• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

zig

Dot50Cal said:
No, you cant. I was in the air when it popped in, I had no chance to dodge it as my wheels were not on the pavement.
It popped in on your first bounce then you hit the ground with your wheels turned to the left and bounced again into the tree. Clearly this was all your fault. :p

Pimpbaa

Truespeed said:
Great job, Matlock. But are you sure it's not the pirated version running off a 16x DVD burn?

I dunno what it is. But It's the same picture (with the buildings photoshopped in). The people are in the exact same postions, with the exact same poses, exact time of day...etc Which would be impossible to do if a person was trying to truely compare the area from the 2 versions.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I've played the PS3, Xbox 360, PC, and Wii 2 versions and I can assure everyone that there is no pop in like there is on that video of dot50cal's game running off a hard drive!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Crushed said:
10qvrbk.jpg

mvq7pi.jpg
Wii version?!

Yoboman

Dot50Cal said:
Better. Every game I've loaded to the HDD has run considerably better (in texture loading, loading, streaming etc).
But that's not assured right? I don't want that in my version :(

Dot50Cal

Banned
CowboyAstronaut said:
You sure that review copy is 100% code complete just like the gold copies of the game?

Review builds may contain some differences, but to try and say that they didn't optimize the texture / object loading at this late in the stage is foolish, no? Regardless, if a company sends review code, I consider it as final.

B-Ri

andrewfee said:
He's referring to me getting the PS3 version of DMC4 based off comments on this forum and regretting it, as the PS3 one blurs everything as soon as the camera moves when the 360 doesn't. [note: it is not motion blur]

wtf? never noticed that, sorry.

PS3 DMC4 looked awesome, too bad the game sucked (sans the fighting mechanics).

The only way this madness will stop is for someone to take the same console units and compare cold run/warm run on the same areas using both the review version and the final retail version.

Cloud said:
Wow there buddy don't take it so personally some might think you have a stake in this. You've made so many excuses for the 360 version people have started wondering.

It's pretty telling that the posts of someone who has spent the entire thread recounting the factual detail of his own play experience is being discounted via an emotional ploy.

"Don't take it so personally."

CA has been evenhanded this entire thread, even stating repeatedly he prefers the look of the PS3 version all things told.

And yet, instead of being refuted with facts and evidence ("Reason"), he is accused of using emotion as a crutch.

It's like a college thesis on the Modern Age Of Emotion Based Thinking come vividly to life.

ypo

Woo-Fu said:
Perhaps if you were driving on the road instead of the sidewalk you would have less trees to worry about.

Hey guys this is what GTA all about, driving on the road, obey the traffic lights. It's wonderful.

MercuryLS said:
I don't pirate, but the copy I played at my friend's house had some bad pop-up...I'm hoping it had more do to with it being pirated than anything.

In other words, you don't buy crack, but if it's offered to you. :D

Texture pop in is like an issue with it reading off the disc: of course reading off an HD its gonna load faster. Look at DMC. Why does this surprise anyone?

As a 360 owner I'm pissed as hell that they didn't give us an option for an HD install. But whatever. I'm cool with the fact my version takes a few seconds longer to load in objects or textures than the PS3. Not a big issue.

Now if there were huge fundamental differneces in the engine like the 360 ran at a lower native res, or had lower quality textures, the engine couldn't handle as much on screen...shit like that.... yeah...

Cloud said:
Wow there buddy don't take it so personally some might think you have a stake in this. You've made so many excuses for the 360 version people have started wondering.

Oh no, perhaps I'm making excuses for the 360 version because I helped with it and I'm being overly protected of the work I did with rockstar.

Watch out now!

You may never know :p

Of course I'm joking, but seriously whats wrong with saying ANYTHING at all to the contrary of things I don't find to be accurate about the different builds? Funny enough I only ever get tackled like this when I'm pointing out things to the contrary of negative things being said about the 360 version of the game. I don't think I've been tackled once so far whenever I said something good about the ps3 version. There may be a reason for that or maybe I'm over analyzing?

Wasn't I one of the first people on this site to point out in reference to something that was pointed out in a 1up preview of the 360 version that I had not once noticed such a thing in the ps3 build I was playing? The statement about traffic not being there one moment then suddenly appearing when you rotate the camera around or that it became a problem when you were probably looking for a getaway car?

I'm not exactly in a position where I'm pimping the 360 version over the ps3 version of the game or anything of the sort. I've been fair and honest on both sides so I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. I definitely learned my lesson more than once though. Being honest gets you nowhere :lol

Sandman7

Woo-Fu said:
Perhaps if you were driving on the road instead of the sidewalk you would have less trees to worry about.

Where I come from, the whole point of a sidewalk is that it doubles up as an extra lane.

andrewfee said:
He's referring to me getting the PS3 version of DMC4 based off comments on this forum and regretting it, as the PS3 one blurs everything as soon as the camera moves when the 360 doesn't. [note: it is not motion blur]

Oh I remember that. Was it the time you got banned for posting skewed screenshots of DMC4 not representative of how the game looked? Refresh my memory please, was that before or after you got banned for posting your unbiased Uncharted screen tearing vids?

Btw guys expect skewed PS3 version GTA screenshots from andrewfee soon.

Dunlop

beerbelly said:
Wow....nuke this thread already.

This thread was designed for this, so for once I don't agree.

But God fucking forbid what will happen once the retail version is out and people have actual gameplay to compare instead fabricating them.

500 pages?

Recoil

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's pretty telling that the posts of someone who has spent the entire thread recounting the factual detail of his own play experience is being discounted via an emotional ploy.

"Don't take it so personally."

CA has been evenhanded this entire thread, even stating repeatedly he prefers the look of the PS3 version all things told.

And yet, instead of being refuted with facts and evidence ("Reason"), he is accused of using emotion as a crutch.

It's like a college thesis on the Modern Age Of Emotion Based Thinking come vividly to life.

You know, I had no idea how to begin to refute his argument in a way that he couldn't throw it back, even knowing exactly what he was doing. You did it beautifully. Kudos.

tl;dr: Fuck off, cloud. You bring the level of discussion down in this thread -- something I didn't even think was possible at this point -- and absolutely destroy the credibility of the forum. You deserve a ban for such a petty and illogical argument.

Banned
CalamityDaunt said:
Oh man i'd wanna now how that run streaming off a HDD :D
Won't fix the tearing/framerate/repetitive sidequests…

B-Ri said:
wtf? never noticed that, sorry.
Yeah, apparently no-one else did either, but I'm not going into it again, as that's what got me banned last time. Here's the link if you want to see for yourself though: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/yoda-dip-jp/searchdiary?of=16&word=*[Game Compare] It did have better effects / no tearing on PS3, I just hated the blur.

fortified_concept said:
Oh I remember that. Was it the time you got banned for posting skewed screenshots of DMC4 not representative of how the game looked? Refresh my memory please, was that before or after you got banned for posting your unbiased Uncharted screen tearing vids?
That was after. I don't see how videos of Uncharted could be ‘biased’ though – denying that it happens is biased – it was a legitimate complaint about the game. I still loved Uncharted, I just found the tearing distracting. And the screens are representative of DMC4, but if you're playing on an LCD (and possibly even Plasma) then you're not going to notice it as your screen blurs more than the game does anyway.

Kestastrophe said:
http://www.rockstarwatch.net/news/469/IGN-Compares-GTAIV-for-the-PS3-and-360/

I don't know if this vid has been posted yet. At around the 2:30 mark they show the PS3 version and there is some pop-up when the helicopter first takes off (a strip of lights pops up). Nothing major at all, but it is definitely there.
So you're going to look throug hours of footage to see single occurrence of pop up on PS3 version? We can see it in pretty much every minute in every video of 360 version.

I don't see the point of this topic, there are differences, but the game is still GotG no matter the platform.

Pachael

Anyone compare prices between PS3/360 versions? I heard that the prices in the UK are different (40 quid for 360, 45 quid for PS3). Pls confirm true or not.

B-Ri

Woo-Fu said:

:lol:

i am sur eyou stop at red lights, use your turn signals, and allow the old lady to walk ALL THE WAY across the street before driving past when your being chased by the cops in gta, RIGHT?

Emiru

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
So you're going to look throug hours of footage to see single occurrence of pop up on PS3 version? We can see it in pretty much every minute in every video of 360 version.

I don't see the point of this topic, there are differences, but the game is still GotG no matter the platform.
Which vids are you watching?

B-Ri said:

i am sur eyou stop at red lights, use your turn signals, and allow the old lady to walk ALL THE WAY across the street before driving past when your being chased by the cops in gta, RIGHT?

Wouldn't it be fun to play just one mission that way, though?

"Come on, come on, come on, this TRUNK IS FILLED WITH COCAINE LADY!!!"

JB1981

fortified_concept said:

Btw guys expect skewed PS3 version GTA screenshots from andrewfee soon.
DMC looks better on 360, Uncharted is the best looking game ever but does have screen tearing - whats the problem?

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:

Now that is just not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom