• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GOP has lost the race for NC Governor, is now trying to steal it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Anybody know if the Republicans in the legislature have veto proof majorities in both houses? Cause if so, it's not really gonna matter if the Dem wins.

That's such a large margin that proving voter fraud for nearly 10,000 votes is impossible.

This isn't Florida in the 2000 presidential election where that was like ~550?

You're just not going to come up with thousands of votes out of thin air.

I imagine the goal will not be to create votes out of thin air, but make a lot of votes "disappear" from a certain demographic.

That's such a large margin that proving voter fraud for nearly 10,000 votes is impossible.

This isn't Florida in the 2000 presidential election where that was like ~550?

You're just not going to come up with thousands of votes out of thin air.

You watch.

They'll find a way.

Anybody know if the Republicans in the legislature have veto proof majorities in both houses? Cause if so, it's not really gonna matter if the Dem wins.

They don't have veto proof majorities, they have filibuster proof majorities, but the governor can veto the party line bills if Cooper is elected.

ryseing

People here hate this guy so much that I know diehard republican TRUMP supporters that voted against him.

Pat McCrory isn't just trash he is rotten, stinky, mildew ridden, trash.

Yeah, my parents are Trump voters and they voted against him.

Obviously McCrory is a POS, but what really killed him among that crowd was businesses pulling out. He's embarrassed the state and it looks like he's going to try to continue doing so.

FyreWulff

What is this shit? Was the gerrymandering and voter suppression not enough for them? Now they just don't accept results while the rest of the country has to accept an orange monster as their president...

I mean, they've outright stolen a Supreme Court nomination. Instead of adapting they're just trying to close the door.

Dryk

It's really worrying that it was possible for the legislature to give themselves unappealable power to decide the election. Where the fuck are your famous checks and balances?

It's also really frustrating that time and time again taking the moral high ground is met with a collective shrug by the population.

Also yes. It was a tragedy that it was repealed because "racism ended". This was abused IMMEDIATELY.
Basically this happened
945510.gif

Very glad I passed on an offer from Chapel Hill, NC seems to be a fundamentally broken state at the moment. It's a tremendous shame, because there are a ton of great people and great things there too.

Dryk

Also can we talk about how garbage that headline is? "Battles to save governor" what a load of horseshit.

Never mind, the GOP does have veto override majorities still :/

But the governor can still make appointments and there's a very good chance we can break the supermajority in 2018 if there's a wave election from Paul Ryan going after Medicare.

Finalizer

I imagine the goal will not be to create votes out of thin air, but make a lot of votes "disappear" from a certain demographic.

Eeeeyup. I fully expect our good GOP friends here to pull every dirty, shitty trick possible to slime back into complete control. There's also some fun talk of court packing if you're looking for a cherry on top of the shit sundae.

This makes me so angry. Democracy is on a path to death in the US. The conservatives are literal fascists who want to claim power and stay in power regardless of method.

Fuck the Republicans

grumble

So we're a dictatorship now. Fantastic.

I think this election has actually discouraged me from participating in politics, and yes, that includes voting. I know that's exactly what these people want, but it's become obvious their methods work and their supporters are happy to accept it. I honestly don't see how this can be fought.

And I know everyone here is going to tell me to "keep fighting" and whatever else, but seriously, look what just happened. Democrats got completely slaughtered. If Donald Trump as president wasn't enough incentive to get out the vote for Democrats, I don't see any hope of it against "normal" Republicans.

I think the results of 2018 midterms are going to prove me right, unfortunately. It's pretty dire.

They want people like you to support them by not voting. In this case, it's true that if you aren't part of the solution then you're part of the problem.

Voter Fraud = Minorities Voting

right?

Wasn't even just minorities. This is a state that Trump won by 200,000 votes and he's still lost the governorship by this razor thin margin. This win came out of a massive public outcry against McCrory's push for toll roads being added to Charlotte's newly completed highway, generally considered to be a stab in the back coming from the former city mayor, and the disastrous effects HB2 has had on our state economy with so many businesses and events across the board turning elsewhere to plant their roots. Dude's a scumbag and not even his center right leaning supporters could bring themselves to vote for him this time around.

Edit :
Here's McCrory blaming HB2 on Democrats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzIEt9urB6o#t=4m24s

"If only they'd stayed in their place this wouldn't have ever happened!"

This makes me so angry. Democracy is on a path to death in the US. The conservatives are literal fascists who want to claim power and stay in power regardless of method.

Fuck the Republicans

Said it another thread but we don't have a check against a malevolent party. The founding fathers sought to protect from tyranny of the majority and from tyranny of an individual, but they didn't foresee a party specifically working against democracy from within.

Phreaker

Very glad I passed on an offer from Chapel Hill, NC seems to be a fundamentally broken state at the moment. It's a tremendous shame, because there are a ton of great people and great things there too.

That's too bad, Chapel Hill and NC in general is a beautiful place and we need more Dems here :)

Hopefully McCrory concedes this week, pressure is mounting and votes are only increasing for Cooper. Cooper Tweeted this video a bit ago: https://twitter.com/RoyCooperNC/status/800469348028514304

commedieu

Banned
Said it another thread but we don't have a check against a malevolent party. The founding fathers sought to protect from tyranny of the majority and from tyranny of an individual, but they didn't foresee a party specifically working against democracy from within.

Yeah it did..we've all got the right to have guns. Unfortunately we shame everyone protesting or rioting in america.

We would all literally rather stand by and let fascism go full bore, than stand up to it and stomp that shit out because violence is ALWAYS bad.

We've got a literal party of hate, about to run the country. We are playing by rules they are just using to spite Americans. Shits sad to watch. From such a bombastic culture. If The boston tea party wouldn't have happened today, people would complain about the property damage.

The gop isn't just some sort of opinion to discuss.

LCGeek

formerly sane

This is bullshit 100%. George Washington called out political parties for what they were and inevitably would do with the power they attain. Most people just gloss over his sentiment on the issue despite it being accurate as hell.

The problem our founding fathers had is they placed too much hope in the vigilance in the citizens of this country to keep things right.

daveo42

Banned
Odd question, but if there were so many incidents of voter fraud in NC, why did a democrat win governor but HIllary lost the state? Maybe there was enough voter fraud everywhere we need to redo the presidential election as well. I mean, voter fraud seems to be everywhere!

Kenstar

Yeah it did..we've all got the right to have guns. Unfortunately we shame everyone protesting or rioting in america.

We would all literally rather stand by and let fascism go full bore, than stand up to it and stomp that shit out because violence is ALWAYS bad.

We've got a literal party of hate, about to run the country. We are playing by rules they are just using to spite Americans. Shits sad to watch. From such a bombastic culture. If The boston tea party wouldn't have happened today, people would complain about the property damage.

The gop isn't just some sort of opinion to discuss.

I'd HOPE that a bunch of white dudes disguised as minorities trashing gov. property wouldn't go over well in 2016

Blader

Odd question, but if there were so many incidents of voter fraud in NC, why did a democrat win governor but HIllary lost the state? Maybe there was enough voter fraud everywhere we need to redo the presidential election as well. I mean, voter fraud seems to be everywhere!
Cooper won despite Trump carrying the state because Republican voters turned on McCrory too.

Phreaker

Exactly! I tweeted him, "I know it must be a hard pill to swallow, that even some Trump voters don't want you, but it's true. Time to move on, let it go." :)

I never want to hear that both parties are the same. GOP is active scum. They exist to disenfranchise and strip rights from people and act like children when they can't keep the men and women they hate. Pathetic, two faced and slimy and my heart breaks for the people who know they'll suffer under them watch as they whine and cry foul and keep their ears plugged and eyes blinded as to what true unfairness is like.

Why are democrats accepting elections results if Republicans arent whenever they lose?

Fuck these people.

Because our base actually punishes us for attacking the very fabric of the country. GOP base has bigger things to worry about, like whether or not Starbucks is using the right kind of cups.

Uh, isn't there more evidence that the GOP committed voter fraud given the rulings on voter ID laws?

When the GOP does it, they're preserving the will of the people/safeguarding democracy/respecting the founders.

Holy shit, why even waste their time on voter fraud and gerrymandering if they can just self elect their own party members? Republicans clearly don't give a shit about the votes or the election.

Magni

So we're a dictatorship now. Fantastic.

I think this election has actually discouraged me from participating in politics, and yes, that includes voting. I know that's exactly what these people want, but it's become obvious their methods work and their supporters are happy to accept it. I honestly don't see how this can be fought.

And I know everyone here is going to tell me to "keep fighting" and whatever else, but seriously, look what just happened. Democrats got completely slaughtered. If Donald Trump as president wasn't enough incentive to get out the vote for Democrats, I don't see any hope of it against "normal" Republicans.

I think the results of 2018 midterms are going to prove me right, unfortunately. It's pretty dire.

To the first, the least you can do is vote.

To the second, if you don't vote, then you are part of the problem in 2018.

This is all about Durham county, they can't stand that they lost the race "out of the blue" once our early votes were finally tabulated at put Cooper over the top. Durham is everything the NC GOP hates-white upper-middle class liberals, gays, and of course THE BLACKS, and it drives them crazy that they lost the Governor's mansion to those voters late in the night when our votes came in.

This is about A) trying to make something out of nothing in a last ditch effort and B) trying to justify more voter suppression laws that they'll attempt to veto-proof through the legislature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom