• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Dizzy-4U

Gary Whitta said:
If made-up stuff bothers you you should probably avoid any episode that features warp drive, subspace, replicators, holodecks or transporters. ie all of them.
It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I like Q a lot. I missed the part where they explained how the ship moved so I was like in disbelief trying to find the explanation.

Most Trek science has some bit of truth to it. TNG had technical advisors that would make sure their shit would actually work. It wasn't until Voyager where it went from science fiction to MAGIC.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Teh Hamburglar said:
Most Trek science has some bit of truth to it. TNG had technical advisors that would make sure their shit would actually work. It wasn't until Voyager where it went from science fiction to MAGIC.

Well, except the Transporter. Which was a last ditch effort to start filming on time when the model for the Shuttlecraft wasn't ready yet and they had to think of something :D

Slayven

For those 3 people( me included) that care about Star Trek's EU, the first book of the Typhon Pact came out today. In it the Federation sends their number one super soldier to take on the Breen.

Slayven said:
For those 3 people( me included) that care about Star Trek's EU, the first book of the Typhon Pact came out today. In it the Federation sends their number one super soldier to take on the Breen.

Is it
wesley2.jpg

?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Gary Whitta said:
Fuck! I'm much happier believing he's in a totally different dimension where he can't fucking irritate me.

Other than "The Game" (which was a crappy episode in non-Wesley related ways) I didn't think Wesley was that bad once he was not a main cast member and didn't mind his later appearances. "First Duty" made up for many things.

MC Safety

DrForester said:
Other than "The Game" (which was a crappy episode in non-Wesley related ways) I didn't think Wesley was that bad once he was not a main cast member and didn't mind his later appearances. "First Duty" made up for many things.

Wesley was poison. Wesley was never anything but poison. And our lives became better when the traveler took him away.

Holtz

DrForester said:
What about filmed for traveling Star Trek exhibition? :D

WesCrusherTitan.jpg
I'm so happy the books don't consider that crap, and Wesley is still doing whatever with the Traveler and is not anywhere near the Titan. :lol

Lard

Banned
Dax01 said:
Ooh. Will watch this.

Me too.

Curious to see stuff about DS9 and Enterprise.

Dizzy-4U said:
Just finished season 2. Garak is AWESOME. That is all.

Not as awesome as Morn but close enough.

Just started Season 4. I haven't watched the series since its original run.

Zenith

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Just got a confirmation mail from Amazon that the Haynes Enterprise manual is shipping out!

will need feedback asap.

trekkies are saying it's awful, but they said the Starship Spotter Guide was awful.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
DrForester said:

UPDATE: Trekmovie.com has apparently found out that while all Captains are covered (including Pine) Kate Mulgrew is the only one who actually participated. Much is done with other cast members.

Update 2 They are currently Marathoning old trek documentaries. Star Trek: 30 years and beyond is on now, followed by Beyond the Final Frontier, and Captain's Log.

Slayven

DrForester said:
UPDATE: Trekmovie.com has apparently found out that while all Captains are covered (including Pine) Kate Mulgrew is the only one who actually participated. Much is done with other cast members.

Update 2 They are currently Marathoning old trek documentaries. Star Trek: 30 years and beyond is on now, followed by Beyond the Final Frontier, and Captain's Log.
Ugggghhhh that sucks.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I forgot that 30 years and beyond was done shortly after Generations came out and everyone's still alive, even Deforest Kelly is there.

Dizzy-4U

Started watching season 4 of DS9 after a little break. I've only seen 2 episodes but you guys are right, it became a lot better.

Many tears were shed in "The Visitor" episode. It's probably my favorite of the series so far. Very emotional stuff.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Slayven said:
Was there any actor that resented their time on a Star Trek series?

On the show? I don't think so, least not publicly, except for some comments from Enterprise cast about the finale. Stories told by the cast all seem to indicate a nice camaraderie. Some have been less than thrilled with the fan culture, or just avoid it for other reasons (Avery Brooks for example rarely does conventions).

spidye

DrForester said:
On the show? I don't think so, least not publicly, except for some comments from Enterprise cast about the finale. Some have been less than thrilled with the fan culture, or just avoid it for other reasons (Avery Brooks for example rarely does conventions).
do you have some infos on this? I would like to know what they thought about it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
spidye said:
do you have some infos on this? I would like to know what they thought about it.

Generally, they hated it. Two of the cast (Trip and T'Pol) didn't even attend the wrap party. Jolene Blalock called it "appalling" in an interview. It was apparently less to do with it being a terrible episode and more that the finale of their show was all about two guest stars from an older series.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/070305_02.shtml

Walshicus

DrForester said:
On the show? I don't think so, least not publicly, except for some comments from Enterprise cast about the finale. Stories told by the cast all seem to indicate a nice camaraderie. Some have been less than thrilled with the fan culture, or just avoid it for other reasons (Avery Brooks for example rarely does conventions).
Wasn't Jolene Blalock pretty annoyed with the ending to Enterprise? I seem to remember reading that.

jman2050

DrForester said:
Generally, they hated it. Two of the cast (Trip and T'Pol) didn't even attend the wrap party. Jolene Blalock called it "appalling" in an interview. It was apparently less to do with it being a terrible episode and more that the finale of their show was all about two guest stars from an older series.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/070305_02.shtml

You know it's bad when I can't decide out of five distinct elements of the finale which one made me hate the episode the most.

I imagine every cast member even besides those two were embarrassed to some degree to be a part of that mess.

benjipwns

Banned
Jonathan Frakes has been negative about it too:
I've said this publicly, but I thought everyone on Enterprise, especially Scott (Bakula), was so gracious about having actors from another show come in and put his show to rest. It was sold to me by Rick (Berman) as a "valentine to the fans," and it was anything but. It was, I think, one of his rare mistakes. It didn't work on so many levels. I don't think the Enterprise cast was happy to have us. I'm frankly not sure the fans wanted to see us there. It was great, obviously, to be with Marina again and a lot of the crew were people I'd worked with on Next Gen. So the fun part was there, but the legacy of it... I don't think it was our finest hour.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Slayven said:

Sweet, I need to run down to the book store and pick this up tomorrow.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DrForester said:
He's working in Engineering on the Titan with Captain Riker.
Which of course makes no sense at all; not only was his name shit after getting that dude killed, he just dropped the fuck out of Starfleet Academy.

Lard

Banned
Slayven said:
Was there any actor that resented their time on a Star Trek series?

Robert Beltran continually bitched about the writing while on Voyager, although he had good reason to.

Lard said:
Robert Beltran continually bitched about the writing while on Voyager, although he had good reason to.

Alexander Siddig also reportedly did not like the direction they took his character in DS9 but I think he's over it now.

Dead Man

I'm not a big trek fan, but when I saw this I though it might provoke a humorous response.

Source: News.com.au

dbMK2.jpg

YESTERDAY, a news.com.au article incorrectly stated that the Star Trek starship USS Enterprise-E, otherwise known as model NNC-1701-E, was the successor to Captain Kirk's original USS Enterprise.

It has since been brought to our attention that the NNC-1701-E in fact came two models after Captain Kirk retired and was under the command of Captain Jean Luc Picard.

Read the original, poorly-researched article here

User "Your Mum's Lunch" led the charge of those who correctly pointed out that after losing the original Enterprise to the Klingons, Captain Kirk was given the Excelsior Class Enterprise-B as a stop-gap measure until the refit of the Enterprise-A was completed.

Kirk's last ship was the Ambassador Class Enterprise-C.

Enterprise-D and Enterprise-E were in fact, the first of the Galaxy Class models and were under the command of Captain Picard.

There were also some concerns about whether the incorrect use of the term "hyperspace" in describing warp drive technology may harm the original Star Trek concept, particularly the books.

News.com.au apologises unreservedly for the error.

There was no intention whatsoever to suggest Captain Kirk may have commanded the Galaxy Class Starships Enterprise-D and Enterprise-E.

Any damage to the Star Trek brand incurred by the use of the term "hyperspace" is regretful.

No malice was intended and a correction to the original article will be made.

We also agree that Patrick Stewart is a handsome man, a sentiment expressed by several readers.

Addendum - We're also sorry for any errors in this apology.

Top Bottom