• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Henchmen21 said:
No better, No worse than Abrahms trek really.
Eh. Despite Nemesis having an awesome space battle (something Star Trek 2009 lacked), overall, I thought Star Trek 2009 was the better movie. But, really, that's not saying much.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I rewatched the newest Trek since it popped up on Netflix the other day. I had forgotten how gripping those first ten minutes were.

SpoonyBard said:
At least Abrahms didn't try to remake Wrath of Khan once again...
I thought the crazy villain who blamed one of the main characters for the loss of his people/family, let it fester for a few decades, then decided to try and take it out on the galaxy at large (starting with things important to main character) seemed a bit familiar.

EDIT: Also mind altering head slugs. And using a body of gas for aid in a surprise attack.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I thought the crazy villain who blamed one of the main characters for the loss of his people/family, let it fester for a few decades, then decided to try and take it out on the galaxy at large (starting with things important to main character) seemed a bit familiar.

Well... shit, you're right :( It felt somehow different though, there was some originality...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
SpoonyBard said:
At least Abrahms didn't try to remake Wrath of Khan once again...

I wouldn't say that with all the hints being droped that Khan will be in the sequel. Hope Abrahms is just trolling fans.

Nemesis was pretty much a remake of Wrath of Khan right down to the
a main character but may/may not be resurrected in the future
. What a horrible film/villain ... no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

All of the TNG films, with the exception of First Contact felt like a 2 hour episode than a feature film to me.

DrForester said:
I wouldn't say that with all the hints being droped that Khan will be in the sequel. Hope Abrahms is just trolling fans.

Ugh please no, Ricardo Montalban pretty much Khan a legit villain, don't see anyone else pulling that off.

Tobor

DrForester said:

Same here. Klingons, JJ, proper villainous Klingons. It's the only way.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
time for Star Trek to die off for another half decade...

always-t.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I mentioned this to DrForester earlier, but I watched "Caretaker" last night for the first time since about 2002. So I've maybe seen it 4 or 5 times including the original airing.

It sucked. Really bad. Incredibly shitty matte work and effects, weak acting (particularly from the three Maquis characters), slow to get going, and the sets don't look half as good as they remember them.

I only mention this because this wasn't what I was expecting. I don't think Voyager was a great show, but I remember highly enjoying the pilot at the time. By the same token, I've rewatched bother "Emissary" and "Encounter at Farpoint" within the last 12 months, and they both hold up much better despite also suffering from typical Trek S1 jitters.

So is it just me, or is "Caretaker" pretty poorly made?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Stumpokapow said:

No I'll agree with this. I liked Voyager overall but those first two seasons were rough.

People bitch about them relying on the Borg but I'll take "Scorpion" as the spiritual second pilot of the show.

That said, I feel the same way about "Encounter at Farpoint" vs. "Best of Both Worlds"...

Dizzy-4U

I'm currently watching the final season of TNG for the first time. I don't want it to end!!!

There was one episode so far that left me very angry. The one where the show is focused on the cadetes.
I don't know why, but the death of Sito pissed me off. I didn't like her, but oh man, arrrgghhh!
. Can't explain why i feel this way.

Also, the Masks episode, WTF was that?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Stumpokapow said:
I mentioned this to DrForester earlier, but I watched "Caretaker" last night for the first time since about 2002. So I've maybe seen it 4 or 5 times including the original airing.

It sucked. Really bad. Incredibly shitty matte work and effects, weak acting (particularly from the three Maquis characters), slow to get going, and the sets don't look half as good as they remember them.

I only mention this because this wasn't what I was expecting. I don't think Voyager was a great show, but I remember highly enjoying the pilot at the time. By the same token, I've rewatched bother "Emissary" and "Encounter at Farpoint" within the last 12 months, and they both hold up much better despite also suffering from typical Trek S1 jitters.

Emissary >>>>>>>>>> Encounter at Farpoint (if only for the ship separation and Q trial stuff) > Caretaker

Kai

Ok I LOVED TNG but I never watched DS9. I don't have time to watch the whole series right now - but if I had to watch - let's say 10-25 episodes in order to get the gist of the whole series (i.e absolute best episodes that also carry along the overarching storyline the most) what should I watch?

maharg

idspispopd
I don't think you can really do DS9 up like that. You could watch the earlier episodes, which are mostly trashy (and imo incredibly boring) one-offs, or you could watch the episodes once the arc really kicked in, but you'd probably be lost if you only watched 10-25 of them.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Kai said:
Ok I LOVED TNG but I never watched DS9. I don't have time to watch the whole series right now - but if I had to watch - let's say 10-25 episodes in order to get the gist of the whole series (i.e absolute best episodes that also carry along the overarching storyline the most) what should I watch?

It really is a whole different animal than TNG. There are a lot of one off episodes that build the characters that you come to care about in the big arcs, so it's tough to say watch these and skip those.

maharg said:
I don't think you can really do DS9 up like that. You could watch the earlier episodes, which are mostly trashy (and imo incredibly boring) one-offs, or you could watch the episodes once the arc really kicked in, but you'd probably be lost if you only watched 10-25 of them.
Seriously. Just the last chunk of highly serial episodes would take up ~10.

Coldsnap

This has been bugging me, I'm watching TNG for the first time AND EFFING LOVING IT! I am curious if Captian Riker is wearing a toupee or not? My friend doesn't seem to think so, I do.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Coldsnap said:
This has been bugging me, I'm watching TNG for the first time AND EFFING LOVING IT! I am curious if Captian Riker is wearing a toupee or not? My friend doesn't seem to think so, I do.

You mean Commander Riker? No it's not a wig (or it's a really really good one that no one ever picked up on)

On the other hand, actor Brent Spiner who plays the major co-starring role of Lieutenant Commander Data, an android, was not as comfortable with me. He was extremely polite about it but finally after discussing ideas for the film over lunch, he leaned forward and said,

“I’m kind of worried that you don’t know how to write my character.”

:lol

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Perhaps it's too much to ask of him to denounce his own work, but I feel that there isn't much room for equivocating at the end. He tried to make something banal into something profound. Aranofsky did the fountain of youth angle years later, and it was much, much better.

And yet I feel that the story could have worked if he had included the Dominion War angle from the beginning. The setup for the film is awful, and it is something from which it never quite recovers. Introducing a "war-weary Picard", however, might have given audiences a reason to care. Bu they took a wrong position from the start, trying to be too whimsical like Star Trek 4, even though the final product did not resemble it in any way whatsoever.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Here's a Trek comic I did for the old college newspaper:

fa03.gif

Also used to work for the local UPN affiliate, so I did a couple of spots for Voyager. On two of them I used some music from the soundtrack of Star Trek: Armada. Find 'em here:

http://www.danalaratta.com/trek.html

I used to post and argue on trekweb.com all the time under the name Imbarkus. Sad how such vibrant online trek-focused communities have all faded away.

I read the Piller book and recommend it; it's a well-written, comprehensive, very frank look inside the process of writing and developing a studio franchise movie. And proof that even bad movies are made with the very best of intentions.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Gary Whitta said:
I read the Piller book and recommend it; it's a well-written, comprehensive, very frank look inside the process of writing and developing a studio franchise movie. And proof that even bad movies are made with the very best of intentions.

I wonder if anyone would say the same for "Threshold".... :D

Gary Whitta said:

I read that too, and now finally managed to rewatch Insurrection. Ok, now I understand some of the weirder things that happen in that movie, but that doesn't make the movie any better, unfortunately. Insurrection would be a pretty good two-parter episode, if some of the action scenes were cut shorter and there was more dialogue and not just silly one-liners. It's still better than Nemesis and Final Frontier, but that's not much.

WillyFive

Teh Hamburglar said:
I saw the episode where Kes gives Neelix one of her lungs. Chalk that to another plot point thats never, ever brought up again.

?

Wasn't that big a deal. Didn't McCoy give somebody a new liver or something while time traveling to the 80's?

Zenith

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:
I saw the episode where Kes gives Neelix one of her lungs. Chalk that to another plot point thats never, ever brought up again.

That's the least of Kes's worries. Ocampans live only 9 years, are fertile once in their life for 52 hours and typically are only pregnant with one baby. How the fuck did their species survive?

Willy105 said:
?

Wasn't that big a deal. Didn't McCoy give somebody a new liver or something while time traveling to the 80's?

Thats not my point. Neelix is put into a lot of situations where one lung would fuck him up but nothings ever said about it.

Slayven

I slogged through the first book in the Titan series and it reminded me how annoying Troi can be. And that Romulan politics are boring, for the simply fact every expects to be backstabbed or to be doing a backstabbed.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Watching Star Trek VI on Blu-Ray

Can not unsee TNG sets now that someone told me about them

Engineering = Engineering
Dining Hall = Conference Room
Federation President Office = Ten Forward

DrForester said:
Watchign Star Trek VI on Blu-Ray

Can not unsee TNG sets now that someone told me about them

Engineering = Engineering
Dining Hall = Conference Room
Federation President Office = Ten Forward
Whaa--? They used sets from TNG in the movie?

Gonna have to rewatch the movie sometime soon now.:lol

kharma45

Dax01 said:
Whaa--? They used sets from TNG in the movie?

Gonna have to rewatch the movie sometime soon now.:lol

You never noticed? :lol They even use TNG sets in ST V, but in ST VI it's pure TNG, right down to the corridors.

Sure in the TNG films sickbay was just the same one used in Voyager.

Top Bottom