• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceatcs

Crushed said:
2n8v906.gif
Fixed
2n8v906_fix.gif

Evlar

Banned
Yoboman said:
Is there really anyone who wouldn't install on either system?
I guarantee you there will be dozens of posts from people throwing a fit over the mandatory PS3 installation. There already have been, in fact.

... Despite that, and the bitching over this issue on other games, I've yet to see anyone answer that question.

Banned
Balthier said:
you're bragging for nothing. the 630p thing came from examining a badly encoded image on IGN

Dr_Cogent said:
I think that's a pretty shitty source to get from. They are compressed images, so how can this sort of thing be considered reliable?

sprocket said:
lol the ps3 version is 720p. You guys are trying way too hard. The game looks awesome on both consoles!

boohoo.gif

Mash

Should I even bother reading this thread or is it the usual bunch of retards arguing about the usual retarded shit?

Yoboman said:
360 hard drives are pokier, and i haven't seen any hard figures for the loading speed increase... i'm guessing it'd be less of an increase on the 360. if it reduced pop up then i think most people would find room.

options are good is all i'm saying.

Jtyettis said:
So you think the frame rate comments from Kotaku are subjective? Perhaps the shaper image comments from IGN podcast maybe.

Sharper image works (I didn't listened the IGN podcast, so ill take your word for it), but considering almost every other source said the frame rate was exactly the same, it kind of breaks it.

Yoboman said:

If I took the game to a friends house (like I used to do with San Andreas), I wouldn't want to sit there and install it just for some loading between islands and all that. Granted, I doubt any of my friends would buy a 360 or PS3 anymore...but still.

Jtyettis said:
So you think the frame rate comments from Kotaku are subjective? Perhaps the shaper image comments from IGN podcast maybe.

The framerate's a wash, the consensus seems to be that it's identical. Anything relating to image quality is personal taste in this case (some prefer the look of one over the other, neither look "bad", adjustable color slider in-game).

clav

All I know is within less than 24 hours, this thread won't matter any more since we'll all be playing this so awesome game.

Actually, it didn't matter to begin with.

FrankT

fortified_concept said:
Kotaku is full of shit and IGN actually said they equally have framerate drop. Btw you forgot to mention where you got your lighting superiority FUD from.

Oh, so Kotaku is full of it now, convenient. Anyhow, like I mentioned IIRC those comments came from IGN podcast.

Mash said:
Should I even bother reading this thread or is it the usual bunch of retards arguing about the usual retarded shit?
it is the usual bunch of retards arguing about the usual retarded shit but it is unusually funny.

f@luS

More than a member.
Jtyettis said:
Oh, so Kotaku is full of it now, convenient. Anyhow, like I mentioned IIRC those comments came from IGN podcast.
kotaku has always been FOS and u know it :) , anyway u fail !

Rorschach

HaloFans said:
All I know is within less than 24 hours, this thread won't matter any more since we'll all be playing this so awesome game.

Some of us will be playing. Most of GAF will be too busy flaming and spinning.

I'll be mowing down gangsters!

h3ro

HaloFans said:

You and I will... but everyone knows GAF doesn't play games... we just bitch about them.

PnCIa

I´ve been reading this thread since yesterday, and felt the whole palette of possible emotions from this topic. I just want to see a direct vs. from the same scene, under the same lighting conditions etc... Everything else is worthless imo.

plagiarize said:
360 hard drives are pokier, and i haven't seen any hard figures for the loading speed increase... i'm guessing it'd be less of an increase on the 360. if it reduced pop up then i think most people would find room.

options are good is all i'm saying.

Pokier?

Don't both consoles use 2.5in SATA 5,400 RPM drives?

Doc Evils

Jtyettis said:

Yeah not like Gaf hates Kotaku and they haven't been banned a few times.:lol

PnCIa said:
I just want to see a direct vs. from the same scene, under the same lighting conditions etc... Everything else is worthless imo.

Probably won't happen until someone with both versions does it... or Eurogamer.

FrankT

f@luS said:
kotaku has always been FOS and u know it :) , anyway u fail !

I'm sure, I've said from the start of this debate it's awash. It is only failure when you point out the flaws which reviews have pointed, but yet you can't touch on the pros or you get your face smacked, heh. They both have their pros and cons, but it wouldn't suprise me at this point if both were sub 720p either.

Xdrive05

All I'm saying is everybody said the EXACT same thing about Halo 3:

"That's not a reliable source to count pixels on because of the compression" etc.

And it turned out to be absolutely true. Compression won't fuck up the pixel count itself, unless it's the amount of compression that would make it dither like a progressively scanned GC game anyway, which it doesn't seem to be doing in that source.

But if it is 630p, the post processing makes it look clearly more than tolerable. I think they've done a great job with getting the most out of that res. If they would have applied the same technique to the 360's 720p, it would have been awesome. (though they probably couldn't because of the 360's limited edram, but that's another bitchfest unrelated to the discussion at hand).

N.A

Banned
I can't believe so many people buy in to this shit.

If you are interested in DLC get the 360 version, otherwise, get the one your friends are getting (though if you are sad enough to be arguing about the amount of pixels...).

h3ro

Jtyettis said:
I'm sure, I've said from the start of this debate it's awash. It is only failure when you point out the flaws which reviews have pointed, but yet you can't touch on the pros or you get your face smacked, heh. They both have their pros and cons, but it wouldn't suprise me at this point if both were sub 720p either.

You know what... I'm glad you're getting the 360 version...
you owned me in MGO too badly :(
:p

FrankT

h3ro said:
You know what... I'm glad you're getting the 360 version...
you owned me in MGO too badly :(
:p

Maybe I should just pick up both. Maybe that is the ulitmate win for this thread.

Hehe, that was some good MGO games last night. What is your game ID btw.

sprocket

Banned
fortified_concept said:
Yes kotaku is full of shit. It's kind of pathetic watching people defend this terrible site because it says what they want to hear.

lol thats what this thread is all about! Both Ign and EGM give the ps3 the nod graphics and performance wise. Some people just can't handle their console being less than the best every time.

h3ro

Jtyettis said:
Maybe I should just pick up both. Maybe that is the ulitmate win for this thread.

Hehe, that was some good MGO games last night. What is your game ID btw.

PM'ed you. See you online :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom