• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

maharg

idspispopd
Isn't the issue with DS9 more dire, though? TNG was shot on film and I believe so were most of the final effects shots, only the composites were done on videotape. There's some video-only effects stuff that had to be completely redone, but it was more a task of finding, reassembling, and cleaning up existing stuff. DS9 and Voyager have so much more CG that would have to be wrangled or recreated; there's conflicting reports on whether the bulk of this stuff is still lying around on hard drives somewhere, is lost or somewhere in between. Ultimately it's going to be a lot more work for unfortunately not as much bang, I think, given that the CG stuff is probably not going to hold up as well. Still it would be great to get all of Trek in a format for the future.

DS9 was still mostly practical effects for its early run afaik. Voyager was the one that was pushing the CG envelope.

Man, I hope we get DS9 on blu ray. I haven't watched that show in a few years, but it's the only Trek series that comes close to TNG IMO. These TNG remasters are amazing and the new special features are great! Would love to see the same work done to DS9.
I would kill to have DS9 on blu-ray. I don't even need it to get the same treatment as TNG is getting, though that would be nice.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I was at a Wal-Mart the other day and they had a big Star Trek DVD endcap set up. Including the new cheap TNG DVD sets. What disapointed me was there were 4 seasons of Voyager merchandised, and nothing for DS9.

It's hard getting into DS9 for the me and the wife. Part of it is feeling the absence of Picard and crew, but so far it's also a bunch of stuff I don't care about.

The last episode we watched, Q-Less, was the worst. I thought Vash was going to become a Q. Instead it turned out Q was just bussing her around Gamma Quadrant for... no good reason. They really nerfed him in terms or how easily amused he is. At first, he was playing around with the existence of entire civilizations, which he was going to extinguish. Now he's following around some annoying human. Is he confined to the Milky Way? Go explore some other galaxies, damnit.

Fuchsdh

It's hard getting into DS9 for the me and the wife. Part of it is feeling the absence of Picard and crew, but so far it's also a bunch of stuff I don't care about.

The last episode we watched, Q-Less, was the worst. I thought Vash was going to become a Q. Instead it turned out Q was just bussing her around Gamma Quadrant for... no good reason. They really nerfed him in terms or how easily amused he is. At first, he was playing around with the existence of entire civilizations, which he was going to extinguish. Now he's following around some annoying human. Is he confined to the Milky Way? Go explore some other galaxies, damnit.

That's a problem with Q in general. In TOS, they ran into omnipotent beings practically every other planet but they worked in their limited frame. The idea of Q following around a single ship or two to dick with them seems a little petty and small after some time.

Stick with it. It gets really good quickly. Once you get to "Duet" you'll see. That was the episode that let me know I was in for something special.

It's funny though because my wife and I had the opposite reaction. Took us like 3 seasons to get into TNG, but we liked DS9 from almost the beginning.

That's a problem with Q in general. In TOS, they ran into omnipotent beings practically every other planet but they worked in their limited frame. The idea of Q following around a single ship or two to dick with them seems a little petty and small after some time.

It worked in TNG, because Q took a liking of Picard and followed him around. He didn't care about the rest of the crew or the ship so much. And he chose Picard to be the one he would base his judgement on humanity's right of existence on.

In DS9 it looked like he decided Sisko to be a witless moron compared to Picard, and left them pretty much alone. In Voyager nothing made sense any longer, he wanted to shag Janeway, there was a Q Junior, and then there was Q civil war where he needed help from Voyager... Maybe it's better not to think about that too much.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
In all seriousness, she actually was one of the better developed characters of the show. sfdebris has a pretty good point, though, about how her growth was really weirdly stubbed by her often saying things that the audience would agree with but being knocked down by the rather odd morals of the episodes.
I always felt it was kind of a "fuck you, audience" for them to have her play Devil's Advocate all the time only to be spoken to like a child by pseudo-intellectuals with suspect morals. I found it to be a scary insight into the minds of the writers, and I was very happy not to know those people.

Stepping back from it, it seems like a snide commentary on the plight of Biblical prophets.

I always felt it was kind of a "fuck you, audience" for them to have her play Devil's Advocate all the time only to be spoken to like a child by pseudo-intellectuals with suspect morals. I found it to be a scary insight into the minds of the writers, and I was very happy not to know those people.

It totally works for me, since I realized after Tuvix that Janeway was the antagonist of the series, not the protagonist.

I mean, did you dislike 1984 because the people in control had suspect morals? ;)

Fuchsdh

Just started on Voyager after watching DS9 and Enterprise.

Spirit animals, wtf.

DS9 is still my reigning champion.

It's something of an in-joke in my family. When we've got an issue, one of us will suggest a spirit quest, complete with an invocation that "Acoochemoya. I am far from the bones of my people."

Luckily that prattle goes away (although they use it to a good effect in that nightmares episode.)

It totally works for me, since I realized after Tuvix that Janeway was the antagonist of the series, not the protagonist.

I mean, did you dislike 1984 because the people in control had suspect morals? ;)

Eh, I think you can argue the Tuvix thing, but that's not to say there weren't some questionable ethics in Voyager that were treated rather blasé.

daedalius

Disenchanted with voyager, I am trying BSG...

Cyber meat brains inside Ai controlled fighters and lolclones of humans waxing poetic about genocide and parents.

I might be going back to voyager really soon, at least it seems dumb in a more endearing way, rather than attempting to destroy my sense of disbelief with stupidity and plot holes a battlestar could fly through.

Disenchanted with voyager, I am trying BSG...

Cyber meat brains inside Ai controlled fighters and lolclones of humans waxing poetic about genocide and parents.

That was still during the good part of the show! Later on it became apparent that the writers were just making stuff up as they went along, Lost style. You may want to check out Babylon 5, which does to long story arc stuff pretty damn well. A couple of actors leaving, and show almost getting cancelled after season 4 affected the story somewhat, but it's still it's light years better than what other long scifi series have managed.

I might be going back to voyager really soon, at least it seems dumb in a more endearing way, rather than attempting to destroy my sense of disbelief with stupidity and plot holes a battlestar could fly through.

Yeah, Voyager was usually entertaining at some level. The only things that really sucked were Neelix and Kes stuff, and Chakotay's "Native American" wishy washy hippie bullshit.

daedalius

That was still during the good part of the show! Later on it became apparent that the writers were just making stuff up as they went along, Lost style. You may want to check out Babylon 5, which does to long story arc stuff pretty damn well. A couple of actors leaving, and show almost getting cancelled after season 4 affected the story somewhat, but it's still it's light years better than what other long scifi series have managed.

Yeah, Voyager was usually entertaining at some level. The only things that really sucked were Neelix and Kes stuff, and Chakotay's "Native American" wishy washy hippie bullshit.

I loved Babylon 5, I actually watched the entire run of that show when it was on the air like... forever ago.

Maybe I should watch it again, it'd have to be better than some of these other options!

flyover

Indeed. I was able to go to the ones for S1 and S3, and was eagerly awaiting for the S4 event.

Me, too. I wonder if (and hope) maybe they'll double up on Season 5, which has so many classic, iconic episodes. Not that S4 doesn't have some good episodes, but S5 has Darmok; Unification I and II; Cause and Effect; I, Borg; and The Inner Light.

And Imaginary Friend.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Did anyone ever notice how in Star Trek VI, during the Battle of Khitomer, as Chang looks at his sensor display as the Excelsior arrives, he sees both the Enterprise and Excelsior's dorsal sides? However, when he fires immediately afterward, you see the shot coming from directly below the Excelsior. It seems that this is never listed on any movie goof lists.

Houston crowd welcomes home 'Star Trek's' Shuttlecraft Galileo

6C8488811-130801-galileophoto-hmed-0430p-files.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg

6C8488813-130801-galileo2photo-hmed-0430p-files.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg

HOUSTON — The first shuttlecraft from the original 1967 "Star Trek" television series has landed at a real-life space center for its final away mission.

Space Center Houston, the official visitor center for NASA's Johnson Space Center in Texas, unveiled the newly-fan-restored Shuttlecraft Galileo on Wednesday during a science fiction celebrity-studded event that featured one of the original actors from the full-scale spacecraft's debut episode.

Actor Don Marshall, who portrayed Starfleet Lieutenant Boma in "The Galileo Seven," helped launch the prop's public display.

"This is Galileo!" announced Marshall as the drape covering the shuttlecraft was pulled away.

Joining Marshall for the lights-and-fog-assisted reveal were actors Robert Picardo ("The Doctor" from "Star Trek: Voyager"), Sylvester McCoy (the seventh "Doctor" from "Doctor Who"), Tracy Scoggins ("Capt. Elizabeth Lockley" from "Babylon 5") and Gil Gerard ("Capt. William Buck Rogers" from "Buck Rogers in 25th Century"), among other sci-fi stars.

The shuttlecraft's eventual permanent exhibit in Space Center Houston's "Zero-G Diner" will highlight how science fiction has inspired real-life space explorers and workers.

Fuchsdh

That sounds awful.

I couldn't get through that one with Chekov, Uhura, Cameron and co. "Gods and Men" or summat'? Just felt cheesy to hell and back with a convoluted storyline to justify the TOS sets.

I've got an intense distaste for fan series that I've seen, Star Trek or otherwise. It might be a tad irrational but I just can't see beyond the production value and ham-fisted acting.

I couldn't get through that one with Chekov, Uhura, Cameron and co. "Gods and Men" or summat'? Just felt cheesy to hell and back with a convoluted storyline to justify the TOS sets.

I've got an intense distaste for fan series that I've seen, Star Trek or otherwise. It might be a tad irrational but I just can't see beyond the production value and ham-fisted acting.

Same here. Fan products are always notoriously bad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Same here. Fan products are always notoriously bad.
Gods and Men was really silly, and used the New Voyages/Phase 2 sets iirc, but I think Phase 2 and the new "Continues" thing with anime voice actor Vic Mignolia as Kirk was fine.

Part of it is that it's just really easy to replicate the 60s look in 2013 without needing a massive budget. And it's not as if TOS had the greatest acting anyway, so having semi-pros/amateurs pretend to be TOS characters works fairly well. It helps that Phase 2 is using original series scripts as well, since they really do feel like they came out of the 60s (much like, say, S1 and S2 of TNG).

Oh, Jesus. I just watched "Move Along Home." I was about to break my TV.

There was a scene of them climbing cave walls and grunting for like 150 seconds. Do the writers and editors have any idea how long that is in TV time? It was days and days of grunting and walking on cave ledges.

I really need to focus my strength and work up the will to continue DS9.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Oh, Jesus. I just watched "Move Along Home." I was about to break my TV.
If that's the episode I remember, were I Sisko, I'd have beat the shit out of the smug guy with the blue writing on his head. "It's only a game!" Yeah, we got a new game to show you. It's called stick ball. You're the ball, and this is my Buck Bokai limited edition baseball bat. Heyyyyyy batter-batter.

Kimaka

I finally finished season three of Voyager and halfway through four. Although I'll miss Kess, Voyager is much better after Seven arrives. I still indifferent to most of the characters excluding the Doctor, Seven, and sometimes Tuvok. B'Elanna and Paris have dipped into annoying territory after they hooked up. I hope their relationship problems have less of a focus in the last three seasons. It feels like the writers just stuck them together because they didn't know what to do with their characters.

Fuchsdh

I finally finished season three of Voyager and halfway through four. Although I'll miss Kess, Voyager is much better after Seven arrives. I still indifferent to most of the characters excluding the Doctor, Seven, and sometimes Tuvok. B'Elanna and Paris have dipped into annoying territory after they hooked up. I hope their relationship problems have less of a focus in the last three seasons. It feels like the writers just stuck them together because they didn't know what to do with their characters.

Man, they got together that early? Felt like later.

...Well in general they don't focus that much on their relationship, but towards the end there's a couple with them as a heavy focus. One excellent one ("Lineage"), and the rest pretty average Voyager eps.

antonz

I think it might be getting time to turn in my trekkie card with the way trek and its fans are going. This was voted on at the las vegas trek convention as best crew for a starship.

1149342_786238694725971_1647996980_o.jpg

Janeway seriously.. ugh trek fans are starting to suck

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The only explanation I can come up with is that it's been long enough since Voyager that it was a bunch of people's first Trek.

Won

I think it might be getting time to turn in my trekkie card with the way trek and its fans are going. This was voted on at the las vegas trek convention as best crew for a starship.

1149342_786238694725971_1647996980_o.jpg

Janeway seriously.. ugh trek fans are starting to suck

It's just how voting works I guess. She is gonna lose 1vs1 against everyone, but have Kirk, Picard and Sisko fight for votes and the few dedicated Janeway crazies can be enough to make her win.

Top Bottom