• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercuryLS

Banned
Shaneus said:
I honestly would've thought that having a guaranteed 10hrs+ DLC pack would be enough to sway people. For the people who have played both, would the graphical "issues" (using that term lightly) negate any advantage that an extra 10 hours worth of story/gameplay might have?

You've gotta pay extra for that so it isn't really fair to factor that in right now. It's coming later this year, so as of right now we're comparing two products that are the same content wise.

fse

CartridgeBlower said:
You didn't put in the Kotaku article where they guy said he preferred the PS3 edition in the end.

it was his personal preference on the controller, and slight performance improvements. seems he didn't try online play on the ps3. did gamespy not put a server up yet?

Raistlin

BTW - I was too lazy to stop or call a local store before 5 today to see if I can still get the special edition on PS3 ... so I ordered it from Amazon. Of course that means I won't have it until later this week T_T

Does anyone think the special edition is worth it, or should I cancel my order and just get the regular one tomorrow?

Shaneus

MercuryLS said:
You've gotta pay extra for that so it isn't really fair to factor that in right now. It's coming later this year, so as of right now we're comparing two products that are the same content wise.
Yeah, I know... but if you're looking at something like longevity in a game you're more than likely to get that from something that has guaranteed extras than one that doesn't. Fair call, though. I'm just curious about just how captivating the game will be (for both systems) once players have finished the storyline.

just tray

Banned
Shaneus said:
I honestly would've thought that having a guaranteed 10hrs+ DLC pack would be enough to sway people. For the people who have played both, would the graphical "issues" (using that term lightly) negate any advantage that an extra 10 hours worth of story/gameplay might have?

No this wont be like the ps2 vs xbox 1 gta graphic superiority thing that went on last gen. And people still snatched up the ps2 version more than the xbox 1 version.

You have to be a lunatic to think minimal graphical enhancements>dlc

The dlc content wont be as big as the massive 3.4 gig mandatory install required on the ps3. I only have the 40 gig model and space is starting to get a little scarce. Not that I have tons of room on my 360 harddrive either, but lets say you buy 5 games this year on ps3 and they all have at least a 4 gig install. Space will become a factor in a couple years so I have to limit my ps3 games to the likes of game slike MGS4,GT5,FF13,Motorstorm 2, Resistance 2.

FrankT

And there you go. What many multiplatform owners are considering is buying the PS3 version now, and picking up the 360 version in the fall once the DLC starts crackin'. Another option is to rent the 360 version and see if it really bothers you enough to hamper the experience. And of course, if you love Achievements and Live, then the choice is pretty clear, no?

For most, it will be PS3 now, 360 in the fall for DLC episodes...a win/win for multiplatform owners.

This right here is crock and you need to kindly remove your opinions from the OP. It is your opinion that you think most multiplatform owners will pick up one version over the other. While we have on record analysts in the field saying the exact opposite. You sir are shitting up this thread more than anyone. You are no analyst.

"Online is such a strong part of the game and Microsoft has done such a great job of developing the online community, so for people who own multiple consoles, they will buy it for the 360," said IDC analyst Billy Pidgeon.

http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSN2116666620080424?pageNumber=3&virtualBrandChannel=0

On side note good to hear the 360 version has a bit better frame rate because that was my biggest concern.

just tray

Banned
Onix said:
BTW - I was too lazy to stop or call a local store before 5 today to see if I can still get the special edition on PS3 ... so I ordered it from Amazon. Of course that means I won't have it until later this week T_T

Does anyone think the special edition is worth it, or should I cancel my order and just get the regular one tomorrow?

I dont believe in special editions

fse

Jtyettis said:
This right here is crock and you need to kindly remove your opinions from the OP. It is your opinion that you think most multiplatform owners will pick up one version over the other. While we have on record analysts in the field saying the exact opposite. You sir are shitting up this thread more than anyone. You are no analyst.

http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSN2116666620080424?pageNumber=3&virtualBrandChannel=0

On side note good to hear the 360 version has a bit better frame rate because that was my biggest concern.

ya i read that too, good thing too.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
just tray said:
http://kotaku.com/384422/which-version-of-gta-iv-should-you-buy-we-compare-the-ps3-and-360-versions

Another review of GTAIV some interesting things from it.

"The Xbox 360 version seemed capable of achieving a smoother frame rate, peaking higher in certain circumstances, such as in confined spaces or during light traffic, but both versions seemed to regularly run at a similar clip"

"The Xbox 360 version can suffer from some very noticeable texture loading, as things like trees, vehicles and building signs will regularly pop-in as one tools about town. It can be distracting, especially during high speed chases, and the PS3 version isn't entirely immune from it, but it's not a game killing problem."

The two versions are so close to identical, visually, that putting together a comparison was a challenge. Initially, it appeared that the PS3 suffered from more noticeable aliasing than its 360 counterpart, but after eyeballing the final retail copy, they appear to be on par.

If you're looking for more GTA IV, and you may very well be after you've completed the core game, you're going to want the 360 version.

The Xbox 360 version has the requisite list of Achievements exclusive to the platform, creative and challenging goals that sometimes go beyond the regular gaming experience. However, as with other GTA games, stat-tracking for kills, stunt jumps, and the dozens of extras will keep completionists on the PS3 side happy.

The PS3 version has optional SIXAXIS motion controls for piloting helicopters, steering boats and doing motorcycle tricks. You'll probably leave it off, just like I did.

The good news for Grand Theft Auto fans is that whatever platform you have chosen as your own, GTA IV excels on both.

50 more pages of bitching confirmed.

God, can't we all just be happy we are getting such an awesome game this tuesday?

Hcoregamer00 said:

God, can't we all just be happy we are getting such an awesome game this tuesday?

Because 98% of us don't have it yet. Trust me, things will turn around once everyone does. From what I've seen, anyone who still has the capacity to bitch and nitpick after actually having this game in their mitts...*shudder*...I don't even want to think about it.

Roat

Banned
Onix said:
Does anyone think the special edition is worth it, or should I cancel my order and just get the regular one tomorrow?[/b]

I just looked it up. Let's see, a metal box, a keychain, a bag and the usual artbook that you look through once and stick it on your bookshelf along with the soundtrack that you'll never want to play since you'll have heard the songs a thousand times after playing the game.

Yeah. Personally I don't think any of that will increase my enjoyment of the game any. I do know there are collectors out there, but seriously, a keychain and lockbox? I'd rather a huge top quality poster.

Why are people angry there is bitching and hollering and lively fanboy discussion in this thread? It's a video games forum. This is why we are here and I'm lovin every second of it!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Hcoregamer00 said:

But today is Monday?

Tobor

BenjaminBirdie said:
Because 98% of us don't have it yet. Trust me, things will turn around once everyone does. From what I've seen, anyone who still has the capacity to bitch and nitpick after actually having this game in their mitts...*shudder*...I don't even want to think about it.

I agree 100%, but I'd go ahead and prepare to shudder if I were you.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
CartridgeBlower said:
Why are people angry there is bitching and hollering and lively fanboy discussion in this thread? It's a video games forum. This is why we are here and I'm lovin every second of it!

Well, there is a difference with bitching and hollering, and just being plain idotic.

MobiusPigeon said:
the ps3 version has an x on the map you fool.

even the colors are different. somethings up. HMMMMM...

GTA4 doesn't look so flattering in direct feed videos or even screens. When you're playing the thing as it's in front of you running on a nice HDTV you see the types of nice colors that are on display in that screwed up gif with all the pop in.

The gametrailer video review for example doesn't even scratch the surface of properly displaying how awesome GTA4 really looks.

If that one with all that insane pop-in truly was from a burned pirated copy then I'm stunned anyone in here would try to pass that rubbish off as being from any legit copy of the game.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Shaneus said:
That's if you play it in Australia... censored and upside down :D

2cp3gua.jpg

BenjaminBirdie said:

Whatever. When people start doing comparisons when the game is out, I am not touching that. Once gametrailers does their comparison and I think about it for a bit and decide which version to get, i'm done with this thread. It has calmed down now that it is getting late in America.

NolbertoS

Just saw the IGN head to head comparison and I think they compared the wrong scenes. To have a better comparison, you gotta compare the game throughout many actions, like running, walking, shooting, driving a car at high speeds, brightness of world, etc. They only picked a few variables to compare. I'm guessing the only way to provide a "100%" comparison is run the game through various scenarios. Even after all this fiasco, I'll be playing the PS3 version initially, and than if and when GTAIV gets more exclusive d/l's like Oblivion expansion paks, I'll buy a "used" 360 copy for it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I honestly don't think I'll be able to fit this game in with LOTR:Online but I generally like to play a game when the rest of GAF is going crazy about it.

TIME TO MAKE SOME VIDEO GAME RELATED SACRAFICES ;_;

just tray

Banned
You really can't go wrong with either version but I'm still going with the 360 one.I hope that Saints Row 2 doesn't start another 90 page thread.Not that that game deserves to be mentioned amongst the likes of gta4. If sit does I would have to look down upon gaf from an audience point of view while throwing raw meat into the cage and repeatedly yelling fight!fight!fight!

HokieJoe

Wow, if I buy this game I think I'll pick up the 360 version. The PS3 fanboi's in this thread are too much. To paraphrase CoH: "Swing those purses like you mean it boy's."

:lol

Roat

Banned
What's up with that fog/effect on the 360 version from 3:30 on that video? Is the PS3 missing the effect or is the 360 doing a Superman 64?

Liberty4all

Banned
I don't have enough time to play everything I want too.

Been putting alot of hours into Warhawk, I'm in the MGO beta, will be playing GTA tomorrow ... I was considering picking up a Wii today for Mario Kart but didn't bother I just don't have enough hours in the day to play everything I want to.

Damn you real life responsiblities, damnnn youuuuuuuuu!

newsguy

This is amazing. I swear that when people were talking about making a comparison thread way back during the hype thread, I thought they were joking. I thought "surely we don't need a thread just to keep the BS out of the official thread." Thanks GAF, for the first time I'm having the sad "This is Neogaf Dude" experience.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Wait, what? I thought people were saying the PS3 version had less framerate hiccups.

i'm guessing they both have hiccups and it's probably almost at random when they do/don't drop - so it might just end up being that it just depends on how lucky/unlucky you are, though i'd have thought the hd streaming for PS3 should give it the edge.

Swifty

Marty Chinn said:
Wait, what? I thought people were saying the PS3 version had less framerate hiccups.
Pop-in is an assets loading problem and has nothing to do with the framerate. The 3D GTA games always render frames unconditionally even though the assets haven't been loaded into memory yet. Try playing the PC GTAs without the frame limiter turned on. The pop-in is terrible.

dfyb

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Not according to Kotaku.
kotaku said absolutely nothing about framerate hiccups actually. they claimed 360 had higher MAX framerates in low traffic areas and confined spaces (as in, when nothing is going on) :lol

and... it's kotaku. i'll take their word with a grain of salt and their framerate claim is just weird.

_Angelus_

Banned
The old 2600 vs. Intellevision wars ain't got nothing over this topic.
And on that note I miss walking into Montgomery Ward during the holidays,seeing the NFL playoffs,getting hot chocolate at the coffee area, and then running over to the gaming area and seeing both systems side by side.:(

Such different times.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
dfyb said:
kotaku said absolutely nothing about framerate hiccups actually. they claimed 360 had higher MAX framerates in low traffic areas and confined spaces (as in, when nothing is going on) :lol

and... it's kotaku
Woah. You actually read what was written.

And, yes, it's Kotaku.

Swifty said:
Pop-in is an assets loading problem and has nothing to do with the framerate. The 3D GTA games always render frames unconditionally even though the assets haven't been loaded into memory yet. Try playing the PC GTAs without the frame limiter turned on. The pop-in is terrible.

I'm not talking about pop-in. I'm talking about framerate. Earlier it was said that the pop-in was less on the ps3 and there were less framerate drops as well. I understand the difference and I was only interested in the framerate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom