• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Gvaz

Banned
Sir Fragula said:
Enterprise hate is pretty funny, given that every single episode is better than every single episode of Voyager.
t5_2qqlo_30.png

a176

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
You know I hate Voyager, right?

The episodes Living Witness, Drone, and Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy were probably better than the entirety of Enterprise.

Bloody good television. They're like three small flowers on the mass of congealed Tribble shit that is Voyager.

1st season of enterprise is pretty lamesauce, but the rest is much better

but to say voyager was any good ...
ron moore says it best
in 2000
http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm

he later took that interview and went on to create a proper voyager ... battlestar galactica

HD TNG Blu-rays official

You've heard the rumors, and now StarTrek.com can officially confirm it: Star Trek: The Next Generation will be released in high-definition Blu-ray, starting in January with a sampler of several popular episodes, followed by a season-one set to be released later on in 2012, and subsequent seasons beaming down after that. Each of the 178 episodes spanning The Next Generation's seven seasons will be transferred to true high-definition 1080p for release in the Blu-ray format and, eventually, for runs on television and digital platforms in the U.S. and across the world. Star Trek: The Next Generation will, as fans know, be celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2012.

“Fans have been clamoring for a high-definition release of Star Trek: The Next Generation," Ken Ross, Executive Vice President and General Manager of CBS Entertainment, said in a statement. “Transferring the series to high-definition presented difficult technical challenges, but our team has come up with a process to create true 1080p HD masters with true HD visual effects. We can’t wait to show fans how pristine the series looks and sounds with our upcoming Blu-ray releases.”

CBS is, in fact, returning to the original film negatives, a mother lode of material encompassing 25,000-plus reels of footage, and editing the episodes together precisely as they were when they originally aired between 1987 and 1994. Visual effects will not be upconverted from videotape, but instead will be recompositioned. The freshly cut film will ultimately be transferred to high definition with 7.1 DTS Master Audio. And all of the work is being done in conjunction with respected, longtime Star Trek figures Denise and Michael Okuda, who are on board as consultants.

As for that sampler, it will be called Star Trek: The Next Generation -- The Next Level. CBS Home Entertainment has set a January 31, 2012, release date for the single disc, which will include the feature-length version of the series pilot, "Encounter at Farpoint," as well the fan-favorite episodes "Sins of the Father" and "The Inner Light," the former from season three and the latter from season five. The Next Level will sell for the suggested retail price of $21.99.

Keep an eye on StarTrek.com for additional news about upcoming Blu-ray releases of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Unfortunately no sample images, and the video at StarTrek.com is low resolution enough it's not like we could tell any difference.

tngrsamplerbrd-small.jpg

Walshicus

Really, really glad they're doing this. Might even buy a Blu-Ray player for it (check my tag, that's how much it means...).

That said, it depends on how well the new effects are done. I'd like to think that even cheap 2011 effects are better than expensive 1990 effects?

Excellent news. Hopefully I can scrounge enough money to buy 'em all, and hopefully Paramount doesn't overprice them.

*crosses fingers for DS9 blu-ray and updated special effects*

Teh Hamburglar said:
how much better can the DS9 effects get?
Well, some of the early stuff and battles, mainly seasons 1-4 could be redone, and they could add in shields for all the ships (because they couldn't add it in because of the budget) for the bigger, larger Dominion battles. They could also do completely new scenes for the later Dominion battles in which they had to re-use footage.

Walshicus

Henchmen21 said:
http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm?cdID=451

Supposedly came out last year. Way to large and overpriced. Probably should have released it in 4 separate sets instead of one whole set.
Cool!

The question of Star Trek music rights has come up quite a bit on the Star Trek Online forums. We've got a few themes (notably the Vulcan Arena theme!) put into the game lately, but there are a tonne of themes that haven't made it. Apparently the rights to most scores are quite tangled up.

It could make for an interesting story to see Data review his memories with his new capabilities. Like, beyond the old joke about the Ferengi in the gorilla suit.

Fjordson

Really enjoying TNG. Some great characters. Though the one episode I haven't loved so far is Code of Honor. Don't know why exactly. Didn't the find the alien culture all that interesting I guess. And their leader was kind of corny throughout.

Checking out some Code of Honor information on Memory Alpha...

In this episode, the entire humanoid population of the planet is portrayed by African-American performers. In the teleplay, however, only Lutan's guards were specifically written as being African. It was director Russ Mayberry's idea to make all the planet's occupants African. Disgusted by this decision and Mayberry's attitude towards the performers, Gene Roddenberry fired Mayberry late in production. The remainder of the episode was directed by an uncredited Les Landau.
As noted in the TNG Companion, Tracy Tormé was embarrassed by what he called a "1940s tribal Africa" view of Africans in the episode. Jonathan Frakes referred to it as a "racist piece of shit" [2] while Brent Spiner called it "embarrassing." [3] When asked what his least favorite episode of The Next Generation was at a 2007 science fiction convention in Toronto, Canada, Jonathan Frakes told the audience in attendance "The worst and most embarrassing and one that even Gene would have been embarrassed by was that horrible racist episode from the first season... Code of Honor, oh my God in heaven!" [4] According to Wil Wheaton, 'if the cast wasn't arbitrarily decided to be African-American,' the idea of the episode being racist or non-racist wouldn't have been an issue. [5]

And while I remember hearing those things before, I hadn't caught this:
Katharyn Powers is also responsible for the very similar "Emancipation" episode of Stargate SG-1.
Same writer behind the shitty fourth episodes of both TNG and SG-1.

An-Det

Someone has made a joke Twitter account called "TNG Season 8", which so far has given potential episode plots. It's not bad, and I'm sure others might like it.

http://twitter.com/#!/TNG_S8

Some examples:

"Riker and Picard mistakenly abandon Data on a planet of dancing children. Someone has been touching Worf's things, he's upset."

"The prime directive is completely ignored when Picard really wants to ride a Centaur. Geordie sleeps through the whole episode by accident."

Walshicus

"Wes rebuilds the Genesis Device for fun, with dire consequences. Riker sees a spider in his shower, immediately detaches the saucer section"

Man, watching the original series while cleaning your room makes it so much easier! I watched all seasons the last few weeks. The charm of Kirk, McCoy and Spock being the quirky team they are hasn't been equaled by the following Star Trek series.

I now ordered a 49 dvd box of Star Trek TNG! Still lot's of cleaning up to do! ;D

Walshicus

DieNgamers said:
Man, watching the original series while cleaning your room makes it so much easier! I watched all seasons the last few weeks. The charm of Kirk, McCoy and Spock being the quirky team they are hasn't been equaled by the following Star Trek series.

I now ordered a 49 dvd box of Star Trek TNG! Still lot's of cleaning up to do! ;D
Not holding out for the Blu-Rays?

So it seems like, in a way, Enterprise has been cancelled again. A few "Enterprise Relaunch" books took place in 2155, with continuing story elements about increased trouble with the Romulans. (The Good That Men Do, Kobayashi Maru) This came to a head with the first book in The Romulan War subseries, taking place in 2155-2156. (Beneath the Raptor's Wing) Given the big buildup over the space of a year I was surprised to see that the second Romulan War novel is the last, covers primarily 2156-2161, and acts as a new finale. (To Brave the Storm) It does feel like a bit of a rush through the years, so I get the idea that Pocket Books told the author they weren't planning on publishing more Enterprise anytime soon and he better wrap it up.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm sure some enterprising policy "expert" will use those episodes as a handy guide like some governments seem to use other dystopian sci-fi works.
So it seems like, in a way, Enterprise has been cancelled again. A few "Enterprise Relaunch" books took place in 2155, with continuing story elements about increased trouble with the Romulans. (The Good That Men Do, Kobayashi Maru) This came to a head with the first book in The Romulan War subseries, taking place in 2155-2156. (Beneath the Raptor's Wing) Given the big buildup over the space of a year I was surprised to see that the second Romulan War novel is the last, covers primarily 2156-2161, and acts as a new finale. (To Brave the Storm) It does feel like a bit of a rush through the years, so I get the idea that Pocket Books told the author they weren't planning on publishing more Enterprise anytime soon and he better wrap it up.
That's how Pocket Books rolls. They always over plan crossovers/epic-stories and wind up cutting the end down.

Slayven

Not the brightest minds handling the Trek EU. Shame because the books are pretty fun more often the not.

kharma45

Are the relaunch books worth reading?

I like them, but I am admittedly a sucker for most of the various continuing series of Trek novels so if I were you I wouldn't necessarily take my word for it. :) It is a pleasure to see them try to retcon the holodeck events from the television finale, though.

kharma45

They're only around £4 give or take a few pence on Amazon so might have a look about getting the first one, or I'll see if one of my local libraries has it.

Edit - And bingo, two libraries in my town have a copy each, excellent.

Voyager has its fair share of good episodes.

Tuvix
Equinox, Pt II
Relativity
Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy
Living Witness
Life Line
Message in a Bottle
Pathfinder
Inside Man

Each trek series has its up and downs just voyager has long periods of downs.

Anyone else really dislike the religious stuff in DS9, the dominon war ect was great but the whole prophet stuff is horrible.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Voyager has its fair share of good episodes.

Tuvix
Equinox, Pt II
Relativity
Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy
Living Witness
Life Line
Message in a Bottle
Pathfinder
Inside Man

Each trek series has its up and downs just voyager has long periods of downs.

Anyone else really dislike the religious stuff in DS9, the dominon war ect was great but the whole prophet stuff is horrible.

Really? No "Timeless"? Best voyager episode ever.

Message in a Bottle could have been great, but Andy Dick ruined it.

Really? No "Timeless"? Best voyager episode ever.

Message in a Bottle could have been great, but Andy Dick ruined it.

I forgot is timeless the one with Captain LaForge? thats a pretty good episode i liked message in a bottle i dont really mind andy dick was a nice look into the R&D side of the federation

Slayven

I like them, but I am admittedly a sucker for most of the various continuing series of Trek novels so if I were you I wouldn't necessarily take my word for it. :) It is a pleasure to see them try to retcon the holodeck events from the television finale, though.
I like how writers take things that were touched on in shows and flushed them out in the books. Without them I would be forevered boggled why there was a giant head in the center of the galaxy.

DS9 is one of the few places where I enjoy a bit of religion, because it seems... more solid. They jump past the whole "Does this god exist?" hurdle by making them objective fact. It's therefore easy to accept organized religion being such a major force in the world, and the remaining issue of how to think about incomprehensible wormhole aliens nonlinearly meddling in the affairs of a world I find interesting.

Kak.efes

it's nice to see people finally coming around to Voyager. Forget that serialized soap opera tripe that is DS9. That shit is not Trek, nor will it ever be Trek.

Top Bottom