Top Bottom