• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GOP has lost the race for NC Governor, is now trying to steal it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Democrats and Republicans in this fiercely contested political battleground have regularly resorted to creative legal maneuvers and election-law changes in their efforts to wring every last vote from the state’s nearly seven million voters. But even by that standard, the disputed, hairbreadth race for governor is plowing litigious and acrimonious ground.

Scrambling to save the incumbent governor, Pat McCrory, Republicans said they were pursuing protests in about half of North Carolina’s 100 counties, alleging that fraud and technical troubles had pushed the Democratic nominee, Attorney General Roy Cooper, to a statewide lead of more than 6,500 votes. But Republican-controlled county elections boards, including one here in vote-rich Durham County, turned back some of the challenges on Friday.

The legal and political jockeying raised the specter of a recount, and it could ultimately climax in a political wild card: Mr. McCrory using a state law to contest the election in the state’s Republican-dominated General Assembly.

“We’re supposed to have an inauguration on Jan. 7,” Theresa Kostrzewa, a Republican lobbyist, said Friday. “Are we going to have a governor? That, I think, is what most people are going to start wondering pretty soon.”

But the immediate question in North Carolina is how long Mr. McCrory will dispute the results and whether he might ultimately ask the General Assembly to consider the election.

Under state law, the legislature could order a new election or, “if it can determine which candidate received the highest number of votes,” it may declare a winner. The law asserts that the legislature’s decision in such a contest is “not reviewable” by the courts.

Mr. Diaz said talk about legislative involvement “seems to be media-driven speculation, but we’re not going to discuss possible future steps that the campaign may or may not take.”

He added, “We are extremely concerned about the voter fraud revelations that are emerging across the state and intend to ensure that every vote is counted and counted properly.”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/1...ayspaper&_r=0&referer=https://t.co/xiX2iYHXJM

Yay! "Voter fraud!" complaints taken to their logical conclusion. Fuck McCrory, fuck his minors, fuck these losers, suck it up and cry elsewhere.

Yoda

I really do wonder exactly how the "issue" of Transgender people being in bathrooms came up during Republican strategy sessions... Talk about sore losers haha

Jeels

What is this shit? Was the gerrymandering and voter suppression not enough for them? Now they just don't accept results while the rest of the country has to accept an orange monster as their president...

Ogodei

If they have their gerrymandered-to-hell legislature decide the election, then he'll have a hell of a time even if he does succeed. He'll have no legitimacy and no mandate.

Volimar

You assholes purged voters from the rolls and yet you talk about fraud? Pathetic.

Bring back the Voting Rights Act.

Breads

Banned
It would be pretty amazing if he still lost despite fighting tooth and nail to use every trick in the book to suppress the minority vote. Fucking filth...

Bring back the Voting Rights Act.

Also yes. It was a tragedy that it was repealed because "racism ended". This was abused IMMEDIATELY.

If they have their gerrymandered-to-hell legislature decide the election, then he'll have a hell of a time even if he does succeed. He'll have no legitimacy and no mandate.

You don't need legitimacy or a mandate to govern if you hate the people who didn't vote for you.

Blader

The idea of McCrory throwing the race to his Republican legislature, which would give him the unimpeachable win, is so depressing evil to think about that it sounds exactly like what'll happen.

People here hate this guy so much that I know diehard republican TRUMP supporters that voted against him.

Pat McCrory isn't just trash he is rotten, stinky, mildew ridden, trash.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Under state law, the legislature could order a new election or, “if it can determine which candidate received the highest number of votes,” it may declare a winner. The law asserts that the legislature’s decision in such a contest is “not reviewable” by the courts.
So we're a dictatorship now. Fantastic.

I think this election has actually discouraged me from participating in politics, and yes, that includes voting. I know that's exactly what these people want, but it's become obvious their methods work and their supporters are happy to accept it. I honestly don't see how this can be fought.

And I know everyone here is going to tell me to "keep fighting" and whatever else, but seriously, look what just happened. Democrats got completely slaughtered. If Donald Trump as president wasn't enough incentive to get out the vote for Democrats, I don't see any hope of it against "normal" Republicans.

I think the results of 2018 midterms are going to prove me right, unfortunately. It's pretty dire.

Kusagari

Both Burr and Trump won the state fairly easily.

It says how hated he is that even his rabid voter suppression tactics couldn't help him.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Both Burr and Trump won the state fairly easily.

It says how hated he is that even his rabid voter suppression tactics couldn't help him.

Didn't Trump lose in NC exit polling?

Future

No side can accept defeat lol.

Politics really is like a pundit show. Just two sides screaming at each other spinning opinions into facts and dismissing facts as opinion/rigged/bias whatever.

No one wants democracy. They want to claim that have popularity when they don't, and want to win regardless.... and still claim everyone loves them. Very similar to trump himself, claiming everyone loves him regardless if evidence says otherwise

Really easy to just slither in "I don't give a shit mode" like half the country that doesn't bother to vote

Politics really is like a pundit show. Just two sides screaming at each other spinning opinions into facts and dismissing facts as opinion/rigged/bias whatever.

No one wants democracy. They want to claim that have popularity when they don't, and want to win regardless.... and still claim everyone loves them. Very similar to trump himself, claiming everyone loves him regardless if evidence says otherwise

Really easy to just slither in "I don't give a shit mode" like half the country that doesn't bother to vote

Clinton and Obama made it clear within 24 hours that Trump won and that Americans need to accept it. The only side not accepting results are the republicans.

What are you talking about? Clinton conceded to Trump thr night of. And Obama has been out there stressing smooth transition.

GOP are the ones acting like the little bitches they are.

This "both sides" crap is idiotic.

This election has shown me that a lot of people will gladly set themselves on fire as long as they can also see the "other" burn.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. As long as they aren't the only ones on fire, that's all that matters.

Can't stand to see anybody but themselves do well.

Breads

Banned
I wish Dems would fight for the election as hard as Repubs do.

Hard to find the enthusiasm when the liberal elites representing the voters are more interested in courting other liberal elites than the working class. Even then, on social issues alone, we may very well be looking at record voter turnouts (we're still counting) so I dunno. Gonna be a lot to think about in the coming months.

Averon

This is another reason why the Democrats need to get off their butts and start competing at the state and local levels. This move to use the legislature to steal the election would not even be an option without the super majority the GOP enjoys.

Slayven

Dude is going to be rewarded for costing the state billions because of where people shit.

At least Sheriff Joe Aprarrpo is gone. That alone gives me hope

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
FWIW, Cooper now has a 7900 vote lead (and counting).

That's such a large margin that proving voter fraud for nearly 10,000 votes is impossible.

This isn't Florida in the 2000 presidential election where that was like ~550?

You're just not going to come up with thousands of votes out of thin air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom