• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

kharma45

Tonight's entertainment - SORTED!

lk8d6.png

If the quality of the four three sample episodes they released on BR are anything to go by you should be in for a treat!

antonz

Sigh Whitta. Been resisting buying the Set because its Season 1 but too much Trek excitement plus best buy is giving me $10 to spend on whatever for buying it.

Trek time tonight I suppose though thank god they arent priced like the DVDs were. I remember shelling out like 170 bucks for Season 7 on DVD back in the day

firehawk12

Subete no aware
DS9 introduced the Maquis to the Star Trek universe preparation for Voyager, as sort of a common plot device where Voyager could launch from. Similarly, TNG introduced the Cardassians for the up and coming DS9.

I think roughly:
TNG s6 = DS9 s1
DS9 s3 = VOY s1

That said, DS9 had better Maquis episodes than Voyager.
Also, Ro Laren was supposed to be the Major Kira character until Forbes backed out. The books wrote Laren back in, but I wonder how that dynamic would have worked... although I suppose in the end, they shared the same function in terms of being anti-Cardassian and a Federation-skeptic.

I'm pretty certain she knew she was possibly a very short term replacement. If i remember correctly it was even at her request that she wasn't in the actual opening credits as a cast member and was listed as a guest star through the whole season.
Well, they didn't plan for McFadden to come back until after the second season ended though, so I dunno. I guess there could have been a third doctor if Mauldur wasn't interested in coming back, but it still feels like she got a bit of a raw deal.

But then again, they probably weren't all that interested in dealing with continuity at that point.

antonz

Ok Have to say the Blu Rays are fantastic. 25 Minute special feature they have on the process was fantastic and did an excellent job explaining why they couldnt do 16:9.

You can still tell it was never intended to be in real HD but damn its so much better than original quality.

Also, Ro Laren was supposed to be the Major Kira character until Forbes backed out. The books wrote Laren back in, but I wonder how that dynamic would have worked... although I suppose in the end, they shared the same function in terms of being anti-Cardassian and a Federation-skeptic.

Well, they didn't plan for McFadden to come back until after the second season ended though, so I dunno. I guess there could have been a third doctor if Mauldur wasn't interested in coming back, but it still feels like she got a bit of a raw deal.

But then again, they probably weren't all that interested in dealing with continuity at that point.

So now Ro Laren hates cardassians and Federation for being douches to the maquis. Shes just full of anger and fire now isn't she?

Davey Cakes

Just finished Babylon 5. Fantastic finale, and better than DS9's. But better than TNG's? Now that's a good question.

I just love emotional finales, and it's awesome that Sci-Fi shows of all things have given me some great ones.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So now Ro Laren hates cardassians and Federation for being douches to the maquis. Shes just full of anger and fire now isn't she?
Well, that's why she quits Starfleet to join up with the Maquis. In DS9, she would have shown up presumably as a Bajoran officer and the tension between her and Sisko would have been based on the fact that she gave up her commission and he represents a force that let the Cardassians kill Bajorans.

Just finished Babylon 5. Fantastic finale, and better than DS9's. But better than TNG's? Now that's a good question.

I just love emotional finales, and it's awesome that Sci-Fi shows of all things have given me some great ones.
Well, the awesome part of B5 is that the finale was written way before it was actually needed, so even though it was shot to serve as the ending of S4, they pulled it and were able to use it as the finale for S5.

Well, that's why she quits Starfleet to join up with the Maquis. In DS9, she would have shown up presumably as a Bajoran officer and the tension between her and Sisko would have been based on the fact that she gave up her commission and he represents a force that let the Cardassians kill Bajorans.

I mean in the books. Why would she rejoin Starfleet?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I mean in the books. Why would she rejoin Starfleet?
Ohhhh. I can't remember since it's been years. In the "fanon", it's considered season 8 of the show though. Jake goes on a journey to look for his father and whomever is left on DS9 (Kira as commander, Bashir, Ezri... and that's it I think) sticks around to pick up the pieces as a new threat appears. As I recall, Section 38 plays a role as well. I presume Laren rejoins because she was mad about being sidelined during the entire Dominion war or something.

Ponn

Banned
Oh man, STNG Bluray just popped in my Amazon gold box. I can get it for $56.99, double oly shit moment so did the Die Hard 4 movie bluray set for $20. Should I go for the STNG set or wait till Black Friday and hope for a deal? Anyone get the set yet (yes I see Whitta did) is it really good?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh man, STNG Bluray just popped in my Amazon gold box. I can get it for $56.99, double oly shit moment so did the Die Hard 4 movie bluray set for $20. Should I go for the STNG set or wait till Black Friday and hope for a deal? Anyone get the set yet (yes I see Whitta did) is it really good?
It looks good and the doc is neat, but I think the real question is whether or not you like S1 enough to double dip (assuming you have the DVDs). Given that the MSRP is something ridiculous like 130 dollars though, I wonder if this 60 dollar thing is a launch special.

Ponn

Banned
It looks good and the doc is neat, but I think the real question is whether or not you like S1 enough to double dip (assuming you have the DVDs). Given that the MSRP is something ridiculous like 130 dollars though, I wonder if this 60 dollar thing is a launch special.

I love TNG, grew up on it. I held off on the DVD's waiting for a complete set and by the time I was ready to splurge on it Blu-ray came along and I decided to wait again. I've seen a couple Bluray STNG features on youtube talking about and showing the upgrades they did and just wondering if it truly is spectacular or just them hyping. The episodes float on and off Netflix but if the updates are really good i'm tempted.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I love TNG, grew up on it. I held off on the DVD's waiting for a complete set and by the time I was ready to splurge on it Blu-ray came along and I decided to wait again. I've seen a couple Bluray STNG features on youtube talking about and showing the upgrades they did and just wondering if it truly is spectacular or just them hyping. The episodes float on and off Netflix but if the updates are really good i'm tempted.
Ah, if you don't own it and you want a complete set... you might as well get it. It does look great, even if the actual episodes are pretty junk. lol

Season 1 is ass though. Enjoy your DVD/Netflix and save your $$ for Season2 .
If you are OCD, you need to catch them all. :(

antonz

Price will be going up for sure. Best Buy already had them tagged in store for 79.99

I never bought any of the Star Trek series on DVD, and am not a fan of the first season of TNG. But the glowing reviews of the blu and reading about the restoration made me buy this. If anything just to support the insane work that went into it to ensure we get every season and hopefully DS9 the same way. Right now I am halfway through Encounter at Farpoint and HOLY SHIT is this gorgeous. It is a revelation seeing this in such clarity, like a brand new experience.

Insane. I can't wait for more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They also didn't completely DNR the fuck out of the picture. Whoever does these restorations seems to have learned their lesson.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
OK, got the discs working.

That gag reel is both hilarious and in horrible shape.

The remaster really is a revelation, it's like watching an entirely new show. The featurette really shows how much care and attention went into the restoration, just astounding. So glad I got this.

DS9 Season 3 - Through The Looking Glass.

This episode is kinda meh - depends on if you like the mirror universe stuff or not, but it has some high points worth mentioning.

Sisko sexes two ladies. Tuvok is there (appearance before Voyager premier?). And mirror Dax is jaw-dropping out of the typical Starfleet uniform with the different hairstyle. She really looks quite good in this episode.

isny

napkin dispenser
DS9 Season 3 - Through The Looking Glass.

This episode is kinda meh - depends on if you like the mirror universe stuff or not, but it has some high points worth mentioning.

Sisko sexes two ladies. Tuvok is there (appearance before Voyager premier?). And mirror Dax is jaw-dropping out of the typical Starfleet uniform with the different hairstyle. She really looks quite good in this episode.

Lesbian Dax is best Dax.

Abrams who runs the franchise says he is holding off allowing a tv a show for a while, says it will a remain a film franchise only for a while to not dilute to brand.
Regardless of what anyone thinks of Abrams's Trek, his reasons for holding off tv shows are sound.

My Bluray arrived yesterday - a day earlier than estimated, thanks Amazon - and my god it is GLORIOUS.

The fact its not widescreen was a little weird at first but the image clarity and colour is simply incredible.

Watching Encounter at Farpoint, the part were Q changes to the World War 3 drug soldier you can see that they gave his eyes a more sullen and "doped" look if you will, with bloodshotted-ness around the eyes and made them very watery. I never saw that in any of the previous versions and to see here was kick ass.

Also includes a teaser for Season 2 and a sort of reunion round table with the cast which looks brilliant. Cannot wait to watch the rest of it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Regardless of what anyone thinks of Abrams's Trek, his reasons for holding off tv shows are sound.

Uea, and sometimes shows need to have a break before jumping into a new series.

Star Trek had four series going one after the other essentially, you can see the shows get a little more meh as time goes on, look at the mockery Voyager and Enterprise gets, lol.
Same thing kinda happened to Stargate, the shows got less popular as they went along.

As much as I would like to have a new Star Trek series, especially due to a serious lack of sci-fi tv shows these days, I think they need a break and come back later with new ideas.
Not that I could offer any, they've done general starship adventures, space station life, stuck in the middle of no where and trying to get home, and then the first big journey out. Whatever it is, I hope it isn't excessive time travelling, lol.

Davey Cakes

Well, the awesome part of B5 is that the finale was written way before it was actually needed, so even though it was shot to serve as the ending of S4, they pulled it and were able to use it as the finale for S5.
Yeah. Part of the awesomeness of B5 in general is that it's strategically written so that things can be tweaked along the way if necessary, but the series always ends the way it was supposed to (for the most part, anyway). I heard that JMS had the idea for the ending before he even started writing the show. You don't always see that much planning ahead in television.

Since the finale was mostly character-driven, it had the flexibility to serve as either the S4 or S5 finale, which I agree is cool.

Sorry for talking about B5 in a Star Trek thread; I don't want to post a new thread and I know there are general sci-fi fans in here, not just Trek ones.

Tobor

It was 19 years from the final episode of TOS to the first episode of TNG, with a successful film franchise in the interim.

It's only been seven years since Enterprise went off the air. I'd say 2 more Abrams movies and the time will be right for a new show.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
It was 19 years from the final episode of TOS to the first episode of TNG, with a successful film franchise in the interim.

It's only been seven years since Enterprise went off the air. I'd say 2 more Abrams movies and the time will be right for a new show.

...as long as it's not based off of Abrams' movies.

I love TNG but still haven't bought the dvds. Given the glowing reviews of the bluray, I think I'll just wait for that. How's 'Where no one has gone before?'.

Best of Both Worlds should be amazing!

B.K.

If you plan to get the Blu-Ray set for TNG Season One, wait a while!

Okay, just a quick update re: CBS's Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One Blu-ray set. There is a confirmed audio issue that affects 7 episodes in the set - Encounter at Farpoint, Hide and Q, The Big Goodbye, Datalore, 11001001 and Too Short a Season. (Naturally, none of the episodes I watched prior to my review!) The impact is that in the DTS 7.1 mixes for these episodes, character dialogue that should normally be in the center channel is also mixed into the front left and right channels. The other episodes are unaffected. However, there's a secondary audio issue being reported as well in which the PCM audio for some of the extra features on Disc One and Disc Six plays out of sync on at least some models of Blu-ray player. CBS has begun investigating both issues. As soon as we get some kind of official word from them as to what they find to be the cause and how they're going to fix the problems, we'll let you all know.

So just watched Explorers (DS9 S3).

Has to be one of the worst Trek episodes, and possibly one of the worst hours of television I've ever watched. Complete filler that has nothing to do with anything. It's not even an entertaining filler episode. Just boring and bad plots all around.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

Has to be one of the worst Trek episodes, and possibly one of the worst hours of television I've ever watched. Complete filler that has nothing to do with anything. It's not even an entertaining filler episode. Just boring and bad plots all around.

I like the father/son episodes, different than anything else in Star Trek. Thought it was decent filler myself, there's certainly a lot worse. Plus solar sails are cool.

If that's one of the "worst hours of television" you've ever weatched, then you must have not seen a lot of television.

meppi

ONe thing I love about a Bluray release such as this is how you notice things you never noticed before.
This certainly caught me by surprise. :p

ilFPGV7py9XXt.jpg

Sorry about the crappy quality. It's taken off-screen with an iPad.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Getting to the Borg bits in Voyager now, love me some Borg, even if they pussified them a bit for Voyager they are still such a great "bad guy"

I think watching the episodes back to back like I am makes it really obvious how many shuttles they lose through the series.

Like I think I saw someone else mention in the thread, it is a shame Voyager itself never really starts falling apart, it would have been awesome if the sets slowly turned a bit shitty looking and everything wasn't so clean and working fine 99% of the time unless it was for that certain episode.
I thought Enterprise did the whole in the middle of no where getting beaten to a pulp quite well in the Xindi arc, it would have been far cooler to have these ships battered and bruised if only for a few episodes at a time and not introduce a reset button at the end.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I dunno. I don't think it's a successful episode, but I kind of like the heart behind it. It's one of a few episodes that felt to me like an exploration of... not just father and son, but an aware and inward look at a black father and son. Obviously a Bajoran light-ship has nothing to do with earth history, but the clothes Sisko wears and the whole feel of it feel like a journey to rediscover one's roots. Brooks is obviously very outspoken about the fact that he considers himself a Black Actor and wants to be able to address racial issues through his roles and obviously DS9 did that with varying levels of explicitness throughout the series. This felt like one of those episodes.

Also, something I've always hated about Trek is that when they make a reference to earth history, 95%+ of the time, it's Earth history pre-present day, because I guess they're worried about trying to build up too much of an alternate future history where they don't need to. But Bashir and O'Brien singing "Jerusalem" is really cool and one of the better incorporated earth history details out there.

The guy who played Jake was such a terrible actor he really torpedoed all the Ben/Jake episodes.

I didn't mind his material when he wasn't playing Jake (for example in Far Beyond the Stars). I felt like his character had a lot to do with the problems--was he a writer or a journalist? Was he actually any good at writing? None of his lines displayed any real talent for description or anything. And they often played the journalism angle as being in tension with Ben (either because it put Jake in harm's way or because it involved Jake having to be critical of the Federal or whatever).

The Ferengi-centered episodes other than the Earth time travel one are probably my least favourite category.

TheYanger

I didn't like explorers particularly when it aired, but I appreciate it now. I think Jake and Sisko is a great relationship, and I don't think Cirroc is a terrible actor by any means, I think the writers just didn't do a lot with the character. I like what the episode says about the Bajorans, and the father son aspect is something that really needs to be reiterated now and then on the show to keep it in the forefront.

What You Leave Behind would not be as good of an episode without episodes like this, imo.

The other thing about Explorers is that apparently it's the first episode where Sisko has a goatee. I was checking the Memory-Alpha page and apparently this becomes a staple throughout the rest of the series? Like Riker's beard post S1 TNG?

Not sure if I'll like it, but I may get used to it. After watching all the TNG after S1, seeing Riker without the beard just looked odd.

If that's one of the "worst hours of television" you've ever weatched, then you must have not seen a lot of television.

I said "possibly". Really just an exaggeration, but it was pretty boring on all fronts. Bashir's arc was just bad except for the drinking scene with O'Brien, which I still felt was a little drawn out, and the Cardassian fireworks/resolution were kind of silly. The Jake/Sisko bonding time may be important, but purely "emotional" plots don't resonate with me.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
The other thing about Explorers is that apparently it's the first episode where Sisko has a goatee. I was checking the Memory-Alpha page and apparently this becomes a staple throughout the rest of the series? Like Riker's beard post S1 TNG?

Not sure if I'll like it, but I may get used to it. After watching all the TNG after S1, seeing Riker without the beard just looked odd.

It's one of those character development things that suddenly happens in shows to show progression but kinda comes out of no where a lot of the time, lol. He has hair no beard of any sort, then suddenly grows a goatee, then shaves his head and keeps the goatee, you know it is serious business then.

I found it a little weird seeing Sisko in the first few series once he gets the goatee and shaves his head and you get used to it, he looks more badass and makes his earlier appearance a bit like, baby'ish or something.

TheYanger

Yeah it's absolutely like Riker's beard.
Bald, Goatee Sisko = Badass mofucka
No beard sisko with hair = wat, bad episode inc (just like tng season 1)

Top Bottom