• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

JoshuaJSlone said:
Definitely a key thing that makes me anti-Janeway, and anti- the people who put up no objection. If Tuvok's death would save two others, no way in hell would Janeway force him to do it. She tried to make a point about how Tuvok and Neelix would give their lives for others, but it made it seem like Catch-22.

Janeway: These guys would die to save people!
Tuvix: So allow them to do that, for me their "offspring".
Janeway: Your not wanting to die makes it all the more clear you shouldn't live.

An-Det said:
Tuvix's plea on the bridge when they came to take him away was well done and heartfelt. I was really glad that the Doctor refused to cooperate, but Janeway was out for blood in that episode.

I can definitely see Janeway's side of the issue, but it just seemed to go against the Starfleet way of doing things to force Tuvix to die like that. It wasn't something I'd expect a Starfleet captain to do.

a176

Banned
so how would you guys like this as the next enterprise

011.jpg

It looks like a kind-of weird far-future design, insanely stretched in width to make it look even more bizarre.

Here's how the image looks halved or even thirded in width:
2moyskm.jpg

I just watched Dark Frontier out of not having anything better to watch and besides all the obvious Borg shit we have one incredible piece of shitty writing.

Seven of Nine has been told she is an individual. That she chooses her own path and her desires and wants are important. So in the coda we get a scene between Janeway and Seven in the cargo bay.

Janeway: Its time to regenerate.

Seven: Not yet. I have work to complete.

Janeway: No. Now. *stupid smile*

Seven should have smacked Janeway for telling her to go to bed.

Cheerilee

Teh Hamburglar said:
I dont think Neelix counts as a crewman.
Tuvok was easily worth two or more crewmen. Neelix was basically worth negative-one crewman (sometimes a little better). Tuvix was one humanoid life.

Tuvok+Neelix = more than 1 crewman, 2 humanoids.
Tuvix = 1 humanoid.

Tuvok is Janeway's oldest and best friend on the ship. If she lets her feelings get involved, nobody on the ship stands a chance against Tuvok.

Tuvix was doomed.

benjipwns

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:
Seven of Nine has been told she is an individual. That she chooses her own path and her desires and wants are important. So in the coda we get a scene between Janeway and Seven in the cargo bay.
The entire arc is like that. Seven does something, it doesn't follow Starfleet procedure or some other protocol so Janeway (or occasionally The Doctor/Tuvok) tell her to get her shit together and act like everyone else already!

Look at the whole "socialization" arc which is basically them trying to make Seven accept a standard set of morals/behaviors/etc. on the ship and then be an individual only within those. When she resists like over small talk or dancing or whatever they blame HER for not conforming.

I should note I totally understand why it was done that way for story reasons (I mean they'd never let her taste food for the first time in decades, love it, and decide she wants to replace Neelix as the cook for example), but when as noted you combine it with the "you're an individual you can choose for yourself!" speeches it collapses in on itself.

benjipwns

Banned
I thought Abrams wouldn't allow TV shows while he does the movies?

And wasn't Praxis exploding like almost a century before this?

antonz

benjipwns said:
I thought Abrams wouldn't allow TV shows while he does the movies?

And wasn't Praxis exploding like almost a century before this?
Gap of about 80 years yeah. I think the idea is the Klingons are tired of to a degree relying on the Federation. Klingons were basically forced to beg for help or lose their homeworld

benjipwns

Banned
How many people have played the Elite Force games?

I randomly started replaying them (despite the hardships, thank you Q3 engine for supporting 16:9 despite the effort) and am currently halfway through the second game but I still got a kick from exploring Voyager and the Enterprise-E. Probably the total Trekkie in me but I can't help but wander the bridge and see the view from each station. Plus the ready room. And the stuff in the Voyager expansion. Being able to see and be "on" the bridges is just total geek out. Sadly.

It's too bad both games have sections where it's not clear what you're exactly supposed to do. EF II seems even worse at this. (It does have some fancy looking skyboxes though.)

I do love Patrick Stewart's selective decision to be into his voiceovers or not. Although I'm imagining him wearing this mustache while doing them either way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9G5ciMqFNM

Also, phaser shotgun lol.

antonz

So Levar Burton teased today about getting to see the TNG HD Conversion process today for Blu Ray.
LeVar Burton

Stopped by to see how the TNG conversion to HD for Blue Ray was coming along... #mindblown #bydhttmwfihttp://moby.to/6nxp3k

B.K.

Digital Bits' sources have told them that the episodes on the The Next Generation Remastered Sampler Blu-Ray will be:

Encounter at Farpoint Part 1
Encounter at Farpoint Part 2
The Inner Light
Sins of the Father

So i've began Season 3 of TOS. Spock's Brain & And the Children Shall Lead (Melvin Belli in shower curtains...oh god) haven't exactly made the most impressionable start for the season.

Does the quality ever pick up (no matter the margin), or am I in for 20episodes of 60's MST3K-worthy bad sci-fi television?

antonz

viewtifulsub said:
So i've began Season 3 of TOS. Spock's Brain & And the Children Shall Lead (Melvin Belli in shower curtains...oh god) haven't exactly made the most impressionable start for the season.

Does the quality ever pick up (no matter the margin), or am I in for 20episodes of 60's MST3K-worthy bad sci-fi television?
There are better ones for sure but Season 3 suffered alot because the Studio wanted the show dead so cut the budget and shifted it to a shitty timeslot

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
viewtifulsub said:

Spock's Brain is widely thought to be TOS's worst episode.

DrForester said:
antonz said:
There are better ones for sure but Season 3 suffered alot because the Studio wanted the show dead so cut the budget and shifted it to a shitty timeslot
Well I guess getting the worst out of the way might be for the best. Lets see how the season progresses.

Anyway, S3 hasn't been all bad so far. Shatner did give one line that shall live forever, "I AM KEE-ROC".

antonz

Slayven said:
Rewatching TNG, Laforge got some shitty focus eps. Either he was a creepy stalker or going crazy.
lol yeah. The episode with the real Leah Brahms was so bad as far as his character.

Zen

Banned
Gvaz said:
Voyager is great though. Don't listen to the haters.

I just can't follow you on that one. I really feel like there was a segment of the fanbase that gave it far more credit than it deserved because of a schism within the community over DS9 taking place on a space station.

I'm a huge Trek fan, and there are very few episodes of Voyager that don't drive me up the wall, or more frequently and worse yet, bore me into submission.

benjipwns

Banned
antonz said:
lol yeah. The episode with the real Leah Brahms was so bad as far as his character.
And his next "relationship" was with a woman suspected of murder who he had never met before, just watched her personal logs.

And then there's all the times he gets kidnapped or tricked (Pakled's, those weird aliens doing experiments, the ones using his mother, etc.), and then that time he got not only kidnapped but brainwashed thanks to his visor. And then in Generations when he's kidnapped yet again and after being tortured his visor is used to destroy the ship.

Plus his only friends are Data and the ship.

Slayven

benjipwns said:
And his next "relationship" was with a woman suspected of murder who he had never met before, just watched her personal logs.

And then there's all the times he gets kidnapped or tricked (Pakled's, those weird aliens doing experiments, the ones using his mother, etc.), and then that time he got not only kidnapped but brainwashed thanks to his visor. And then in Generations when he's kidnapped yet again and after being tortured his visor is used to destroy the ship.

Plus his only friends are Data and the ship.
Well as of he last appearance in the EU, he and Leah are living together on the Enterprise. Her husband died sometime ago.

maharg said:
*suddenly reminded why he doesn't take the Trek 'EU' seriously.*
That's pretty much how you should take any franchise EU as it's mostly fanwankery nonsense.

Seems everyone forgot yesterday was the 45th Anniversary of Star Trek :eek:
Meh. 45's not that big a deal. 50 is the big Anniversary.

It's not like Geordi eventually getting together with Leah Brahms is some fanwank notion out of left field. In the future of All Good Things, Geordi was said to be with a Leah, and if the actress was available she was going to appear with him in Nemesis at the Rikers' wedding.

maharg said:
*suddenly reminded why he doesn't take the Trek 'EU' seriously.*

Wasn't Leah and Geordi being together also mentioned in All Good Things? Of course, that may have been an alternative universe created by Q, and all that.

edit: too slow

maharg

idspispopd
It tipped over when it got to Leah's husband apparently dying in an accident involving the Genesis Device. :p

That said, it's not like the official stuff is void of fanwankery, either. One of the reasons I'm happy they rebooted.

benjipwns

Banned
If it makes things better, the two events happen in completely separate stories years apart. The Genesis Wave thing was one of those side stories that they use one or two-off characters from the show in since they can be easier to work with. The Geordi stuff happens a few books later IIRC.

I haven't read the Genesis Wave books yet, but having read all the post-Nemesis stuff Leah didn't show up until the most recent TNG book--which was barely a TNG book but basically called so for marketing reasons.

B.K.

DrForester said:

Spock's Brain should be considered the worse episode in the franchise. It makes Threshold seem like one of the best in the series, by comparison.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
B.K. said:
Spock's Brain should be considered the worse episode in the franchise. It makes Threshold seem like one of the best in the series, by comparison.

Spock's Brain wasn't "Writers come out and de-cannonize" bad.

I don't think it's mere coincidence that he has the same (well, VERY similar at least) "white flash" effect too.

And anyway, while I'm here. Really looking forward to collecting TNG on Blu-Ray. What's the general fan consensus for the ToS Blu-ray?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Choppasmith said:
I don't think it's mere coincidence that he has the same (well, VERY similar at least) "white flash" effect too.

And anyway, while I'm here. Really looking forward to collecting TNG on Blu-Ray. What's the general fan consensus for the ToS Blu-ray?

Well, MLP did do an entire episode based on "Trouble With Tribbles"

As for the BR, they are generally well received. The include both the remastered editions with the new SFX, as well as the original broadcast version (TAKE NOTE GEORGE LUCAS). The Remasters are also very well received. Unlike Star Wars, ToS is the textbook example of how to do a special edition and have fans love it. Very few fans didn't like the remasters, and never really complained if they didn't because they had the originals.

Also some really neat behind the scenes stuff.

Usually can find them on sale every now and then. Go for it.

a176 said:
so how would you guys like this as the next enterprise

011.jpg

Don't really like what's going on down below, the top looks awesome though.

untitled1b1.jpg

I'd prefer the underside to keep the same flat surface so it's just a saucer and nacelle pylons. A bit like the NX.

Top Bottom