• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

isny

napkin dispenser
I figure the shipping would kill it though? But if you're close the border, that probably helps.

Total would be $80 shipped from Amazon.com to Canada including import fees deposit and shipping cost. You also have a chance of getting some of the import fees deposit back. Buying it at retail would be $90 with tax in Ontario, so you'd still be saving a minimum of ten bucks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Total would be $80 shipped from Amazon.com to Canada including import fees deposit and shipping cost. You also have a chance of getting some of the import fees deposit back. Buying it at retail would be $90 with tax in Ontario, so you'd still be saving a minimum of ten bucks.

Hrm, is it one of those deals where they use a private courier up to the border and then it comes through Canada Post once its in Canada?

isny

napkin dispenser
Hrm, is it one of those deals where they use a private courier up to the border and then it comes through Canada Post once its in Canada?

Yes. They ship it all to the Amazon.ca warehouse in Toronto and then re-ship it to you via Canada Post Expedited.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes. They ship it all to the Amazon.ca warehouse in Toronto and then re-ship it to you via Canada Post Expedited.
Hrm, that's cool. Are the shipping estimates accurate? I might end up going through .com if it's pretty quick.

Too bad .ca can't just match their .com price. :p

isny

napkin dispenser
Hrm, that's cool. Are the shipping estimates accurate? I might end up going through .com if it's pretty quick.

Too bad .ca can't just match their .com price. :p

You pay for shipping and the import fees deposit. I usually get a random amount back from the import fee deposit, but you never get charged more than the total Amazon shows when you check out and pay. They don't go back and charge you more for taxes or duty or anything.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You pay for shipping and the import fees deposit. I usually get a random amount back from the import fee deposit, but you never get charged more than the total Amazon shows when you check out and pay. They don't go back and charge you more for taxes or duty or anything.
Ah sorry, I meant the time to ship (8-15 days), not the price. lol

Does it really take two weeks to get up here?

isny

napkin dispenser
Ah sorry, I meant the time to ship (8-15 days), not the price. lol

Does it really take two weeks to get up here?

I've seen it take that long. It does have to clear customs. It's usually closer to a week though, so if it ships Monday you'll usually have it by that Friday or the next Monday.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've seen it take that long. It does have to clear customs. It's usually closer to a week though, so if it ships Monday you'll usually have it by that Friday or the next Monday.
Oh, if you get a refund via the import fee thing, does it go back to your card or is it held up as money on your .com account?

Either way, I guess I might just bite the bullet barring any last minute change of heart on the part of the Canadian retailers.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Re-watching through Voyager at the moment, right at the end of Season 2, I do wonder why they never really had Janeway and Chakotay get together in the end.

They kind of hint at it through the series, then there is that one that I just saw where they stick them on the planet together, just seems like a far more obvious match if there was ever going to be one with either of the characters than them trying to shove Chakotay and Seven together at the end with all that "chemistry" they had together.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I read somewhere that Chakotay and Seven only happened because one of the actors got frustrated that the show wasn't going anywhere and dared the showrunners to do it just because.

Could be BS.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
eeee, getting my copy of TNG S1 Blu-ray this week. I can't wait for that Ferengi HD goodness!

CMDBob

Heh, my copy of issue three of the TNG/Who crossover hit my doorstep today, and... well... HNNG.

ibcIAj4NaLDPVy.png

Not spoilered because it's kinda shown on the cover of the issue but still...

spidye

I haven't heard a word from Abrams' Star Trek sequel in a long time.
shouldn't there be a teaser since the movie is going to come out summer next year?

An-Det

shouldn't there be a teaser since the movie is going to come out summer next year?

Looks like filming completed in May, so we'll probably get the teaser in a few months. Are there any big conventions later in the year besides PAX Prime that they might show it at?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Looks like filming completed in May, so we'll probably get the teaser in a few months. Are there any big conventions later in the year besides PAX Prime that they might show it at?

That or are there any film releases that it might be attached to coming up soon.

Fox Mulder

It's feels weird how Star Trek is being treated by Paramount. With how well the reboot came off, I thought there would be a quicker turnaround for the sequel that this.

It's feels weird how Star Trek is being treated by Paramount. With how well the reboot came off, I thought there would be a quicker turnaround for the sequel that this.

I think they learned their lesson with the TNG films and want to avoid burn out. Aside from being shitty scripts they churned them out pretty quick.

NeOak

So I went today to the 25th anniversary event and saw the two episodes and the interviews.

The atmosphere was great and my brother and I enjoyed it a lot. Best two moments were:

1. Patrick Stewart talks about how he was called "Dr. Spock from Star Wars"
2. Picard and Crusher tag team in "Datalore" saying "Shut up Wesley!" one after the other.

Picking up the first season when I get the chance.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I went to the screening as well and man, I don't know if S1 holds up all that well.

A lot of it comes down to the fact that TV has evolved so much since then. Because they had 5-10 more minutes per episode, they were able to be a lot more self-indulgent with the establishing shots and the montages... that's not to mention how deliberately paced everything feels.

I still love how they look into the camera every time there's a commercial break coming. People must have thought that was a great way to end a scene back then. lol

Regardless of the quality of the content, at least the HD looks great. I'm really looking forward to when they hit Season 3.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I think they learned their lesson with the TNG films and want to avoid burn out. Aside from being shitty scripts they churned them out pretty quick.

They do realize the burn out timing is different now, right? Like, it's different when it's only movies compared to when it was movies and two simultaneously running series?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I've been watching the SFDebris reviews on the shows the last few days and it's been so freaking entertaining. It's amazing when you watch a the positivity of his DS9 reviews to the hilarious complete opposite in his Voyager ones.

Well I wasn't planning on doing it but I got $60 Amazon credit so I ordered the Season 1 TNG Blu-ray. I was going to skip it because honestly with a few exceptions Seasons 1 and 2 are pretty shitty - but in the end I'm a completist and gotta have 'em all! Excited to re-watch from the beginning when the set arrives tomorrow.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Well I wasn't planning on doing it but I got $60 Amazon credit so I ordered the Season 1 TNG Blu-ray. I was going to skip it because honestly with a few exceptions Seasons 1 and 2 are pretty shitty - but in the end I'm a completist and gotta have 'em all! Excited to re-watch from the beginning when the set arrives tomorrow.

YES!, I will do the same. All because of you. I am ordering s1 right now. It is 54 percent off on amazon anyway. Whatever magical number that means.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sadly, that's going to be my thinking as well. Us nerds and our OCD. :(

Of course, the reality is that you are throwing 60 dollars (and at least another 60 for S2) down the drain, but what can ya do.

teiresias

I had completely forgotten about this, so just ordered the Blu-Ray set tonight. I haven't seen Season 1 in forever, so I'm ready to torture myself with it. We should have an official TNG rewatch thread or something. Hehe.

I had completely forgotten about this, so just ordered the Blu-Ray set tonight. I haven't seen Season 1 in forever, so I'm ready to torture myself with it. We should have an official TNG rewatch thread or something. Hehe.
Yeah I'd be up for that, someone start one this week!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, on the plus side, the new documentary is nice. Even if no one is still willing to admit that S1 and S2 were shit.

I wonder if they'll talk about the writer's strike or Pulaski in the S2 features. Did the actress who played Pulaski show up to that reunion?

NeOak

Well, on the plus side, the new documentary is nice. Even if no one is still willing to admit that S1 and S2 were shit.

I wonder if they'll talk about the writer's strike or Pulaski in the S2 features. Did the actress who played Pulaski show up to that reunion?

The S2 teaser shown in the event had the cast talk about her, but no interview with her. Is she still alive? Patrick Stewart is 71 now!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Going from the internet, she seems to be. It says she retired, so maybe she wasn't interested given how they just bumped her off the show, but I dunno.

I've been watching the SFDebris reviews on the shows the last few days and it's been so freaking entertaining. It's amazing when you watch a the positivity of his DS9 reviews to the hilarious complete opposite in his Voyager ones.

He definitely takes DS9 to task when it's bad. Same for all the shows. It's just easier to find episodes of Voyager where characters act incredibly inconsistent or the writer takes the easy way out of the story. It also helps that the latter often treated its very premise as an afterthought.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Got S1 today...and my software refuses to play the discs. First time I can remember this happening with one of my Blu-rays.

If anybody with the S1 US set can test it on a UK Player and work out if it's region free I would be eternally grateful. The American discs are half the price of the UK ones, and I would love to buy this.

teiresias

Going from the internet, she seems to be. It says she retired, so maybe she wasn't interested given how they just bumped her off the show, but I dunno.

I'm pretty certain she knew she was possibly a very short term replacement. If i remember correctly it was even at her request that she wasn't in the actual opening credits as a cast member and was listed as a guest star through the whole season.

I'm pretty certain she knew she was possibly a very short term replacement. If i remember correctly it was even at her request that she wasn't in the actual opening credits as a cast member and was listed as a guest star through the whole season.

Actually, she didn't want to be a full cast member that's why she only signed on for that year. You got to remember she was doing L.A. Law around that time too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Are the Blu-Ray's still in 4:3 like the show? Or did they give them the Seinfeld on TBS/X-Files DVD treatement and do some creative cropping to make them widescreen?

So since this thread popped up again...

Still watching DS9. Midway through Season 3 now.

Jadzia Dax is still great (and attractive). Odo is a badass. Garak episodes are always entertaining. Gul Dukat makes things fun as well. Other characters are good too. Except for the Jake/Nog stories. Those kind of suck.

And is there a timeframe for when Voyager starts compared to DS9? The Maquis are assumed to be a thing already in Voyager, but since I started that first, they were new to me. However it seems they were first introduced in DS9.

evilwart

So since this thread popped up again...

Still watching DS9. Midway through Season 3 now.

Jadzia Dax is still great (and attractive). Odo is a badass. Garak episodes are always entertaining. Gul Dukat makes things fun as well. Other characters are good too. Except for the Jake/Nog stories. Those kind of suck.

And is there a timeframe for when Voyager starts compared to DS9? The Maquis are assumed to be a thing already in Voyager, but since I started that first, they were new to me. However it seems they were first introduced in DS9.

DS9 introduced the Maquis to the Star Trek universe preparation for Voyager, as sort of a common plot device where Voyager could launch from. Similarly, TNG introduced the Cardassians for the up and coming DS9.

I think roughly:
TNG s6 = DS9 s1
DS9 s3 = VOY s1

That said, DS9 had better Maquis episodes than Voyager.

Gary Whitta, you need to eat a cheeseburger.

Only kidding. Looks like you've lost a lot of weight (unless I'm confusing you with another GAFer).

Top Bottom