• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Doing what?

I always thought it made more sense. Why they would pile all their exec officers and leave the space station completely unmanned was beyond me... At least Voyager never shoved everyone into the Flyer.

First contact stardate matches stardate when Sisko was moving Eddington. He was in the badlands.

Fuchsdh

Yep The Search For Spock would be bottom. Insurrection though, I think is a nice enough movie.
Insurrection and Search for Spock seem to be the most polarizing original films. Personally I think TSFS belongs where they ranked it; it's a solid movie with some great acting, memorable moments and I think the only effective way to bring back Spock without feeling like a cheat.

Insurrection to me just feels like the leftovers of First Contact (right down to the joystick, which was in the original FC script and was as stupid there), wrapped up in a philosophical quandary where I don't agree with our heroes at all. Yes, it's perfectly reasonable to displace some people from what is not their actual habitat to benefit the entire galaxy to me. The Ba'ku are high-minded assholes who abhor technology but don't mind having people with tech save them (not to mention exiling those who disagree with them.)

Search For Spock is very good, I'd say only 2, 4 and 6 are better. Commander Kruge may not have been the most multi-dimensional character, but the way other Klingons reacted to him was great. The Klingons in ST6 never were as believable.

Search For Spock is very good, I'd say only 2, 4 and 6 are better. Commander Kruge may not have been the most multi-dimensional character, but the way other Klingons reacted to him was great. The Klingons in ST6 never were as believable.

The new Saavik is just so horrible.

flyover

The new Saavik is just so horrible.

Yeah. With just a few tweaks, I'd say VI could have been the best movie -- at least for me.

As it is, I still find it the most re-watchable. If I'm flipping channels and it's on, I'm seeing it through. Wrath of Khan is #1 for me, but I only want to watch it every so often, and then only in its entirety.

Switching actresses was stupid, especially when they looked so different... But I don't think the new actress did a bad job in that situation, her role should just have been smaller due to the change.

They didn't have a choice on switching – but her performance is so the polar opposite of Alley's. Its what every person who does a bad vulcan does.

Fuchsdh

They didn't have a choice on switching – but her performance is so the polar opposite of Alley's. Its what every person who does a bad vulcan does.
She's not a bad Vulcan, but she's a completely different Vulcan than Saavik was. Just the delivery of lines like "just like your father" didn't have the same warmth to them. I've never heard Curtis talk about the role, maybe Nimoy encouraged her to play it more stoic, but it is to me the single biggest misstep of the movie, and probably for Kirstie Alley's career too which fell off the rails almost immediately.

radcliff

Just wanted to pop in and say that I've caught a Star Trek bug recently. I haven't watched but probably 3-4 episodes before this, and right now I'm going through TNG. Picking and choosing episodes at the moment, but so far I've really enjoyed Yesterday's Enterprise and the first Borg episode ( I have a fetish for roboticized humans).

Are there quite a few borg episodes? What about the other shows? I demand more Borg.

For TNG, I am assuming you are referring to "Q, Who" the episode where Q introduces the crew to the Borg. For other TNG Borg episodes: "Best of Both Worlds" (Parts 1 [season 3] & 2 [season 4]), "I, Borg" (Season 5), "Descent" (Parts 1 [season 6] &2[season 7]), and "First Contact" (movie).

Was that the one where Picard basically told a young and insecure Bajoran that if she wanted Starfleet to ever place trust in her she had to go on this suicide mission? That was so out of character for him. It bugged the crap out of me.

You need to see Season 5 episode "First Duty" for this to make sense. In the episode, the Bajoran (along with Wesley) took part in a dangerous stunt that killed a fellow Starfleet Acadamy graduate and they all tried to cover up the truth. Picard discovered them. That was why he was hard on her, in addition to seeing if she was metally prepared for the mission that killed her. It is referenced in the episode, but it may not have made sense if you hadn't seen the other episode.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Just wanted to pop in and say that I've caught a Star Trek bug recently. I haven't watched but probably 3-4 episodes before this, and right now I'm going through TNG. Picking and choosing episodes at the moment, but so far I've really enjoyed Yesterday's Enterprise and the first Borg episode ( I have a fetish for roboticized humans).

Are there quite a few borg episodes? What about the other shows? I demand more Borg.

On memory alpha there is an appearances part of most articles so you can see who was in what episodes. To save you time the Borg Memory Alpha appearances link, they are in Voyager more than any of the other shows, but also kind of toned down at the same time too and not quite as the no fuss evil bad guys as they were in TNG.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So I was watching a clip from STID and haven't seen the movie yet. Very good chance I will be blind buying the Blu-ray combo pack for my b-day.

Anyways, this guy just seems awesome in a creepy kind of way.

UB8UNbu.jpg

Apparently he's called 0718 and is an augmented human (the actor stresses he's not a robot or android) and can integrate with the Enterprise itself. I mean, he just looks creepy but also bad ass. While I haven't seen the movie yet, it seems like I'd be cool with letting him become a regular part of the crew.

She's not a bad Vulcan, but she's a completely different Vulcan than Saavik was. Just the delivery of lines like "just like your father" didn't have the same warmth to them. I've never heard Curtis talk about the role, maybe Nimoy encouraged her to play it more stoic, but it is to me the single biggest misstep of the movie, and probably for Kirstie Alley's career too which fell off the rails almost immediately.

Fell off the rails? She got cast in Cheers as Shelly Longs replacement and lasted on the show till it ended in 92. How is that falling of the rails?

For TNG, I am assuming you are referring to "Q, Who" the episode where Q introduces the crew to the Borg. For other TNG Borg episodes: "Best of Both Worlds" (Parts 1 [season 3] & 2 [season 4]), "I, Borg" (Season 5), "Descent" (Parts 1 [season 6] &2[season 7]), and "First Contact" (movie).

You need to see Season 5 episode "First Duty" for this to make sense. In the episode, the Bajoran (along with Wesley) took part in a dangerous stunt that killed a fellow Starfleet Acadamy graduate and they all tried to cover up the truth. Picard discovered them. That was why he was hard on her, in addition to seeing if she was metally prepared for the mission that killed her. It is referenced in the episode, but it may not have made sense if you hadn't seen the other episode.

Which is why "Lower Decks" is a crap episode. No way would she get posted to the enterprise, the flagship of the federation, after that.

maharg

idspispopd
Fell off the rails? She got cast in Cheers as Shelly Longs replacement and lasted on the show till it ended in 92. How is that falling of the rails?

Haha seriously. You could say her career fell off the rails when she basically got stuck doing Look Who's Talking sequels, but after STII? No. Cheers was the best thing that ever happened to her.

I did see that one. It didn't make it better.

Would Picard ever ask Wesley to go on a suicide mission in order to prove his commitment to Starfleet? That was some straight up feudal shit.

Apparently he's called 0718 and is an augmented human (the actor stresses he's not a robot or android) and can integrate with the Enterprise itself. I mean, he just looks creepy but also bad ass. While I haven't seen the movie yet, it seems like I'd be cool with letting him become a regular part of the crew.

He's not really a proper character in the movie. I don't really remember him even having lines - just some random shots here and there, like most of the alien characters in the Abrams movies. It's cool that he's relatively fleshed-out, though. The problem with those movies is the stuff that actually made it into dialogue.

Darkmakaimura

He's not really a proper character in the movie. I don't really remember him even having lines - just some random shots here and there, like most of the alien characters in the Abrams movies. It's cool that he's relatively fleshed-out, though. The problem with those movies is the stuff that actually made it into dialogue.
From the scene I watched, all he says is "major hull damage, Captain" in a robotic voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8BYyBLsCUk&feature=player_detailpage#t=110

He's like one of those Star Wars characters in the background that you don't know about until you read script material or something. I dunno, I just imagine 0718 being a bad ass. Dude's interfaced with Enterprise and he just doesn't look like someone you'd want to mess with, despite being a nice guy.

Then again, I also loved the Xindi so my opinions aren't exactly popular.

antonz

Still makes no sense. Why would he request her? She participated in a cover up of a person's death. That came off as more of a throwaway line used to justify the plot of the episode.

Picard explains why he requests her. He knows she has no future in the Fleet or at least any future she has would be so marginalized under others command. He saw she worked hard and stuck through all the shit to try and better herself so he gave her a chance no one else would have.

Sucks for her that she just happens to be the species needed for the special mission so that ends her career real fast

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Picard explains why he requests her. He knows she has no future in the Fleet or at least any future she has would be so marginalized under others command. He saw she worked hard and stuck through all the shit to try and better herself so he gave her a chance no one else would have.

Sucks for her that she just happens to be the species needed for the special mission so that ends her career real fast

I can't remember the episode, but given how they go around surgically altering the bridge crew every time they land on an alien planet, did they actually need a biological Bajoran for the mission?

I can't remember the episode, but given how they go around surgically altering the bridge crew every time they land on an alien planet, did they actually need a biological Bajoran for the mission?

Surgical alterations don't seem to hold against deeper scans and DNA tests. Riker got caught in that one episode, and even the more primitive aliens saw through his disguise pretty easily.

antonz

The Episode was basically the good old fashion redemption story except unlike the usual where everything ends on a happy note it ends with her death.

She had already redeemed and proved herself to Picard by sticking with the academy while everyone else involved basically dropped out and went on to other things. She stayed and graduated even though she was the outcast everyone looked down on etc.

The mission gave Picard a chance for her to begin the redemption path to the Federation and other officers. Instead of the happy ending where she comes home the hero she dies and gets her redemption that way and the subplot of the junior officers is resolved as they grow up a bit more and realize its not all just a game and is serious

I was so happy a few episodes later when Ro was put in a somewhat similar situation but she ditched Picard instead. I was still pissed over Lower Decks so I yelled at the TV, "You go girl!"

I was in a "fuck da starfleet" mood.

So I was watching a clip from STID and haven't seen the movie yet. Very good chance I will be blind buying the Blu-ray combo pack for my b-day.

Anyways, this guy just seems awesome in a creepy kind of way.

UB8UNbu.jpg

Guy looks like an Observer from Fringe

maharg

idspispopd
Opposite for me. While I didn't agree with all the Maquis's actions, I definitely sided with them on more occasions than Starfleet.

The show kind of went out of its way to have you do so, really. Starfleet was pretty routinely awful in its handling of the Maquis. At least in TNG.

The show kind of went out of its way to have you do so, really. Starfleet was pretty routinely awful in its handling of the Maquis. At least in TNG.
It was all kind of summed up for me in this one line Dukat has in DS9. Sisko is accusing him of plotting to violate the treaty between the Cardassians and the Federation and Dukat just laughs and says something to the effect of: "Why would I want to do that? We got everything we wanted."

Fuchsdh

Opposite for me. While I didn't agree with all the Maquis's actions, I definitely sided with them on more occasions than Starfleet.
I guess my sympathy for a culture drops when they have the technology to basically have everything they wanted. They chose to rough it out and stay put, and that's where it got them. Plenty of planets out there guys.

Var

I guess my sympathy for a culture drops when they have the technology to basically have everything they wanted. They chose to rough it out and stay put, and that's where it got them. Plenty of planets out there guys.

I am sure that is how starfleet looked at it as well.

I see whether they decided to rough it or not irrelevant. They were Federation citizens who moved to, what were at the time, Federation planets. Then because the Federation would rather save face than actually fight for something, they give your home away to a people that supply their own settlers with weapons so you'll either be killed or forced out of your home.

I'd hate the Federation and want to fight back too.

Fuchsdh

I see whether they decided to rough it or not irrelevant. They were Federation citizens who moved to, what were at the time, Federation planets. Then because the Federation would rather save face than actually fight for something, they give your home away to a people that supply their own settlers with weapons so you'll either be killed or forced out of your home.

I'd hate the Federation and want to fight back too.

Saying the Federation doesn't fight for anything is rather disingenuous. How those colonists would have been better off with a full-scale war on those planets eludes me.

Saying the Federation doesn't fight for anything is rather disingenuous. How those colonists would have been better off with a full-scale war on those planets eludes me.
Never said they don't fight for anything. Only talking about this particular case. Also I'll just have to disagree on not fighting for one's home.

maharg

idspispopd

Since there was a war anyways, they might have been better off had they been defended by their own military instead of being left to use pitchforks.

Darkmakaimura

Got a stupid question.

Has there ever been another alien civilization that's had an alliance very similar to the United Federation of Planets in Star Trek? Like, I imagine somewhere out there there's a group of aliens that belong to some kind of federation like the humans, Klingons, etc. do. I mean, I know there's empires and whatnot, but I'm talking about something more like an exploratory group that co-exists.

brian577

Banned
Got a stupid question.

Has there ever been another alien civilization that's had an alliance very similar to the United Federation of Planets in Star Trek? Like, I imagine somewhere out there there's a group of aliens that belong to some kind of federation like the humans, Klingons, etc. do. I mean, I know there's empires and whatnot, but I'm talking about something more like an exploratory group that co-exists.

I actually was thinking about that the other day but the closest thing I could come up with was the Dominion but that's really more of an empire. The creators meant for it to be the Anti-Federation however.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In the books, the Romulans, Breen, and... someone else team up to essentially form an "anti-Federation".

But for the most part, all the empires are made up of single races. Perhaps you could argue that the Borg is a Federation of sorts? lol

Got a stupid question.

Maybe The Xindi from Enterprise season 3...

maharg

idspispopd
I actually was thinking about that the other day but the closest thing I could come up with was the Dominion but that's really more of an empire. The creators meant for it to be the Anti-Federation however.

I think they succeeded. At least as an opposite to the Federation of DS9. Section 31 is basically the Federation equivalent of the changelings.

Less snarky, most of the Dominion doesn't really seem to have much to do with the Founders, from what we see of them before the war starts, so I think it more or less works.

Walshicus

Got a stupid question.

I seem to remember reading something about a proposed TV series that would have been set on a Starship exploring space near such a power. It was supposed to be analogous to the US / EU relationship between Federation and whatever these guys were supposed to be. Anyone else remember reading that?

Darkmakaimura

I seem to remember reading something about a proposed TV series that would have been set on a Starship exploring space near such a power. It was supposed to be analogous to the US / EU relationship between Federation and whatever these guys were supposed to be. Anyone else remember reading that?
Interesting.

I'm wondering if the series is dead in the water regarding another spin off? I mean, at this point I don't see them continuing on with the Prime Universe anymore, not that I am personally against it. But, with the success of the movies and from this point on, I see the focus being put on the Alternate Reality and it would be difficult to create a TV series based in this more visually elaborate reality.

Fuchsdh

Interesting.

I'm wondering if the series is dead in the water regarding another spin off? I mean, at this point I don't see them continuing on with the Prime Universe anymore, not that I am personally against it. But, with the success of the movies and from this point on, I see the focus being put on the Alternate Reality and it would be difficult to create a TV series based in this more visually elaborate reality.

I don't think the prime universe is dead, because I honestly don't think the differences between them matter to the regular audience and the core will watch it, especially if it's prime. They know the characters not the setting.

Darkmakaimura

I don't think the prime universe is dead, because I honestly don't think the differences between them matter to the regular audience and the core will watch it, especially if it's prime. They know the characters not the setting.
You know, I'm still confused regarding the Prime and Alternate Universe in the respects that the Alternate Universe seemed to have come about by Nero and Spock traveling back in time through the black hole.

However, by this logic wouldn't there already be Alternate Universes in most ST? Wouldn't most of the ST movies and episodes already take place in an alternate universe? I mean, Borg traveling back in time and assimilating Earth with Picard helping Cochrane, as just one of many, many examples of time travel in the movies and tv show. So what separates Prime Universe from the Abrams alternate one when they've done stuff like this so much already anyhow making most of the ST episodes "alternate" anyhow?

Top Bottom