• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Its also lol that a highly experimental tactical ship would be taken over by a hostile force. Its like Starfleet doesn't give a shit about protecting its shit. "Lets go take this top secret ship for a test run out for the Romulans to see."

chiQ

I love star Trek, but I find it very difficult to take it seriously. Silly episodes are great, because most of the heavy drama is trite.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Its also lol that a highly experimental tactical ship would be taken over by a hostile force. Its like Starfleet doesn't give a shit about protecting its shit. "Lets go take this top secret ship for a test run out for the Romulans to see."

Starfleet has a history of not protecting its shit.

Like that ship they managed to fucking PHASE INTO AN ASTEROID AND ABANDON FOR 12 YEARS near romulan space?

good job, guys.

maharg

idspispopd
Starfleet has a history of not protecting its shit.

Like that ship they managed to fucking PHASE INTO AN ASTEROID AND ABANDON FOR 12 YEARS near romulan space?

good job, guys.

Or, you know, Earth.

Starfleet: "Enterprise, you're the only ship within range of Earth and there's an Evil Alien Menace Bent On Destroying It!"
Enterprise: "But.. we're on the rim, exploring strange new..."
Starfleet: "Come naooooo*bzzt*"

Yeah, as a Star Trek newbie, it's striking how little precaution they take.

I still don't get why anyone can walk onto the bridge at any time, or for that matter, why they carry the saucer section into areas of uncertainty and potential danger.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
To be fair, Andy Dick is piloting the ship the doctor is on, he is not on Voyager. I forget what it was called, the one that splits into 3 and attacks (which looks as dumb as it sounds).

I fly a Prometheus in Star Trek Online. It's quite fun, although I'm using mine in the role of an unconventional torpedo boat.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Yeah, as a Star Trek newbie, it's striking how little precaution they take.

I still don't get why anyone can walk onto the bridge at any time, or for that matter, why they carry the saucer section into areas of uncertainty and potential danger.

I did actually read a fairly reasonable explanation as to why they don't leave the saucer behind at the first sign of danger. The most striking example was the Odyssey's ill-fated journey into the Gamma Quadrant. Leaving the saucer is supposed to be a last-resort type of measure, and at least in the Odyssey's case, they had plenty of time to debark all of their civvies and non-essential crew at DS9. You'd only leave it behind if you had to get those people away from the stardrive section in a rush. Additionally, the saucer contains two extra engines and several reactors, as well as the ship's two largest phaser arrays and 2/3 of the ship's computer cores. All nice things to have in a battle.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The Inner Light was incredible

and people prefer silly stuff to this awesomeness... nahhh

JoeMartin

A good episode with a non-existent follow through. Fucking spends an entire lifetime married, raising children and grandchildren, making friends and involving himself in a community only to find out at the drop of a hat that it was all fake, snaps back to reality and then BAM Captain of the Enterprise again nbd - yeah there would definitely be no long lasting psychological repercussion from that.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
A good episode with a non-existent follow through. Fucking spends an entire lifetime married, raising children and grandchildren, making friends and involving himself in a community only to find out at the drop of a hat that it was all fake, snaps back to reality and then BAM Captain of the Enterprise again nbd - yeah there would definitely be no long lasting psychological repercussion from that.

they bring it back up eventually

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
"Oh wow, the Enterprise looks amazing."

"Oh cool, there's a little dood flying around it."

"NCC-1701 yeah baby!"

"...."

"........."

"..... ok. It's a starship. Ok. I get it."

"Goddamnit why doesn't the warp core breach or something!"

"Where the hell is spock anyways?"

"Wtf man come on. I could have *buiilt* the Enterprise by now."

Haha yea, pretty much, I'm sure it was great back in the day but with CG being so prevalent these days rarely do you need the amount of shots they did throughout the first film to really take it all in.
But anyway, onto the next on my film journey, Wrath of Kahn, it's been so long since I've seen it I barely remember much. But that Kobayashi Maru test, good fun, I hope in the next Star Trek film they do a few more throw backs to this sort of thing like they did with Kirk cheating.

Though to mention something from the newest film, I love how they did a space version of the navel system to shoot down incoming missiles (whatever it is called), it looked awesome to see smaller weapon fire to destroy incoming weapons, sort of small thing that a lot of space combat stuff misses out that kinda makes sense.

Just finished rewatching Voyager seasons 5 and 6. Huh, that was actually pretty good. Other than the Irish village episodes, of course. But yeah, I was much happier with these two seasons than with most of DS9, which was very formulatic and uninteresting in comparison.

just finished time squared, the creepiest episode of television i've ever seen. ugh.

Picard acted kind of strangely in that episode, shooting the other captain dead always seemed a bit weird to me. I think the vortex was one of Q's tricks, and it was supposed to be revealed 3 episodes later in Q Who, but Roddenberry decided to cut that bit out...

Picard acted kind of strangely in that episode, shooting the other captain dead always seemed a bit weird to me. I think the vortex was one of Q's tricks, and it was supposed to be revealed 3 episodes later in Q Who, but Roddenberry decided to cut that bit out...

You sure you aren't getting the "expanded universe" mixed up with canon? In the hardcover novel Q-Squared, it was established to be Trelayne (one of those godlike guys in the original series), and the same novel established him to be a Q.

Also, oh gods, this was a horrible, horrible episode. Nothing made sense.

Just finished rewatching Voyager seasons 5 and 6. Huh, that was actually pretty good. Other than the Irish village episodes, of course. But yeah, I was much happier with these two seasons than with most of DS9, which was very formulatic and uninteresting in comparison.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no

- Shia, Transformers 3

You sure you aren't getting the "expanded universe" mixed up with canon? In the hardcover novel Q-Squared, it was established to be Trelayne (one of those godlike guys in the original series), and the same novel established him to be a Q.

I haven't read any of those books... Memory Alpha says:

Hurley intended this episode to lead into "Q Who". He explained, "The way it was originally designed, is that three episodes later they're going through space and all of a sudden Picard finds himself stuck in a shuttlecraft in a flash, and he sees the ship falling in to the top of the vortex and exploding. He thinks he's lost his mind; he doesn't know what's going on. Q appears and says, 'Hey, how ya doing?' Picard says, 'You caused that and all these other things?' Q says, 'Ah, well, surprised you didn't put it together earlier. Oh well, you are slow. Just a kind of calling card, something to do. Interesting, wasn't it?'" (Captains' Logs: The Unauthorized Complete Trek Voyages) The idea was nixed by Gene Roddenberry. Hurley complained that it added confusion to the ending. "Why would going into the vortex's center save you? It doesn't make sense. But it does if Q is pulling the strings." (Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hope Mama Robotnick will forgive me for making a Star Trek .gif for gaming side. I could not resist.

DoctorWiiUIPresume.gif

antonz

So, anyone get their TNG Bluray replacements yet? Still waiting for mine and I'm itching to watch them.

Not yet. I am guessing they barely got them in on the time frame they said then they have to sort and package for shipping and then will pick the slowest shipping option possible extending the wait even more

Okay, that GIF is good :D

Also, finally wrapped up Season 4 of DS9 last night. Interesting "twist" at the end there. Not sure if I really like it though. We'll have to see moving forward.

TheYanger

Okay, that GIF is good :D

Also, finally wrapped up Season 4 of DS9 last night. Interesting "twist" at the end there. Not sure if I really like it though. We'll have to see moving forward.

s4 finale twist?
Is that where Odo points and says Gowron is a changeling?
if so it kind of fell flat but the writers realized it during the offseason don't worry.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
s4 finale twist?
Is that where Odo points and says Gowron is a changeling?
if so it kind of fell flat but the writers realized it during the offseason don't worry.
I think he means
Odo becoming human.

I thought the
Gowron changeling stuff
was in series 5.

Edit: maybe you are correct actually.

TheYanger

Oh right right, It provides an interesting enough arc though. The DS9 companion is a fantastic read along with a series watch and I want to say there was some decent insight into what they felt they did poorly in that regard. Love that book.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Watching TNG from the start, the 5th episode in and it must have been one I missed on TV, how the Ferengi first being introduced is very different to how they end up, especially to those on DS9, lol.

I really want a collection of star trek but I'm in two minds about buying TOS and TNG on Blu-Ray since I doubt VOY and DS9 are going to get blu-ray releases.

How is TOS and TNG S1 on BR. DO they look good? Are they locked to 4:6 or are they reformatted to widescreen

Watching TNG from the start, the 5th episode in and it must have been one I missed on TV, how the Ferengi first being introduced is very different to how they end up, especially to those on DS9, lol.

Hell, it's different from the next time we see them.

I read this is because originally threat where supposed to be a ruthless threat, TNG's "Big Bad" like the Kingons were in TOS. The feedback from the introduction was not positive so they re purposed them and created villians like the Borg and Cardassians to fill the roles.

jb1234

I really want a collection of star trek but I'm in two minds about buying TOS and TNG on Blu-Ray since I doubt VOY and DS9 are going to get blu-ray releases.

How is TOS and TNG S1 on BR. DO they look good? Are they locked to 4:6 or are they reformatted to widescreen

They both look terrific and are presented in their original aspect ratio (so 1.33:1).

I just watched TNG 3.22, "The Most Toys." Uh, what was up with the ending? Why was Data possibly lying to Riker, or possibly being blinded by his equivalent of emotion, not addressed? That's too big an issue to ignore.

Cheerilee

I just watched TNG 3.22, "The Most Toys." Uh, what was up with the ending? Why was Data possibly lying to Riker, or possibly being blinded by his equivalent of emotion, not addressed? That's too big an issue to ignore.

For reference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_skkBMvlWBw

Data didn't intend to kill Fajo for crimes like kidnapping/theft, because of his "fundamental respect for all living beings". So he put up with an unacceptable situation while he tried to find a nonlethal exit. He surrendered his position and sat in the chair when Varria's life was threatened. But that could not stop his position from being unacceptable, or from him taking an exit if it became available.

But then Fajo killed Varria in retribution for an escape attempt, without giving Data a chance to surrender. Data's respect for Fajo's life cost Varria her life. In hindsight, killing Fajo would have been just as acceptable as letting Varria die by not killing Fajo. Not killing him sooner was a mistake.

Then Fajo demanded that Data totally and completely submit to him (unacceptable), otherwise he would just kill again. This set up a pattern. Data might have been stupid enough to bet on respect for Fajo's life a second time, but not against more than one life. And no matter how deeply Data submitted to Fajo, his intent to escape would always remain, and there would be a risk that Fajo would kill. Heck, this confirmed killer might kill someone again for something else, even if Data acts his part perfectly.

Data made a coldly logical decision to execute Fajo, and while he was coming to that conclusion, Fajo gave him a lesson in humanity (I know, Fajo's not technically human) by telling him that humans would solve the dilemma by getting angry and killing him. Not only was killing Fajo logical, but it was (apparently) the human-approved solution. So Data tried to kill him. Fajo believed that Data was incapable of killing. He was wrong. Data doesn't like killing.

Then when the Enterprise arrived, the situation changed. Killing Fajo was no longer necessary.

When Riker asked Data about the weapon discharge, Data didn't lie, he omitted. There could be any number of reasons why he'd not actively want people to know that he actually tried to kill a human.

I appreciate the detailed description, and I can follow Data's logical reasoning, indicated by "I cannot permit this to continue." What I don't buy is his response to Riker.

Data omitted, and omission can be a lie. It certainly was in this case. He knows Riker was asking why he fired: he's shown a deep understanding of human communication and frequently replies to implied questions as humans do. The writers wrote him to tell a lie.

It doesn't make any sense. Data is inseparable from Star Fleet. It is the essence of his being, and giving back to Star Fleet is perhaps his highest priority. He acted in a way he thought would preserve the most lives. It was logical, and I don't think Data believes he was acting against the ideals of Star Fleet. It doesn't make sense that he would've thought it "wrong." Heck, I don't believe that he would act in a way that he considers "wrong." He operates by choosing the best path, and he would always acknowledge that to his superiors and friends.

He's made poor decisions in the past, and he's always been upfront about his logic and thought process and has been willing to take correction from Star Fleet officers.

The only way Data would act in a way he didn't consider "right" is if humanity has started to creep into his circuitry, somehow -- perhaps through Lal's imprint onto his brain. I was very surprised they left the episode on this note and didn't address it in the next one (Sarek) either. There are only 3 episodes left in this season, and I doubt it will be brought up in any of them, but maybe further along. I'll try to avoid spoilers :)

Not really a reply to your post but just wanted to mention that Brent Spiner has been guesting on Warehouse 13.

I appreciate the detailed description, and I can follow Data's logical reasoning, indicated by "I cannot permit this to continue." What I don't buy is his response to Riker.

I think the ending was left ambiguous on purpose. And Riker knew from Data's pose that something probably happened, but they both knew it was something that is best left out of Starfleet logs, so Riker didn't push the issue when Data dodged the question.

Volimar

He never said that he didn't fire. He said that something may have happened during transport. He has a vulcan's skill at sidestepping a question without actually lying.

He never said that he didn't fire. He said that something may have happened during transport. He has a vulcan's skill at sidestepping a question without actually lying.
Data was being dishonest. It's a lie of omission.

Even if he was "sidestepping," why? He was acting in a way that he decided was logical and for the greater good, i.e. in the ideals of Starfleet.

Cheerilee

Data was being dishonest. It's a lie of omission.

Even if he was "sidestepping," why? He was acting in a way that he decided was logical and for the greater good, i.e. in the ideals of Starfleet.

Well it was technically a mistake to try and kill Fajo. He decided that Fajo was worth less than inevitable future lives (he wouldn't kill Fajo in retribution for the one life he already took, but he would as a last resort to protect others), and he needed to die. As soon as the Enterprise arrived, it became clear to Data that he was mistaken in his conclusion that other people would inevitably die.

It was a perfectly reasonable mistake, reached through sound logic, but it was still a mistake and he'd like to take it back if he could. Fortunately for him, the absolute finality of his decision happened "during transport", so no harm was done. It's one of those rare occasions where he can take back a mistake.

Top Bottom