• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Ri

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wouldn't it be fun to play just one mission that way, though?

"Come on, come on, come on, this TRUNK IS FILLED WITH COCAINE LADY!!!"

:lol

$10 says its in the game, i hope it is.

Ynos Yrros said:
So you're going to look throug hours of footage to see single occurrence of pop up on PS3 version?

I'm sorry, I thought that the video that I linked to (the IGN comparison vid) was only 5 minutes long. I was unaware that it contained hours of PS3 footage.

I was under the impression that the PS3 version does not have pop-in and this clip shows that is not the case. What's the fucking problem?

Bebpo said:
That has to be the worst comparison video I've ever seen in my life. The footage doesn't match up at all...

I am not going to argue with that. This is IGN, dude.

mintylurb

Dot50Cal said:
Don't worry, this place will be better for this. Eventually a mod will slog through this whole topic and clean house.

Hi bish :D
bishalert05.jpg

B-Ri

BenjaminBirdie said:
"Listen, Niko. Just this once, don't break one rule, okay? I want this to be totally inconspicuous."

The tension.

"ONE MORE STRIKE ON YOUR LICENSE AND YOURE FIRED!!!! "

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JB1981 said:
EVAR RAWR

how is it not the greatest looking console game eveR? I totally agree with JB. I've played through it four times now and I am consistently amazed. Proved to me the Triple was not a gimped up piece of shit.

Y2Kev said:
how is it not the greatest looking console game eveR? I totally agree with JB. I've played through it four times now and I am consistently amazed. Proved to me the Triple was not a gimped up piece of shit.

You needed that qualifier. Crysis is the best looking game ever.

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
Review builds may contain some differences, but to try and say that they didn't optimize the texture / object loading at this late in the stage is foolish, no? Regardless, if a company sends review code, I consider it as final.

Excuse my ignorance but who do you work for that you are getting review copies?

Evlar

Banned
Kestastrophe said:
I'm sorry, I thought that the video that I linked to (the IGN comparison vid) was only 5 minutes long. I was unaware that it contained hours of PS3 footage.

I was under the impression that the PS3 version does not have pop-in and this clip shows that is not the case. What's the fucking problem?

I am not going to argue with that. This is IGN, dude.
Who's been claiming that? Reviews and impressions so far have said pop-in exists in both versions, and a couple comments indicate it happens more frequently in one version than the other. The IGN review copied to the OP:
For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in. The 360 has richer colors, but the PS3 has better anti-aliasing making it look a little cleaner. Because GTA IV can preload onto the PS3 hard drive, the in-game loads are faster. Don't worry Xbox owners, the load times are rarely more than 30 seconds and don't occur very often. The slight visual edge goes to PS3, but the 360 is no slouch. Either version will do you proud.

Emiru

Banned
Evlar said:
Who's been claiming that? Reviews and impressions so far have said pop-in exists in both versions, and a couple comments indicate it happens more frequently in one version than the other.
Reading the comments from the ps3 fans you would not think thats the case.

Seriously some of these pop-up signs/benches/trees are absolutely ridiculous. I can understand buildings in the background and maybe certain objects far in the distance but stuff that has a clear effect on the actual gameplay should have been ironed out.

For fuck's sake Rockstar nobody wants to be driving away from a crime scene just to smash into an invisible object and get wasted by the cops. If it comes between that object and a billboard in the distance then put the priority on that object!

JB1981 said:
DMC looks better on 360, Uncharted is the best looking game ever but does have screen tearing - whats the problem?

Problem is you probably haven't seen andrewfee's bullshit screenshots and vids and how he spams the forum with them.

Surfheart

Anyone that has played both versions, does the PS3 have the dotty dithered shadow edges and the dithered looking middle distance objects that are in the depth of field filter?

2real4tv

JB1981 said:
DMC looks better on 360, Uncharted is the best looking game ever but does have screen tearing - whats the problem?

thats in your opinion Ive played both 360 first than ps3 could not tell a difference

MercuryLS

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Seriously some of these pop-up signs/benches/trees are absolutely ridiculous. I can understand buildings in the background and maybe certain objects far in the distance but stuff that has a clear effect on the actual gameplay should have been ironed out.

For fuck's sake Rockstar nobody wants to be driving away from a crime scene just to smash into an invisible object and get wasted by the cops. If it comes between that object and a billboard in the distance then put the priority on that object!

Those gifs really aren't representative of the final X360 version (running off a disc), I didn't see pop-in nearly that bad when I played.

I hope gametrailers puts up a good comparison eventually. This thread has formed a really shitty pattern of events. I think we are another page or two from another guy coming in just to say "Whats wrong with you people!" without realizing what the point of this thread actually is. Before that there will be more FUD with people thinking its so bad only to have someone who played the game come in and say it isnt that bad, then claims of bias, and so on and on.

MercuryLS said:
Those gifs really aren't representative of the final X360 version (running off a disc), I didn't see pop-in nearly that bad when I played.

Post some gifs or it didn't happen.
That's what it is going to come down to.
Not that it matters because it won't resolve anything.
So instead we should just wait for the end.

Nitsuj23

I just have a hard time believing there's pop ins that bad, and they weren't mention in any of the reviews. They said some pop ins, nothing that severe.

Banned
fortified_concept said:
I hope Dot50Cal's horrible popups are just an isolated problem on his console. This shit's unacceptable.

Since none of the other reviews say anything about pop-in that bad I would say it is isolated to him.

Swifty

I wonder if this problem is related to pop-in problems in the PC GTAs. If you turn off the frame-rate limiter in the PC GTA games (III, Vice City, San Andreas), your game is silky smooth but the pop-in is fucking awful even if you have the latest off-the-shelf hardware. It takes seconds for the environment to load in.

I dunno, maybe 360 advocates can use this as an argument saying that maybe the framerate on the 360 version is too fast. :lol

So to sum up thread

360: Horrible fucking dog shit with horrible pop in

Ps3: The fucking godly version without flaw

Just wondering. In all honesty what seems to be the verdict at this point? And I hope it comes from someone without bias.

Emiru

Banned
Nitsuj23 said:
I just have a hard time believing there's pop ins that bad, and they weren't mention in any of the reviews. They said some pop ins, nothing that severe.
I think its dot50cal spreading fud.

Nitsuj23 said:

I mean if it was seriously that much of an issue wouldn't the 360 and PS3 graphic scores reflect it as such? Then again you never can tell with IGN. They were probably too busy slapping 10s on everything.

Either way it's a big fucking mess and isn't making the wait for GTA4 any shorter. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom