• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Duh. Didn't even see that.

Yeah, that pilot wasn't even aired except as part of the courtroom drama two parter The Menagerie (love the synonym rename). Some real Kirk/Spock stuff is established in that two parter.

So then probably the second one he saw was probably Where No Man Has Gone Before? I really hate that one, personally.

Yeah, it's not great viewing. Though the galactic barrier was a fun idea.

Re. Enterprise and exploring, the Enterprise-D's mission wasn't really exploring since it was explicitly a flag ship (without a flag officer, which is weird, but whatever). It was supposed to represent the Federation's strength and goals. So its mission was more to pretend to explore to send the message that that's what Starfleet is about.

I question the point of families being on board then. I may be wrong (it has been a while since I watched Farpoint), but I thought the the idea behind it was to stop people from snapping being so far away from (familar) civilisation, which seemed fairly logical given how many instances of "crazy captain" there were in the TOS days. Don't really see the point if they're going to be near friendly planets so often...unless that's another part of the pretence.

The Alpha Quadrant was pretty much mapped (or at least claimed) by various powers by the time the Vulcans found Earth near the border of the Beta Quadrant. Then the Humans picked up the Vulcans' ball and aggressively captured half the Beta Quadrant around Kirk's time.

In Picard's time, the Enterprise has pulled back and is "exploring" (strengthening) the Alpha Quadrant borders.

It's like if America pulled back from exploring the Wild West and sent their shiniest new tank all-terrain vehicle (America doesn't make tanks, now don't mind this turret) to go "explore" around New York, just so the Europeans don't get any funny ideas.

Sisko and DS9 are down by New Mexico.

Nah, I don't think the Alpha Quadrant is even remotely fully charted, even including allies & known antagonists. At the beginning of TNG, they stood, in the alpha quadrant, at the very ends of known space, they just...didn't end up going that way. (I guess since their frontier supply station turned out to be a giant space jellyfish).

Chakotay did it, so did Kim (twice)

Yeah, but it's a lot worse when it comes from someone shoving her morals down everyones throat at every possible opportunity, and then going ahead and ignoring them herself whenever the chance presents itself for her own selfish benefit. I do remember Chakotay & Kim's one(and yes, just as bad as Janeway), what was Kim's solo effort?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, but it's a lot worse when it comes from someone shoving her morals down everyones throat at every possible opportunity, and then going ahead and ignoring them herself whenever the chance presents itself for her own selfish benefit. I do remember Chakotay & Kim's one(and yes, just as bad as Janeway), what was Kim's solo effort?

Solo one was Non Sequitor (kind of).
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Non_Sequitur_(episode)

Also, lets give Janeways some credit. Before going back in time, she went to the Batcave and stole the Batmobile shields. That's pretty awesome.

Solo one was Non Sequitor (kind of).
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Non_Sequitur_(episode)

Also, lets give Janeways some credit. Before going back in time, she went to the Batcave and stole the Batmobile shields. That's pretty awesome.

Ah, I see. Not his fault though - he did what he had to do to restore the proper timeline.

And yeah, Endgame's tech was very cool, but it can't change how shocking(and callous) a departure it was from her big headed Caretaker pontification.

By first do you mean The Cage, The Menagerie, or Where No Man Has Gone Before? Star Trek's start was... complicated.

Don't you mean "The Man Trap"? ;)

In case you didn't get it, that was the first episode of Star Trek aired on television.

From the Youtube comments:

Rick Berman fired the guy who made TNG music awesome and replaced him with a tone deaf monkey

Man, is that true? Fucking Rick Berman. You ruin everything in Star Trek!

This is one of the points that sfdebris occasionally harps on. There was an episode review, I recall, where the music was pretty much the only good element, and he goes off on a tangent about how future, low-scoring episodes would have been better with a rousing score.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
He likes to review bad episodes because he likes to make fun of them. His "Initiations" review was his best one overall I think. But he's also great when he reviews good episodes like The Die is Cast/Improbable Cause.

Die is Cast review was pretty good, but it's a Garrak episode. Mentioned before but I liked him pointing out how DS9 would not play it safe, and Voyager would almost always play it safe.

Die is Cast review was pretty good, but it's a Garrak episode. Mentioned before but I liked him pointing out how DS9 would not play it safe, and Voyager would almost always play it safe.

What does it being a Garak episode have to do with anything? There are countless other good episodes he's reviewed: Tapestry, Duet, The Visitor, movies like WoK, In the Pale Moonlight, It's Only a Paper Moon, All Good Things....

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
What does it being a Garak episode have to do with anything? There are countless other good episodes he's reviewed: Tapestry, Duet, The Visitor, movies like WoK, In the Pale Moonlight, It's Only a Paper Moon, All Good Things....

Just that it's a Garak episode and everyone likes Garak episodes.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Picard knows Kirk's style. Picard would vigorously defend Kirk's style. But it's not Picard's style.

Never said he didn't. That episode is why I like Riker more than Picard, and why I identify with Riker and Kirk. Picard is a great captain. His style just doesn't mesh with me.

Yeah, that pilot wasn't even aired except as part of the courtroom drama two parter The Menagerie (love the synonym rename). Some real Kirk/Spock stuff is established in that two parter.

So then probably the second one he saw was probably Where No Man Has Gone Before? I really hate that one, personally.

Re. Enterprise and exploring, the Enterprise-D's mission wasn't really exploring since it was explicitly a flag ship (without a flag officer, which is weird, but whatever). It was supposed to represent the Federation's strength and goals. So its mission was more to pretend to explore to send the message that that's what Starfleet is about.

Agree to disagree. I love Where No Man Has Gone Before (and love how it was handled in the new star trek comic.)

One thing I found interesting going back and watching Original series is how Star Trek 09 actually switched the paternal connection for Spock and Kirk. Kirk has a strong relationship with his father, and he's a huge influence on his Starfleet career, while Sarek and Spock have a strained relationship both because of their Vulcan heritage, and because Spock turns down admission into the Vulcan Science Academy.

In 09, Kirk never really knows his father because of the destruction of the Kelvin. Meanwhile, Spock and Sarek share a few moments of connection in the movie following the destruction of Vulcan. Small changes like that are things I don't think I ever noticed. In the IDW comic, Spock and Sarek are actually pretty close, and during the recent arc, Spock actually talks Sarek out of doing something terrible (and rather uncharacteristic of a Vulcan). Yeah, that part is extended universe, but it does a great job of using that new framework, and showing how those two big events completely change the relationships around them.

Dartastic

I'm watching them on Netflix, so I'm going in that order. First episode was indeed The Cage, second was The Man Trap. I wonder of the show is going to continue the slightly chauvinistic mood...

Also, why isn't this thread in community?

Dartastic

What do you mean slightly?

edit:
funnily enough, the last episode of TOS is also the worst offender in this sense.
Slightly was uh, an understatement. Haha. I just bought the first book for the class. It is titled "Gender and Sexuality in Star Trek." OH MY GOD IM SO EXCITED FOR THIS CLASS! :D

maharg

idspispopd
It would have been really fascinating if Gene had gotten to go with the original "Number One" as first officer. That was a genre and medium defying choice and making her emotionless would have had some really interesting implications given that the idea of hysteria wasn't exactly out of fashion at the time.

I do think it's important to not judge it too harshly, though, given that it's a product of its time. And Uhura, though maybe not the great leap forward in television people might expect or hope for now, was still a pretty fantastic move. A black woman officer in a key role? You'd probably have been given a code red for suggesting such a thing on the navy in the 60s.

Tobor

How come nobody here is talking about Karl Urban spilling the beans on Cumberbatch playing
Gary Mitchell
in Star Trek 2?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
How come nobody here is talking about Karl Urban spilling the beans on Cumberbatch playing
Gary Mitchell
in Star Trek 2?

I mentioned it in the main thread for the film. I'm not 100% convinced though. I think they're intentionally throwing out curve balls. Would certainly rather it was him than Khan though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It would have been really fascinating if Gene had gotten to go with the original "Number One" as first officer. That was a genre and medium defying choice and making her emotionless would have had some really interesting implications given that the idea of hysteria wasn't exactly out of fashion at the time.

I do think it's important to not judge it too harshly, though, given that it's a product of its time. And Uhura, though maybe not the great leap forward in television people might expect or hope for now, was still a pretty fantastic move. A black woman officer in a key role? You'd probably have been given a code red for suggesting such a thing on the navy in the 60s.

Well, then you get the infamous Janice Lester episode where it's established that for some reason, women aren't allowed to be Captains in the future. That's where they ruined the "universe" for the sake of clumsily telling a story about sexism.

Scirrocco

So uh, I haven't really watched much Star Trek in my life. In two weeks, I start a Sociology of Star Trek class. I suppose I will be in here a lot. :p

Just watched the first two episodes of TOS. First was meh. Second (first with Kirk) was pretty rad. Can't wait to keep watching. This class is going to ruuuuule.

Mind if i ask what school is offering a sociology of Star trek course, and why you would take it if you don't watch star trek? Just curious.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Well, then you get the infamous Janice Lester episode where it's established that for some reason, women aren't allowed to be Captains in the future. That's where they ruined the "universe" for the sake of clumsily telling a story about sexism.

That's one bit of continuity I'm glad Enterprise completely ignored.

maharg

idspispopd

Eh, I don't think it really ruined the universe (it got retconned out later, but as aired there was always a clear gender bias in TOS) and Trek was always all about the clumsy morality tales. It's very much rooted in golden/silver age SF storytelling that's all like that.

I mean.. this is a show where a racism story was done by having bicoloured aliens where one side had white on the left and the other on the right.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's one bit of continuity I'm glad Enterprise completely ignored.
Oh yes, it was dumb.

Eh, I don't think it really ruined the universe (it got retconned out later, but as aired there was always a clear gender bias in TOS) and Trek was always all about the clumsy morality tales. It's very much rooted in golden/silver age SF storytelling that's all like that.

I mean.. this is a show where a racism story was done by having bicoloured aliens where one side had white on the left and the other on the right.
Oh yes, as I acknowledged. Stargate SG-1 had horrible stories like that in s1, actually, so even in the 90s people were still bad at SF.

I just find it amusing that for all its progressiveness, it was also backwards at time.

I don't even know if this is real or not, but apparently Uhura is the last person allowed to take command of the Enterprise because, even though she's a bridge officer, she's still somehow the lowest ranking officer on the ship. :p

Stupid maths.

Enterprise finale -> Star Trek 2009: 1456 days
Star Trek 2009 -> Star Trek 2013: 1470 days

So it'll be a new record for longest time without live action Trek since TOS->TMP (3839 days).

EDIT: For more perspective on how big those gaps are,
TOS first episode -> TOS finale: 999 days
ENT first episode -> ENT finale: 1325 days

Stupid maths.

Enterprise finale -> Star Trek 2009: 1456 days
Star Trek 2009 -> Star Trek 2013: 1470 days

So it'll be a new record for longest time without live action Trek since TOS->TMP (3839 days).

EDIT: For more perspective on how big those gaps are,
TOS first episode -> TOS finale: 999 days
ENT first episode -> ENT finale: 1325 days

What? There was 10 years in between the last TOS episode and TMP. Unless JJ Trek Bombs (please be so) so badly, that ain't going to be dethroned anytime soon.

maharg

idspispopd
Oh yes, it was dumb.

Oh yes, as I acknowledged. Stargate SG-1 had horrible stories like that in s1, actually, so even in the 90s people were still bad at SF.

I just find it amusing that for all its progressiveness, it was also backwards at time.

I don't even know if this is real or not, but apparently Uhura is the last person allowed to take command of the Enterprise because, even though she's a bridge officer, she's still somehow the lowest ranking officer on the ship. :p

Well, she was a lieutenant, which is the second lowest rank. But in the first season I don't know if there were any ensigns (the lowest officer rank) yet. Chekov was an ensign, but he didn't come in until the second season. Most of the people on the ship were enlisted, and officers always officially outrank enlisted.

There basically weren't any enlisted people in TNG most of the time. O'Brien (Chief Petty Officer) was one of the few, and probably the only one to be a regular.

I think the command order that was actually shown on TOS was Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Sulu. Don't think Chekov or Uhura ever took command but I could be wrong about that, it's been a while.

Gray Man

Banned
What? There was 10 years in between the last TOS episode and TMP. Unless JJ Trek Bombs (please be so) so badly, that ain't going to be dethroned anytime soon.

Why would you want it to bomb? I don't know if I said it before but I'm not sure there was any other way to do Star Trek 2009 other than how JJ Abrams did it. You have to bring in that appeal before you can make a good, or at least more like the original, trek movie.

Otherwise just accept that these movies are what the next generation movies could never seem to be.

Other than first contact.

I really like first contact, shoot me.

maharg

idspispopd
Most people like first contact, why do you think people will shoot you? People still believed in the odd/even nonsense back then.

I say all that before saying that I really dislike all the TNG movies, including First Contact. It set the borg up for the headshot that was Voyager.

Htown

Well, she was a lieutenant, which is the second lowest rank. But in the first season I don't know if there were any ensigns (the lowest officer rank) yet. Chekov was an ensign, but he didn't come in until the second season. Most of the people on the ship were enlisted, and officers always officially outrank enlisted.

There basically weren't any enlisted people in TNG most of the time. O'Brien (Chief Petty Officer) was one of the few, and probably the only one to be a regular.

I think the command order that was actually shown on TOS was Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Sulu. Don't think Chekov or Uhura ever took command but I could be wrong about that, it's been a while.

No, that sounds about right.

I remember Sulu taking command sometimes without Scotty being otherwise engaged, but I can't remember if that's because they switched the order once or twice, or because it was one of those times when Scotty wasn't on board.

TNG, on the other hand, went out of its way to make sure every regular but Wesley Crusher got their shot in the big chair, including the ship's doctor and counselor.

Most people like first contact, why do you think people will shoot you? People still believed in the odd/even nonsense back then.
Hey, the even/odd stuff still works.

If you count Galaxy Quest as a Trek movie in spirit. Generations bad, First Contact good, Insurrection bad, Galaxy Quest good, Nemesis bad, 2009 good.

maharg

idspispopd
No, that sounds about right.

I remember Sulu taking command sometimes without Scotty being otherwise engaged, but I can't remember if that's because they switched the order once or twice, or because it was one of those times when Scotty wasn't on board.

TNG, on the other hand, went out of its way to make sure every regular but Wesley Crusher got their shot in the big chair, including the ship's doctor and counselor.

Hey, the even/odd stuff still works.

If you count Galaxy Quest as a Trek movie in spirit. Generations bad, First Contact good, Insurrection bad, Galaxy Quest good, Nemesis bad, 2009 good.

Of those I only count
Galaxy Quest
and 2009 as actually good. And here's a really heretical position, I think Nemesis wasn't really all that bad. It was, until 2009, the best homage to Wrath of Khan the series produced. I do wish they'd get over trying to replicate the Khan formula though.

Htown

I like First Contact a whole lot even though it's not really in line with where Picard's character was at the end of TNG.

I have much bigger problems with 2009, because it completely falls apart if you think about it for more than two seconds. It's really good at keeping things moving and blinding you with lens flares, and it is a very fun movie, but it feels like you kinda have to be stupid for two hours to enjoy it.

That's fine for most movies, and I gladly turned my brain off and enjoyed the hell out of the Star Trek reboot for as long as that roller coaster ride lasted, but it really started to bother me as I got back into watching Trek TV shows afterwards. I feel like the best Trek always engages you on a level deeper than "ooh, pretty splosions", and tends to make you think, know what I mean?

I feel like New Trek has kind of lost the thoughtfulness that set Old Trek apart.

maharg

idspispopd
2009 wasn't Trek at its best for sure, but I think the series really needed a boost of fun put back into it. TOS took itself pretty seriously, but was still full of whimsy and adventure. I really think it's the most balanced show on that front. From TNG on it got weightier and weightier, with a brief respite in Enterprise's fourth season where I think it came close to coming back to TOS' balance. So I've always thought of 2009 as kind of counterlevering that trend by going full tilt the other way. In the process making Trek fun again.

And while the heavier kind of Trek worked in DS9, I think DS9 will always be an exception on that front. It was doing something very different that worked out really well.

That said, the movies have *always* been sillier and more focused on the action, TMP aside, and that was just trying too hard. Maybe ST6 as well.

Henchmen21 said:
Right--I said it was the biggest gap since that one.

Dartastic

Mind if i ask what school is offering a sociology of Star trek course, and why you would take it if you don't watch star trek? Just curious.
Portland State University. I'm taking it because although I may not be a hardcore fan, I think it'll be an interesting class. Star Trek is kinda a universal thing now, and I really am interested in how they tackled these sorts of issues. From what I've seen of TOS so far they're horribly sexist. If I wanna get a good grasp of this before school starts, how far into TOS should I go before I jump to TNG, just for times sake?

...plus it gives me an excuse to start watching, and maybe I'll actually see the show in a different light than I would have otherwise.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Portland State University. I'm taking it because although I may not be a hardcore fan, I think it'll be an interesting class. Star Trek is kinda a universal thing now, and I really am interested in how they tackled these sorts of issues. From what I've seen of TOS so far they're horribly sexist. If I wanna get a good grasp of this before school starts, how far into TOS should I go before I jump to TNG, just for times sake?

...plus it gives me an excuse to start watching, and maybe I'll actually see the show in a different light than I would have otherwise.

Wait isn't that the school that offers a course in Klingon?

benjipwns

Banned
2009 wasn't Trek at its best for sure, but I think the series really needed a boost of fun put back into it. TOS took itself pretty seriously, but was still full of whimsy and adventure. I really think it's the most balanced show on that front. From TNG on it got weightier and weightier, with a brief respite in Enterprise's fourth season where I think it came close to coming back to TOS' balance. So I've always thought of 2009 as kind of counterlevering that trend by going full tilt the other way. In the process making Trek fun again.
I'm not sure if having Kirk's father along with half a ship killed in the first ten minutes along with a near-genocide of a race, plus Spock's near killing of Kirk for getting in his grill and Kirk's exploitation of his grief, all because of an ill-explained Romulan miner's issue with some shit in the future over a failed rescue attempt of HIS entire race is necessarily whimsy and adventure.

The fun with Cupcake and Scotty in the ship's brewery wasn't too far detached that it couldn't fit into many other Trek instances.

bengraven

Of those I only count
Galaxy Quest
and 2009 as actually good. And here's a really heretical position, I think Nemesis wasn't really all that bad. It was, until 2009, the best homage to Wrath of Khan the series produced. I do wish they'd get over trying to replicate the Khan formula though.

This. I'd like to see the more galaxy-wide story like ST6, instead of the main villain with a vendetta.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I still want enterprise back :(. Do you think we will ever get another star trek tv show?

I imagine eventually we will, once they stop doing these alternate universe films we will hopefully get another series, these days film series don't go on forever as actors like to move on, will be interesting to see if they go any further than a trilogy with this reboot/alternate universe series so far.

Hopefully if we do get one it will be set past the TNG era, I sure don't want another one based in the past.

isny

napkin dispenser
I could do one a good one, wanna kickstart a few million?

If anyone could make it happen it would be the guy campaigning for it. (Seth McFarlane)

He's not doing The Flintstones anymore, and he's stated he'll stop doing FG if he gets to do a Trek TV series, and Fox is pretty much done with animation after all of the recent failures, so the outlook looks good that he will get his way and come to a deal with Sony/Paramount.

maharg

idspispopd
I imagine eventually we will, once they stop doing these alternate universe films we will hopefully get another series, these days film series don't go on forever as actors like to move on, will be interesting to see if they go any further than a trilogy with this reboot/alternate universe series so far.

Hopefully if we do get one it will be set past the TNG era, I sure don't want another one based in the past.

Yeah there's no way they're going back to the old timeline for a TV show. I'd even wager on them *never* doing so.

Frankly, that universe is boring now. Before or after TNG, it's all boring.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Which channel would potentially even produce a new Trek? It's CBS's franchise still right? Would it still air on UPN? Or would SyFy air it?

Cheerilee

Which channel would potentially even produce a new Trek? It's CBS's franchise still right? Would it still air on UPN? Or would SyFy air it?

UPN doesn't really exist anymore. They realized that they couldn't build a network around just Star Trek, so they refocused to target black people, and then they decided that Star Trek didn't really fit with their plans anymore. And then when that plan failed, they merged UPN with Warner's WB to make CW, which now apparently mostly targets Twilight fans.

I think if CBS wants to have a new Trek either to support their main network or for CW, the show will be different, depending on where they want to put it.

If CBS makes the show for syndication, that means they're making the show to sell it to other stations, not for themselves, at which point anyone with enough money could maybe buy it and air it, including SyFy. (This seems unlikely, if you ask me. They wouldn't want to make Trek just to sell it and make some money, they'd want to maximize their money somehow, otherwise it's not worth doing.)

If they don't want Trek but still want money, and they arrange some sort of deal where SyFy covers most/all of the costs of making the show, then maybe SyFy will get to air it.

Also, if CBS makes the show for themselves (or CW), they might sell the reruns in the syndication market, which would mean that SyFy might air rerun episodes a year or two after CBS airs them.

TheYanger

The irony being that TOS was very forward-thinking in terms of gender for when it aired. Roddenberry originally had Majel Barrett as the number one for instance, and I want to say the original pilot even had the women all in pants and turtlenecks, rather than the dresses. It's more a commentary of how much despite all of the equality that Trek fought for, how much it still seems sort of backwards today. That was as far forward as the networks would allow them to go.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
UPN doesn't really exist anymore. They realized that they couldn't build a network around just Star Trek, so they refocused to target black people, and then they decided that Star Trek didn't really fit with their plans anymore. And then when that plan failed, they merged UPN with Warner's WB to make CW, which now apparently mostly targets Twilight fans.

I think if CBS wants to have a new Trek either to support their main network or for CW, the show will be different, depending on where they want to put it.

If CBS makes the show for syndication, that means they're making the show to sell it to other stations, not for themselves, at which point anyone with enough money could maybe buy it and air it, including SyFy. (This seems unlikely, if you ask me. They wouldn't want to make Trek just to sell it and make some money, they'd want to maximize their money somehow, otherwise it's not worth doing.)

If they don't want Trek but still want money, and they arrange some sort of deal where SyFy covers most/all of the costs of making the show, then maybe SyFy will get to air it.

Also, if CBS makes the show for themselves (or CW), they might sell the reruns in the syndication market, which would mean that SyFy might air rerun episodes a year or two after CBS airs them.

The only CBS channel that might carry it is Spike. CW's nerd shows are produced by WB, so that's why they get a pass, but the demo of the channel is still women. Or at least that's the demo they think they still have anyway.

Even then, Enterprise cost around 2 million an episode. That's ultimately why it was killed, even though it sat on a "home" station.

The only way a Trek series makes sense now is if it has some actual hype and they can put it on CBS after NCIS or something and draw similar numbers (which is unlikely) or, more likely, they subsidize the cost (or even do 12 episode runs) and give it to a cable network for cheap and make up the money in, as you said, syndication and the other markets (ie, the "Community" deal Sony has with NBC).

Even then, the upfront cost is huge. The Voyager pilot cost 50 million, including the construction of new sets and models. Since you can do everything in CG now, maybe it's cheaper, but even if you didn't build a bridge set or have models of ships that you filmed... it's still probably something they'd have to be willing to swallow.

Either that, or they re-use the new movie sets when the movie is done and somehow convince all the movie actors to come back and slum it on television.

isny

napkin dispenser
Either that, or they re-use the new movie sets when the movie is done and somehow convince all the movie actors to come back and slum it on television.

Or make it animated and make the actors come in early in the morning and drink their coffee in a voice over booth while still in their PJ's.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Or make it animated and make the actors come in early in the morning and drink their coffee in a voice over booth while still in their PJ's.
Star Trek: TAS is still the only "canon" Trek series that I've never watched (and I've watched those fan movies where they somehow convince random Trek actors to show up!). I'm not really sure if I want to. lol

Top Bottom