• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Just watched the TNG episode "Second Chances", which is the one where we meet the other Riker.
Good episode, but doesn't exactly make transporters seem like the greatest thing ever. If you can lock 2 or more transporter signals to a single object, wouldn't that make duplication of anything quite easy in the wrong hands?

Would have been interesting to see the same episode concept, but with the Rikers getting along well.

It also makes the Tuvix situation on Voyager even more fucked up.

Tesseract

Banned
eqhkh.jpg

Just watched the TNG episode "Second Chances", which is the one where we meet the other Riker.
Good episode, but doesn't exactly make transporters seem like the greatest thing ever. If you can lock 2 or more transporter signals to a single object, wouldn't that make duplication of anything quite easy in the wrong hands?
Been a while since I've seen it, but I think we're supposed to attribute the unusual effect of the field around the planet as partly to blame. A recent Titan novel did pick up on this, though, and had some people trying to recreate the effect.

Just watched TNG episode Conundrum, where everyone loses his memory.

The most ridiculous thing was that at the beginning of the episode, Troi beat Data in space chess.

Come on, dude. Come on.

Htown

There is one thing I really liked about that episode.
The way they introduced MacDuff. At first I thought he was just one of the random low level officers that are on the bridge at all times. I thought it was really smoothly done.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
almost done with season 5 of voyager.

its almost comical how many shuttles they tend to lose or blow up within a short span. then they build the delta flyer, so hopefully they dont fucking have to have shuttles blow up since its actually a named shuttle... then they go and blow one up 2 episodes later.

fucking lol.

i generally enjoy it anyway if i ignore the stupidity of the lack of continuity. they just had writers that didn't care.

i think some of the best/memorable episodes have been the little one-off episodes like the EMH backup episode and the bio-mimitic voyager episode. Year of Hell was pretty cool, too, and the 2 parter with Kurtwood Smith.

there's a lot of bad episodes, though. The boxing one with Chakotay was terrible.

7 of 9 always seems to just have her "scene" at the end of each episode where she tells everyone they're a fucking idiot and then goes away since they couldnt figure out how else to put her in the episode but had to have her appear on screen with a minimum of lines because it was in her contract. could definitely do without some of that dialogue, since it accomplishes nothing.

it was a very backdrop element of the whole story and didn't really get the focus it deserved. i personally liked the angle because it "came back" 5 years later as an important plot point which you didnt fully understand unless you watched it from the beginning.

its almost comical how many shuttles they tend to lose or blow up within a short span. then they build the delta flyer, so hopefully they dont fucking have to have shuttles blow up since its actually a named shuttle... then they go and blow one up 2 episodes later.

fucking lol.
After some Bad Things happened in the latest Voyager book, I was amused by this quote: "We can't keep going through ships out here like we used to go through shuttles."

maharg

idspispopd
Just watched TNG episode Conundrum, where everyone loses his memory.

The most ridiculous thing was that at the beginning of the episode, Troi beat Data in space chess.

Come on, dude. Come on.

It was the early 90s. People still thought humans would always be able to beat computers at chess for some reason. It's like people thinking computers could never drive a car better than a human now.

Oh wait, was that a symptom of the memory manipulation? I don't remember.

Htown

it was a very backdrop element of the whole story and didn't really get the focus it deserved. i personally liked the angle because it "came back" 5 years later as an important plot point which you didnt fully understand unless you watched it from the beginning.

I mean, kind of, in the sense that they didn't appear onscreen that often. They were mentioned every other episode though, and with a heavy focus on the "will of the prophets" and their relationship to Sisko on most Bajor-focused episodes...

Oh wait, was that a symptom of the memory manipulation? I don't remember.
Nah, it was before anything happens. It was supposed to be a lesson about "intuition," which made it even a little more insulting, considering Data has been able to account for, react to, and immitate human intuition in the past, including in life or death situations. Also, a few seasons before, he used an "off the books" approach to draw Kolrami (undoubtedly vastly superior at strategy games than Troi) in a game of Strategema (undoubtedly vastly more complex than chess). It was definitely a weird bit of writing, but there are bound to be a few odd ends here and there over the show's run.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Picard is awesome, lol, he just keeps getting better as the series goes on, and there are so many episodes of TNG I missed when watching re-runs of it which is great due to the lack of Star Trek to watch these days.

I wish I could be his executive officer in charge of radishes, lol.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I mean, kind of, in the sense that they didn't appear onscreen that often. They were mentioned every other episode though, and with a heavy focus on the "will of the prophets" and their relationship to Sisko on most Bajor-focused episodes...

those were more used as "excuses" and "explanations" rather than real plot points though. it came back often enough, but i dont think there needed to be more of it, since that was the ever-looming question.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just watched the season 3 finale of Enterprise. Wow, that last scene was some straight Dr.Who shit. :x
Now you enter either the best or worst season of Enterprise. lol

(I think S4 fanwank of the worst order, but Coto wasn't given much to work with after the S3 finale lol).

maharg

idspispopd
Now you enter either the best or worst season of Enterprise. lol

(I think S4 fanwank of the worst order, but Coto wasn't given much to work with after the S3 finale lol).

After like 10 years of Trek being run by people who don't like Trek it needed the fanwank.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
After like 10 years of Trek being run by people who don't like Trek it needed the fanwank.
Ugh, fanwank once in a while is fine - like the TOS crossover episode on DS9. Constant fanwank is just grating. It was a fan-fiction season and totally unbearable at times.

Say what you will about Generations but is has hands down the best poster art of all the movies.

http://www.moviegoods.com//Assets/product_images/1020/190499.1020.A.jpg
I liked them better when they were art and didn't look like a photoshop rush job...

Htown

It was a prequel series. They had to get into some of that stuff eventually.

People got mad when they didn't do that stuff, and a separate group of people got mad when they did do that stuff.

::shrug::

I liked season 4 a lot. It wasn't perfect by any means, but they were trying something new, and it was higher quality than a lot of the series previously, so... no real complaints.

The best part of Enterprise is still the last third or so of Season 3, once the Xindi arc really got down to business.

Walshicus

Absolutely right. Enterprise Series 4 carried on the successful episode arc structure, while tying the show in to the greater Trek universe.

Also, the worst episode in Series 4 of ENT is still lightyears better than the best episode of any series of Voyager...

Also, the worst episode in Series 4 of ENT is still lightyears better than the best episode of any series of Voyager...
"These are the voyages..." is NOT better than "Living Witness".

And I usually hate Voyager. But Living Witness is a strong and ambitious story. Uncharacteristically magnificent for Voyager, in fact.

maharg

idspispopd
These are the voyages doesn't count. Just Berman and Braga trying to get the last word in the franchise they ran into the ground.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Finished reading the new Voyager novel, The Eternal Tide. Glad that while the Typhoon Pact series seems to be all over the place in terms of quality, the Voyager reboot is relatively solid in it's entertainment value, even if it's completely ludicrous sometimes.

After some Bad Things happened in the latest Voyager book, I was amused by this quote: "We can't keep going through ships out here like we used to go through shuttles."

I laughed at this too

rexor0717

I just got all excited after watching "The Augments". The entire time, I was waiting for him to start talking about artificial life.
3AQmK.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
"These are the voyages..." is NOT better than "Living Witness".

And I usually hate Voyager. But Living Witness is a strong and ambitious story. Uncharacteristically magnificent for Voyager, in fact.
These are the voyages doesn't count. Just Berman and Braga trying to get the last word in the franchise they ran into the ground.
IIRC, it was like the JMS thing with Sleeping in the Light - they did it or planned it for season 3 but it got picked up so they saved it for S4.

And really, I didn't think TATV was any worse than the fanwank stuff (ugh, stupid Klingon forehead arc) in S4.

TheYanger

IIRC, it was like the JMS thing with Sleeping in the Light - they did it or planned it for season 3 but it got picked up so they saved it for S4.

And really, I didn't think TATV was any worse than the fanwank stuff (ugh, stupid Klingon forehead arc) in S4.

From MA:
This episode was reported to have been written as a possible finale for the show's third season should the series not have been renewed. According to Enterprise producer Mike Sussman, however, while the idea for this episode was conceived during that year, the episode was not written until season 4.

Either way, even if it had been fully written, it wasn't filmed until S4, so it's not the same. Sleeping in the Light was FILMEd in season 4 and aired in season 5. Plus, Sleeping in the Light is touching and an amazing finale, These Are The Voyages is trash ;p

Rinoa

There is one thing I really liked about that episode.
The way they introduced MacDuff. At first I thought he was just one of the random low level officers that are on the bridge at all times. I thought it was really smoothly done.

TNG "Conundrum" spoiler:
For sure. I really thought the writers needed someone to kill so they just brought some dude on the bridge.

Yeah. Especially how he was on the bridge I think in the teaser but no real focus on him so it was very natural and unnoticable.
Until you see his pips and you're like wtf red shirt with a speaking role? Also LOL @ "executive officer" what the hell is that?

Yeah. Especially how he was on the bridge I think in the teaser but no real focus on him so it was very natural and unnoticable.
Until you see his pips and you're like wtf red shirt with a speaking role? Also LOL @ "executive officer" what the hell is that?

Except
he's not on the bridge till after the memory beam wipes their memories. The only people on the bridge are the senior staff (sans Troi, Data, and Crusher) and Ro.

Top Bottom