• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Archer is is bit too incompetent and stupid for me to like him. He took his goddamn dog with him to a first contact mission.

Listen, if we're going to intentionally pick stuff from the worst episodes of each series then no captain looks competent.

Listen, if we're going to intentionally pick stuff from the worst episodes of each series then no captain looks competent.

Season 1 Picard is still miles better than any season Sisko, Janeway, or Archer and several billion light years better than Abrahms douche FratKirk

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Started TNG Season 2, sudden Riker Beard, you know stuff is going to go down, lol.

Now I know Beverly comes back in a later season, what was the reason she is suddenly gone that someone mentioned in here, writer problems?

Cheerilee

Now I know Beverly comes back in a later season, what was the reason she is suddenly gone that someone mentioned in here, writer problems?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Maurice_Hurley
He became Co-Executive Producer of the series at the end of its first season but left at the end of the second season, after difficulties with Gene Roddenberry. His position as head writer was eventually assumed by his friend, Michael Piller.

The late Herbert J. Wright cited Hurley as one of the reasons he left TNG. He described Hurley as "basically playing drinking buddies with Gene."

Tracy Tormé also named Hurley as one of the causes of his departure, after numerous disagreements over Tormé's scripts.

According to Rick Berman, Hurley was the reason behind Gates McFadden's departure from The Next Generation in its second season, as he disliked her acting and "had a bone to pick with her." After he left the show in the third season, McFadden was invited back by Berman.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Herbert_J._Wright
Wright left The Next Generation near the end of the first season due to the poor treatment given to writers by Gene Roddenberry and Maurice Hurley. He made a brief return to the show as a producer for part of the fifth season at the invitation of Rick Berman. While Wright thought that behind the scenes the fifth season was much friendlier, he left after only a few months, citing creative differences over the show's direction with Michael Piller.

Wright previously worked with Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry when the latter was developing the film The Questor Tapes. The project fell through, however, as Roddenberry left the production due to creative differences with the studio.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tracy_Tormé
During the second season, Tormé came into conflict with the show's head writer, Maurice Hurley. Hurley made extensive revisions to Tormé's script for "The Royale" to the point that Tormé had his name removed from the episode in place of a pseudonym, "Keith Mills." As a result of his experience with "The Royale", Tormé was not entirely committed to his next episode, "Manhunt"; Tormé felt that the episode would not turn out as he had written it anyway, so he put little effort into the episode. As further protest, he used a pseudonym for "Manhunt", as well, this time as "Terry Devereaux". Maurice Hurley left the series after the second season, and executive producer Rick Berman asked Tormé to return for the third season. Tormé declined, however, feeling it was time to move on to other projects.
So much writer problems... Rick Berman comes across as a hero.

Cheerilee

Hang on, I could have sworn it was a sexual harassment issue that made McFadden leave?

It might have been. Berman just says that Hurley disliked McFadden's acting, so he was hostile towards her. Sexual harassment might have been the form of his hostility towards her. Or, that might have been the one part of his negative attitude that was intolerable to her, and pushed her over the tipping point to where she decided it was time to leave. Or maybe Berman just didn't want to talk about sexual harassment, so he came up with a new reason.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Either way, the Hurley guy sounds like a major asshole.

Did you just fucking hate on Benjamin Sisko?

Yes I did. Avery Brooks is a crap actor.

Edit: To further expand on that. He's wooden when the scene calls for him to be contemplative or calm and when he has to emote, he's more hammy than William Shatner on a bad day.

Huh? Pretty sure he was pretty supportive of gay rights. Where'd you hear he had an issue?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexuality_in_Star_Trek#LGBT_in_Star_Trek

Perhaps I'm mixing what I remember with stuff about Rick and TNG.

Yeah. Considering his son his gay, he was pretty supportive by the time TNG rolled around. It was always Rick Berman who dragged his heels when the gay issue came up. Not that I think Berman is anti-gay but that he's clearly a suit who only cared about the studios interests and the studio didn't want gay characters (even if they were background).

Cheerilee

Yeah. Considering his son his gay, he was pretty supportive by the time TNG rolled around. It was always Rick Berman who dragged his heels when the gay issue came up. Not that I think Berman is anti-gay but that he's clearly a suit who only cared about the studios interests and the studio didn't want gay characters (even if they were background).

A number of sources have said that the studio was very hands-off when it came to the details of Star Trek. None of it was to their tastes. All they cared about was "earn us money" and "find a way to earn us even more money". They didn't care how it happened. That was Roddenberry/Berman's job to figure out.

Somebody higher up the ladder than writers/actors didn't want that one subject being touched, and that someone had their fingers in TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise. And if they were lower on the ladder than Roddenberry/Berman, their opinions shouldn't have been worth squat. It was either Berman or some mystery member of Paramount.

And considering that the mystery person tried to shoot down Whoopi's innocent little subversive ad-lib within minutes of it happening, I'd say it was Berman, not some distant suit sitting on the board of Paramount.

So after coming home from work tonight I discovered my replacement TNG Blurays arrived! They also came with a neat little collectible postcard (cell phone pic)

G6PMS.jpg

There's a letter on the other side in the blue TNG Credits font apologizing for the trouble.

Cheerilee

He was saying Berman *was* the suit, not that there was some suit telling Berman what to do.
he's clearly a suit who only cared about the studios interests

and the studio didn't want gay characters
I read that as saying that Berman was just a middleman, and it was the faceless studio who was responsible.

A middleman wouldn't get upset and try to get Whoopi to re-record her lines to specifically exclude gay people after deviating slightly from the script and saying "When two people are in love..." If a middleman were merely following some overall anti-gay sentiment, they'd let that slide. A believer had to order a response to that ad-lib.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I read that as saying that Berman was just a middleman, and it was the faceless studio who was responsible.

A middleman wouldn't get upset and try to get Whoopi to re-record her lines to specifically exclude gay people after deviating slightly from the script and saying "When two people are in love..." If a middleman were merely following some overall anti-gay sentiment, they'd let that slide. A believer had to order a response to that ad-lib.

Honestly, I always assumed it was Berman or Roddenberry. I'm surprised that the Dax episode got made at least, even thought it had to end with the "bad ending".

Heh, thinking about the TNG episode, "First Contact..."

That can't have been too healthy for obsessive fans at the time: the ultimate fantasy of superior aliens coming to take you away from your banal terrestrial life and on mind-bending adventures. The writers were cruel!

Heh, thinking about the TNG episode, "First Contact..."

That can't have been too healthy for obsessive fans at the time: the ultimate fantasy of superior aliens coming to take you away from your banal terrestrial life and on mind-bending adventures. The writers were cruel!

That woman later went on to become a Romulan commander. What a fiend!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Have I missed an episode where they give you information on Guinan, watching "Q Who" which is episode 16 of series 2 where they introduce the borg, everyone seems to know all this information on Guinan but I can't remember them divulging anything up to this point.

Have I just missed a conversation about her up to this point or do they just not explain.

Have I missed an episode where they give you information on Guinan, watching "Q Who" which is episode 16 of series 2 where they introduce the borg, everyone seems to know all this information on Guinan but I can't remember them divulging anything up to this point.

Have I just missed a conversation about her up to this point or do they just not explain.
I don't think so. I'm towards the beginning of season 5 and so far she's mostly a deus ex machina, her unspecified abilities coming in and out of play at arbitrarily chosen times.

By the way, s5e2, "Darmok," is fantastic. This episode is why I watch Star Trek. The imagination of the writers in developing a completely foreign way of communication was really eye opening. I was as frustrated as Picard in the beginning, but by the end I could follow along in his simplistic conversation with the alien first officer.

I really hope there is more stuff like this in the next three seasons, and in DS9, to complement the otherwise human-like conflicts the Klingons and others are experiencing; it's still great drama, but I'd like to see some otherworldly situations as well.

Been watching more DS9 episodes over the past few days - it has been awhile, so I'll give a rundown.

Just finished "In the Cards" S5E25. Great story that was pretty endearing.

"Empok Nor" before that was kind of interesting (I enjoy "haunted" space ship/station locales), though it was clearly (cleverly) done as a money saver with Empok Nor being a copy of DS9, using the exact same sets, just with the lights off.

I skipped "Blaze of Glory" to last night and then came back to it today. Boring story - I'm just glad that guy is finally out of the picture. He was super annoying.

"Doctor Bashir, I Presume" was simply fantastic, though I have a great appreciation for Richard Picardo having watched Voyager and Stargate.

"Ferengi Love Songs" was a good episode, though I'm still not a huge fan of the Ferengi-centric stories.

"Children of Time" was an interesting episode, though not actually that great upon reflection. More of a philosophy concept episode than anything else, other than the progression of Odo and Kira's relationship.

Any episodes I didn't mention that would be mixed up between the ones I did I just don't have much to say about. Either they're fine/passable and/or didn't make as large an impact on me.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Most of the way through Season 3 of TNG at the moment, it's amusing to see the changes as the show goes on, from fat phasers to Worfs hair and general make up getting less obvious looking. DS9 and Voyager seemed to have Everytjing sorted in the design department beforehand so rarely did anything actually change, at least not that I noticed.

Also, Patrick Stewart is awesome, the other captains are nice and all but they all just stand in the great shadow of Picard.

maharg

idspispopd
Most of the way through Season 3 of TNG at the moment, it's amusing to see the changes as the show goes on, from fat phasers to Worfs hair and general make up getting less obvious looking. DS9 and Voyager seemed to have Everytjing sorted in the design department beforehand so rarely did anything actually change, at least not that I noticed.

Also, Patrick Stewart is awesome, the other captains are nice and all but they all just stand in the great shadow of Picard.

The Defiant and the Delta Flyer would be the major design shifts for DS9 and Voyager, really. But yeah, otherwise they mostly took the style TNG created and ran with it.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So after coming home from work tonight I discovered my replacement TNG Blurays arrived! They also came with a neat little collectible postcard.

There's a letter on the other side in the blue TNG Credits font apologizing for the trouble.
Got that too. It's a nice touch.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Still no sign of my replacement discs for the BR set. If I don't have them by the end of the week I'm calling again.

Yeah, you should get them soon. I'm on the east coast, so that may have been why I didn't get them earlier (weren't west coasters getting them first?)

Yuripaw

Banned
IMAG0252.jpg

Found these in one of my old boxes. Do any of you older Star Trek fans recognize these? They're an series of trading cards put out in the early/mid 90s for Star Trek 25th anniversary. They had an original series set, and TNG set.

When I was a kid, I think in the year 1995, I lived near a place in Florida that sold booster packs of these cards, and I would buy them every chance I get, because I wanted the complete set. I was never able to get completely there, my collection was always 4 cards short of the complete original series set. Even still, this is cool to look back on. I was only 12 at the time, but I was a big Star Trek OS fan.

These cards are one of the only things in my life I still have from my childhood I feel, because I've had to sell or lost a lot of things from those days. I was stupid and gave away all my Ninja Turtle figures when I thought I was getting too old for that stuff -_-

I've always loved original Star Trek though. Around the same time I was buying these cards, and before TV series were easily available on DVD, or the internet, I would record episodes off of TV every night at 11PM, because I was trying to get all 79 episodes. Sure, they sold each episode on VHS separately, but it was like $10-15 per episode, with only 1 show on each tape. I was a kid, I didn't have that kind of money, heh. I would look in the newspaper every week, and read the description of the episodes that would be aired, and see if it was one I had already recorded. I had like 13 VHS tapes recorded at the SLP speed so I could fit more shows, lol I did that for at least a year, because they would sometimes rerun shows.

I know this is a Star Trek thread, but I also found these cards with my Star Trek ones. My dad gave this to me when I was a kid, I don't think they're worth anything, but they look like they're from 1977.
IMAG0253.jpg

So season 6 of DS9 has really kicked things into high gear. Every episode I've seen so far except perhaps "Rocks and Shoals" has been quite compelling, though I suppose that's because it's been following a continuous, exciting story thread without letting up for any bottle episodes and without any C stories with the B ones still being extremely relevant.

"Rocks and Shoals" wasn't that great, but it was kind of a two-parter with the premiere, so you have to watch it anyway to see the resolution of the first episode.

MC Safety

I know this is a Star Trek thread, but I also found these cards with my Star Trek ones. My dad gave this to me when I was a kid, I don't think they're worth anything, but they look like they're from 1977.
IMAG0253.jpg

I think those may be the original Star Wars cards, although I'm hardly an expert.

Topps usually includes a publication date on the back. That may point you in the right direction.

So season 6 of DS9 has really kicked things into high gear. Every episode I've seen so far except perhaps "Rocks and Shoals" has been quite compelling, though I suppose that's because it's been following a continuous, exciting story thread without letting up for any bottle episodes and without any C stories with the B ones still being extremely relevant.

"Rocks and Shoals" wasn't that great, but it was kind of a two-parter with the premiere, so you have to watch it anyway to see the resolution of the first episode.

Rocks and Schoals is a great episode. It's Sons and Daughters that's the weakest one.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
yeah how do you not like Rocks and Shoals?

It's like the only episode that makes you feel bad for the Jem'Hadar

B.K.

IMAG0252.jpg

Found these in one of my old boxes. Do any of you older Star Trek fans recognize these? They're an series of trading cards put out in the early/mid 90s for Star Trek 25th anniversary. They had an original series set, and TNG set.

I've got some of those somewhere. I bought two or three boxes of both the TOS and TNG cards.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Just watched the TNG episode "Second Chances", which is the one where we meet the other Riker.
Good episode, but doesn't exactly make transporters seem like the greatest thing ever. If you can lock 2 or more transporter signals to a single object, wouldn't that make duplication of anything quite easy in the wrong hands?

Would have been interesting to see the same episode concept, but with the Rikers getting along well.

A couple of years ago, in my Crim. Law class my professor put on an episode of Star Trek. Measure of a Man. Now I've watched TNG, DS9 and Enterprise on Netflix, next up Voyager. All thanks to Judge Shelton.

Top Bottom