• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Cheerilee

Henchmen21 said:
Not really gutsy considering that the JAG officer their said that had he not done it (like he said he wouldn't) she would rule summarily against Data.
Would you be able to have sex with your own mother to save her life? Bearded Riker would have the guts to do it.

*Riker grin*
*Riker frown*

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
ruby_onix said:
Would you be able to have sex with your own mother to save her life? Bearded Riker would have the guts to do it.

*Riker grin*
*Riker frown*
4CJtJ.gif

Bootaaay said:
Sure seems like there is. Maybe because the Bajorans were such a painfully dull race of humanoids - was it wrong that I found myself continually rooting for the Cardassians (before the writers turned them into inept comedy villains)? The whole Emissary arc is, in my opinion, the worst aspect of Deep Space 9 and the show could have been improved exponentially by it's removal.
I just finished watching season 5, and no, there's not. There's only one episode that deals with it that heavily (and another to a lesser extent for the introduction of the Pah-Wraiths). Not sure why you're talking about Cardassians as a race were turned villains in the end, considering how much they became the victims and the heroes toward the end – a change reflected in the growth of Damar. Unless you're talking about Dukat by himself, then I disagree.

I was just listening again to Jerry Goldsmith's signature theme from Star Trek: The Motion Picture (the piece that would go on to be the defining theme for all the movies and TV series to follow) and it made me realize, no matter how long the Trek franchise continues for, the music will never get better than it was right here. Sheer perfection!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO3YTmADY8w

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Gary Whitta said:
I was just listening again to Jerry Goldsmith's signature theme from Star Trek: The Motion Picture (the piece that would go on to be the defining theme for all the movies and TV series to follow) and it made me realize, no matter how long the Trek franchise continues for, the music will never get better than it was right here. Sheer perfection!

My only real disappointment of the new Star Trek movie was that they didn't use this.

DrForester said:
My only real disappointment of the new Star Trek movie was that they didn't use this.
I love Giacchino but I didn't like any of the music in the new movie. I understand the need to do something new and re-invent, but some themes are just too iconic - and awesome - to just be disposed of. Like Williams' themes for Superman and Star Wars and Raiders, Star Trek just isn't the same without that music.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Gary Whitta said:
I love Giacchino but I didn't like any of the music in the new movie. I understand the need to do something new and re-invent, but some themes are just too iconic - and awesome - to just be disposed of. Like Williams' themes for Superman and Star Wars and Raiders, Star Trek just isn't the same without that music.

I liked the new Star Trek's music. Even enjoyed the main theme. But it just didn't stick with me like that. Not nearly as memorable.

maharg

idspispopd
Gary Whitta said:

It got better in the very next movie, imo. The Motion Picture theme is iconic, and will forever *be* Star Trek, but Horner's themes are just great music.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
As a side note due to after-Christmas sales.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U50Y08/?tag=neogaf0e-20

2009 Enterprise was this years Halmark ornament.

Been collecting these for many years now, and they're always nice to look at. Sadly over the past few years they've stopped having them plug into lights so they're always on, but instead come on when you hit a button. Plus though is that you can use them more places.

Jasoco

Banned
DrForester said:
Been collecting these for many years now, and they're always nice to look at. Sadly over the past few years they've stopped having them plug into lights so they're always on, but instead come on when you hit a button. Plus though is that you can use them more places.
My grandmother bought me those for years. But for some reason she gave up. I'm kinda disappointed. I had so many of them. Including one with Spock wishing a Merry Christmas from a shuttlecraft.

Dizzy-4U

I've been watching some more DS9 lately. The retake of DS9 on season 6 was pretty neat. It would seem that the series got a budget increase. The last episode I watched was "Waltz" and god damn, Dukat is fucking insane. I like it.

Loving so far what I watched, much better than season 5 for me (although that episode where Quark has to rescue his mother was pretty dumb).

Markster

Dizzy-4U said:
The last episode I watched was "Waltz" and god damn, Dukat is fucking insane. I like it.
Ugh, that was the episode that ruined Dukat.

Until then, he had been an engaging adversary. You could see his side, and understand him and his motives. After that, he was a 1 dimensional cartoon villian.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I quite liked the Star Trek 2009 soundtrack, so I may be a bit biased, but I think that a good justification for the lack of reuse of most motion picture themes could be due to the movie's role as a reboot (or in-universe, the creation of a new parallel universe). In short, they're not there yet. The use of the original series' intro as the movie's ending was just ideal to me.

Facism

anybody in the uk drowning in Star Trek via Channel One? DS9, Enterprise, Voyager and TNG between 1pm-5pm.

And they just shuffle the order of the shows after they complete and restart from the beginning :lol

Gary Whitta said:

The only good to have come out of Voyager, was Goldsmith's excellent theme for the show.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Facism said:
anybody in the uk drowning in Star Trek via Channel One? DS9, Enterprise, Voyager and TNG between 1pm-5pm.

And they just shuffle the order of the shows after they complete and restart from the beginning :lol

I wish there was a broadcast channel that did that near me. :(

Clevinger

Markster said:
Ugh, that was the episode that ruined Dukat.

Until then, he had been an engaging adversary. You could see his side, and understand him and his motives. After that, he was a 1 dimensional cartoon villian.

Totally agree. The episode before that tied up his character perfectly (and if the show was Babylon 5, we could have seen some further interesting development of his character), but I guess they (Moore?) felt the need to shove his character into the crazy perpetual antagonist slot for the rest of the show.

Hated that episode and the rest of the stories with him.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I remember it being mentioned somewhere that in the prologue comic for Trek 2009 they gave a better explanation for the threat to the galaxy then "a supernova", but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone remind me what that was?

I ask because my eleven year old sister just called the movie out on it, and I want to explain, hehe.

kharma45

Facism said:

I've them all on series record :lol

The_Technomancer said:
So I remember it being mentioned somewhere that in the prologue comic for Trek 2009 they gave a better explanation for the threat to the galaxy then "a supernova", but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone remind me what that was?

I ask because my eleven year old sister just called the movie out on it, and I want to explain, hehe.

It was called Star Trek: Countdown

Edit - beaten to it.

The Technomancer

XiaNaphryz said:
There's a rather detailed summary of the comic over at Memory Alpha if you go check.
Okay, reading over this its still completely implausible. Romulus was in a completely different system, and by devouring a few planets in its nova the star gains enough energy to expand light-years in diameter and devour other star systems?

benjipwns

Banned
The writers of the movie didn't write the comics, they basically told the guys who did to "figure it out" and have since said it's not even canon in their view.

It was always stupid to try to tie it to the other continuity.

B.K.

I've read that the director of Star Trek 2 didn't come back for Star Trek 3 because of changes Paramount made to 2's ending without his knowledge. What was 2's original ending?

The Technomancer

benjipwns said:
The writers of the movie didn't write the comics, they basically told the guys who did to "figure it out" and have since said it's not even canon in their view.

It was always stupid to try to tie it to the other continuity.
I mean, literally all I would ask for would be some kind of pseudo-plausible threat to the galaxy. Make it a giant space-time anomaly, we know the Trek universe is rife with those things. But...a nova? Really?

antonz

The_Technomancer said:
I mean, literally all I would ask for would be some kind of pseudo-plausible threat to the galaxy. Make it a giant space-time anomaly, we know the Trek universe is rife with those things. But...a nova? Really?

The Remans are to blame for the Star going nova. It was an artifically induced explosion with some crazy star trek tech that goes crazy

Tobor

B.K. said:
I've read that the director of Star Trek 2 didn't come back for Star Trek 3 because of changes Paramount made to 2's ending without his knowledge. What was 2's original ending?
He objected to the scene that was added of Spocks coffin landing on Genesis, if I recall.

Anyone read Meyer's memoirs about Trek? Worth reading?

The Technomancer

antonz said:
The Remans are to blame for the Star going nova. It was an artifically induced explosion with some crazy star trek tech that goes crazy
Yeah, just the idea of an expanding explosion that reaches several hundred light years in diameter...actually, hold on, that violates lightspeed given the timeframe's involved, which considering that the star is a natural object made of gas is completely nonsensical even for Star Trek.
Argh, normally I can just shrug it off when Geordi goes on about Nanitachions or whatever, but this one really bugs me.

karobit

B.K. said:

Nicholas Meyer (director of Star Trek II) went into this in his book that came out last year (I read it for free!) but I don't think they ever even approached him for the third film. He was upset about the changes they made (and shot without him), which consisted of seeing the photon torpedo casing / coffin / eyeglasses case containing Spock on the rejuvenated Genesis Planet. Even he admitted afterwards that a more hopeful ending made for a better film. It worked out for Nimoy because w/o the changed ending, they couldn't have brought Spock back and he couldn't have gotten his break directing.

And then the world would be forever without Three Men and a Baby.

Tobor said:

It's not bad but it isn't what I'd call necessary. If you're interested in his films, it's pretty great. Led me to finally watching Time After Time, which is pretty good. Also, after reading the chapters on The Day After, I spent a sleepless night looking up documentaries about nuclear war and getting super depressed. Ugh.

Zenith

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, just the idea of an expanding explosion that reaches several hundred light years in diameter...actually, hold on, that violates lightspeed given the timeframe's involved, which considering that the star is a natural object made of gas is completely nonsensical even for Star Trek.
Argh, normally I can just shrug it off when Geordi goes on about Nanitachions or whatever, but this one really bugs me.

the comic mentions how it's one of the oldest & largest stars and that its supernova enters subspace that allows it to travel so far. also I think there was some BS about it absorbing mass from planets to "power" the shockwave further.

it's wank, it's the closest you'll get to an explanation.

Phoenix

The_Technomancer said:

What, your brain doesn't have the off switch necessary to deal with the massive plot holes and tech-trash that glues the movie together?

Phoenix

Tobor said:
He objected to the scene that was added of Spocks coffin landing on Genesis, if I recall.

And rightly so. It always amazes me that for something that actually contains a fair amount of reasonable science fiction they always throw in enough nonsense to break suspension of disbelief. The movie would have ended well enough without the landing scene - but instead we're left to wonder why a photo torpedo which is designed to impact starships would somehow survive reentry and land (apparently cleanly) on a planet and have no signs of damage or anything else.

Its silly unnecessary scenes like that or of Nero camped out within the singularity that make things in the Trek universe wacky because many Trekkies will then try to come up with some bizzaro explanation for how it happened.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Disclaimer: I ain't a hardcore Trek fan, though it is growing on me. I'm late to the party as they say.

That said, Enterprise is the first series that I have sat down and begun to watch all the way through. I'm halfway into the 2nd season and while it does exhibit so many missed opportunities I don't hate it by any means. I like the characters, except for Archer who behaves like a child at times. Yeah okay I get it, he is supposed to be a wide eyed naive explorer. A symbol for our species at that time. Still, he is constantly putting his ship and crew at risk when he makes some of the decisions he does. Just down right careless at times.

I like T'pol the most, she reminds me of Data in the sense that she is always at odds with understanding human nature. She is adorable at one moment, sympathetic the next. Perhaps not surprisingly, the only one who appears to exhibit any common sense at times.

I heard that the series really picks up around the 3rd season which is sad because it was too little too late. I also hear that it ends on a real sour note. This show had no business on UPN, the same network that brought us...."Homeboys in Outer Space" (really that show was offensive on so many levels independent from it being borderline racist). Hell the show was doomed the moment the pilot aired. Just a complete demographic incompatibility.

Note: Pardon the rambling, disorganized post. Just thought I'd give some first impressions.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Topher said:
I heard that the series really picks up around the 3rd season which is sad because it was too little too late. I also hear that it ends on a real sour note. This show had no business on UPN, the same network that brought us...."Homeboys in Outer Space" (really that show was offensive on so many levels independent from it being borderline racist). Hell the show was doomed the moment the pilot aired. Just a complete demographic incompatibility.

As a note, it ends on a sour note and that's the very last episode. Season 4 otherwise was pretty good.

Topher said:
This show had no business on UPN, the same network that brought us...."Homeboys in Outer Space"

Well I dont know if it would have worked out well anywhere else with how poorly it did. Despite whatever network it was on, the Trek fans were going to watch it. But really Voyager lasted as long as it did really only because it was on UPN. It's ratings dropped pretty heavily from it's initial seasons and on any other channel it likely would have been canceled sooner, but it was even with the crappy ratings the channels best rated show pretty much. With each series doing worse ratings wise than the previous one, Enterprise had really nowhere to go at the time but UPN and even then, it couldn't last. Doubt it would have done better on another network.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Topher said:
Disclaimer: I ain't a hardcore Trek fan, though it is growing on me. I'm late to the party as they say.

That said, Enterprise is the first series that I have sat down and begun to watch all the way through. I'm halfway into the 2nd season and while it does exhibit so many missed opportunities I don't hate it by any means. I like the characters, except for Archer who behaves like a child at times. Yeah okay I get it, he is supposed to be a wide eyed naive explorer. A symbol for our species at that time. Still, he is constantly putting his ship and crew at risk when he makes some of the decisions he does. Just down right careless at times.

I like T'pol the most, she reminds me of Data in the sense that she is always at odds with understanding human nature. She is adorable at one moment, sympathetic the next. Perhaps not surprisingly, the only one who appears to exhibit any common sense at times.

Note: Pardon the rambling, disorganized post. Just thought I'd give some first impressions.
Archer gets better eventually. EVENTUALLY.

Season 4 was the best season overall, but I think the last third of season 3 is the single best part of the show.

Do not watch the very last episode. DO NOT WATCH THE VERY LAST EPISODE. It's called "These Are the Voyages" and it is GARBAGE.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just finished watching the first 2 Star Trek movies for the first time. Wow, the original was really cool. I hold it up there with Tarkovysky's Solaris and Kubrick's 2001 as a cerebral science fiction adventure. Wrath of Kahn was admittedly the better blockbuster, though. Way more action and drama, much more fitting as something that'd be shown in theatres.

Going to watch part III and IV next, then skip ahead to the 2009 remake (which I saw in theatres, but haven't seen again since).

benjipwns

Banned
Sub_Level said:
Going to watch part III and IV next, then skip ahead to the 2009 remake (which I saw in theatres, but haven't seen again since).
I wouldn't skip VI so you have the whole TOS set. (And my personal favorite/best Trek film.)

But it was weird how they went straight from The Voyage Home to The Undiscovered Country like that.

Top Bottom